• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Shining

A copy of Devil Crash in fantastic condition I ordered from Japan a few weeks ago finally arrived today. Paid well below the usual eBay scumbag price so am well chuffed.

I still can't decide which version I prefer, the original on PCE or the MD port by TechnoSoft.
I'm in the same boat. I think the PCE version has more fluid gameplay, but on the other hand the MD port has the Omake music tracks. It's a tough one.

This IFU RGB mod is so fuckin' clean. I love the subtleness of it.

10831795_870272446359097_1700665056_n.jpg

via instgram

I'm in the same boat. I think the PCE version has more fluid gameplay, but on the other hand the MD port has the Omake music tracks. It's a tough one.
The TG16 version has better graphics and saves your scores and stuff (provided you have a CD drive or save addon of course, but you should!), while the Genesis version doesn't save. The TG16 version is better for sure, though yeah, the Genesis port is solid.

D.Lo

Finally received Gotzendiener on Friday, and played it through today. Yes I finished it, it's fairly short.

Little gem of a game. Beautiful and so mysterious. The music plays to the atmosphere very nicely.

The controls are annoying to start with, using diagonals, but I got used to them, and action-wise it's very easy so it doesn't ruin it.

Very much a simple puzzle adventure, without many annoying enemies getting in the way of the exploration. Solstice/Equinox-lite.

Mzo

Yeah, I got it right before my ban so I didn't get a chance to talk about it. Really charming game.

It feels kind of sparse and empty, though. Might've been rushed.

Can't resist awesome sprites and a female protagonist, though.

Teknoman

What kills me is how awesome the intro music is...and then the rest of the game is like...simple chip based tunes, and not the good kind.

D.Lo

What kills me is how awesome the intro music is...and then the rest of the game is like...simple chip based tunes, and not the good kind.
I found them to be cool myself. Very mysterious.
Yes it's not a kickass CD soundtrack, but that wouldn't work technically, the music plays across loads, it would have to stop if it was CD based.

Anyway for my $15 delivered I was very satisfied. Was very cool to discover and play through a game of this type 20 years later!

Teknoman

I do still want to give it a shot. Maybe its one of those OSTs that grows on you over time. I used to think Bonk's Revenge was too loud, and then now the games are some of my favorites.

D.Lo

I do still want to give it a shot. Maybe its one of those OSTs that grows on you over time. I used to think Bonk's Revenge was too loud, and then now the games are some of my favorites.
Have you not played it?

I watched a couple of vids on youtube and they're clearly emulated, and the sound is harsher and not correct BTW. It's fairly quiet and pleasant on real hardware.

Anyway I'm not saying it's the greatest thing ever but I really enjoyed it ;)

Khaz

Stop making me want real hardware, I have enough consoles already!

I thought Ootake was a great emulator though?

Teknoman

Have you not played it?

I watched a couple of vids on youtube and they're clearly emulated, and the sound is harsher and not correct BTW. It's fairly quiet and pleasant on real hardware.

Anyway I'm not saying it's the greatest thing ever but I really enjoyed it ;)

Nope, not yet anyway. I just watched that one intro video back when it was first posted about.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ugh, just bought a Turbo Everdrive not knowing they had issues with region modded white PCE's. The games get all garbled and crash.

I'm kind of thinking I need to get a second PC Engine just to play the Everdrive. Kind of a buzzkill, I'm not looking forward to needing two systems. D=

Dicer

Banned
Ugh, just bought a Turbo Everdrive not knowing they had issues with region modded white PCE's. The games get all garbled and crash.

I'm kind of thinking I need to get a second PC Engine just to play the Everdrive. Kind of a buzzkill, I'm not looking forward to needing two systems. D=

Not all region modded systems have the issues, depends on how the mod was done. I had a PCE with the same issue sadly.

rothgar

I never owned a TG16 or a PC Engine. I saw this on Ebay and I asked my wife to buy it for me as a Xmas present. It got here yesterday and it plays great.
PNYPYEs.jpg

It came with Daimakaimura and Granzot. It was a little cheaper than the other SG systems because it didn't come with the AV cables and power supply. The AV cables were easy to find but it took me a while find the power supply. I bought the TurboEverdrive and hopefully I'll have some time to test out some games. I'm in no hurry but I will look into buying a CDROM2 drive so I can play CD games some time next year.

baphomet

Had I known you were there I would have asked you to pick me up a decent looking Famicom as well.

I never owned a TG16 or a PC Engine. I saw this on Ebay and I asked my wife to buy it for me as a Xmas present. It got here yesterday and it plays great.
PNYPYEs.jpg

It came with Daimakaimura and Granzot. It was a little cheaper than the other SG systems because it didn't come with the AV cables and power supply. The AV cables were easy to find but it took me a while find the power supply. I bought the TurboEverdrive and hopefully I'll have some time to test out some games. I'm in no hurry but I will look into buying a CDROM2 drive so I can play CD games some time next year.

Not my Super CD Rom2, but they look awesome together. Both of them are rgb modded as well.

baphomet

How would you describe the Supergrafx rgb mod? Hard as an NES or easier like the N64 mod?

Closer to an nes simply because you have to remove the 5 pin din and replace it with an 8 pin. And those old boards were never super sturdy in the NEC stuff.

D.Lo

Whipped up an AV cable with crimp pins for my $20 PCE:

Such an amazing little system the original White PCE. So tiny compared to my behemoth Duo RX, which is as big as a PS3 slim.

Will do an internal RGB Mod next I think. Mega Drive 2 9-pin mini-din, so can use it with a composite Sega cable too.

Looks like it might be tough, advice baphomet?

I am trying to get my cd part of Turbo duo to spin. All it does it go back and forth about a 1/4 inch or so. I am attempting to adjust the 102 and 104 pots but with no luck?

Can i post a video to youtube if that would help in my explaning?

D.Lo

I am trying to get my cd part of Turbo duo to spin. All it does it go back and forth about a 1/4 inch or so. I am attempting to adjust the 102 and 104 pots but with no luck?

Can i post a video to youtube if that would help in my explaning?
Adjusting the pots is a complete bitch. I'd suggest looking at youtube clips on the subject, and being super careful, or seeing it to a pro. Seriously these things are a nightmare, I worked on one for hours once.

Mercutio

Adjusting the pots is a complete bitch. I'd suggest looking at youtube clips on the subject, and being super careful, or seeing it to a pro. Seriously these things are a nightmare, I worked on one for hours once.

Oh man. Yeah. Adjusting pots is awful. Before anyone does it, they should ask themselves how much they liked the lock picking game in skyrim. It is hours of that. Awful.

Bar81

Stuff like that is so boring. It shows a complete lack of any gaming sense (or originality) to collect every game on a system. It's the lowest form of collector mentality.

D.Lo

This Youtuber has a complete Dreamcast NA CIB collection and is going for a Turbo Graphic CIB complete collection--he already has 77 or 84 releases. Crazy! Especially since he's going for CIB and Turbo games are already expensive as fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq1ncPFqb8U
I tried watching it and skipping to games but it was just an annoying person talking about themselves to camera. Timing for the TG16 collection stuff?

Still, weird thing to collect, I don't understand a US-centric approach when the Japanese library is so superior. I reckon for PCE and Saturn something like 40 of the top 50 games on the systems were Japan-only.

Still, weird thing to collect, I don't understand a US-centric approach when the Japanese library is so superior. I reckon for PCE and Saturn something like 40 of the top 50 games on the systems were Japan-only.

1. Japanese language scares off some people.2
2. Bragging rights: the US versions are a lot pricier in most cases.

The YT guy surely doesn´t sound like someone who loves to actually play his games.

Dicer

Banned
I tried watching it and skipping to games but it was just an annoying person talking about themselves to camera. Timing for the TG16 collection stuff?

People are import phobic, no idea why honestly, most of the PCE library outside RPG's is very friendly to pick up and play...

That YouTube guy is a collector, and not a fan of the actual games...the worst kind of person in this day and age of retro gaming, because they make everything cost more for those that actually want to play these things.

That YouTube guy is a collector, and not a fan of the actual games...the worst kind of person in this day and age of retro gaming, because they make everything cost more for those that actually want to play these things.

For people that "actually want to play retro games" there are a lot of alternatives, like retro game compilations on more modern consoles, the PlayStation Store and Virtual Console and so on. And those are usually fairly reasonably priced.

So it doesn´t necessarily have to get really pricey, if you´re just out to play games. Admittedly, not all retro games are available that way.

I sort of consider myself a collector too, because I prefer playing retro games on the original hardware and I also like to just have boxes on my shelves rather than digital downloads. I don´t just collect for the sake of it though. The GameCube was my first ever console, so getting games for these old platforms is more of an exploration into 8 and 16-bit console gaming for me that I have never previously experienced. Turns out I missed out on quite a bit of awesome games.

Also if you look at the people buying retro games nowadays I wonder how large the part is that is only in it for collecting purposes. Probably not a whole lot. So the current prices being so high has probably more to do with the number of "real" gamers who want to replay their old games, or - like me - experience these games for the first time. And with sellers trying hard to maximize profit.

entremet

Try 7:10.

Teknoman

You know what, Im just gonna throw caution to the wind, buy Ys IV, burn the translation patch, and just play it on my PCengine Duo. I know there is that thing that CD-Rs stress out the laser eventually or whatever, but its only one game, and if there is any truth to that, I can just replace the laser myself down the line.

On that note, when did Wanderers from Ys become so expensive? Been looking for a good deal on that for awhile.

Dicer

Banned
You know what, Im just gonna throw caution to the wind, buy Ys IV, burn the translation patch, and just play it on my PCengine Duo. I know there is that thing that CD-Rs stress out the laser eventually or whatever, but its only one game, and if there is any truth to that, I can just replace the laser myself down the line.

On that note, when did Wanderers from Ys become so expensive? Been looking for a good deal on that for awhile.

FUDDY FUD FUD FUD...only rule of thumb slow burn that CDR FTW

Awesome to know. Is YSIV the only RPG with a translation so far?

Ys IV is the only one with the voiced dialog translated as well as text, yes. Some TG16 HuCard games do have translation patches, though (though of course you'd need a flashcart to play them on the real system), and on CD Xak III has a text translation (but voice dialog is still in untranslated Japanese). Several more RPG translations (probably just text translations) have been in the works for years, including Legend of Xanadu II, but I don't think any have actually finished...

Sharkie's Gaming Controllers
#10: NEC Power Console (PC Engine SuperGrafx) (Prototypes & Unreleased Controllers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Jjy5Y7BcQ

Haha... I wonder how the guy that made that video found the fake "Power Console game" screenshots and that faked "power console with Super CD" picture, without finding the page that page links to that explains how the fake images were made?

Article: http://www.chrismcovell.com/PowerConsole/index.html
Making Of: http://www.chrismcovell.com/PowerConsole/makingof.html

Now, the Power Console WAS a real, cancelled accessory, and it really did look like that. But those "Power Console" games there are not real. It's amazing how long false things can stick around online...

Top Bottom