• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

I want to play Quiz Econosaurus so bad now but there's no way it lives up to that tagline.

I hope this question isn't too out of line, cuz I guess it's a bit of a shill, so apologies in advance:

I've got a Duo-R I bought off doujindance years ago. It's RGB modded. I'm thinking of selling it, but I'd rather not use eBay and I'm pretty out of the loop when it comes to the current retro scene. Anyone know of a good place to post it other than the B/S/T thread here?

Rydeen

I hope this question isn't too out of line, cuz I guess it's a bit of a shill, so apologies in advance:

I've got a Duo-R I bought off doujindance years ago. It's RGB modded. I'm thinking of selling it, but I'd rather not use eBay and I'm pretty out of the loop when it comes to the current retro scene. Anyone know of a good place to post it other than the B/S/T thread here?

Is there a retro game trading group near your area on Facebook? If so, join it and post it there. There's also the PC Engine FX discussion forum with a buy/sell/trade discussion thread as well.

Teknoman

Hey, Turbografx GAF! I finally decided to join in the fun (the hard way).

sGJEYmW.jpg

That's a Pioneer Laseractive with the imaginatively named PAC-N10 installed, which allows it to play TurboChip, Turbo CD, Super CD, and LD-ROM (Laserdisc) games. And here's my burgeoning collection for the system.

9kj9biB.jpg

I'm really digging Neutopia and Ys Book I & II especially. I've also got two of the three LD-ROM titles that were released in the US.

mRVXM7g.jpg

Quiz Ecnosaurus is an edutainment title that came included with the PAC-N10, but Manhattan Requiem seems kind of promising.

I did have one question for anyone who might have experience with the Laseractive. I've got the Sega PAC-S10, as well, and the picture for both it and the Turbografx PAC have pretty significant ghosting. I know these things have issues with leaky capicitors, but I'd be surprised if that's what's causing the exact same issue (and no others) for both PACs. Does anyone know if this is just an issue with the Laseractive video output?

Anyway, I'm both excited and terrified to start collecting for this system. Stuff's not cheap, but there sure seems to be a lot of great software for the platform.

Thats amazing o_o So many system combos i've never heard of.

thomasos

I want to play Quiz Econosaurus so bad now but there's no way it lives up to that tagline.

It's really just a rudimentary quiz game focused on environmental themes...with lots of dinosaur trimmings for some reason. I imagine it was designed primarily for elementary classrooms.

alf717

Is $75 dollars a good price for a TG-16 with no games but all hook ups? Never owned of these before and I'm kind of interested in it.

i've been looking at all the retro appreciation threads today.

every time i look at the tgx16, i remember the back of EGM and Gamepro covers, seeing a huge list of import games that would never come here thanks to nintendo's exclusive publishing rights.

i wanted to play twin cobra and shinobi so bad.
well at least i got to play one of the best versions of r-type ever.

i still play zanac's spiritual successor often.

Mercutio

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Seriously, the PC Engine has been the most rewarding system to collect for. And frankly, my most played system (between my Turbo Express during my commute and Duo R at home). Wonderful system.

Oh god... I wonder how many stuck pixels it has?

Out of curiosity how are you powering the turbo express?

Mercutio

where do you guys buy most of your prized gems:

ebay, CL?

Combination of places. I've built a PCE collection over a few years now and things have come to me a variety of ways. My best friend went on a Magical Chase hunt and got my copy there in person. Other things have come from friends living in Japan, or me buying by proxy on Yahoo Auctions Japan. EBay works fine for most common games though. And of course, I have a few... things... From Germany. Sapphire for example.

Out of curiosity how are you powering the turbo express?

Eneloop Pro batteries. They generally give me 4-5 hours, but my TE has a modern screen fitted to it. Even though it's bigger than the old screen, it is way more power efficient. I'd say I play the TE an average of 4-7 hours a week (mostly in commutes) so I generally swap the chargeables one or twice. I also have an older GBA and lots of other things that use AA, so I always have some charging.

Combination of places. I've built a PCE collection over a few years now and things have come to me a variety of ways. My best friend went on a Magical Chase hunt and got my copy there in person. Other things have come from friends living in Japan, or me buying by proxy on Yahoo Auctions Japan. EBay works fine for most common games though. And of course, I have a few... things... From Germany. Sapphire for example.

thanks! this retro appreciation thread has me curious, i came here to live vicariously through everyone's collection=) going to start and dig through the backposts on here to get an idea what's rare and common.

Mercutio

thanks! this retro appreciation thread has me curious, i came here to live vicariously through everyone's collection=) going to start and dig through the backposts on here to get an idea what's rare and common.

I'm definitely glad I squared away the rare stuff in my first year, but there's so much incredible stuff on the system for reasonable prices even now. Bomberman 94 for example. I'd put that with Dracula X, SoldierBlade, and Magical Chase as my favorite games on the platform... But it costs a fraction of the price.

I got my RGB modded Duo back and everything was going great, till I played a HuCard - PC Kid 2.

I then noticed that the colours seemed to be really dark - or oversaturated with Red, when compared to my core grafx with the external mod. They guy who did it says he can try a new board that is from France that helps with this kind of issue, so maybe that will fix it.

I also found something strange with the System card that I have for my Duo. It seems that it does not work anymore. Has anyone else had a system card fail on them?

Luckily I also have a regular system card 3.0 that I use in my briefcase set up, so I could play a bit of Sapphire.

*edit* After looking up the system card issue I found out that - or rather I forgot about the whole arcade pro / duo malarky. It seems that you need a pro to play sapphire.

Ninja Spirit is pretty fun, but it's a very short game. You can play with 1-hit deaths or with several hits per life, and on the several-hits mode the game is pretty easy; I beat it fairly quickly. Sure, it's good, but I wish it was a bit longer...

nice purchases.
are those both expensive to obtain? (just trying to get a feel of collecting) i remember atomic robo kid was the first next gen ads i saw in EGM. i thought this was released on megadrive as well...

Think you should be able to get each of them for around $20-$30 or so. They're not that cheap anymore.

Atomic Robo Kid did indeed also get a Mega Drive release. Unlike the MD release this PC Engine version is not a straight port from the arcade though. Which is why they decided to call it "Special" :)

I caved in and ordered a copy of Devil Crash.

I pretty much have all the Hu-Cards that I want, and I have the Evedrive pcb, so there is no 'need' to get any more ... but it is such a fantastic game that I wanted to get an actual copy. I almost caved in and bought Atomic Robo Kid, as that's a pretty fun game too, but I kinda have been trying to find the arcade PCB if I can.

Anyway I really only want to get PCE cd games this year, has to be said though that finding decent CD games is tough, I think most of the best stuff is on Hu format.

/=/ Also, talk about fustrating, I have a cd rom 2 unit that failed on me a few years back, it was the notorious drive gear disintergration issue. Back then, getting a replacement gear was not possible and so I bought another unit which has worked fine since.

Anyway, you can now buy the replacement drive gear easily on ebay, so I got one in and took apart the old unit and replaced the gear, only to find out that the unit does not read discs anymore. I reopened it to check that the ribbon cables were correctly connected, and they were fine. The unit moves the laser, spins the disc, but just cannot read any cds, even after cleaning the lens.

So after all that, it seems that I will have to get a new laser lens if I want to keep it. :(

Rydeen

Anyway I really only want to get PCE cd games this year, has to be said though that finding decent CD games is tough, I think most of the best stuff is on Hu format.
There's a lot of great games on the CD, it's just that there's less info on a lot of them in English because most of the best CD based games didn't get released in the U.S. for the Turbografx CD or Turbo Duo.

I just found out about Blood Gear, which is a really awesome adventure / action hybrid game with mechs that only has one (incomplete) walkthrough on Gamefaqs. Game's not very expensive at all and is really good. Also just discovered Macross 2036, a really great Macross shmup which has fully voiced cut scenes and music from the anime, and feels like you're playing an episode of the actual show. Once again, almost nothing about it in English because there's very little written about it.

There's lots of great CD games, you just have to be adventurous and do your own research to find the diamonds. If it was up to the game media on the internet to tell us about PC Engine CD games, the only one they'd talk about is Dracula X Rondo of Blood just because it's Castlevania.

Think you should be able to get each of them for around $20-$30 or so. They're not that cheap anymore.

Atomic Robo Kid did indeed also get a Mega Drive release. Unlike the MD release this PC Engine version is not a straight port from the arcade though. Which is why they decided to call it "Special" :)

Thanks foobarry81 for the prices, i forgot to check in here after my trip.

Teknoman

There's a lot of great games on the CD, it's just that there's less info on a lot of them in English because most of the best CD based games didn't get released in the U.S. for the Turbografx CD or Turbo Duo.

I just found out about Blood Gear, which is a really awesome adventure / action hybrid game with mechs that only has one (incomplete) walkthrough on Gamefaqs. Game's not very expensive at all and is really good. Also just discovered Macross 2036, a really great Macross shmup which has fully voiced cut scenes and music from the anime, and feels like you're playing an episode of the actual show. Once again, almost nothing about it in English because there's very little written about it.

There's lots of great CD games, you just have to be adventurous and do your own research to find the diamonds. If it was up to the game media on the internet to tell us about PC Engine CD games, the only one they'd talk about is Dracula X Rondo of Blood just because it's Castlevania.

Whoa it even plays Dog Fighter as the first stage track? Thats awesome.

EDIT: I really want to play Sorcerian PC engine...

thomasos

So that Laseractive Turbo PAC plays import CD/Super CD games. What are the top import-only selections folks would recommend beyond Dracula X?

Rydeen

So that Laseractive Turbo PAC plays import CD/Super CD games. What are the top import-only selections folks would recommend beyond Dracula X?

I'll have to look through my games so I'll probably edit this later, but off the top of my head:

Star Parodia - Hudson's answer to Konami's Parodius, a cute-em-up starring Bomberman, Paro Ceasar from Star Soldier, and the PC Engine itself. Incredible soundtrack, and the game feels like a big love letter to PC Engine loyalists for sticking with the little Hu-card console that could.

Macross 2036 - Mentioned above. Decent shmup with excellent music and cut-scenes. Continuation of the SDF Macross / Robotech series, following Milia and Max's daughter fighting against splinter factions of the now peaceful Zentradi. Levels are straight shmup action, with boss encounters playing like Forgotten Worlds.

Blood Gear - Excellent adventure / action hybrid mech game from Westone, creators of the Wonderboy series. Top down towns and NPC interactions, side-scrolling mech action levels. You will need to use a guide to play it, but not impossible.

Kaze Kiri - Expensive but very solid ninja action game. The point of the game is mastering the very expansive moveset, and taking out enemies as quickly as possible. Just trying to hack up every ninja you confront doesn't always work, so you have to get clever and figure out what strategy works against which enemies. The bosses work the same way too. Where the first few bosses can be taken out by running up to them and hacking away, later bosses do require more strategy and timing because of higher defense or stronger attacks that will decimate your health bar in a matter of seconds.

I've really been enjoying this game, and most of the Youtube playthroughs or clips do NOT do this game justice for how deep and thoughtful the move list actually is in Kaze Kiri. For instance, I've seen Youtube play videos where the player walked everywhere in the gameplay footage, and online reviews saying the game is "slow", neither one realizing you can run and attack Shinobi 3-style by pressing up on the control pad as you move left and right.

Spriggan - Do you enjoy MUSHA on the Genesis? If so, check this one out. Also made by Compile, has the same awesome top down shmup mech action as it's cousin on the Mega Drive.

Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou - Awesome port of Gradius II, plays super-smooth, and the redbook audio gets you pumped. I was never that big a fan of Gradius II until I played this port, now it's probably one of my favorite in the series.

Kaizō Chōjin Schbibinman 3 / Shockman 3 - The third in the Schbibinman series, and the only one without weird control / hit detection issues on the PC Engine. Really polished side scrolling action game. I've seen people on this board complain about the length, but if the whole game is fun from beginning to end, who cares?

Celine

To add to Rydeen.

Pomping World: Good conversion of Mitchell classic Pang.

Bakusho Yoshimoto No Shinkigeki: As a platform game it is very simple and decent at best.
What separate it and might be worth your purchase it is that's basically a cinematic comedy platformer.
It's a fun ride the first time but it really lacks depth because gameplay and level design is dead simple.

Kabuki Ittōryōdan (if you have the Arcade Card): Good looking and fun fighting game by Hudson starring Tengai Makyou characters.
It has balancing issues but it's a good purchase if you want to play an exclusive fighting game for PCE.

Kaizō Chōjin Schbibinman 3 / Shockman 3 - The third in the Schbibinman series, and the only one without weird control / hit detection issues on the PC Engine. Really polished side scrolling action game. I've seen people on this board complain about the length, but if the whole game is fun from beginning to end, who cares?
Graphics/music/presentation is very polished, level design not so much unfortunately.
Length is fine.
I still recommend the game.

piggychan

wow their score for Ordyne. That really does not deserve scores anywhere near Deep Blue's..

At least a solid 6.5

Granted it's lost of lot of the fancy sprite rotation and scaling of it's arcade parent but the gameplay is there.

AmyS

Gonna play some Ordyne from PS1 Namco Museum Vol. 4 on PS Vita tonight.
At one point long ago, I actually thought Ordyne was by IREM, for whatever reason.

...Speaking of IREM and PC-Engine....

oxAcpTt.jpg

Mercutio

wow their score for Ordyne. That really does not deserve scores anywhere near Deep Blue's..

At least a solid 6.5

Granted it's lost of lot of the fancy sprite rotation and scaling of it's arcade parent but the gameplay is there.

Reviewers of that era didn't know what they had in this country. I feel like you can always add a few points onto any Shmup score in those days.

piggychan

If you don't mind something a little different try this title out.

NEMURENU YORU NO CHIISANA OHANASHI / 眠れぬ夜の小さなお話

which can be translated roughly like "sleepless nights small talks" or "short stories sleepless nights".

A35586B9-974F-4E0A-AAC9-E86F9E74AF8B.jpg

MAKER: NEC HOME ELECTRONICS
RELEASE: 30 JULY 1993
FORMAT: SUPER CD-ROM

This game features pop songs and narration from a japanese pop artist Yuko Hara 原 由子 who may also have been the main creator of the characters. Incidentally you can also find a version of Nemureno yoru no chiisana ohanashi for the japanese 3DO too.

This is not really a game but more of a point and click interactive book for little kids. The story is based around Neko kun befriending a fallen star called Hoshi kun where Neko kun nurses back to health but eventually Hoshi Kun has to go back to the night heavens leaving Neko kun back down on earth. After this departure neko kun is free to roam around the island which strangely is shaped just like Neko's head.

71D5BFC9-3C89-4A54-A617-CE3A12BA7702.jpg

Once this island opens up you are free to visit other places where Neko kun will meet other friends perhaps to help fill the void left from his starry friend. You will have to point and click away to interact with objects and places to discovering some of these anthropomorphic characters which in turn will unlock some hidden games.

nekokun.jpg

Each of these story segments and games can be played again, and again, or can be stopped at anytime by hitting the little cat heat or the island icons located at the bottom of the screen.

39968C9F-85A6-4881-A112-D61C69EFBAF7.jpg

Whats really appealing about this game is that it is just so cute. The developers have poured some love when creating this game and the music is just so upbeat and has a real quality about it. If you are someone of a sarcastic and jaded disposition then you might want to GTFO from this title but if you don't mind something which is all about friendship, caring and adventure have a look and taste the sugary coating of Nemurenu Yoru no Chiisana Ohanashi. Despite being mostly voiced all in Japanese and there is hardly any written text you can probably wade through it all in short time but again every segment can be replayed again and again.

Can be played with controller or a pc engine mouse and despite being a title for younger people I can't help but like this quite a lot. There is also hardly any objectives in this title and as a game it's one of those japanese oddities, perhaps one of those relaxing titles to wade through while tucked in a warm bed with a cup of hot coco and you are trying to get to sleep :p
It should be pretty cheap to pick up too and please do!

The pc engine game intro can be found here with music and lyrics by Yuko Hara.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJJid-XE9tg

original Japanese TV commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsPbRPvp6ZA

IrishNinja

damn...i know it's not supposed to be good, but i still gotta boot up Space Fantasy Zone one day, just to see the streams cross

Teknoman

Wow... Legendary Axe 2 is the truth.

Think im gonna get my PC engine duo modded this month. Can it's headphone port be used like the Sega Genesis model 1 (stereo sound output), since i'll be plugging the scart cable into a component converter with no rca break aways or whatever.

piggychan

Wow... Legendary Axe 2 is the truth.

Think im gonna get my PC engine duo modded this month. Can it's headphone port be used like the Sega Genesis model 1 (stereo sound output), since i'll be plugging the scart cable into a component converter with no rca break aways or whatever.

does the duo have rca connectors like the old briefcase set up?

this might work. that's uk link so check to see if you can get it closer to where you are.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Stereo-Socket-Phono-Plugs/dp/B0009N1MV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452189448&sr=8-1&keywords=rca+to+headphone

Top Bottom