• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

OOOOOH (sorry, fanboy in me screaming) Devil's Crush! the only pinball game worth buying full price in the super charged 8-bit-16-bit era =)

Got my Devil Crash, such a great pinball game! Music is top notch!

vny4Gxh.jpg

bumping your post back up top

piggychan

Got my Devil Crash, such a great pinball game! Music is top notch!

vny4Gxh.jpg

fantastic. the other pinball games Alien Crush and Time Cruise are great too but I feel I only need just the one in my collection and it's this. Looks like someone is a fan of Ghibli movies :p

Just received a 6 button controller and a new system card (Arcade Card Pro) for the briefcase set up (If you are using any CD hardware post briefcase system it should be just the Arcade Card) and that tennokoe save bank which is really weird in use.
5363edaa-c27b-480e-8e62-1f814e2cb209.jpg

piggychan

god, that six button controller is so cool looking - the FB PCE group has one for like $25 right now too i think

I'm kinda tempted to getting another 6 button controller but not right now...

This was posted on another forum but there is speculation that this screen shot is taken from the pc engine version of Ninja Spirit during SCEA's 1995 E3 conference on their playstation. 2D sub standard graphics eh....

sonyconference.jpg

https://youtu.be/ClvEzZoYb1Y

Mercutio

god, that six button controller is so cool looking - the FB PCE group has one for like $25 right now too i think

It's okay. I don't like the d-pad on that variant at all. The Hori version is infinitely superior, and became my daily driver immediately after I bought it.

I think the Hori ones were only $35 - $40 brand new for a while.

MikeMyers

Thinking of getting one of these systems. Should I go for a Japanese one? Seems like a case for where the import stuff is a lot cheaper.

And what's with the PC-FX? I never hear about that, even from Turbographx-16 enthusiasts.

Mercutio

Thinking of getting one of these systems. Should I go for a Japanese one? Seems like a case for where the import stuff is a lot cheaper.

And what's with the PC-FX? I never hear about that, even from Turbographx-16 enthusiasts.

Yeah the Japanese Duo R or Duo RX is the best model to buy. The discs are interchangeable with no region locking, and the mod to play USA hucards won't run too much.

The PC FX was an NEC follow up and was meant to compete with the PS1 era stuff. It sucked really badly. Very different system, despite a similar controller to late Duo RX pads. Avoid.

^oh, okay - just looked it up, Hori Fighting Commander right? looks really nice!

Yeah it's the best controller. All the comfort of the SNES with six buttons. Best dpad on the platform, apart from the Turbo Express.

EDIT: Ironically, the SNES version of the Hori Fighting Commander kind of sucks for anything other than fighting games. L and R on the far right of the pad feels weird.

piggychan

I am really enjoying the pc engine version of Brandish. Not too keen on playing with the mouse as it gets a little tricky to control the main character when the action heats up.

D.Lo

For some reason I now have a weird obsession with getting the PC Engine Wonder Boy games. So far I have Bikkuriman World (Monster Land) , Dynastic Hero (Monster World) and Wonder Boy: Monster Lair.

I already have Famicom Takahashi Meijin, so I Just need Adventure Island (Dragon's Trap) and I'll have the complete non-Sega Wonder Boy set.

Actually might as well go the whole hog and complete my Sega set too. Monster World IV is expensive though...

piggychan

For some reason I now have a weird obsession with getting the PC Engine Wonder Boy games. So far I have Bikkuriman World (Monster Land) , Dynastic Hero (Monster World) and Wonder Boy: Monster Lair.

I already have Famicom Takahashi Meijin, so I Just need Adventure Island (Dragon's Trap) and I'll have the complete non-Sega Wonder Boy set.

Actually might as well go the whole hog and complete my Sega set too. Monster World IV is expensive though...

You might as well also get Takahashi meijin no shin boken jima for the pc engine. AKA New Adventure Island - Turbografx.

It's also got quite a high difficult level to it. I just wished that Hudson Soft kept that dynamic graphic style from the SNES game and brought it over to the pce version alas... plus I wished the music was more fitting and they made more use of the sampled bongo drums in game...

COVER-Takahashi_Meijin.jpg

D.Lo

Adventure Island as a whole is a whole new spinoff. Apart from the first, none of them are ports of Wonder Boy games.

But yeah I'll probably fall down that money-sink eventually too.

Teknoman

Success! PC engine DUO does work just fine with a 3.5MM to RCA via the headphone jack. So a Genesis like solution for getting sound and RGB without any breakout should work perfectly.

D.Lo

Hey team, if anyone is interested I've written up a little article about the PCE for my site.

It's mostly a sort of introduction as an excuse to include PCE game reviews on the site ;)

Hey team, if anyone is interested I've written up a little article about the PCE for my site.

It's mostly a sort of introduction as an excuse to include PCE game reviews on the site ;)

Interesting read, as always.

I'm not sure though that I would call the HuCard a rip-off of SEGA's My Cards. Hudson had been experimenting for several years (first releases date back to 1985, pretty much around the time the first My Cards were introduced) with the so-called BeeCards on the MSX: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bee_Card

Both the My Cards and BeeCards were produced by Mitsubishi.

BeeCards

D.Lo

I read about those, and yes maybe not a rip-off of the tech, but Sega beat them to market for games on cards on a console by two years, and then they were presented very similarly.

Both being made by Mitsubishi, that I did not know!

Being a Konami fan you may want to get Pooyan on BeeCard, btw. ;-)

Not really a great game though, and usually way too pricey, since some of those BeeCard releases are quite uncommon and Pooyan is one of them.

I have a 100% complete Konami PC Engine set. Maybe if I win the lottery I'll get all the MSX games ;)

You also have that sweet Famicom Disk System set though. ;)

No completion here (yet): missing Snatcher Pilot Disk and Martial Champion still on PCE. And missing all kinds of games for a CIB Konami MSX set. I'm close, yet it feels like I'm really not that close because of some of the awkward releases they did back in the day. :D

Alright lads and lasses.

Been looking to explore the PC-Engine library for a while and think I'm going to try and get into it now. I'm only really familiar with YS I and II and shooters available on other platforms (R-Type, Gradius, Parodius, Salamander etc.). Outside of the aforementioned, what other games would you recommend as the best ones for someone starting out with the system? Very broad taste but mainly into the following genres:

- Shooters
- Fighters
- RPGs/adventure/point and click (anything playable in English, even if it is just a translation guide)
- Platformers
- Racers
- Run n Gun
- Beat em up

fantastic. the other pinball games Alien Crush and Time Cruise are great too but I feel I only need just the one in my collection and it's this. Looks like someone is a fan of Ghibli movies :p

Just received a 6 button controller and a new system card (Arcade Card Pro) for the briefcase set up (If you are using any CD hardware post briefcase system it should be just the Arcade Card) and that tennokoe save bank which is really weird in use.[/IMG]

Yeah, big fan, have most of the JPN DVD releases and a few of the JPN Blu's, but going to cherry pick the latter, as they're really pricey. I finally decided this year (after many, many years) that Laputa is my fave, I couldnt decide on the rest of my top 5.

I mentioned previously that I had issues running Sapphire on my Duo RX using the Duo Arcade card, fortunately I have a Pro as well, but perhaps I have a faulty Duo card / console, because the Duo has the extra memory internally. Strange.

Nice write-up, good stuff!

- - -

What do people think of the PC-FX? I've never fancied getting one myself, I can't beleive that they dropped the ball so badly, but NEC dithered and ended up going in the wrong direction with regards to what future games would be like.

piggychan

- - -

What do people think of the PC-FX? I've never fancied getting one myself, I can't beleive that they dropped the ball so badly, but NEC dithered and ended up going in the wrong direction with regards to what future games would be like.

I really like the design of the console it looks like an early apple product but personally I really don't think the games on offer is enough for me to delve into it. I think in total just around 62 games were made for that system..

pc-fx_get.jpg

piggychan

Alright lads and lasses.

Been looking to explore the PC-Engine library for a while and think I'm going to try and get into it now. I'm only really familiar with YS I and II and shooters available on other platforms (R-Type, Gradius, Parodius, Salamander etc.). Outside of the aforementioned, what other games would you recommend as the best ones for someone starting out with the system? Very broad taste but mainly into the following genres:

- Shooters
- Fighters
- RPGs/adventure/point and click (anything playable in English, even if it is just a translation guide)
- Platformers
- Racers
- Run n Gun
- Beat em up

There is a lot to list... might want to look into getting an everdrive. Also apart from the HuCard games that are region protected only the CD games are region free.

RPGs/adventure/point click - might need a guide for some of these and I can maybe help on some of them.

Brandish - super cd/arcade
Popful Mail - super cd/arcade
Ys III - Super cd
Dragon Slayer legend of heroes - super cd
Ys book I & II - cd
Ys IV - super cd
Tenshi no uta I & II- super cd
Nemureno yoru no chiisana ohanashi - super cd
valkyrie no densetsu - hucard
cadash - hucard
auleria - super cd
Magicoal - super cd
tower of druaga - hucard
neutopia I & II - hucard
gotzendiener - super cd rom
dynastic hero - super cd
adventure island - hucard
legend of xanadu I & II - super cd
dracula X chi no rondo - super cd
Wizardry I & II, III & IV- super cd
daichi kun no crisis - hucard. I did a small play guide for this game and I think it is a great strategy battle game with harvest moon elements. Only problem is that it requires a huge chunk of memory data just to save one file.

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=19099.0

I got my RGB modded Duo back and everything was going great, till I played a HuCard - PC Kid 2.

I then noticed that the colours seemed to be really dark - or oversaturated with Red, when compared to my core grafx with the external mod. They guy who did it says he can try a new board that is from France that helps with this kind of issue, so maybe that will fix it.

I also found something strange with the System card that I have for my Duo. It seems that it does not work anymore. Has anyone else had a system card fail on them?

Luckily I also have a regular system card 3.0 that I use in my briefcase set up, so I could play a bit of Sapphire.

*edit* After looking up the system card issue I found out that - or rather I forgot about the whole arcade pro / duo malarky. It seems that you need a pro to play sapphire.

hmmm could try and clean the connector points? I have the arcade pro card and that's for my briefcase set up.

Speaking of Sapphire someone on facebook seems to be playing what appears to be sapphire on his turboexpress..

Teknoman

Oh man the DUO RX is a cool looking system...actually all PC engines look cool. Especially in a world now where everything looks like monoliths.

Hey everyone, I'm getting a PCE Duo soon and I just had a couple of questions from the people who know it best. It's not coming with an AC Adaptor, can I use the adaptor from my US TG16 for it?

My other question is in regards to 2 mods, region and rgb modding. Is it worth region modding it? and if so what did/do you guys use? I saw Game-tech.us developed what looked like a pretty easy and straight forward to install mod that worked with the turboever drive, but I cant seem to find any info about them actually selling it. In regards to RGB modding is there a recommend way/method for that too?

And yeah the caps are going on it so I will be getting it re-capped.

D.Lo

I just stay Japanese. US game prices are insane anyway, have horrible cover art, and is there really anything great you need to play in English? CD games are of course region free.

D.Lo

Oh man the DUO RX is a cool looking system...actually all PC engines look cool. Especially in a world now where everything looks like monoliths.
Yep.

I think original Duo is my actual favourite (after original White PCE) but it's incredibly impractical with AV out the side. RX fits a cabinet better just because of that!

IrishNinja

yeah, Duo-RX's are dead sexy - i've an R, i forget if there's much difference between them besides the cool controller?

speaking of, what non-SF II games use the six button again?

Mercutio

yeah, Duo-RX's are dead sexy - i've an R, i forget if there's much difference between them besides the cool controller?

speaking of, what non-SF II games use the six button again?

I had heard somewhere that there was save backup memory space in the RX, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. I have an R, and I'd love more backup space.

piggychan

I just stay Japanese. US game prices are insane anyway, have horrible cover art, and is there really anything great you need to play in English? CD games are of course region free.
I think I got a good deal on Turbografx: Dragon Slayer legend of heroes and Ys book I & II compared to what they have been going for on USA auction markets. Just gotta shop around. Some of those games like Forgotten Worlds I had no idea it was released stateside.

Briefcase is the best looking PCE configuration to me

The looks are there but I wouldn't say it's ideal for gaming. A lot of the challenges comes from preserving and updating all the moving parts that break..plus making it work with modern day TVs. But hey I am happy with my stuff.

I am contemplating on whitening the CD drive a bit more. When I got it originally it was whitened but no enough so waiting till I get more free time and decent clear skies to sit it out in the daylight.

Bar81

Briefcase is the best looking PCE configuration to me

Yup, beautiful enough that I had to have one (well it's two pieces) brand new in that gorgeous factory white. Not practical enough for me to use though in lieu of my RGB-modded Core Grafx II/Super CD-ROM2 or DUO-R systems though (which are still beautiful).

MikeMyers

Ah I see.

Doesn't look like I'll be able to get a PC-Engine that can play the CD games.

And all I wanted was Ranma 1/2. :/

EDIT: Played Bonk's Adventure for the first time. Cute game.

StevieWhite

Hello, gents -

Recently acquired a Turbo Everdrive, which does not seem to want to work on my Doujin Dance modded Duo-R (both the region and RGB mods). I've tested the card on un-modded Japanese and North American Duos - it works fine. A brief bit of research suggests that this may be a problem with the region mod.

Poking around Assembler, I found this prospective fix. Is anyone here aware of any alternatives?

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/noob-guide-turboed-2-x-doujindance-modded-pc-engine-duo-r.59339/

Just trying to weigh all the prospective options here. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Dicer

Banned
Hello, gents -

Recently acquired a Turbo Everdrive, which does not seem to want to work on my Doujin Dance modded Duo-R (both the region and RGB mods). I've tested the card on un-modded Japanese and North American Duos - it works fine. A brief bit of research suggests that this may be a problem with the region mod.

Poking around Assembler, I found this prospective fix. Is anyone here aware of any alternatives?

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/noob-guide-turboed-2-x-doujindance-modded-pc-engine-duo-r.59339/

Just trying to weigh all the prospective options here. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Don't order from him anymore, his work is goop ridden, plenty of folks over at pcefx or the neogeo forums that do far superior work, that works...

That aside, if you can un-stick his mess the fixes seem pretty simple if you have a bit of soldering skill.

StevieWhite

Don't order from him anymore, his work is goop ridden, plenty of folks over at pcefx or the neogeo forums that do far superior work, that works...

That aside, if you can un-stick his mess the fixes seem pretty simple if you have a bit of soldering skill.

Well, to be fair to the man, the device has worked as advertised for nearly 2 years. Only issue is the Everdrive.

piggychan

Money ain't a problem
but I wouldn't be paying that much ayy.

But is it worth owning if you already have a couple of versions of Strider kicking around?

if you want your strider to have fancy cut scenes and red book audio then go for it

If you are a die hard strider fan that just wants to collect every strider port then go for it.

personally I would say no. But hey who know how much Strider PCE version will fetch in a few years time..

something to read up on relating to the development of PCE/Supergrafx strider.

http://www.chrismcovell.com/secret/sp_unreleased_pce.html#sgxstrider

Top Bottom