• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

D.Lo

Does anyone here have tips for fixing controllers? I got a second PC Engine controller a few months back and only got around to trying it out yesterday.
The I button seems to only be working intermittently, I haven't opened it up yet but I'm guessing the rubber part under the button is failing. Are there replacement parts available anywhere or would parts from other controllers possibly fit?
Simple alcohol cleaning will most likely fix it.

Wipe the board where the button connects until no more black stuff comes off, and the black conductive paint on the back of the rubber.

Finally having some free time I got to really dig into my PCE Duo today. I am blown away by how many awesome shmups got left in Japan on it. With the vast majority of them being pretty damn good. I've also put about 2 - 3 hours into Book of Ys I+II today. Took me a few minutes to get used to the combat system but so far I'm really enjoying it.

Hopefully I'll be able to get it recapped and RGB modded soon. Playing in composite right now and it's not the worst composite signal I've seen but it's not RGB. Really just loving the shit out of the system.

IrishNinja

yeah, of that era i think the PCE/Duo puts out some of the nicest/cleanest composite, honestly...i remember being surprised the first time i saw it!

AmyS

EGM / 1994 on PC-FX:

HBbAoOz.jpg

piggychan

Finally having some free time I got to really dig into my PCE Duo today. I am blown away by how many awesome shmups got left in Japan on it. With the vast majority of them being pretty damn good. I've also put about 2 - 3 hours into Book of Ys I+II today. Took me a few minutes to get used to the combat system but so far I'm really enjoying it.

There is something quite satisfying about ramming into enemies without the need to constantly mash an attack button. Although later on you will get magic rings that will help you with attacks.

Hope you get to try out the other pc engine falcom games especially Brandish, popful mail, Legend of Xanadu I & II and Dragon Slayers Legend of Heroes I and the other Ys games. I haven't had the chance yet to try out Sorcerian but it's on my backlog games to play.

I am currently working through Dragon Slayer legend of Heroes for Turbografx super CD.

If you can get around the weird viewpoint of Brandish you might find a great simple diablo-like dungeon crawler. That's one of my favorite pc engine falcom games.

I'd heard of Legend of Xanadu I and II but not the other ones. I'll have to check them out though, hopefully once I'm done playing through Ys.

just grabbed a sony bvm from Mega on the boards and was looking to get a duo r/rx

someone offered 250 for it, not sure if it's modded or not. (i have to check) is that a good deal for a non mod? not sure if there's any duo r owners that check here regularly but thanks in advance =)

Dicer

Banned
just grabbed a sony bvm from Mega on the boards and was looking to get a duo r/rx

someone offered 250 for it, not sure if it's modded or not. (i have to check) is that a good deal for a non mod? not sure if there's any duo r owners that check here regularly but thanks in advance =)

They go on about $250 on up, depending on shape and extras and stuff...

Don't know if people know about this already but thought I would share. I've gotten kind of annoyed with sitting on the floor 2 inches infront of my because of how short the Duo controller cord is. I did some looking and it seems these cords from monoprice are perfect extension cords.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=534

Just for the Duos though since the TG16 and Coregrafx have different controller ports.

I just ordered two of them and they should be here some time this week.

piggychan

Don't know if people know about this already but thought I would share. I've gotten kind of annoyed with sitting on the floor 2 inches infront of my because of how short the Duo controller cord is. I did some looking and it seems these cords from monoprice are perfect extension cords.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=534

Just for the Duos though since the TG16 and Coregrafx have different controller ports.

I just ordered two of them and they should be here some time this week.

I can't remember if I have ordered a cable like that in the past.. might have to dig it up but I have official wireless controllers. They use infra red so if you got like your foot or laptop between you and the wireless multi tap you lose the signal. Battery life is pretty good too. Each wireless pad requires 4 AAA batteries and they seem to last me weeks depending on how many hours you put into play per day I guess.

As far as I am aware only 2 button ones exist and you can assign up to 5 wireless controllers. Controller with the batteries inside feels like it weighs the same as my mobile phone.
68AA04CC-22A6-4093-9DBF-B44A851CA9D0_1.jpg

I never have good luck with the IR wireless controllers, plus those things are expensive (like most PC Engine stuff right).

All that said I finished Book I of Ys today. Loved the cutscenes between games, and holy crap Darm Tower must have been half the game.

I noticed doujindance is now selling component modded Duos but he has a disclaimer stating that it outputs 240p which is not compatible with a lot of American HD TVs? How do you tell if your U.S. TV can output 240p? I have a 2007 Hitachi 42 inch 1080 plasma. I assume even if it didn't output 240p it would at least be 480i right?

And yikes at that Kanye West tweet, that seriously could make prices jump even worse. I don't want every copy of Blazing Lazers going for $100-200 thanks to unwanted attention from his stupid fandom just because it was Kanye's favorite game. Who owns the TG-16 trademark/name at this point? I'd assume Konami right? Hopefully he doesn't have permission and has to end up titling it something else. If Kanye West naming his next album Turbografx-16 isn't the dark side of the universe trolling me I don't what is.

Dicer

Banned
I noticed doujindance is now selling component modded Duos but he has a disclaimer stating that it outputs 240p which is not compatible with a lot of American HD TVs? How do you tell if your U.S. TV can output 240p? I have a 2007 Hitachi 42 inch 1080 plasma. I assume even if it didn't output 240p it would at least be 480i right?

And yikes at that Kanye West tweet, that seriously could make prices jump even worse. I don't want every copy of Blazing Lazers going for $100-200 thanks to unwanted attention from his stupid fandom just because it was Kanye's favorite game. Who owns the TG-16 trademark/name at this point? I'd assume Konami right? Hopefully he doesn't have permission and has to end up titling it something else. If Kanye West naming his next album Turbografx-16 isn't the dark side of the universe trolling me I don't what is.

Take a composite signal (yellow cable) and plug it into your green component, if you get a black and white solid image, then the TV supports 240p

As far as trademark, that would be NEC, fuck Konami lol

Take a composite signal (yellow cable) and plug it into your green component, if you get a black and white solid image, then the TV supports 240p

As far as trademark, that would be NEC, fuck Konami lol

Ok, so someone needs to tell NEC then.

Anyways, I hooked up my PS1 yellow composite into a green component input and I get full color so no 240p for me unless there is an adaptor that would work?

I see that you all are talking about Kanye, and imma let you finish, but real quick, GAF, did I get a decent deal?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-PC-Engi...2-inter-face-unite-set-U-works-/111914925066?

I saw he kept dropping the price of this lot down, and this morning it was dropped to 200. So, I submitted an offer for 175 and he accepted. Just a hair under 200 shipped. I am buying this in anticipation of the Deunan's device to replace the drive of the PCEngine CDROM2 with a SD reader.

Based on what I've seen on completed auctions, I think I did okay?

piggychan

I have a similar set up. I got a 1080 plasma panny tv with pc engine briefcase set up via component. Picture quality is alright.

Hopefully later on in the year I can look into getting a framemeister.

EDIT

This game needs some loving by the community!

It's a tough nut to crack because all the menus and options are in japanese but I am kinda working on a guide. A very early Falcom Action RPG in the Dragonslayer series. The game play is a little primitive but there is great music and something about this game that compels you to sally forth on your quest bring peace to the kingdom.

EA0C1346-4BE3-4F3B-B497-130476B14022.jpg

I don't know if I got it 100% translated correctly but hopefully it's a start if you want to dip into this game.
sorc.jpg

townupdate.jpg

ingamemenu.jpg

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Interested in getting into the PC-engine, what system would you recommend if I want to play all hucard and cd-rom titles, and play it in rgb?

Edit: And of course, I would prefer to be able to play all regions.

What is this all about?

I haven't really followed up on the whole thing, but apparently Kanye West will name his new album "TurboGrafX 16". Which gives owning the system so much more street cred (or rather the complete opposite, depending on whether you're a fan or not, I guess) all of a sudden.

Morfeo

I haven't really followed up on the whole thing, but apparently Kanye West will name his new album "TurboGrafX 16". Which gives owning the system so much more street cred (or rather the complete opposite, depending on whether you're a fan or not, I guess) all of a sudden.

For real? Time to get in before those prices explodes then.

Interested in getting into the PC-engine, what system would you recommend if I want to play all hucard and cd-rom titles, and play it in rgb?

Edit: And of course, I would prefer to be able to play all regions.

A Duo R or RX are supposed to be the most well built systems. You won't have to get one of those recapped. If you get a regular Duo you'll need to get it recapped. All of them need to be modded to get RGB out of them, same with getting it to play all region games. If you get a Duo R or RX and an Arcade Duo card you'll be set up to be able to play all that the PC Engine has to offer. Note that CD games are completely region free, and the region modding is just for the Hucards.

You could try getting a converter (to let you play TG16 games on a PC Engine) but they can be hard to find and costly.

D.Lo

Kanye will probably only affect prices of the US console and games, but prices are already basically ruined for this machine for many games.

Morfeo

...so you're going 4 years in the past or so i take it

Lol, well its already crazy expensive (which is why I have held off so far), but with Kanye West it can go completely bonkers.

Thanks, and this sucks, Dont want more people to start collecting this system.

A Duo R or RX are supposed to be the most well built systems. You won't have to get one of those recapped. If you get a regular Duo you'll need to get it recapped. All of them need to be modded to get RGB out of them, same with getting it to play all region games. If you get a Duo R or RX and an Arcade Duo card you'll be set up to be able to play all that the PC Engine has to offer. Note that CD games are completely region free, and the region modding is just for the Hucards.

You could try getting a converter (to let you play TG16 games on a PC Engine) but they can be hard to find and costly.

Thanks, this was basically the kind of answer I was looking for. So, Duo R, RGB-mod and possibly region-mod is what I want. And there is no reason to go PC-Engine and the CD-attachement over this?

Thanks, this was basically the kind of answer I was looking for. So, Duo R, RGB-mod and possibly region-mod is what I want. And there is no reason to go PC-Engine and the CD-attachement over this?

Some people prefer the look of the white PC-Engine and CD attachment known as a briefcase setup. That said though the Duo/R/RX setup is a little easier because you don't need any system cards except for the Arcade Duo card. Which you only need for like 12 games or so total. Though one of the games is supposed to be amazing. (I should also add that something like 19 or 20 regular SCD games have enhancements when played with an Arcade Duo card) Well technically if you want to play Altered Beast you'll need a system 1.0 card for the Duo setups since it crashes on anything but a 1.0 system.

As far as reliability goes the Duo R/RX systems are supposed to be the most reliable set up.

Some people prefer the look of the white PC-Engine and CD attachment known as a briefcase setup. That said though the Duo/R/RX setup is a little easier because you don't need any system cards except for the Arcade Duo card. Which you only need for like 12 games or so total. Though one of the games is supposed to be amazing. (I should also add that something like 19 or 20 regular SCD games have enhancements when played with an Arcade Duo card) Well technically if you want to play Altered Beast you'll need a system 1.0 card for the Duo setups since it crashes on anything but a 1.0 system.

As far as reliability goes the Duo R/RX systems are supposed to be the most reliable set up.

The briefcase setup doesn't allow you to play Super CD-ROM² games. So you'd need an extra attachment for those. And that Super CD-ROM² attachment tends to be quite pricey.

Top Bottom