• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

D.Lo

The briefcase setup doesn't allow you to play Super CD-ROM² games. So you'd need an extra attachment for those. And that Super CD-ROM² attachment tends to be quite pricey.
Yes it does, you just need System Card 3.0.

PA.49528.001.jpg

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Some people prefer the look of the white PC-Engine and CD attachment known as a briefcase setup. That said though the Duo/R/RX setup is a little easier because you don't need any system cards except for the Arcade Duo card. Which you only need for like 12 games or so total. Though one of the games is supposed to be amazing. (I should also add that something like 19 or 20 regular SCD games have enhancements when played with an Arcade Duo card) Well technically if you want to play Altered Beast you'll need a system 1.0 card for the Duo setups since it crashes on anything but a 1.0 system.

As far as reliability goes the Duo R/RX systems are supposed to be the most reliable set up.

Thanks alot man! Now I have a good idea what to look for :)

JLynn

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if one has the PC-Engine/PCE CD "Briefcase" setup with an Arcade Card, can one also play Super CD format games?

D.Lo

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if one has the PC-Engine/PCE CD "Briefcase" setup with an Arcade Card, can one also play Super CD format games?
In theory, as long as it's an AC Pro. But there are apparently some compatibility problems, you're better off having one of each system card.

I've only ever had duos myself, but have always wanted a briefcase...

You do need to use a patched version if you want to protect your hardware. It deals with how it handles some extra ram and without the patched version the everdrive's ram and system ram kind of battle it out. With the system winning so it works, but it puts unneeded stress on both devices.

This is the thread on the pcenginefx forums where the dude who programmed the patch has info about it. (thank you Elmer!) He's actually made patches for both the US and Japanese cards.

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=20120.msg436169#msg436169

If you have a Duo/R/RX you could just pull the everdrive out and boot to the default OS (which is 3.0) and run everything but the Arcade CDs (and Altered Beast). If you have a briefcase system you either need this or a System 3.0 card. A lot of people just leave their everdrives in and boot with this on the Duo/R/RX side because Stoneagegamer.com who sells the everdrives claims that the PCB is thicker than a regular hucard and constant inserting and taking out could lead to damaging your pin connectors on your system. I don't have a micrometer handy (all though I may know where to get a hold of one) so I've never actually measured it. That said to my naked eye compared to my TenNoKoe Bank my everdrive seems to be 99% the same thickness. I could be wrong though, one of these days I'll need to borrow a micrometer and double check.

*edit*

I should note I have an everdrive 2.4 and maybe the earlier ones were way thicker, I don't know, can't say.

Dicer

Banned
Just something novel...I did a small fanzine back in the Duo days and found the prints that T.T.I. provided me so I could have some pics

DAesOqN.png

3ZFpMgj.png

KsCP7Ho.png

qp2Fgui.png

nirb5gc.png

3q5MuoK.png

IrishNinja

man, those are gorgeous!

I did a small fanzine back in the Duo days]

say what now
i totally did a fanzine thread here on GAF years ago and like nobody knew anything! i still have a few of them laying about, love those things...wish i could find more! that's so awesome though, which one did you do?

Dicer

Banned
man, those are gorgeous!

say what now
i totally did a fanzine thread here on GAF years ago and like nobody knew anything! i still have a few of them laying about, love those things...wish i could find more! that's so awesome though, which one did you do?

Fanzines were the shit, sadly most of those are long gone, I had one called "Duo Dimensions" was even pimped in the back of Turboforce at one point, sadly only got a few issues out before everything went south...

You do need to use a patched version if you want to protect your hardware. It deals with how it handles some extra ram and without the patched version the everdrive's ram and system ram kind of battle it out. With the system winning so it works, but it puts unneeded stress on both devices.

This is the thread on the pcenginefx forums where the dude who programmed the patch has info about it. (thank you Elmer!) He's actually made patches for both the US and Japanese cards.

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=20120.msg436169#msg436169

If you have a Duo/R/RX you could just pull the everdrive out and boot to the default OS (which is 3.0) and run everything but the Arcade CDs (and Altered Beast). If you have a briefcase system you either need this or a System 3.0 card. A lot of people just leave their everdrives in and boot with this on the Duo/R/RX side because Stoneagegamer.com who sells the everdrives claims that the PCB is thicker than a regular hucard and constant inserting and taking out could lead to damaging your pin connectors on your system. I don't have a micrometer handy (all though I may know where to get a hold of one) so I've never actually measured it. That said to my naked eye compared to my TenNoKoe Bank my everdrive seems to be 99% the same thickness. I could be wrong though, one of these days I'll need to borrow a micrometer and double check.

*edit*

I should note I have an everdrive 2.4 and maybe the earlier ones were way thicker, I don't know, can't say.
This is good info, thank you! I have a briefcase on the way but I think I'll auction the 3.0 card if I can achieve the same with the TED.
Echo that bummer about it not acting as an arcade card

IrishNinja

Fanzines were the shit, sadly most of those are long gone, I had one called "Duo Dimensions" was even pimped in the back of Turboforce at one point, sadly only got a few issues out before everything went south...

that is so cool - your classic TG16 cred is now out the roof, haha
i have an issue of Turboforce about that i think Mzo left me, gonna see if it's that one! the ones i know i have are In Between the Lines and GEA, i should really scan those one day for whoever wants to see em

Dicer

Banned
that is so cool - your classic TG16 cred is now out the roof, haha
i have an issue of Turboforce about that i think Mzo left me, gonna see if it's that one! the ones i know i have are In Between the Lines and GEA, i should really scan those one day for whoever wants to see em

duophile.com has all the scans, it's Volume 3

TF-03-27.jpg

So my Duo-R is leaving tomorrow to get s-vid added, I'll be shitting myself till it's back in my hands...

How much does that cost if you don't mind me asking?

Is it weird that I have no problem with my Genesis or Super getting modded, but don't like the idea of my TG-16 getting messed with.

Dicer

Banned
How much does that cost if you don't mind me asking?

Is it weird that I have no problem with my Genesis or Super getting modded, but don't like the idea of my TG-16 getting messed with.

Person I am dealing with is doing it for $35, which is damn reasonable, and since I don't have the $$$ for a full on RGB type setup, it's still damn nice mod from the looking around I have done on the subject.

Teknoman

For the YsIV translation (or any translation for that matter) are there some cheaper CD-R that are too light in weight for the Duo disc tray? Tried a Verbatim brand CD-R and the translation worked just fine, but when spinning, it makes a noise as if the top wasnt all the way down / the disc is wobbly (tapping noise). Of course none of my actual CD / SuperCD games do this.

Dicer

Banned
For the YsIV translation (or any translation for that matter) are there some cheaper CD-R that are too light in weight for the Duo disc tray? Tried a Verbatim brand CD-R and the translation worked just fine, but when spinning, it makes a noise as if the top wasnt all the way down / the disc is wobbly (tapping noise). Of course none of my actual CD / SuperCD games do this.

I've never had an issue with burns, I cant imagine "thin" cd's being a thing, maybe print up a label and slap it on, giving it that extra thickness and weight, or just try burning a second copy....

Teknoman

Yeah i'm just gonna try a second copy. When I got my duo back from being modded, it got jostled abit by the post office and was making a similar noise with all CD games, so I had to take the top off and then re-attach/tighten the screws. It works perfectly now, so if not that i'll try a different brand.

Teknoman

Hmm so after trying multiple types of CD-Rs (mostly music CDs) and another burn of YsIV translation, all the different types seem to make that noise. All of the other legit music cds and CD games (even saturn discs I threw in that usually work just fine in cd players) play quiet as expected.

Maybe a label or something would work...but I cant really see what the actual issue is. I mean the translation cd still works just fine and loads perfectly, but that light rattling noise just makes me nervous lol.

EDIT: Looking at the PCengine FX forums, apparently it may have something to do with them being 700MB discs instead of 650?

I burned my Ys IV translation disc to a cheap memorex (seriously memorex anything blows ass, but I bought a pack as a last resort when I needed some discs ASAP) that are 700MB and it works fine. In fact I don't think I've seen 650MB ones in a long long long time.

D.Lo

CDRs are technically slightly out of spec for Cds. So if genuine pressed CDs work, it could be fixed by adjusting the pots I assume. Which is super risky, as you don't want to put it out for genuine games!

Teknoman

Nah im not going that deep. The disc loads just fine, it just sounds like its "rattling" when spinning. But with all pressed discs (music cds included) running as quiet as can be, its probably going to be one of those deal with it things if I want to play YsIV or Xak III translated.

IrishNinja

ive found my duo to be pretty picky about burns, bish has some semi-official reprint ones that work just fine but even the taihen (sp)/verbatim quality ones i use & check/burn a the write speed aren't always a sure thing

Teknoman

Just beat Bonk's Revenge! Man that game starts out pretty easy, then jump jumps into the deep end of difficulty. Beat King Drool Jr. with 1 continue and like half a heart left.

Game has some strange art, but I think I liked the first Bonk better? I dunno, it reused some music tracks from the first, but left out one of the better themes. I liked that it used the peaceful ending theme from the first game for the water areas, and some of the new themes were good, but the fast pace version of the first stage theme just seems off key. At any rate, it's not bad, just not as improved as you'd expect for a sequel.

piggychan

Game has some strange art, but I think I liked the first Bonk better? I dunno, it reused some music tracks from the first, but left out one of the better themes. I liked that it used the peaceful ending theme from the first game for the water areas, and some of the new themes were good, but the fast pace version of the first stage theme just seems off key. At any rate, it's not bad, just not as improved as you'd expect for a sequel.

Yup I agree I think the 1st Bonk/PC Genjin is the best. I think I just find it more relaxing to play through from beginning to end. I really like the art in no.2 but some of those "new"
enemy elements and map designs really annoy me too much where I end up pulling out the card...

D.Lo

Hmm I prefer Bonk/PCG 2 to the first. More colourful and varied, I thought it was a good step up.

Play through both many many years ago though...

Teknoman

Hmm I prefer Bonk/PCG 2 to the first. More colourful and varied, I thought it was a good step up.

Play through both many many years ago though...

It does look a lot better, and the bonus stages are cool, but some of the later stage elements feel like they throw too much at you.

I managed to win an auction for Legend of Xanadu for 12 bucks shipped. Showed up today and it's in amazing condition. Waiting on the english translation patch to be done to dig into this one.

Celine

I managed to win an auction for Legend of Xanadu for 12 bucks shipped. Showed up today and it's in amazing condition. Waiting on the english translation patch to be done to dig into this one.
It's astounding how detailed the presentation is.
It could easily rival Squaresoft production of the time.

piggychan

It's astounding how detailed the presentation is.
It could easily rival Squaresoft production of the time.

Both of them are great and I just love the side scrolling boss fights in both of them. I just wish the music fonts were more ambitious sounding especially coming from Falcom!

The PCE chip must have been tough enough forSound Team JDK to learn, so I don't fault them for how it all sounds. Plus, much of the soundtrack's catchy and feels like Ys-inspired Sorcerian music. Game itself pays homage to a bunch of past Falcom games (in style) and is huge; the sequel's got the edge in polish arguably.

piggychan

The PCE chip must have been tough enough forSound Team JDK to learn, so I don't fault them for how it all sounds. Plus, much of the soundtrack's catchy and feels like Ys-inspired Sorcerian music. Game itself pays homage to a bunch of past Falcom games (in style) and is huge; the sequel's got the edge in polish arguably.

An earlier super cd-rom game Dragon Slayer Legend of Heroes had a few but amazing tracks that were PSG. By the sound fonts I just meant that I wish the percussion used on the pce Xanadu games sounded like these...

Town
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_cbsEA_vO4&index=21&list=PLzFTGYa_evXgnxNqitkP86ZIJWjQOwZbD

Battle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nY7nH1UeMM&list=PLzFTGYa_evXgnxNqitkP86ZIJWjQOwZbD&index=22

now compare the pce town track to the more powerful brothers!

Superfamicom Town
https://youtu.be/Cdt-wnXZeUs?t=5m50s

Megadrive Town
https://youtu.be/pL_2JVjWh9k?t=5m43s

EDIT

and the battle themes
superfamicom
https://youtu.be/Cdt-wnXZeUs?t=17m59s

megadrive
https://youtu.be/pL_2JVjWh9k?t=20m50s

But going back to pce's Xanadu tracks like these imo are lacking that punch found in those DSLOH tracks..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXasJnMHpps&index=7&list=PLzFTGYa_evXgpc7QbQJg84UHT0oOtEcqZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BtcEeca70o&list=PLzFTGYa_evXgpc7QbQJg84UHT0oOtEcqZ&index=11

piggychan

also latest batch of games.

Powerdrift I've always thought a really poor port but lately I kinda appreciate it now. Although I know it could have been a better port if done by hands other than Asmik.
Haven't spent too much time with Neo Metal Fantasy but it is kinda phantasy star inspired.
Arunamu no kiba is a pretty impressive RPG. Really well done cut scenes and although it's super CD-Rom game most of the music is PSG and uses a lot of decent drum samples.
2660BA83-FA73-4D66-9E29-C4257FAE7723.jpg

Dicer

Banned
Lol you know you have problems when you have a supergrafx ;)

How else am I gonna play BATTLE ACE?

whaa?! that look rad =)

do you recommend getting a super over a modded duo?

I didn't plan on getting the SGX, it came to me as a trade. It's a nice item to have but not a OMG I NEED THIS.

The library is small and not really stellar, but the games are at least worth checking out. And as far as over a Duo, probably not, because adding a CD to the SGX looks kinda silly giving it a giant ASS or hooking up an umbilical cord to an IFU

2254054234_cd6162eed4_o.jpg

9rLJHtQ.jpg

In Duo related news my unit has been modded and should be in transit shortly woohoo...

I would LOVE, love to get a Super Grafx for Ghouls and Ghosts and 1941. I just don't think I can justify the price of one for 2 games.

On good news my Arcade Duo card after spending 5 days at the Sort Center at NYC is finally in NJ and will hopefully get to me in the next day or two.

Hoping to have my Duo modded soon, while it's composite is better than expected I can't wait for RGB goodness.

Dicer

Banned
I would LOVE, love to get a Super Grafx for Ghouls and Ghosts and 1941. I just don't think I can justify the price of one for 2 games.

On good news my Arcade Duo card after spending 5 days at the Sort Center at NYC is finally in NJ and will hopefully get to me in the next day or two.

Hoping to have my Duo modded soon, while it's composite is better than expected I can't wait for RGB goodness.

Even on easy he game is fucking hard, like console out the window fist in the screen controller snapped in half hard...but it's so good you go back for more.

and it's a shame the SGX didn't get more love because it seems pretty capable.

Do you think it's the hardest version of Ghouls and Ghosts, though to be fair most of them are fucking brutal.

I got the cover for my Turbo everdrive in today, and it fits on perfectly. I ended up ordering one for looks, and because a week or two ago my friend was over and we were playing some Turbo games. I went to reset it and got a decent shock from the everdrive, and everything shut off. Got really worried it killed my system or everdrive or both. Luckily both came back to life but damn it was a scare. Shouldn't be a worry now.

25498471040_4314da0c10_h.jpg

Top Bottom