• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

piggychan

Even on easy he game is fucking hard, like console out the window fist in the screen controller snapped in half hard...but it's so good you go back for more.

and it's a shame the SGX didn't get more love because it seems pretty capable.

I thought once you figure out the enemy patterns and map layout it became somewhat easy. The SNES game tho, that was tough. SGX version is pretty decent but the sound was I thought quite weak.

Grats on the SGX in your hands.

It's been years since I last had a SGX in my possession and unfortunately I never had a SGX and PCE both side by side to make comparisons and although I can't be sure whether it was some placebo effect I could have sworn that certain pce games that had sprite flicker and slowdown seem to be eliminated when running on the SGX.

Biggest disappointment was purchasing the 1941 for a fairly hefty import price back then and then being able to complete the game with 1 credit on the same day of purchase.

Dicer

Banned
I thought once you figure out the enemy patterns and map layout it became somewhat easy. The SNES game tho, that was tough. SGX version is pretty decent but the sound was I thought quite weak.

Grats on the SGX in your hands.

It's been years since I last had a SGX in my possession and unfortunately I never had a SGX and PCE both side by side to make comparisons and although I can't be sure whether it was some placebo effect I could have sworn that certain pce games that had sprite flicker and slowdown seem to be eliminated when running on the SGX.

Biggest disappointment was purchasing the 1941 for a fairly hefty import price back then and then being able to complete the game with 1 credit on the same day of purchase.

The SGX is what the PCE should have been, I mean don't get me wrong I love my PCE but that lil extra oomph is apparent in even the limited library. I would have loved to have seen one system pushing SGX game but that will never happen.

But yeah it's nice to finally have one in person, it's smaller and lighter than I had envisioned, Idk if I am gonna go for the full lib, cause yeah that 1941 and "technically" Darius Alpha are not cheap....at all

The SGX is what the PCE should have been, I mean don't get me wrong I love my PCE but that lil extra oomph is apparent in even the limited library. I would have loved to have seen one system pushing SGX game but that will never happen.

But yeah it's nice to finally have one in person, it's smaller and lighter than I had envisioned, Idk if I am gonna go for the full lib, cause yeah that 1941 and "technically" Darius Alpha are not cheap....at all

what's the price range go for a supergrafx?

Dicer

Banned
what's the price range go for a supergrafx?

$250 and up, depending on condition original ac/av/controller/box and all that Boxed ones can get pricey for sure. Just be mindful it's a stock PCE controller no special labeling or differences like the Duo-RX, and that pad is hot garbage...

Next on the grail list is the PCE-LT, mmmmmhmmmm

Arcade Duo card came today!

25191550723_25d26ae218_h.jpg

piggychan

I don't know how many of these are floating around either, or does it actually even exists!

IMG_MagConsole.jpg

Dicer

Banned
So my S-vid mod is done and back in my hands (Big ups to Keith Courage over at PCEFX)

And while my shitty phone camera pics isn't the best I can assure you, the picture is fantastic...

U3tXo7N.jpg

Very stoked.

AmyS

These are nearly the oldest articles from the EGM / Sendai Publishing people in Chicago on the PC-Engine. Rather than crop the heck out of these to include just the text on the PCE, I'll just put the full pages here.

Keep in mind this was 1988, before things were set in stone as far as PCE coming to America.

Electronic Game Player issue 4 - September/October 1988. This pre-dates EGM 1989 Buyer's Guide from late 1988

Although unlikely, if any GAF member happens to own Electronic Game Player issue 3 - July/August 1988 and could scan the Gaming Gossip / Quartermann column or even take a simple photo of it, I'd be so very grateful. According to the very same people in a later issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly, that issue of EGP has the first picture of PCE / R-Type.

You should get a cover for it, static shock is a real issue with the turbo everdrives. Not that it'll hurt you but I've seen a few people destroy their everdrives from it.

Saroyan

I'm feeling pretty chuffed about this one, major addition to my PC Engine collection.

Almost CIB briefcase setup, it was missing the instructions, but the serial numbers on the box, interface unit and CD-ROM2 are all matching. It came with the original power supply too although I didn't get it in the picture.

I got it for a good price since it was sold as not working, the CD-ROM wouldn't spin so I thought maybe it was the common stripped drive gear. When I got it I was surprised to see that the gear was in perfect shape but the drive still wouldn't spin. I ended up replacing all the capacitors in the drive and now it works perfectly. I just got done testing it out with Rondo of Blood and Gradius II and I'm feeling super stoked.

The Coregrafx came with as a bonus, which was cool since I didn't have one yet.

Next project will be to RGB mod the IFU.

Bar81

I'm feeling pretty chuffed about this one, major addition to my PC Engine collection.

Almost CIB briefcase setup, it was missing the instructions, but the serial numbers on the box, interface unit and CD-ROM2 are all matching. It came with the original power supply too although I didn't get it in the picture.

I got it for a good price since it was sold as not working, the CD-ROM wouldn't spin so I thought maybe it was the common stripped drive gear. When I got it I was surprised to see that the gear was in perfect shape but the drive still wouldn't spin. I ended up replacing all the capacitors in the drive and now it works perfectly. I just got done testing it out with Rondo of Blood and Gradius II and I'm feeling super stoked.

The Coregrafx came with as a bonus, which was cool since I didn't have one yet.

Next project will be to RGB mod the IFU.

Nice. I assume you have a proper PC engine to match that - the core grafx looks like shit.

Core Grafx has a different sound chip right? I remember hearing that it causes issuses with sound effects in a small number of games, so they switched back to the chip from the OG PCE in the Core Grafx II

Dicer

Banned
Core Grafx has a different sound chip right? I remember hearing that it causes issuses with sound effects in a small number of games, so they switched back to the chip from the OG PCE in the Core Grafx II

I've never heard of this, will need to find sources...

Anyway, now with STEREO SOUND

BtyWCFp.jpg

Even at S-vid I am beyond impressed, can't imagine once I got full RGB and whatnot.

jsCPE8V.jpg

piggychan

look at the unreleased Bonk game for Gen7 systems
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSmPA-wRtfY

Makes me sad looking at the style that Bonk has become...

Just got these, Bazaru de Gozaru's manual has sun fade but I got it much MUCH cheaper than those being auctioned on ebay. the others are Wizardry I & II, Bakuden unbalanced zone which the bazaru seller seemed to have chucked in for free! and finally Tadaima Yusha Boshuchu.
4f19f240-cf30-4d84-ad03-599a4ca5fec3.jpg

An earlier super cd-rom game Dragon Slayer Legend of Heroes had a few but amazing tracks that were PSG. By the sound fonts I just meant that I wish the percussion used on the pce Xanadu games sounded like these..
Keita Hoshi did great work on the PC Engine's sound system, whether arranging or composing. That said, the better samples you mention require more space for storage, and I've heard (because of the ongoing fan translation/patch) that both Legend of Xanadu games are picky about how they handle memory and are compressed onto disc. So there might be a technical reason why Sound Team JDK didn't use better drum samples throughout. . Redbook audio tracks in both games sound really nice to make up for all this. I also don't think it's fair comparing Hoshi's PSG arrangements to others from substandard ports of Legend of Heroes.

This is a bad day. I've gotten to the end of Ys Book II but every time I try to load the Goddess talking, the laser on Duo gets stuck in the outer area, and stops reading discs until I open it up and roll the laser back to the inner track. This sucks copious amounts of dick. : (

piggychan

This is a bad day. I've gotten to the end of Ys Book II but every time I try to load the Goddess talking, the laser on Duo gets stuck in the outer area, and stops reading discs until I open it up and roll the laser back to the inner track. This sucks copious amounts of dick. : (

I know it's really basic but have you cleaned the disc by any chance ?

Anyway I just want to add that Bazaru De Gozaru is a very good game. Although very simple to pick up, learn and play, some of those levels really make you work your brain! It's quite a joy to own and experience. A hidden gem but the price it goes for means it's out of reach for most people :(

EDIT:

Dunno if you folks want to jump on the miitomo train and get those pc engine miifoto's out and about !
CfPYD4tXIAAiPV2.jpg

Anyway I just want to add that Bazaru De Gozaru is a very good game. Although very simple to pick up, learn and play, some of those levels really make you work your brain! It's quite a joy to own and experience. A hidden gem but the price it goes for means it's out of reach for most people :(
Everything I've seen and heard of the game tells me it's one of Game Freak's most underrated games, right alongside Bushi Seiryuuden and Click Medic. This was Go Ichinose's first soundtrack at the company and it's as great as I expected, so I made a rip of it recently.

piggychan

Everything I've seen and heard of the game tells me it's one of Game Freak's most underrated games, right alongside Bushi Seiryuuden and Click Medic. This was Go Ichinose's first soundtrack at the company and it's as great as I expected, so I made a rip of it recently.

I kinda wet myself a little seeing the Game Freak name appearing on the title screen outside anything Pokemon. Music I really like too but it's the whole package of the game that makes it quite a unique title to play, although everything is mostly in japanese it's quite an easy game to pickup and understand but tricky to master!

EDIT:

OMG Dicer!!!

IrishNinja

Not sure what I was expecting from your collection, but it wasn't this. :p

yeah? i know it's a lotta loosies on the hucard side, ive debated replaement ones but that whole scene is rough right now...my roommate has a metric fuckton more cards/discs than i do here, and a turbo everdrive to boot! not sure what you envisioned here specifically though, haha

IrishNinja

PCE is an incredible system and after that Genny display...

haha, you're not wrong...problem is, my neighbor growing up had a TG16 late in the gen, but only a handful of decent titles, so like many, i didn't know until further dipping into the retro scene...and by the time i finally got my RGB-modded Duo-R and was ready a few years back, prices were getting well outside what i was comfortable with. i really should show my roommate's collection off for him, it's infinitely mightier & having access to it really stunted me from going after more stuff, haha...so i focused on the best deals i could get on my favorite titles, and played the rest on a turboeverdrive!

i love the system, but like the saturn, prices (particularly US) felt like they skyrocketed on me & turned me off the scene, so it's likely going to be a long time before i go after much past that

not sure what you envisioned here specifically though, haha

PCE is an incredible system and after that Genny display...

Yeah, that impressive Genesis collection had probably clouded my expectations too.

Think I had expected less Turbo games and more PCE ones for starters. Perhaps a few more shoot 'em ups (no Gradius/Salamander or Star Soldier games?), since they're so omnipresent on the system. I mean, you have Air Zonk/PC Denjin (which I'm missing still), but then you don't have some of the more obvious ones.

Not that all of that is a bad thing. It's not like you don't have any real quality in there, because you obviously truly have. But there's just so much more out there waiting to be added to that collection.

I tell you in my area its so hard to even find TG16 games for sale. I'm basically regulated to ebay, and ebay prices are just too damn high right now. I feel your pain on the small tg16/PCE collection.

Top Bottom