• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC players are at it again! DDoS attacks against Rockstar after implementing kernel level anticheat

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://cyberinsider.com/rockstar-games-ddosed-heavily-by-players-protesting-new-anticheat-code/

Rockstar Games' servers have been under heavy fire from massive DDoS attacks in recent days, causing widespread login and connectivity issues for players of GTA Online. These attacks come in the wake of Rockstar’s recent implementation of BattlEye, a new anti-cheat system designed to crack down on in-game cheating, sparking backlash from a segment of the player base. Protesters, unhappy with the new system, have resorted to using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to disrupt the servers, escalating tensions between the gaming giant and its community.

Skifi28

x4yCDyp.gif

Rambone

Good on Rockstar for trying to do something about rampant mods/hack bullshit going on with GTA online on the PC. They should have been doing this shit a long time ago but better late than never.

nikos

Kernel level anti-cheats have been around for a while and are necessary to actually detect cheating because cheats also run at kernel level.

Most, if not all (Riot Vanguard has to be disabled manually) also only run when necessary and have been utilized enough to earn credibility.

DDoSing has always been stupid and the amount of people cheating in GTA V was ridiculous. I didn't play much and still ran into cheaters all the time.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Kernel level anti-cheats have been around for a while and are necessary to actually detect cheating because cheats also run at kernel level.

Most, if not all (Riot Vanguard has to be disabled manually) also only run when necessary and have been utilized enough to earn credibility.

DDoSing has always been stupid and the amount of people cheating in GTA V was ridiculous. I didn't play much and still ran into cheaters all the time.

At least the GTA cheats are kinda funny. One time I played and some guy turned my character into a huge UFO then bombed the shit out of me.

//DEVIL//

To be honest, they can get bent and fucked. I for one agree with this. you cheat, you get your hardware banned. I hope Activision does this for Call of Duty as well, enough with this lame-ass cheating shit.

The only people crying about it are cheaters. and to them, I say cry a river.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
To be honest. they can get bent and fucked. I for one agree to this. you cheat, you get your hardware banned. I hope Activision does this for Call of Duty as well. Enough with this lame ass cheating shit.

The only people crying about it are cheaters. and to themI say cry a river.
The computer vision stuff makes me sick, although to be fair not sure if it's the time or region I play I've only probably spotted 1 or 2 players that I would lean more towards botting etc.

bender

What time is it?
Welp that escalated quickly LMAO. And you know it's not just a joke, it's bait to start an argument.

Also, jokes are supposed to be funny last time I checked.

Yes, just a joke as are most of my posts. If you think it is bait, you are probably too emotionally invested in your platform of choice. I'm sorry my humor function failed your lofty standards. I'll revise it to see if it becomes funnier to you.

I read something that Windows is going to implement something to block these kernel lever programs after that shit that happened not so long ago with that update from some company fucking up pcs all around the world.

//DEVIL//

The computer vision stuff makes me sick, although to be fair not sure if it's the time or region I play I've only probably spotted 1 or 2 players that I would lean more towards botting etc.

yeah... they deserve the hardware banned after watching this video ... ( not talking about the people in the video, the cheaters in general )

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Yes, just a joke as are most of my posts. If you think it is bait, you are probably too emotionally invested in your platform of choice. I'm sorry my humor function failed your lofty standards. I'll revise it to see if it becomes funnier to you.
Well that's the point of criticism, to help you get better and I'm happy if I could help you. I'm looking forward to your next... uh... joke, right? But please drop the passive agressive attitude, it's not doing you any favors.

Now imagine I came in a thread about the Playstation ecosystem saying PS players were a mistake. Just that, nothing more for context or anything. Do you think a lot of people on this site would take it as "just a joke" or would I see dozens of users quoting me with no kind words? Next time before posting such jokes, try to see if it's funny and how it could be interpreted (the text does not really convey irony or intonation)

Last edited:

Holammer

I read something that Windows is going to implement something to block these kernel lever programs after that shit that happened not so long ago with that update from some company fucking up pcs all around the world.
Afaik, they have been blocked from locking down the OS before, but Crowdstrike might have changed the conversation.

Bombolone

Gold Member
Mods and Cheats have been part of gaming since as long as I can remember.

When cheating ruins the experience of people just trying to play the game, I don't have any sympathy for you.
I am sure every developer ships a game with the intention of it being used/played properly. Cheaters break that unspoken agreement between all gamers and also the TOS contract.
I don't think cheats in the Single Player matter at all but multiplayer should be kept free of it.

It is also cool to chill in a server with some friends, with cheats, to just hang out.
I wonder if Rockstar made a mode that allowed all the abilities/cheats/gimmicks would cheaters still be interested in it like that? Or is it more that they like 'cheating'?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
allowing people to host their own servers with their own admins who can spot and ban cheaters (far more effectively than any anticheat) would be a far better solution to solving the cheating problem.

Not that i care anyways. I don't play GTA online :messenger_grinning_sweat:

PaintTinJr

yeah... they deserve the hardware banned after watching this video ... ( not talking about the people in the video, the cheaters in general )
They deserve something, but to advocate for a Judge Dredd styled capability for corporations to commit - what is semantically no different to - criminal damage to someone's hardware through unregulated mechanisms is not something I can get on board with.

At the end of the day if this was in the real world, say at a race meet and people cheated, that wouldn't automatically grant the organisers the right to modify the cheaters car and speed limit it, etc. They'd have to go through civil proceedings to get some form of restitution.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Why are they against it? I've never seen a game with so many cheaters. Even f2p games have fewer cheaters.

//DEVIL//

They deserve something, but to advocate for a Judge Dredd styled capability for corporations to commit - what is semantically no different to - criminal damage to someone's hardware through unregulated mechanisms is not something I can get on board with.

At the end of the day if this was in the real world, say at a race meet and people cheated, that wouldn't automatically grant the organisers the right to modify the cheaters car and speed limit it, etc. They'd have to go through civil proceedings to get some form of restitution.

First of all, this is not a criminally damaging any system. you can still use your PC / console however you want. but you are banned from playing their game. and the only way to do that is by banning the hardware. because these cheaters dont give a fuck if the account it banned. they are not using their main account anyway. Steam is Free and the game is what? 10$ ? who gives a fuck right? ( if not free too like Warzone )

But when you get the hardware ban in question, they will think twice before fucking around with it.

these guys have no respect to other gamers. they have no respect to the game devs. They have dont give a fuck if you are annoyed and your game session is ruined as long as they are having fun destroying you..

yeah no I stand by what I Said. they can cry a river and I hope every company does this.

PaintTinJr

First of all, this is not a criminally damaging any system. you can still use your PC / console however you want. but you are banned from playing their game. and the only way to do that is by banning the hardware. because these cheaters dont give a fuck if the account it banned. they are not using their main account anyway. Steam is Free and the game is what? 10$ ? who gives a fuck right? ( if not free too like Warzone )

But when you get the hardware ban in question, they will think twice before fucking around with it.

these guys have no respect to other gamers. they have no respect to the game devs. They have dont give a fuck if you are annoyed and your game session is ruined as long as they are having fun destroying you..

yeah no I stand by what I Said. they can cry a river and I hope every company does this.
I'm not saying it isn't a miserable situation, but the inability for the owner of said hardware to sell it on without it still being banned is very much devaluing something you - the corporations - have no legal right to do so and are therefore in effect doing criminal damage to someone else's hardware which ironically may or may not be getting used by the hardware owner's consent, making the criminality of the corporations altering the hardware and hiding behind a T&C they've only had agreed with the cheater, not legal.

Last edited:

LRKD

Yeah I hate anti cheats, constantly got errors back when witchqueen dropped in D2. Like why do I have issues, but hackers still cheating? Anti cheat, and anti piracy just sucks, the buyer is most effected, while the cheater and the hackers tend to just adapt ways around it.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
What are you scared of them finding? If you don't want cheaters this is the only way. Maybe don't watch "shit" you're not supposed to.
I'm more concerned by systems failures than anything else. Just ask Google and inform yourself on these issues.

And sorry but your response is incredibly stupid. I mean let's put camera on your house and monitor everything you do and say. After all you don't care right?

Edit: btw Helldivers 2 has kernel level anti cheat and yet there is plenty of cheaters. Soooo I don't know what's your point.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Yeah I hate anti cheats, constantly got errors back when witchqueen dropped in D2. Like why do I have issues, but hackers still cheating? Anti cheat, and anti piracy just sucks, the buyer is most effected, while the cheater and the hackers tend to just adapt ways around it.
Odd. I don't remember anti cheats causing issues to me.

mitch1971

Gold Member
Why does it always seem like the blame gets shifted from the cheaters on to people that are trying to curb the cheating, in situations like this?

Last edited:

LRKD

Odd. I don't remember anti cheats causing issues to me.
Probably because it wasn't. It isn't a super common issue, but still an issue people have across a variety of games on pc. For me in destiny it would be on average like every 15 minutes it'd trigger a plum error and kick me from the game. No clue what it even was, but it made it incredibly difficult to raid with my team for a while, we'd have to run encounters on that timer lol.

It's definitely a real issue, it's just that pc is such a complicated platform you can have millions never have the issue, and thousands plagued by the issue for one reason or another, bad network, wrong program installed that false flags it, the list goes on and on. Like apparently for a while destiny falsely flagged people as afk because they were playing on mouse and keyboard, but had blutooth turned on so it thought they were using a controller and battleye afk kicked them. There was some issue D2 players had were eldenring was causing issues. My friend just recently has been having Dead by Daylight freeze up and have the anti cheat fail to connect.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm not the local Rockstar defense force but this is stupid. People could put that energy into making the world and internet better instead of stupid cyber attacks over videogames.

Hoddi

This has little to do with hardware bans. The difference between kernel mode and user mode anticheats is that the anticheat can detect memory tampering when running in kernel mode. This means that if the OS (or some other program/driver/cheat) decides to modify some data in memory then the anticheat can detect that. And this can mean something as simple as moving the data between two memory locations.

What happens if you're playing an older game and Windows decides that it's running low on memory? Modern Windows supports memory compression which moves data around in memory.

//DEVIL//

This has little to do with hardware bans. The difference between kernel mode and user mode anticheats is that the anticheat can detect memory tampering when running in kernel mode. This means that if the OS (or some other program/driver/cheat) decides to modify some data in memory then the anticheat can detect that. And this can mean something as simple as moving the data between two memory locations.

What happens if you're playing an older game and Windows decides that it's running low on memory? Modern Windows supports memory compression which moves data around in memory.
False positive is a thing for sure . But rarely that’s the case. And it can be handled case by case bases . With time ( assuming this is a thing ) it will only get better. And if it has to start somewhere to prevent these fucks from cheating so be it

Top Bottom