• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC players are at it again! DDoS attacks against Rockstar after implementing kernel level anticheat

Barakov

Source: https://cyberinsider.com/rockstar-games-ddosed-heavily-by-players-protesting-new-anticheat-code/

Rockstar Games' servers have been under heavy fire from massive DDoS attacks in recent days, causing widespread login and connectivity issues for players of GTA Online. These attacks come in the wake of Rockstar’s recent implementation of BattlEye, a new anti-cheat system designed to crack down on in-game cheating, sparking backlash from a segment of the player base. Protesters, unhappy with the new system, have resorted to using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to disrupt the servers, escalating tensions between the gaming giant and its community.

APy0duO.jpeg

Larxia

I mean, it depends what the reason is for them to do that. If it's just because they are cheaters and they are mad they can't cheat anymore, like many people in this thread seem to think, then yes that's stupid.

However, from what I heard, there were still plenty of cheaters and it didn't do much about that.
The biggest thing this anti cheat did (again from what I heard) is making the game unplayable on Linux / Steam Deck. If people are protesting because of this, I think they're right.

It really depends on the reasons and the context.

I agree that cheating is horrible on GTA V, but it's actually even worse on RDR2, I gave up because of that, I kept getting killed by cheaters.
At some point there was even a player who made me unable to move, and started f*cking my character (female character), and then he gave me flowers... 🤷‍♂️
Sometimes people put you in a cage, make you explode etc... It can be funny once, but when it's all the time and you can't play normally anymore, it's awful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom