• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

TylerD

It all started with watching Matt Malone win the Daytona 500 last year in iracing and then I watched a lot more of his videos and then I re-subbed Friday night for the first time since 2012. I had oval/rookie and road/rookie safety ratings of 2.53 and 2.64 respectively.

I'm really only doing oval right now because I can't stand my G25 pedals and clutching and shifting feel is awful with those but I am obsessed. Got out of rookie in oval Saturday and racing with non-rookies is a revelation. iracing makes my old G25 feel as good as it ever has.

Will be getting clubsport V3s in the next couple of months and mounting them offset on my wheel stand pro so I can heel toe without the bar getting in my way. iracing shows that my G25 has some life left. I hadn't used it in about 3 years when I hooked it up Friday. Was pleasantly surprised it still works flawlessly. I'll eventually upgrade to Fanatec base and wheel and shifter at some point.

david-hasselhoff-baywhau9s.gif

I watched one of Matt's attempts this year, and half the field got taken out before turn 1. Not good!

Makikou

So any simrig people around here?

I have the option of buying an RSEAT RS1 for 400€. No keyboard/mouse tray or any other special stuff. Just the rig + shifter mount. Rig seen here: https://www.rseat-europe.com/rseat-rs1/rseat-rs-1-white-black

Anyway, anyone here sat in one? What's it like? I'm a 177cm 77kg male so I'd say it should be good for me since I guess i'm averagely shaped person.

I wonder how it would work with my screen setup. I run triples and 2 of them (side screens) do NOT have VESA mounts. So I wonder if I had my screens on my desk for now and sat in the RSEAT, I wonder how far i'd have to leave my screens. Right now my face is 65 to 75cm from my middle screen that is the furthest. Would hate to even double that.

Thoughts?

I have the option of buying an RSEAT RS1 for 400€. No keyboard/mouse tray or any other special stuff. Just the rig + shifter mount. Rig seen here: https://www.rseat-europe.com/rseat-rs1/rseat-rs-1-white-black

Anyway, anyone here sat in one? What's it like? I'm a 177cm 77kg male so I'd say it should be good for me since I guess i'm averagely shaped person.

I wonder how it would work with my screen setup. I run triples and 2 of them (side screens) do NOT have VESA mounts. So I wonder if I had my screens on my desk for now and sat in the RSEAT, I wonder how far i'd have to leave my screens. Right now my face is 65 to 75cm from my middle screen that is the furthest. Would hate to even double that.

Thoughts?

I can't answer any of your questions directly!

However!

The RSeats have always looked nice to me. My only concern with them though is that the pedal box seems very low. It's more of an upright, road car seating position. I just wonder if perhaps you'll yearn for a more sporting position shortly after first using it.

I set my 80/20 rig up following this diagram (highlighted one):

Maybe the RSeat can be modded to raise the pedals? There's got to be people out there that have done it already. Look into it. If you can work with it, then at 400 euro, that might be a good buy.

The screens...yes. That would be REALLY far. You'd kill your FoV. I don't think you could deal with it, tbh.

I know people have crafted diy vesa adapters for monitors that don't have them. Usually they're fitted to the stand mount. Google it. Is that something that could be done in your case? You're going to have to cross this bridge sooner than you think. If you can get a vesa mount on them, then at least you can hang them from some 2x4s or something.

It's a lot of work/money/logistics to get your sim gear off a desk and onto a rig, but it's worth it. Even if you have to piece it together slowly, and ghetto half of it, it's worth it.

Makikou

The screen issue is a massive bridge, considering it'd be pointless to get anything less than 144hz 24" screens because that is my middle screen spec. This amounts to about 400+ when you look for used screens. I guess I could halve the price if I went for 60hz but but..

I'll look those custom mounts you mentioned but we'll see.. The RSEAT screen stand is not cheap either!

VVV Mars VG

Thoughts?

I've been using the RS1 since 2013 on hundreds of videos, this video sees me using both single and triple screen displays. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7fGsDo4jhw&t=640s It's comfortable but worth putting in a cushion to support the lower back.

Mascot

...It's comfortable but worth putting in a cushion to support the lower back.

Poor lumbar support seems to be a common theme in sim rig seating. It was one of the reasons (along with sweaty arse syndrome) that I swapped out my faux-leather Playseat for a fabric Recaro from a 1990s RS Turbo. I'd pretty much advise anyone with a Playseat to do similar. I can spend all day in that thing now in total comfort. It's got the handy pop-out extendable thigh support too for added niceness.

MimiMe

I could not manage to participate in any of the last three iRacing seasons.
Now I finally have free time again and a new season is about to start.

So excited as I love the time where I pick the series I am going to race - besides advanced mazda cup.

So... Karts in sims.

I think they are fun, I had a blast with pCARS1 when I finally had my FFB setup better on PC (had it on XB1 only for the first year), but the physics... I don't think they drive like karts should, they are either glued to the track or snap-oversteer, even when just coasting and turning. Don't get me wrong, they are super fun, especially with a shifter, but I would still say that even karts in Gran Turismo feel less "arcadey" than in pCARS1.
Looking at a more pro-grade sim that gives physics a lot more thought like rFactor 2 and Karts don't feel so arcadish anymore, but still show similar issues and problems (and they are less fun in rFactor 2, but pshhht... I officially never said that).

Shifter karts in Automobilista are the most fun you can have with karts in any sim in my opinion. Yet again, similar issues! But less pronounced, it feels like Reiza gave karts in particular more thought than other developers.

There are also probably good reasons why Assetto Corsa and iRacing don't have Karts... and I doubt it's just that they don't want to make extra tracks for the small crowd that wants to drive karts in a sim, when it's the only "race car" they could just as well drive in real life without having to win in the lottery first.
That my Thrustmaster TX doesn't have the torque to give real kart feeling (and my T500 not the weightlessness and speed) probably doesn't help either, but my money is on something with tire simulation and the high caster angles karts have... tire-shoulder grip/deformation etc. idk

What are you guys opinions on karts in sims so far?

Makikou

Karts in sims do not happen because you drive karts with your body acting as weight transfer. I'd imagine it's very hard to simulate this kind of weight transfer in a sim. I think it's the same issue as simulating motorbikes.

Karts in sims do not happen because you drive karts with your body acting as weight transfer. I'd imagine it's very hard to simulate this kind of weight transfer in a sim. I think it's the same issue as simulating motorbikes.
I don't know, they have leaning animations too; too design a "shift CoG within a certain leaning radius in favor of what the player is doing" doesn't sound so hard especially since body leaning is slow and smooth compared to other things that sims do over 300 times a second, but I don't actually know if rFactor for example is simulating that.

Automobilista, and rF2 both have very fun karts.

Automobilista, in particular, with it's wide range of rental to superkarts are great fun. For me, they're on equal footing with any of the cars in the game. I'm as likely to do a few races in a superkart, or 125 as I am in anything else.

Questionable sims with questionable physics have questionable karts. News at 11.

Seriously though, I feel that perhaps the purity of kart physics gives poor simulation nowhere to hide. Your physics engine needs to be very flexible, and humming on all cylinders to simulate something as un-car like as a kart.

Seriously though, I feel that perhaps the purity of kart physics gives poor simulation nowhere to hide. Your physics engine needs to be very flexible, and humming on all cylinders to simulate something as un-car like as a kart.
Yea, lot of tiny physic wonkiness is probably swallowed by longer suspension travel. Higher simulation frequencies would probably help too.

Man, they didn't think to use cockpit view, a wheel, and/or a better driver? They made that look pretty bad tbh.

It's from nvidia, the want to show 4k/60fps and nice reflections and diffuse whatever...

But yeah, I was thinking that they made the game look pretty bad too, but more from a physics point of view.
The behind-the-car camera rotates with pitch and yaw of the car ...and that the camera is super shaky under braking means a lot of longitudinal, jerky vibration in the suspension. Maybe it's just a bad car setup and ABS, who knows.

TJP

Not sure if it's because a controller was used but that jerky steering looks horrible to play with
As already mentioned, probably more of a video to promote the graphics for all of those who favour eye candy above everything else; I'm not suggesting that is all pcars 2 has going for it 8)

60fps at a real 4K resolution on a single 1080 should mean decent optimisation for the rest of us hopefully!

Spladam

So... Karts in sims.

Shifter karts in Automobilista are the most fun you can have with karts in any sim in my opinion. Yet again, similar issues! But less pronounced, it feels like Reiza gave karts in particular more thought than other developers.

There are also probably good reasons why Assetto Corsa and iRacing don't have Karts... and I doubt it's just that they don't want to make extra tracks for the small crowd that wants to drive karts in a sim, when it's the only "race car" they could just as well drive in real life without having to win in the lottery first.
That my Thrustmaster TX doesn't have the torque to give real kart feeling (and my T500 not the weightlessness and speed) probably doesn't help either, but my money is on something with tire simulation and the high caster angles karts have... tire-shoulder grip/deformation etc. idk
Over at Race Department (I think, I can find you links if you can't find them) there are some Assetto Corsa mods for both carts and cart tracks. They are ok.

But I think Makikou is right, part of Karting is the shifting of your body for the weight transfer and that is done behind the scenes in the simulation. I kind of enjoyed the karting in Project Cars, I started my career with them just to keep it real.

Makikou

iRacing 2017 Season 2 Build Notes are out. I handpicked some of the more interesting ones!

Release Notes for 2017 Season 2 [2017.03.06.01]

Improvements and upgrades galore with this new season release.

Some highlights include:
• The Bullring
• Selectable pace cars
• Expanded hand-over-hand driver animations
• Dynamic headset audio for virtual reality
• McLaren MP4-30 MGU-K Optimized deployment strategy
• Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari frame rate improvements
• Extensive vehicle tire changes
• Engine sound updates
• 32-bit and DirectX 9 versions of the iRacing software are officially removed

Full details on this release are below.

Have fun out on the track!

Rendering

- A new graphics option to adjust Sharpening Strength has been added to the .ini file. This is very helpful for Virtual Reality users, as it enhances edges and reduces blurriness.

- A new graphics option to enable Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing (FXAA) has been added to the .ini file. This enhances anti-aliasing and makes pixels forming the edges of objects on the screen transition smoother between each other.

- Enabled the super-high resolution screen-shot functionality using DirectX 11.

Animation

- Driver arms now interpolate better in slow-mo, so steering animations will no longer appear choppy in slow motion.

- Hand-over-hand animations have been added or updated on the following vehicles:
- - Aston Martin DBR9 GT1
- - Audi Quattro GTO
- - Audi R8 LMS GT3
- - Cadillac CTS-V Racecar
- - Chevrolet Corvette C6.R GT
- - Chevrolet Corvette C7 Daytona Prototype
- - Dallara DW12
- - Ford Falcon FG V8
- - Formula Renault 2.0
- - Holden Commodore VF V8
- - HPD ARX-01c
- - Mercedes-AMG GT3
- - NASCAR K&N Pro Chevrolet Impala
- - NASCAR XFINITY Chevrolet Camaro
- - NASCAR XFINITY Ford Mustang
- - NASCAR XFINITY Toyota Camry
- - Nissan GTP ZXT
- - Porsche 911 GT3 Cup Car (991)
- - Ruf RT 12R

Spotter

- Two new Indycar spotter packs have been included in this build:
- - Chris Wheeler - Chris has been on the spotter stand for over 10 years and currently is the eye in the sky for Indycar racer Sebastien Bourdais.
- - Darren Manning - Darren is an English racer who formerly raced Indycar for Chip Ganassi Racing.

- Fixed an issue with the toggling of the spotter calling out lap times.

Virtual Reality

- The sound system is now aware of VR headset movement, and will now move and rotate the sounds to match your movements.

- The VR mirror output (Rift/Vive) now zooms to fill the entire window, rather than black boxing the image.

Aston Martin DBR9 GT1

- Season setups have been updated.

- Updated tires to reflect GT3 development, and are aimed at better over-the-limit feel. Drivetrain inertias and stiffnesses also updated to better match real life data.

Audi R8 LMS GT3

- Updated drivetrain inertias and stiffnesses to improve responsiveness of the engines when blipping out of gear, and show some oscillation when shifting gears.

- Significant update to tire construction and compound. Setups will need to be updated both to pass tech and to extract performance from each car. We think this is a big step forward in over-the-limit feel of the tires, but are aware of the risk that the GT3 BoP will be upset. We will be looking to you for help in ensuring a good BoP for the race season ahead.

- New drivetrain, transmission, gear shift, and brake sounds have been added.

BMW Z4 GT3

- Updated drivetrain inertias and stiffnesses to improve responsiveness of the engines when blipping out of gear, and show some oscillation when shifting gears.

- Significant update to tire construction and compound. Setups will need to be updated both to pass tech and to extract performance from each car. We think this is a big step forward in over-the-limit feel of the tires, but are aware of the risk that the GT3 BoP will be upset. We will be looking to you for help in ensuring a good BoP for the race season ahead.

- New drivetrain, transmission, gear shift, and compressor sounds have been added.

- Rear brake and tail lights now display properly at night tracks.

Chevrolet Corvette C6.R GT1

- Updated tires to reflect GT3 development, and are aimed at better over-the-limit feel. Drivetrain inertias and stiffnesses also updated to better match real life data.

Ford GT GT3

- New gear shift sounds have been added.

- Improved engine and transmission audio mix.

McLaren MP4-12C GT3

- Audio mix for engine sounds has been improved.

Mercedes-AMG GT3

- Improved engine sounds at lower RPM ranges.

NASCAR Sprint Cup Chevrolet SS

- Visually updated to match NASCAR's 2017 ruleset.

- Contingency decals updated to meet the 2017 NASCAR season.

NASCAR Sprint Cup Ford Fusion

- Visually updated to match NASCAR's 2017 ruleset.

NASCAR Sprint Cup Toyota Camry

- Visually updated to match NASCAR's 2017 ruleset. The car body is still the 2016 version; the 2017 body style is a work in progress.

Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari

- Art updates have been made with a focus on improving performance, especially at Rivazza and Piratella.

- Caution lights are now functional.

The Bullring

- NEW TRACK!
- - The Bullring at Las Vegas Motor Speedway is racing's answer to truth in advertising. Located a stone's throw away from the big 1.5 mile superspeedway that hosts NASCAR's big three national touring championships each year, The Bullring is an asphalt oval that's short on distance (3/8 of a mile) and long on action.

Cars on new tire construction/model:
GT1 (2)
GT3 (5)
Corvette DP
Cadillac
FGT GT2
Mustang
MX-5
HPD
KIA
Old MX-5
Old Riley DP
RUFGT3/C-Spec
Jetta
Solstice

I'm pretty excited to see what the "Porsche" tires do for the Vette in particular. Nothing needs "better over-the-limit feel" more than it, imo.

Over at Race Department (I think, I can find you links if you can't find them) there are some Assetto Corsa mods for both carts and cart tracks. They are ok.

Seen those, but hard to believe that they are good. I would believe that some new physics options would need to be added to the engine just for karts to get a simulated kart right. Also... modding a kart without any sources like "how did the devs mod their karts" or "I have this real world telemetry from a kart to compare the mod to" would be extremely hard.

I wonder how important the "leaning" actually is. You don't lean that much and mostly just pushed outside and lean to the wrong side. A stiff simulated body, that doesn't need muscle strength to not lean to the wrong side, shouldn't be too far off the real world behavior... just model the CoG a little lower than it actually is in a kart with driver and I guess it would be ok. Or at least not a major problem.

Spladam

Seen those, but hard to believe that they are good. I would believe that some new physics options would need to be added to the engine just for karts to get a simulated kart right. Also... modding a kart without any sources like "how did the devs mod their karts" or "I have this real world telemetry from a kart to compare the mod to" would be extremely hard.

I wonder how important the "leaning" actually is. You don't lean that much and mostly just pushed outside and lean to the wrong side. A stiff simulated body, that doesn't need muscle strength to not lean to the wrong side, shouldn't be too far off the real world behavior... just model the CoG a little lower than it actually is in a kart with driver and I guess it would be ok. Or at least not a major problem.

That was one thing about the Kart's in PC, the CoG feels EXTREMELY low, of course for obvious reasons, which is what I think gives them that "arcadey" feel. I've driven real world carts before and I felt it was not THAT far off, given the limitations of the models. They really are pretty nimble in the real world.

The cart mods in Assetto Corsa felt different that way, like the CoG was not as grounded, but you can still "feel" the complete lack of body roll in both, which gives them very little character. I never thought about there not being the proper physic parameters in Assetto Corsa for them to mod it, and I realized they just took what car parameters they had and tried their best to move them to Kart characteristics. I'm not an expert at the inner workings of the models, I just assumed AC had enough parameters built in to give them a rough simulation.

While I'm relatively new to this thread, I've been a long time lover of Race Sims, and I realize it's all just hit or miss. What I've read in this thread about the reports of PC fudging the physic model parameters and lack there of from that guy who went through the files was not surprising to me, as you can geniunely feel the drive model character, or lack of, in many of the cars.

What did you guys think of the Pagani models in PC? Only the Huayra BC felt like a fun drive to me, and the R felt really "dry" if that makes any sense.

One other question for you guys I've been meaning to ask here, do you guys do individual FFB profiles for every car in PC? It's a pain in the ass, but I've been using the classic settings from here, with a few tweaks, for every car, setting each one up before drives. Do you guys use this, and what do you think of the settings?

I'm on a G29 and use rocafella1978's default settings from here on the PC forums.

Pachimari

I wonder if this is the right place to ask. I just bought a Logitech G29 and a gearshifter but is now looking into a seat as the wheel doesn't fit my computer table. Is the Playseat Revolution worth it?

And is there a way to have a keyboard easily available, maybe a mount for it? So that I can have shortcut keys and all that in my PC racing games.

Makikou

I wonder if this is the right place to ask. I just bought a Logitech G29 and a gearshifter but is now looking into a seat as the wheel doesn't fit my computer table. Is the Playseat Revolution worth it?

And is there a way to have a keyboard easily available, maybe a mount for it? So that I can have shortcut keys and all that in my PC racing games.

Playseat is just stupid because they have that huge steering wheel pole between your feet.

I'd recommend a GT Omega seat instead. Similar pricerange: https://www.gtomegaracing.com/gt-omega-pro-racing-simulator-cockpit

Makikou

So something like the basic bundle? It comes with a mount for a drink and keyboard which I like.

Basic bundle is fine but honestly you want to get your screen closer to you. Having a screen far away makes you lose sense of speed and it's hard to be precise. You wouldn't drive a real car from the backseat either.

https://www.gtomegaracing.com/gt-om...ga-pro-racing-simulator-professional-rs6-seat

This has the single monitor stand that you can attach your monitor into as long as your monitor supports • Fits any monitor with VESA holes of 75mm x 75mm, 100mm x 100mm, 200mm x 100mm, 200mm x 200mm

Pachimari

Basic bundle is fine but honestly you want to get your screen closer to you. Having a screen far away makes you lose sense of speed and it's hard to be precise. You wouldn't drive a real car from the backseat either.

https://www.gtomegaracing.com/gt-om...ga-pro-racing-simulator-professional-rs6-seat

This has the single monitor stand that you can attach your monitor into as long as your monitor supports • Fits any monitor with VESA holes of 75mm x 75mm, 100mm x 100mm, 200mm x 100mm, 200mm x 200mm

Hmm, I just don't have much space in my 1-room apartment of 43m2, so I'm looking to minimize as much as I can while still having a driving seat. I'm thinking of using a Vive VR headset for my racing games.

Makikou

Hmm, I just don't have much space in my 1-room apartment of 43m2, so I'm looking to minimize as much as I can while still having a driving seat. I'm thinking of using a Vive VR headset for my racing games.

Well if you have a VR then forget about the stand! :) Although I wonder how Vive support is nowadays? I know a lot of sims support Oculus but Vive?

The basic one will do just fine for you then.

"Well if you have a VR then forget about the stand! :) Although I wonder how Vive support is nowadays? I know a lot of sims support Oculus but Vive?"

Every sim that is playable on Rift is playable on Vive, either officially or unofficially.

Makikou

Well then, looking forward to comments here on the new iRacing update:

- GT3 is exactly the same to drive fast as it was before. As someone who understands the limits of the car, this update changes nothing except you need to tweak your old setups a bit. Oh and the FFB is much more vague now and I dont like it at all. More on this on the next part. BoP is all over the place but that's expected.

- They ruined the GT1 corvette. The FFB feels like a flaccid dick and when you go faster it goes into full state of limpness/liquid. For me this is one of my favourites ruined. Sigh.

Spladam

Do many of you here have a TV that is dedicated to your sim racing?

Well then, looking forward to comments here on the new iRacing update:

- GT3 is exactly the same to drive fast as it was before. As someone who understands the limits of the car, this update changes nothing except you need to tweak your old setups a bit. Oh and the FFB is much more vague now and I dont like it at all. More on this on the next part. BoP is all over the place but that's expected.

- They ruined the GT1 corvette. The FFB feels like a flaccid dick and when you go faster it goes into full state of limpness/liquid. For me this is one of my favourites ruined. Sigh.

I just did a couple laps each in the MX5, Audi R8, Vette, and DBR9.

• The MX5's improvement was pretty subtle thankfully. This new car has always felt pretty right.
  • The Audi was, imo, just plain better. No more balancing the rear on a pillow of air if you step over the line. Very drivable. I really liked it.
  • The Corvette, wow is it different. I think it's much better in some ways. It's a lot more drivable as it should be. However the FFB as being mentioned is a bit odd. Sometimes you can't feel the front end, sometimes it feels latent. It just feels off. Broken even.
  • DBR9 Feels OP. Like it can't be crashed. You can really thrash this thing around which, if I'm honest, doesn't seem like the character of the actual car. I wasn't the hugest fan of how it drove before. This at least I think is more fun.
Like I said, 2 or 3 laps of Sebring each. The hottest of hot takes. More laps will likely turn up some more feelings. Whatever though, it's clearly a big change. I think it'll need some further ironing out, and it's not going to make everyone happy, but I think it addresses some of the long standing issues of over the limit grip.

Dave_6

I'm up to a 3.84 D rank in iRacing ovals. Is there any reason why I haven't been promoted to a C yet? In my profile it has said ready to be promoted since I hit 3.0 and I was a D then.

I'm up to a 3.84 D rank in iRacing ovals. Is there any reason why I haven't been promoted to a C yet? In my profile it has said ready to be promoted since I hit 3.0 and I was a D then.

Promotion/demotion happens at the end of week 13. One of the reasons why there are still official races happening during the week is so people can work on getting their SR up if need be. You can get a fast track (immediate) promotion at 4.0 however. You should just aim for that.

Makikou

I just did a couple laps each in the MX5, Audi R8, Vette, and DBR9.

• The Audi was, imo, just plain better. No more balancing the rear on a pillow of air if you step over the line. Very drivable. I really liked it.

I know it must sound weird that I say that it's just like the 2017 S1 build but the Audi is literally the same feel in this new build. The FFB just lost some force during cornering for me. Driving the car fast is an identical experience to the old build as is catching slides. You can save a bigger moment a bit easier but it's still the same movement I did with the old tire.

AxeMan

I've got an Obutto R3volution http://obutto.com/gaming-cockpits/r3volution-gaming-cockpit/
I can recommend. Very sturdy and wheel doesn't move around. Be aware though, it is big and takes up some room, especially if you go triple monitors.
I've 2 minor complaints with it. The screws/bolts didn't always thread nicely and some of the platforms don't level flat.

They didn't have a distributor in Aust when I was buying but Chris (who I assume is the owner) was good to deal with via email. He is based in Hong Kong I think. The whole thing shipped in 4 boxes and is heavy

Dave_6

Promotion/demotion happens at the end of week 13. One of the reasons why there are still official races happening during the week is so people can work on getting their SR up if need be. You can get a fast track (immediate) promotion at 4.0 however. You should just aim for that.

I've been running the K&N Pro Series lately but a new event is not showing for me. Matter of fact, no new events (except the ones below my MPR) are showing for me.

I know it must sound weird that I say that it's just like the 2017 S1 build but the Audi is literally the same feel in this new build. The FFB just lost some force during cornering for me. Driving the car fast is an identical experience to the old build as is catching slides. You can save a bigger moment a bit easier but it's still the same movement I did with the old tire.

No, it doesn't sound weird at all. I don't think the cars feel terribly different than before... below the limit. Yes there is more tire flex which makes some cars feel a bit mushy, but I don't think it's night and day. Over the limit is a different story because they have eliminated the "ice" slide, or "death" slide, or whatever you want to call it. That window where it's possible to lose the feeling of proper support from the tires when you're transitioning the car. It's the point to which we've all learned to drive up to, but not in to. It's very much been a learned skill, and now it's much more reactionary. Too easy? Well...perhaps...maybe, but how it was before (and always has been) wasn't quite right either. I certainly don't think it's any easier to be fast, but now you're just less likely to loop it. With less to be afraid of maybe it changes things, maybe it doesn't. Too early to say.

I've been running the K&N Pro Series lately but a new event is not showing for me. Matter of fact, no new events (except the ones below my MPR) are showing for me.

Yep, that's because it's "Week 13" which is the week after the 12 week season ends and they deploy a new build. There are no regular series races this week. Only curated races for people to race in. Some have SR and iR active, others are known as "fun races" where that stuff is turned off. Most have no license restrictions, so you aren't going to find any D class races.

Next Monday night the new season starts, and all the regular race series you're used to will be back. Until then:

Week 13 happens four times each year iRacers have a chance to participate in special week-long official and unofficial series for fun, to advance a step on the license ladder . . . or both . . . as well as in several official year-long NASCAR series.

The official Week 13 oval series, the Week 13 Street Stock Series consists of 30 lap races for the iRacing Street Stock Chevy on the Charlotte Motor Speedway Legends track as well as Lanier, Oxford Plains, South Boston and Thompson International Speedway. On the road side the Week 13 Mazda Global MX-5 Series runs 20 lap races at Charlotte (road), Lime Rock, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Okayama (short and long) and Summit Point Raceway (full course and Jefferson reverse).

Meanwhile, the NASCAR iRacing Series Open and Fixed continues with the digital Monster Energy Cup cars visiting Las Vegas Motor Speedway in concert with the NASCAR iRacing Class B and Class C Series for the Xfinity and Camping World trucks, respectively.

Safety Ratings and iRatings are in effect in these official series, offering competitors the opportunity to boost their license ratings before promotions for 2017 Season 2 are finalized at week's end. Likewise, rookies who have yet to complete the category-specific minimum participation requirements for graduation to a D license (two official races or four time trials in each category) can do so.

------------------

The unofficial (aka fun) series in Week 13 provide iRating- and Safety-Rating-free sim racing action including the Carburetor Cup (featuring the Monster Energy Cup Chevrolet SS, Ford Fusion and Toyota Camry) at Talladega, the Dallara Dash with the 2011-spec Dallara at Charlotte, the PickUp Cup with the original Chevrolet Silverado at Daytona ‘circa 2007 and the Industriefahrten Fun Series for the GT3 Audi, BMW, Ford GT and Mercedes at the Nürburgring.

Porsche-files can get their licks in competing in the Porsche Cup with the new Porsche 911 GT3 Cup on the Daytona, Charlotte and Indianapolis road courses, as well as Okayama (full), Barber Motorsports Park, Circuit of the Americas and Bathurst. There's something just for open wheelers as well, namely the Battle of the Little Wings for the Pro Mazda and the Renault 2.0 at Barber, Oran Park, Zandvoort, Mid-Ohio, Interlagos, Donington and Brands Hatch. Sports prototypes aficionados can also have their fun in the French Connection series with the Corvette C7 Daytona Prototype and the HPD ARX-01c at Le Mans.

Those looking for something completely different will have a couple of options: The Figure GR8 featuring the spectacular turbocharged Nissan at Irwindale Speedway and the Tube Frame Twister with the GT1 Corvette and Aston Martin, the Street Stock, Late Model and Super Late Model and the Radical SR8 at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Oulton Park, Zolder, Homestead b, Imola, Monza and the Nürburgring GP Strecke. And last but by no means least, once the new build is released, we'll unleash the Super Late Model on our newest track – The Bullring at Las Vegas Motor Speedway - in Bulls on Parade

So your options are to run the top half of the quoted text if you want to try and get your SR up to 4.0, and instantly bump up to C class, or run the bottom half and just have fun as you won't gain or lose anything for better or worse.

Thanks, still trying to figure out how all of it works. I'll wait till next week then.

Yeah, it can all be very confusing sometimes. You'll get the hang of it.

If you want to wait until next week to work on your license, no problem. You can however do the Pickup Cup, the Dallara Dash in the meantime. Free content, and no impact at all on your SR or iR. These two series stay during the course of the season too, if you're just looking for some no strings attached racing.

Top Bottom