• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Getting back into iRacing again, and just completed the 2nd night of racing. My racecraft is poor but the speed and consistency is there. I still can't judge the mirror or the exact distance to the car in front.

On the plus side I got my PSVR working in iRacing and it looks great compared to DriveClub. Tho currently only using it to practice, instead of race.

I can only get it running at 60fps/Hz as no matter what it seems that windows 10 is force both my screen to the same frequency even when the PSVR is set to 90Hz. I imagine this would make most people sick, but maybe years of playing F1GP on the amiga at 20fps has prepared me.

I really want to get Euro Truck Sim 2 working but not yet attempted. Not had much luck with AC, but think I need to play with re-vive.

membran

RaceRoom was updated yesterday to include a "first pass" OpenVR support, which means both Vive and Rift (and others) are in via SteamVR.

The game's still on DX9 from what I've read, so VR performance might be a bit off. Anyway, with VR now in, I'm going to download the game later today.

Ark

Tried out the new Porsche in iRacing and oh my god. What a car.

Honestly I think it's the best sim car I've ever driven in a sim. At the very least the best iRacing car & tyre model imo. Totally blown away. The brakes are going to take me a while to get used to, especially given that I need to shake off all the rust anyway, but god I might just try and come back to iRacing now for the 911.

plidex

Tried out the new Porsche in iRacing and oh my god. What a car.

Honestly I think it's the best sim car I've ever driven in a sim. At the very least the best iRacing car & tyre model imo. Totally blown away. The brakes are going to take me a while to get used to, especially given that I need to shake off all the rust anyway, but god I might just try and come back to iRacing now for the 911.

Damn you!! The GT3 Cup is my favorite series in the real world, and the Ruf Cup was my favorite series in iRacing. I haven't played since April and my subscription is lapsing in March.

I guess I'll have to give it a try this week, GT3 + Nordschleife is too good to pass, but I just can't see myself going back to iRacing permanently. It's too time consuming and I'm not even sure I enjoy it that much in the long run. But it has those moments that are better than any other game.

Jilt

Damn you!! The GT3 Cup is my favorite series in the real world, and the Ruf Cup was my favorite series in iRacing. I haven't played since April and my subscription is lapsing in March.

I guess I'll have to give it a try this week, GT3 + Nordschleife is too good to pass, but I just can't see myself going back to iRacing permanently. It's too time consuming and I'm not even sure I enjoy it that much in the long run. But it has those moments that are better than any other game.

The GT3 Cup is very good in Assetto Corsa aswell. Have not tried it in iRacing.
Any of you tried both? What's the difference?

The GT3 Cup is very good in Assetto Corsa aswell. Have not tried it in iRacing.
Any of you tried both? What's the difference?
My impression is that they're generally similar in balance, which is great! But jumping from one sim to another is confusing, as all of the differences in the input-output loop have a bigger impact on 'feel' than any of the differences there might be with the way they've reproduced the car. In particular, the FFB delivery of the two sims is very different, with AC having a lighter, 'springy' feel off centre at lower speeds and loading up more at higher speeds. Then there is the complex matter of tyre characteristics over the limit, where iRacing remains less forgiving, but AC arguably provides just as much challenge to extract pace right at the top of the 'window'. And there are a bunch of other more subtle differences like head movement, diff modelling, tyre audio, and so on.

If you try to take all of that into account... the cars seem pretty close. It is clearly 'the same' car and both devs have done a great job, and it's probably gonna boil down to which sim physics you prefer in general. However, there were a couple of things I noticed that could be differences in the actual car rather than the sims - the brakes, and the acceleration. The iRacing version has no ABS, but even with ABS disabled on AC, the Kunos version appears more stable under braking and requires slightly shorter distances to slow down. The iRacing car is particularly tricky on the brakes (even compared to other cars without ABS on iRacing). And the other thing is, iRacing's version seems to accelerate faster - it was particularly noticeable through 4th and 5th gear, so this is not due to traction out of corners. It just seems to have more torque, or is more slippery through the air. This acceleration advantage, combined with iRacing still having too much grip overall (imo), means that it's quite a bit faster than the AC version. Stick iRacing in overcast conditions, and it's wayyyyy faster.

And the other thing is, iRacing's version seems to accelerate faster - it was particularly noticeable through 4th and 5th gear, so this is not due to traction out of corners. It just seems to have more torque, or is more slippery through the air. This acceleration advantage, combined with iRacing still having too much grip overall (imo), means that it's quite a bit faster than the AC version. Stick iRacing in overcast conditions, and it's wayyyyy faster.

It might just be both, AC is usually slower than reality(anyone remember the GT-R Nismo outcry over comparisons with Top Gear Test Track and Nordschleife real life lap times - even after they put the 'cheat' "hypercar road" tires on it?!) and iRacing seems to be a tiny bit faster.

Also, I mean, this really shouldn't be the case with good manufacturer data of a race car, but... Porsche is kind of known for under-promising hp and torque figures. If one sim is more reliant on engine power figures than another sim that cares more about mimicking acceleration data, it makes sense that there are differences, even if both sims tried their best based on the data.

plidex

Just look at what Elliott Skeer said about the GT3 Cup on iRacing's forum:

I've done a couple laps at each track I've raced them at, with the setup directly off the real racecar. And my answer to that is.... Holy Fuching Sh!t Oh My God YES! Every tendency that I've picked up to drive this car properly works exactly as is on here. Little quirks that happen at Watkins or Sebring happen the exact same way. I'm in absolute love with this car.

And this is what he has in his signature:

2011 Mazda MX5 Cup Shootout Winner
2012-2013 Playboy Mazda MX5 Cup
2014 Porsche Young Driver Academy Winner
2014 RaceSpot Spa24h C3 Class Winner
2015 IMSA GT3 Cup Champion
2015 Porsche North America Junior Driver
2016 Conti Tyre ST class

EDIT: I don't know what GAF thinks of EmptyBox but he uploaded a comparison of the GT3 Cup on AC/iRacing/Automobilista https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMcuNZ1QbtU

I don't have time to watch it right now.

Makikou

My impression is that they're generally similar in balance, which is great! But jumping from one sim to another is confusing, as all of the differences in the input-output loop have a bigger impact on 'feel' than any of the differences there might be with the way they've reproduced the car. In particular, the FFB delivery of the two sims is very different, with AC having a lighter, 'springy' feel off centre at lower speeds and loading up more at higher speeds. Then there is the complex matter of tyre characteristics over the limit, where iRacing remains less forgiving

Regarding the bolded part:

Elliott Skeer, the man who has driven one of these things (not the 991.2 in iRacing but 991.1 which is basically the same but I think 20bhp less?)

He says that the iRacing version is too forgiving:
"On the limit? This car is pretty good on the limit as is. I'd say a more aggressive release point though. There's a 5* yaw window here that really lets you save a slide, and that's non existent in the real car. Needs a point of no return (sorry iRacers who think it's too snappy)"

Personally I think AC just lacks all the small nuances that iRacing and Automobilista (to certain end) provide. Hence for me iRacing > AC. The Porsche Cup is still the best car in AC though in terms of FFB.

TJP

In case you haven't seen it:

leaked pCARS 2 placeholder trailer

Lots of info within for those on the outside.

This is quite an old video, but apparently* there's a different official launch trailer coming in early Feb.

*according to a GTP 'insider'.
I hope SMS finally nail their design brief and provide the sim community a properly modern GTR 2 style release. They were two-thirds there with pCARS as some cars feel sublime and many others far less complete. I'd also like less issues at launch this time around too as in I hope Ian Bell pays a bit of attention to QA testing 8)

Excited to see pCARS 2 at some point in 2017.

Mascot

I hope SMS finally nail their design brief and provide the sim community a properly modern GTR 2 style release. They were two-thirds there with pCARS as some cars feel sublime and many others far less complete. I'd also like less issues at launch this time around too as in I hope Ian Bell pays a bit of attention to QA testing 8)

Excited to see pCARS 2 at some point in 2017.

I hope so too. QA is being handled externally this time (yay!) and reportedly already started before Christmas. Ian Bell has been quite open and honest about pCARS' deficiencies and how it fell short in some key areas. He does seem determined to address them in pCARS 2.

Ambition and execution are obviously two very different things but all the right noises are certainly being made. And with WMD2 no longer being investment-based, the comments from 'insiders' should be more objective and can now be listened to without prejudice. Anticipation should be tempered but there are some very positive impressions emerging.

Ark

Just look at what Elliott Skeer said about the GT3 Cup on iRacing's forum:

It does seem like many of the big names will be racing the Porsche from now on.

Speaking of iRacing though, I'd forgotten I'd actually bought a sub until 1-1-2019 hahaha.

I set up my wheel (G29) this morning for a day of racing games.

I played a bit of Dirt Rally, amazing, really fun tense driving.

I tried out Forza Horizon 3 with the wheel for the first time - It was horrible! It feels like I have very little control over the car, it is loose, I am spinning and cant turn properly. I was driving much worse than with controller where it is hard to avoid winning. Is this all me, or is this a known issue with Forza? is it a game best played with a controller?

terrible

Banned

I tried out Forza Horizon 3 with the wheel for the first time - It was horrible! It feels like I have very little control over the car, it is loose, I am spinning and cant turn properly. I was driving much worse than with controller where it is hard to avoid winning. Is this all me, or is this a known issue with Forza? is it a game best played with a controller?

The Forza series is awful with a wheel if you're comparing it to good PC sims. It's not just you. You can try putting the steering mode to normal instead of sim which does make it playable but it's still never great.

The Forza series is awful with a wheel if you're comparing it to good PC sims. It's not just you. You can try putting the steering mode to normal instead of sim which does make it playable but it's still never great.

I tried normal and sim, all bad!

First driving game I have tried where the wheel didn't improve my driving.

Hakkelus

GRID Autosport is pretty bad too. I guess bad ffb kind of enforces the feeling that you are playing an arcade racer instead of a simulation. With ffb you better notice what's wrong with the handling when playing with gamepad you maybe won't.

DD

GRID Autosport is pretty bad too. I guess bad ffb kind of enforces the feeling that you are playing an arcade racer instead of a simulation. With ffb you better notice what's wrong with the handling when playing with gamepad you maybe won't.

There's a somewhat good mod for the FFB on Grid Autosport that improves it a lot on Race Central.

terrible

Banned

I like cruising around with a wheel, it's pretty fun. As soon as I start trying to do rival times or anything it's controller time though. It's just way easier to put up top 1% times like that. The FFB combined with the physics makes for a bit of a mess imo.

The Forza Motorsport FFB is just absolutely nothing like a car, it's communicating the maximum side slip-angle very harshly like a wall of force, telling you "turn the wheel in any more and you'll spin" and it's pretty much always spinning, because - aside from this slip-angle - the wheel just gives you almost no information about counter steering, there is almost no force in the center... oh yeah, and the understeer effect of just taking even the last little wheel-forces away from you is horrible too. (so, theoretically, the FFB in FM is helpful up to a certain point, it just feels bad)

Now take that Forza Motorsport FFB-programming and apply it to to a game with arcade tire physics like Forza Horizon, then add a ton of different wheels that the FFB wasn't planned for and what you get is what you feel in the PC version of FH3.

I heard on VVV podcast though that Turn 10 is supposedly working closer with Fanatec to make the FFB better in the next Forza Motorsport. Definitely looking forward to the demo.

Oh, and one tip for FH3: try an offroad car on an off-road desert course. There the FFB is still somewhat fun.

It does seem like many of the big names will be racing the Porsche from now on.

Speaking of iRacing though, I'd forgotten I'd actually bought a sub until 1-1-2019 hahaha.

With the recent price hike, VAT inclusion, and GBP tailspin, your foresight dun gud!

I heard on VVV podcast though that Turn 10 is supposedly working closer with Fanatec to make the FFB better in the next Forza Motorsport. Definitely looking forward to the demo.

Well if they are looking towards a hardware manufacturer for help with ffb, they're looking in the wrong place. It's all in the software. Crap in, crap out.

VVV Mars VG

Just to correct that, from the official Fanatec quote. There is a new person who is responsible for physics and force feedback and this is a "wheel guy". He is a real world racer with car engineering background and very familiar with PC simracing.

Fanatec aren't designing the handling but obviously more input helps and god knows, Turn 10 need it. Forza 6 is horrible with a wheel.

He says that the iRacing version is too forgiving
Yes that was interesting observation, and not one that many people critical of PC sims want to hear... racing cars are supposed to be easy apparently! ;)

However, in the very same post he also says "This car doesnt have the grip of a GT3 but slides more than a V8 (imo)". He's referring to FIA GT3 cars and Aussie V8s there. Well there's plenty of footage of much more than 5 degrees of yaw in V8 Supercars, so these two statements seem a bit contradictory. But there's certainly room for interpretation when you start talking about on/over-the-limit behaviour.

In any case, Elliott has written many posts praising the overall accuracy of the iRacing version, and I haven't seen a reason to dispute that.

Ark

Does anyone here use the Playseat Evolution? I'm very tempted to buy one as mounting my wheel to the desk isn't quite ideal.

I have a T300RS and Clubsport V2's, I'm wondering if the Playseat Evolution is sturdy enough to support them both.

For the cost I wouldn't be happy having the wheel mount between my legs. I would look at the simetik k2 cockpit which after watching the gamermuscle videos currently seems to be best value rig. Doesn't come with a chair so, it's bring your own.
One day I'll get a real rig, or build my own for the complete, racing, euro truck, elite dangerous setup.

"For the cost I wouldn't be happy having the wheel mount between my legs. I would look at the simetik k2 cockpit which after watching the gamermuscle videos currently seems to be best value rig. Doesn't come with a chair so, it's bring your own.
One day I'll get a real rig, or build my own for the complete, racing, euro truck, elite dangerous setup."

I have something roughly equivalent but older and I can confirm, wheel mount between the legs is pretty annoying. Sourcing your own extruded aluminum profile (aka 80/20, though that's just a popular US brand) and a seat won't be much more expensive than a playseat evolution and you'll have something far more flexible (as in being made to suit your needs/preferences), expandable, and sturdier. That's probably my next purchase, personally.

From the Forza forums: https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/...FFB-Center-Deadzone-Fix--UPDATE--10-7-16.aspx

I don't have a G29 so I can't tell you how good it will be, but the similar settings for my G27 made it kinda alright.

Ark

I've used a wheelstand pro for years and never have any issues with the centre pole obstructing my Clubsport V2's. I'd love to build an 80/20 type of rig but space is an issue for me, so I need something that can be frequently moved while also being sturdy and "immersive".

I need a man cave.

"I've used a wheelstand pro for years and never have any issues with the centre pole obstructing my Clubsport V2's. I'd love to build an 80/20 type of rig but space is an issue for me, so I need something that can be frequently moved while also being sturdy and "immersive".

I need a man cave."

TBH, a Playseat Evolution is going to be just about as "stationary" as an 80/20 rig. Once you have all your stuff bolted to it, you're not going to be moving it around every time you want to play and when you're done. I mean, it's possible, but it's not a mobile setup.

Unless you mean a Playseat Challenge?

Watevaman

Does anyone here use the Playseat Evolution? I'm very tempted to buy one as mounting my wheel to the desk isn't quite ideal.

I have a T300RS and Clubsport V2's, I'm wondering if the Playseat Evolution is sturdy enough to support them both.

If I was buying again I wouldn't get the Evolution. It was OK with my DFGT, but it is a pain with the T500 pedals. The brake is centered right behind the post and the mounting plate is far from ideal with all the holes in it.

The rig itself is sturdy with minor flex with the heavy pedals even 6 years later.

And yeah, the Evolution is not very portable. Mine is stuffed about 5 feet behind my PC so I can drag it forward as needed (if you have a wood floor it won't end well) but it is very heavy, probably close to 100 pounds with the T500 attached.

From the Forza forums: https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/...FFB-Center-Deadzone-Fix--UPDATE--10-7-16.aspx

I don't have a G29 so I can't tell you how good it will be, but the similar settings for my G27 made it kinda alright.

It's just canned effect garbage. "Center Spring Scale = 150" wtf is this. Imagine a real car had an automatic re-center spring to center it again after decoupling.

It's probably not even that Forza has only "crap" under the hood. I think their tire-model has some this-gen nuances and fidelity, but the whole suspension isn't modeled correctly and without the right "levers" leading to steering column, to get self-alignment moments and scrub-radius right, it will never be on par with leading sims out there.

ONE guy can't make it right for the 600 or so cars FM7 will have, but look at GT6, their tire model is worse and they don't model the suspensions correctly neither, it still feels a lot better than Forza. So... one guy can't make it right, but he can make it feel a whole lot better, which would be good enough for me to be interested again.

Mascot

Ooh. Very interesting. GTR2 was bloody brilliant.

More competition will also mean more bar-raising, which is fantastic for the genre as a whole.

During the visit to the Manchester HQ, I was lucky enough to join the very small handful of people who have viewed the very very early "proof of concept" video featuring a car and track from RaceRoom in the Unreal 4 engine, and I'm seriously impressed. Despite the short video only having been created to see how the engine works in a racing environment, and having been created as a low profile R&D exercise, the footage I witnessed was simply mind blowing. With RaceRoom sounds, PCars graphics and Simbin attention to detail, GTR3 could well turn out to be the racing game we've all been waiting for.

I wish they'd release this 'proof of concept' video if it is THAT good. Great way to generate buzz.

mrsmr2

I'll still wait and see. Last time I played RRRE it didn't have sim handling - but that was probably 18 months ago so it's probably changed since then.

terrible

Banned
I played around with the Ultima 720 road car @ Oulton in Automobilsta for a short while yesterday after not playing a sim in probably months. I should've eased my way in, what a handful that thing is. I then switched to a Caterham to boost my confidence. Now that is one easy to drive natural feeling car.

Whatever was causing wheel sensitivity issues for me in that game in the past seems to have been solved since I last played which is awesome. I've gone through a full Windows reformat since the last time I played so it might've been driver related, I can't be sure.

Top Bottom