• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

I'm in the middle of making a NeoGAF livery for the McLaren MP4-12C in iRacing and it got me thinking; do we have any iRacers here that are interested in racing the 12 hours of Sebring in the McLaren as a NeoGAF team?

I think the minimum is two drivers, but I'd be happy just to get a GAF entry going :p

I think it would be fun to get involved in one of these marquee races. I've never sought out the opportunity before.

But... I'd only want to do it with enough teammates to keep the stint time/stint #s down. Splitting a 12 hour race between two guys isn't my idea of fun! Ideally, I'd like to do a single two hour stint, but if if you really twisted my arm I'd do two.

So I guess that's a tentative yes.

Ark

I think it would be fun to get involved in one of these marquee races. I've never sought out the opportunity before.

But... I'd only want to do it with enough teammates to keep the stint time/stint #s down. Splitting a 12 hour race between two guys isn't my idea of fun! Ideally, I'd like to do a single two hour stint, but if if you really twisted my arm I'd do two.

So I guess that's a tentative yes.

I'm happy to drive as many stints as possible but I ideally wouldn't want to drive more than two three-hour/ three two-hour stints. Three or four drivers would be ideal, so if anyone else wants in... ;)

GSC:E v1.27 is out:

Update introduces the 4-stroke GX390 amateur racing spec kart as well as the three-layout Londrina kart track to go along with it.

Video

• Updated terrain shaders & textures for Spielberg, Spielberg Historic & Interlagos Historic (other tracks to receive the same treatment in following updates)
  • Several sound updates & fine tuning
  • Several physics updates & fine tuning
  • Various AI fixes & improvements
  • Further optimization (F-Retro, F-Vee & trackside TV cameras specially)
  • Fixed bug with F-Retro shadows becoming corrupted and crippling performance
  • Upgraded Metalmoro MR18 windshield resolution in all cars
  • Fixed alpha in road lines sorting with 3D grass blades in various tracks
  • Improved scaling of mirrors in all cars (further mapping corrections still to be done)
  • Reduced default cockpit FOV from 55 to 50 degrees in all cars

Excellent :D That'd be two two-hour stints each over the course of the race with just the three of us.

If that's what we end up with, then I'm in.

I'd love to see someone else raise a hand before now and then as well.

I thought for sure this was going to be an absolute tank, but it's a 1/2 pound lighter than a (presumably) GTE? I couldn't believe my ears.

I held off on the GTE wheel because it actually weighs more than the larger diameter T500 wheel (attached paddles surely contribute). A half pound would put it slightly under the T500 GT wheel.

I won't spend $150 on it, but if it comes up on sale, I'll have to seriously consider it.

You know, Ark/BT, we really are...iRacing

amcvholkwbcguuxpflo9.gif

Risgroo

Good luck, guys!
We really should get some casual races together as well. I haven't had a proper race since Fastest Sector was a thing.
:(

Ark

If that's what we end up with, then I'm in.

I'd love to see someone else raise a hand before now and then as well.

There's still a couple of weeks to go, so plenty of time for anyone else to join up if they want :)

You know, Ark/BT, we really are...iRacing

198qj0pvzn5wqgif.gif

New version 1.27 for GSC Extreme:
http://www.virtualr.net/game-stock-car-extreme-version-1-27-released

And a race of two laps with the Formula V12 cars at Johannesburg Historic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiGV6RIGtSQ

Regards ;)

I really need to pick this game up, but with a new iRacing season and Bloodborne coming out soon I'm going to be a little too busy for a new sim in my life. Hopefully it'll be in a Summer sale or something.

Good luck, guys!
We really should get some casual races together as well. I haven't had a proper race since Fastest Sector was a thing.
:(

Do online races exist in GSCE? I'd probably pick that up for some GAF races. Failing that, Project Cars comes out in a few weeks..
GAF sim-racing league? ;D

Man that looks fun. I need to try out iRacing even though I'm a little intimidated by it for some reason.

I can see why you'd feel intimidated by it, but for me there's no better option out there for online racing. They've definitely got me interested for the rest of the year with Nurburgring and the Aston GT3.

EDIT: Apparently I'm replying to every post on this page. Sorry :p

Megasoum

Banned
Hmmm..someone found this on the Team VVV website:

Anyone here interested in this?

What's that? I bet it's a mobile game ported to PC?

Never heard of it before.

Edit: Ah yeah it's the WRC spiritual successor without the license.....meh

TJP

It has only been announced for the consoles..so it is interesting Milestone is yet to actually announce it officially for PC.

Megasoum

Banned
It has only been announced for the consoles..so it is interesting Milestone is yet to actually announce it officially for PC.

Hopefully this time they'll manage to make real steering wheel controls for once... 5th time the charm?

Dave_6

I can see why you'd feel intimidated by it, but for me there's no better option out there for online racing. They've definitely got me interested for the rest of the year with Nurburgring and the Aston GT3.

Looks like a one month sub is only $6 so I'll have to try it out soon.

I see that it is on Steam, which is nice, but it's $40 and then ~$54 every few months after that.

Ark

I see that it is on Steam, which is nice, but it's $40 and then ~$54 every few months after that.

IIRC there's a 3-month sub for new members for $12 promo going. I won't try to convince you any further because it really does become a rather expensive investment over time, but if you're into competing online, it's definitely worth a trial - though you will have to deal with your fair share of idiots.

Anyone here interested in this?
Only because the screens look weirdly photorealistic, and I'm optimistically assuming this means the rest of the engine has also moved on significantly from WRC. Also unofficial rally games attached to famous names tend to be better than the official ones! Sceptical that they will support steering wheels properly...

Unfortunately it looks like that Nurburgring1000 free trial promo has finished. And yeah, I'd avoid Steam... you can always integrate it later if necessary. Cheapest way to continue your sub to iRacing is with their Black Friday deal, which is always half off a year's membership (currently also available to new members). But obviously you might not want to commit at this stage so it looks like $6 is the right move.

[edit] missed Ark's post... I know it's half off for 3 months too, which is $15 - perhaps $12 is offered somewhere else?

Thank you! Will give it a go this weekend!
Well if you do, just be wary that we're in Week 13 (transition week between seasons to deploy new build), so the race schedules are not representative of the usual weekly selection. Ideal time to start though, if only to familiarise yourself with the sim a bit, and to do some practice runs. Season 2 starts on Tuesday. :)

Dave_6

Well if you do, just be wary that we're in Week 13 (transition week between seasons to deploy new build), so the race schedules are not representative of the usual weekly selection. Ideal time to start though, if only to familiarise yourself with the sim a bit, and to do some practice runs. Season 2 starts on Tuesday. :)

Noted. Is there any way I can run laps by myself to get some drive time or is everything in this sim always online? Like is there always other people on the track?

Noted. Is there any way I can run laps by myself to get some drive time or is everything in this sim always online? Like is there always other people on the track?
There is a 'Test' mode that allows you to load up a car and track of your choice, with no other drivers on track and no effect on your stats. It operates like an offline mode (to the extent that you can continue driving if you lose your connection), but you have to be online to load the track in the first place to complete a verification check. In all the other modes - practice, time trial, etc, you need an active, stable connection otherwise you automatically get kicked, and you can expect to be on track with other drivers. The practice mode with other drivers also doesn't affect your safety rating, but it does save your lap times, and you can be protested for mucking about (pretty rare as it's normal to see people pushing too hard in practice, crashing all over the place - you'd have to be acting like a real tool, driving the wrong way, deliberately wrecking everyone, etc).

A useful feature is ghost racing, where you can 'spectate' a live race from within the server (allowing you to watch any driver from any camera angle) and you have the option to join in as a ghost car, where the drivers will not see you and drive through you. This can help you get comfortable being near other cars, to practice following somebody's line, and to test your graphics performance when surrounded by cars. It can give you a false sense of security however, as the lack of contact and awareness from the other drivers is not the same as racing for real, so I wouldn't rely on it too much for practice.

Megasoum

Banned
Hah, will read!

Edit: Holy shit, I had no idea any of this happened. Jesus christ, what a clusterfuck. Again, Ian Bell still comes off like a jerk, banning people left, right and centre.

Sigh... Maybe it's because I work in the game industry myself but it always annoys me to see people who don't understand how a game is made. Every single game has cut features before release. That's just how game devellopement works. You first design the game with a "best of" scenario and then adjust as you go.

Also some people need to realize that, at the end of the day, it's still SMS' game. Sure the community had a huge impact on it (far more than any other game made) but in the end, SMS has to draw the line. You can't make a game by commitee.

Anyway... /rant off

TJP

Hah, will read!

Edit: Holy shit, I had no idea any of this happened. Jesus christ, what a clusterfuck. Again, Ian Bell still comes off like a jerk, banning people left, right and centre.
Some of the responses to the story on the blog are hilarious. I found the blog as some fellows whose sim has been lauded and criticised by the blog owner were having a giggle at the articles.

I have heard quite a few interesting insider stories too ;)

Watevaman

Hah, will read!

Glad I'm not going crazy thinking the damage system took a big hit. That's really the only thing I noticed, though, and hope they can implement the full thing back in an update.

Megasoum

Banned
Uhhh.... I guess I just got 6 months of iRacing for free? Wtf

I signed in my expired iRacing account.
I got to the "You must renew before continuing" page.
Instead of clicking on renew I clicked on "My Account" on top which brought me to the account info page.
From there I went to the bottom and clicked on "Generate a Steam Key".
I redeemed that key on steam, downloaded the 48mb launcher and opened the game.
That opens the website again where you need to sign in using both your iracing account and your steam account and then re-enter the steam key.
Once that was done I was able to go back to my "My Account" page and now my account is active and set to auto renew in September...

Ark

Are you 110% sure it didn't charge you through Steam or anything? If it didn't, welcome to the iRacing train for another six months ;)

By the way, the new iRacing website is atrociously awful. I can't believe they actually managed to make it less intuitive than it already was, and I hate not having my licenses & ratings on the main page.

Zeth

Is a T500RS the right upgrade from a G27? I'm ready to pull the trigger on Amazon, but seeing so many bad reviews about defects has me nervous. I guess that's always a possibility with this stuff though. What would be the best Fanatec option in that range? Not sure how comparable they are. I've gotten into drifting recently and I definitely want a belt drive now.

This is 99.99% for Assetto Corsa.

Is a T500RS the right upgrade from a G27? I'm ready to pull the trigger on Amazon, but seeing so many bad reviews about defects has me nervous. I guess that's always a possibility with this stuff though. What would be the best Fanatec option in that range? Not sure how comparable they are. I've gotten into drifting recently and I definitely want a belt drive now.

This is 99.99% for Assetto Corsa.

They've made many revisions to the T500 over the years. The early ones were pretty notorious for overheating and failing, but the later revisions (I have one) seem much improved. Logitech have a better reliability record than TM or Fanatec, but that wouldn't stop me from buying their stuff. Not at this point at least. Two or three years ago I probably would have said differently.

If I were to make that purchase today, I'd probably get a T300 and some CSR Elite pedals for the same money. The T500 pedals are fine. I use the BasherBoards brake mod with them, which I like, but I'd probably straight swap them for the Fanatecs given the choice.

I prefer the T500 ever so slightly over the new wheels but there's really very little between them. T500 is slightly sturdier but the new motors allow the newer bases to go lighter with less drag. The motors do have a funny electrical humm under load which is the only downer.

Megasoum

Banned
Are you 110% sure it didn't charge you through Steam or anything? If it didn't, welcome to the iRacing train for another six months ;)

By the way, the new iRacing website is atrociously awful. I can't believe they actually managed to make it less intuitive than it already was, and I hate not having my licenses & ratings on the main page.

Don't think so... I always use paypal on steam so they can't just charge me.

If you buy the game on steam you get a free 6 months so I guess the cd-keys they give to their members are retail keys.

Agreed. I guess it's slightly less cluttered and might be slightly less intimidating for new users, but for someone familiar with the layout, I find it quite annoying.

Hot damn Nordschleife is good in Assetto Corsa.
Magnificent isn't it!

Monza in iRacing is also very impressive.

A great day for sim racing!

Zeth

They've made many revisions to the T500 over the years. The early ones were pretty notorious for overheating and failing, but the later revisions (I have one) seem much improved. Logitech have a better reliability record than TM or Fanatec, but that wouldn't stop me from buying their stuff. Not at this point at least. Two or three years ago I probably would have said differently.

If I were to make that purchase today, I'd probably get a T300 and some CSR Elite pedals for the same money. The T500 pedals are fine. I use the BasherBoards brake mod with them, which I like, but I'd probably straight swap them for the Fanatecs given the choice.

Oh wow, just now realized the T300 has similar internals to the 500. Or that it's belt driven at least. I'll definitely consider this. I'll be losing the H shifter either way. Will start looking into Fanatec options.

Megasoum

Banned
Oh wow, just now realized the T300 has similar internals to the 500. Or that it's belt driven at least. I'll definitely consider this. I'll be losing the H shifter either way. Will start looking into Fanatec options.

Huh... You can buy the Th8A shifter with any Thrustmaster wheels to get a great Hshifter (+ Sequential)

If you buy the TX or T300 wheel you need the TH8A, if you buy the T500 then you need the TH8RS.

Actually my bad... If you have the T500 you need the TH8RS, if you get the T300 then you can use either the TH8RS or TH8A and if you get the TX then you need the TH8A.

I really don't see any reasons for anybody to buy a T500 nowadays when you can get a TX or T300 for less money. It's basically the same mechanics but they also have console support. All the rims and pedals are cross compatible too.

I'm so happy to have switched from Fanatec to Thrustmaster. Stuff just works now... Lot less complicated and lot less bullshit.Fanatec stuff can be so janky sometimes. Also way overpriced.

Zeth

Huh... You can buy the Th8A shifter with any Thrustmaster wheels to get a great Hshifter (+ Sequential)

If you buy the TX or T300 wheel you need the TH8A, if you buy the T500 then you need the TH8RS.

Actually my bad... If you have the T500 you need the TH8RS, if you get the T300 then you can use either the TH8RS or TH8A and if you get the TX then you need the TH8A.

I really don't see any reasons for anybody to buy a T500 nowadays when you can get a TX or T300 for less money. It's basically the same mechanics but they also have console support. All the rims and pedals are cross compatible too.

I'm so happy to have switched from Fanatec to Thrustmaster. Stuff just works now... Lot less complicated and lot less bullshit.Fanatec stuff can be so janky sometimes. Also way overpriced.

Thanks! Pretty sure I'm going with the T300. I haven't been following wheel hardware for quite a while now, so I've been out of the loop. Totally forgot TM has their own shifters. I still need the TH8A and pedals with a clutch, so that probably puts it back in the $600+ range.

edit: Ordered the T300. Eventually I'll get this RicmoTech adapter to continue using my modded G27 pedals with a TH8A. Does this adapter just work as advertised? Seems like a good compromise at the moment.

Can't wait to drift with this thing. I've been getting better at using the full wheel rotation, but it's usually not quite quick enough; I usually notch down the G27 lock-to-lock rotation with the button shortcuts to make the in-game wheel rotate a bit faster.

Megasoum

Banned
edit: Ordered the T300. Eventually I'll get this RicmoTech adapter to continue using my modded G27 pedals with a TH8A. Does this adapter just work as advertised? Seems like a good compromise at the moment.

Can't wait to drift with this thing. I've been getting better at using the full wheel rotation, but it's usually not quite quick enough; I usually notch down the G27 lock-to-lock rotation with the button shortcuts to make the in-game wheel rotate a bit faster.

Nice!! Welcome to the Thrustmaster familly!

I don't know about the Ricmotech adapter specifically but I use something similar with my TX.

http://www.basherboards.com/

The CPX adapter lets me use my Fanatec Clubsport pedals with my TX and it works like a charm.

Dave_6

There is a 'Test' mode that allows you to load up a car and track of your choice, with no other drivers on track and no effect on your stats. It operates like an offline mode (to the extent that you can continue driving if you lose your connection), but you have to be online to load the track in the first place to complete a verification check. In all the other modes - practice, time trial, etc, you need an active, stable connection otherwise you automatically get kicked, and you can expect to be on track with other drivers. The practice mode with other drivers also doesn't affect your safety rating, but it does save your lap times, and you can be protested for mucking about (pretty rare as it's normal to see people pushing too hard in practice, crashing all over the place - you'd have to be acting like a real tool, driving the wrong way, deliberately wrecking everyone, etc).

A useful feature is ghost racing, where you can 'spectate' a live race from within the server (allowing you to watch any driver from any camera angle) and you have the option to join in as a ghost car, where the drivers will not see you and drive through you. This can help you get comfortable being near other cars, to practice following somebody's line, and to test your graphics performance when surrounded by cars. It can give you a false sense of security however, as the lack of contact and awareness from the other drivers is not the same as racing for real, so I wouldn't rely on it too much for practice.

Thanks for the info! I still haven't signed up but I am going to try to tomorrow night so I can try it out over the weekend.

I still haven't gotten a new wheel yet so I am still using my ole DFGT. I am thinking about upgrading to the G27 since I am familiar with Logitech's profiler and I know for certain that their clamping system will fit my desk. I'm guessing a G27 will be a sufficient upgrade since I've only ever used a DFGT.

I'd love to have a T500 or similar but it's hard for me to justify ~$500 for a new wheel and I'm not sure it would work on my desk (it's an older, all wood desk with a very thick edge).

Risgroo

Thanks for the info! I still haven't signed up but I am going to try to tomorrow night so I can try it out over the weekend.

I still haven't gotten a new wheel yet so I am still using my ole DFGT. I am thinking about upgrading to the G27 since I am familiar with Logitech's profiler and I know for certain that their clamping system will fit my desk. I'm guessing a G27 will be a sufficient upgrade since I've only ever used a DFGT.

I'd love to have a T500 or similar but it's hard for me to justify ~$500 for a new wheel and I'm not sure it would work on my desk (it's an older, all wood desk with a very thick edge).

Upgrading from a DFGT to G27 is still a massive difference :)

Ark

I've had my DFGT since 2010. I bought some CSP V2's last August and I'm really considering buying a T300 RS but I've read lots of reviews saying it's a lottery for defects.

Ideally I'd buy a CSW V2 but...yeah...invite only and £800..

Nice video. Do you use the DK2 all the time now for sim racing, or do you primarily use a monitor?

Also, iRacing just posted a promo video for the Sebring 12 hours. I'll set up a NeoGAF team over the weekend most likely.
I've been switching between the two all last season. I'm more comfortable (and faster) with a monitor, but VR is so enjoyable that it is worth it in less critical races.

Top Bottom