• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

4upmo90.jpg

I just spit a little bit of coffee out :)

I just got my first laps of the Nordschleife in VR, and what an amazing experience it was. The place is a presence factory. In the open-top Exige, it really felt like wish fulfillment. Like it was granted from a genie. The elevation changes, the radii, the camber changes, it all looks exactly like the countless ring videos I've watched.

EDIT: Must have been a subconscious moment to use the phrase "wish fulfillment" after Betta did, but it really was like "alakazam alakazoo, you are now at the Ring"!

It's so easy to let your mind wander from today's primitive DK2 to VR ten years from now. It's gonna be bananas.

Ark

I'm hoping everyone dives to support the HTC Revive. That's most likely the headset I'll be getting.

^^ :D Exactly!

I had a little spring cleaning accident with my wheel this morning :( It fell off a couple of stacked boxes. Thankfully the rim took the entire brunt of it. The rest of it, including the base, collar and screw hole, are perfectly fine. I'm actually going to try and bent it back after I've got the button internals out of it. We'll see how that goes...

Looks like that leather wrapped TM28 GT rim will be mine sooner than anticipated :) Now it just needs to be available! "March" is what they're saying. If any NAns see it for sale, point it out to me.

Megasoum

Banned
^^ :D Exactly!

I had a little spring cleaning accident with my wheel this morning :( It fell off a couple of stacked boxes. Thankfully the rim took the entire brunt of it. The rest of it, including the base, collar and screw hole, are perfectly fine. I'm actually going to try and bent it back after I've got the button internals out of it. We'll see how that goes...

Looks like that leather wrapped TM28 GT rim will be mine sooner than anticipated :) Now it just needs to be available! "March" is what they're saying. If any NAns see it for sale, point it out to me.

Ouch! That sucks.

For the leather rim, pretty sure the TM facebook page said April

Ouch! That sucks.

For the leather rim, pretty sure the TM facebook page said April

Yeah, I see that it does say April. G'd damn!

I can't wait that long, so I better start bending, or take the GTE rim which would be a drag (literally).

I'm going strip down bendy, and stick it the oven. (wtf did I just write). If I can get it back to something resembling it's original shape, I'd deal with it for a month or so.

Watevaman

Fired up GTR2 for the first time in probably 8 months as a final farewell before I headed back to school and left my T500 at home. God, I'm still disappointed nothing that's out now (I don't have GSC:E, tho) gives me the feeling that GTR2 does.

Fired up GTR2 for the first time in probably 8 months as a final farewell before I headed back to school and left my T500 at home. God, I'm still disappointed nothing that's out now (I don't have GSC:E, tho) gives me the feeling that GTR2 does.
It's a shame you don't have GSC, as I'd pick that as the closest to GTR2, at least until PCARS comes out (and even then you might continue to associate GTR2 more with GSC as they're on the same engine). PCARS has a more direct link with GTR2 in other ways.

TJP

R3E news:

The release of the next patch is getting closer! The update will include a new car with the Cadillac CTS-V.R, as well as a complete overhaul of the GTR2 class with new physics and liveries.

We will also publish the Custom Championship Feature, that allows you to create your own Championship with your favorite cars and tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHHHUO6GB2Q

Watevaman

It's a shame you don't have GSC, as I'd pick that as the closest to GTR2, at least until PCARS comes out (and even then you might continue to associate GTR2 more with GSC as they're on the same engine). PCARS has a more direct link with GTR2 in other ways.

Yeah, I feel like GSC would be the closest. I will eventually buy it, I just didn't want to while I was away from my wheel and couldn't really play it.

Mascot

GTR2 (and the PnG mod, natch) is frikkin' awesome. STILL frikkin' awesome. I plug my three-year-old VAIO non-gaming laptop into my racing cockpit and can still get fifty-car grids at 60fps with pretty high settings, and it is glorious to play. If it wasn't for GTR2 I'd have built an uber-rig a long time ago, but this game will keep me happy for the rest of this year at the very least.

Azzawon

By the way, the new iRacing website is atrociously awful. I can't believe they actually managed to make it less intuitive than it already was, and I hate not having my licenses & ratings on the main page.

My God, just saw this thread and thought it was an appropriate place to come and vent. It is a huge step backwards.

bee

got the dream pack for assetto and monza for iracing over the weekend, monza has framerate issues :/ drops to 90fps with one car on track at 1080p with 780sli when i know i can run it triple monitor, 3D at 60fps...bleh

could be worse though, i fixed my black screen assetto issue by deleting all modded cars/tracks, great design btw when having old mods completely breaks the game, tried the dream pack for a bit (it's good) then i quit the game and it fucks my screen (screen moves up, top of screen is at bottom, soft reset needed) oh ye it now does this every single time i try the game, joy!

My wheel is back in action after much bending, soldering, hot glueing, and gorilla taping.

At least I've bought myself some time until the new TM rims hit the shelves.

From what I saw on the forum, Slim is putting out a beta 2 version of the NSX rather than a hotfix for 1.1. It sounds like it should be ready soon.

I removed the car mods that threw an error at startup, and then tested the rest by hand. Very few of them still loaded. I went to RaceDepartment, and downloaded any of the ones with 1.1 fixes. I'm sure we'll see plenty more fixed car mods popping up over the next week.

Ark

So with iRacing announcing a Blancpain partnership for the GT3 series, the press release reads:

"...with Aston Martin and another major manufacturer expected in the future"

It could just be hype farming, but given how successful the GT3 series on iRacing is, I wonder if we can expect Lamborghini, Mercedes, or even Bentley on the service this year? Audi is an option too of course, but Lambo & Bentley are far more exotic :D Also of note, the RUF isn't mentioned in the press release. It'll still be part of the series, but clearly the RUF GT3 is now on a timer until it's replaced by a real GT3 car.

One last thing; apparently there was a Q&A session with Tony Gardner (President of iRacing), and he said the Aston GT1 would be coming out before the GT3. I haven't found an actual source for this, so grains of salt and all, but that's interesting. I'd definitely welcome more GT1 cars to iRacing, but at the same time I can't imagine it would take that long to model both the GT1 and GT3 variants to release at the same time, especially when it only took them three months to do two NASCAR trucks.

I just got my first laps of the Nordschleife in VR, and what an amazing experience it was. The place is a presence factory. In the open-top Exige, it really felt like wish fulfillment. Like it was granted from a genie. The elevation changes, the radii, the camber changes, it all looks exactly like the countless ring videos I've watched.

EDIT: Must have been a subconscious moment to use the phrase "wish fulfillment" after Betta did, but it really was like "alakazam alakazoo, you are now at the Ring"!

It's so easy to let your mind wander from today's primitive DK2 to VR ten years from now. It's gonna be bananas.

This..

I've just attempted the special even Alfa 4C @ nords with the DK2. The evelation changes can be felt. I just really hope that that AC has day one support for vive/rift (Don't make me choose!)

// sweetfx mod makes a world of difference.

Dave_6

Forgot to mention in my previous post, but I finally gave iRacing a try late last night. Never did anything but solo laps but I tried out the CTSV-R and the two Miatas. Was my first go at Lime Rock and that is a fun track! I left the FFB settings at default; any recommended changes on that front? Still using a DFGT but I'm very close to ordering a G27.

// sweetfx mod makes a world of difference.
It certainly makes it look like a different world... reminds me of Auto Modellista. I appear to be in the minority here but I don't think it helps at all.

Forgot to mention in my previous post, but I finally gave iRacing a try late last night. Never did anything but solo laps but I tried out the CTSV-R and the two Miatas. Was my first go at Lime Rock and that is a fun track! I left the FFB settings at default; any recommended changes on that front? Still using a DFGT but I'm very close to ordering a G27.
There's a highly-detailed thread on the iRacing forum about FFB, which will have some recommended settings for the DFGT. One of the most important points relates to clipping, which can be seen in the 'F' bar below the FPS counter, so just make sure you're not smashing into red every time you take a corner and that should be a good place to start.

Dave_6

GTR2 (and the PnG mod, natch) is frikkin' awesome. STILL frikkin' awesome. I plug my three-year-old VAIO non-gaming laptop into my racing cockpit and can still get fifty-car grids at 60fps with pretty high settings, and it is glorious to play. If it wasn't for GTR2 I'd have built an uber-rig a long time ago, but this game will keep me happy for the rest of this year at the very least.

For whatever reason, I thought this game had been removed from Steam but I was mistaken soooo bought! I've heard too much good stuff about it as is. I also somehow had nearly forgot that I had Race 07/GTR Evolution already as I got them free last year. Once I got the wheel settings right (pretty sure these came out before 900 degree wheels right? Lol.) and took a few laps, WOW so much fun! This whole time I had been missing both of them. Have GTR2 installing right now.

There's a highly-detailed thread on the iRacing forum about FFB, which will have some recommended settings for the DFGT. One of the most important points relates to clipping, which can be seen in the 'F' bar below the FPS counter, so just make sure you're not smashing into red every time you take a corner and that should be a good place to start.

Thanks again! I'll check it out tomorrow while I'm at work and give it a good read.

TJP

Sadly no ability to add forced pitstops to races. :(
Sector 3 have get new experience packs along with the cars and tracks licences they have tucked away before they start to add more features. The size of the core dev team isn't very big so adding new features take a lot of time.

Spookie

Sector 3 have get new experience packs along with the cars and tracks licences they have tucked away before they start to add more features. The size of the core dev team isn't very big so adding new features take a lot of time.

It's still a feature in the other experences so I'm not sure why they can't just copy over forced tyre changes from DTM 2014.

Tilke gets a bad rap, but there are some great circuits on his CV. I've even grown to appreciate the 'Car Park' of the Americas. :)

I think circuit design would have probably changed with, or without him. Safety, and spectator friendliness weren't high priority items previously. I'm sure they would been brought forward by any modern designer.

TJP

Cool circuit, and designed by Tilke. Who knew?
A busted clock remains correct twice a day so I guess Tilke can get one or two tracks right ;)

I like that ISI has added a few tracks we don't normally see in sims; it's partly why GSCE is so damn good. I'd love to see a few more European, Asian and Oceanian tracks in rF2 (and in all sims).

TJP

Still beating the same 'I'm gonna build me a gaming PC someday' drum Mascot ;) Good on you for holding out this long - I'd have caved ages ago.

As you are a man of exquisite taste given your choice of sims, I implore you try (Game) Stock Car Extreme. We've been banging on about how great it is in this thread and it's about time more people at least tried it. If you can run GTR 2 with mods, you'll run GSCE without issue.

I fired GSCE up recently after Reiza had released their 1.27 update and was amazed just how great it is - whilst they aren't going to win awards, the graphics are clean and crisp, FFB and physics remain sublime and the sounds are great too. There are high quality mods are available on Race Department too if the vanilla version isn't to taste.

GSCE has no photo mode to pretty up the graphics to make nice screenshots; below screens were taken with graphical settings at max levels, AA set to level 3 and captures via F12 through Steam, saved as png files. Edit: image host converted each to a jpeg :(
Whilst it's no pCARS, Assetto Corsa or R3E, GSCE looks great despite being a gMotor sim :)

Mascot

Still beating the same 'I'm gonna build me a gaming PC someday' drum Mascot ;) Good on you for holding out this long - I'd have caved ages ago.

I've come close a few times but
a. the whole thing is a bit daunting so laziness gets the better of me, and
b. I want to make damn sure it's specc'd for good VR performance. Waiting until the unknowns are known has the added benefit of new chips/better bang-for-buck.

As you are a man of exquisite taste given your choice of sims, I implore you try (Game) Stock Car Extreme. We've been banging on about how great it is in this thread and it's about time more people at least tried it. If you can run GTR 2 with mods, you'll run GSCE without issue.

I keep meaning to but haven't had much time this year for any racing at all, and know that summer is traditionally when I game even less than the rest of the year. I will try though!

TJP

Milestone's Ride is now available to try on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/345660/

Steam's Ride demo discussion thread (largely revolves around getting the game to run at a decent frame rate): http://steamcommunity.com/app/345660/discussions/

Edit: It's utterly average in every way 8(

Ride looks like an upscaled Xbox 360 game with some fancy lighting. Further, Ride has clearly been optimised for the consoles given (a) you choose the texture RAM size to match the VRAM your GPU has & for the game to utilise (one can set it to auto) and, (b) people are reporting 85fps with a single ATI 290X and between 50-70fps with Nvidia 680's and 770's GPU's. Look at my screenshots below; this isn't AC or CARS, it's another unoptimised release from Milestone. Any gMotor sim looks better in-game; the pre and post race visuals are quite nice however in-game graphics are far less impressive. Laughably, the "high resolution textures" option adjusts the background quality only so you get a detailed background with it on and an untextured background with it off.

Edit: Alan from VVV suggests running Ride and the MotoGP games in windowed mode for a frame rate boost!

Replay mode screenshots (max settings):

In-game screenshots (max settings):

Physics are, even on Pro with everything off (anti-wheelie & TC), like SBK or MotoGP on semi-pro. With all rider aids set to off & with 'Pro' physics enabled, I launched the ZX-10R from standstill at redline in first gear expecting to flip the ZX-10R and I didn't even get the bike to wheelie nor did I elicit a chirp from the rear wheel. Ride any of the three motorcycles available in the demo over dirt areas and not a whisp of dust or gravel is kicked up, even at full throttle. Crash sounds - when you aren't bouncing off invisible barriers or areas - are just serviceable and there is no rider animation for the post crash run back to the bike; bike and rider simply teleport back to being upright. I will say the sparks when hitting the armco looks good though ;) Engine sounds are okay I guess. Racing at the one circuit offers up all the atmosphere of a paedophile's funeral.

All in all this is a budget release from Milestone; another 12-18 months of work, QA & polish and Ride could be good, if not great. A fool and his money will buy Ride on launch day; a smart person will search eBay for SBK 2001 (or seach GMG for SBK Generations on the cheap) if they want an experience that truly is worthy of the Milestone name.

Jamesways

Yeouch TJP! Thanks for the quite synopsis.
Upscaled 360 game with some fancy lighting you say? So like MotoGP14 then. Ha!

Will still try the demo when I get back home after this week.

Looks like I won't import this day one after all.

Dave_6

As I posted the other day, I just bought GTR2 for the first time. Messed around with it that night for 30 mins and liked it asap. Last night I spent some time (after researching all day yesterday) installing the no CD patch as well as a 'feels real' FFB mod. Booted up Spa 2004 with a full 60 car field and started from the rear; wow, soooooo good! It now has me looking for some other nice, quality mods to try out.

My G27 is supposed to arrive tomorrow and I'm quite excited to try out a 'real' wheel. My DFGT has served me well though so I can't complain.

rFactor; should I buy it the conventional way or get it off Steam if I'm going to be getting a few mods? I watched Empty Box's video about it and he recommended not getting it on Steam if one was to be installing a lot of mods. Also, how easy/difficult is it to install and run mods on it?

Dave_6

The Power And The Glory mod is utterly essential.

I was looking for it yesterday with no luck. I got the other two from nogripracing but I can't seem to find the P&G mod on there. There are tons of mods for the P&G though.

Watevaman

As I posted the other day, I just bought GTR2 for the first time. Messed around with it that night for 30 mins and liked it asap. Last night I spent some time (after researching all day yesterday) installing the no CD patch as well as a 'feels real' FFB mod. Booted up Spa 2004 with a full 60 car field and started from the rear; wow, soooooo good! It now has me looking for some other nice, quality mods to try out.

My G27 is supposed to arrive tomorrow and I'm quite excited to try out a 'real' wheel. My DFGT has served me well though so I can't complain.

rFactor; should I buy it the conventional way or get it off Steam if I'm going to be getting a few mods? I watched Empty Box's video about it and he recommended not getting it on Steam if one was to be installing a lot of mods. Also, how easy/difficult is it to install and run mods on it?

I have the mod that adds all the ALMS stuff from a bunch of years. I'll see if I can find it later and if not I may still have the files.

Top Bottom