• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Azzawon

This might be as good a place to ask as any.

I love Gran Turismo.

What is the best Gran Turismo- like experience in the PC?

There's no real 'car collector' game on PC in that sense as far as I'm aware, which is quite a shame. I'd like to know if anyone has any good suggestions too.

DD

Are you using the adaptive AI? If so, they take a few practice and race events to learn how fast you are and will adjust accordingly. It's not well explained however that's the way the AI are programmed to work; the more you race against them the better they become against you.

No, it's at 96 or 97. I like it when I can catch the AI cars when I drive well, and be beat by them when I don't. So I actually like it when they're on a similar pace as me (I'm not the fastest guy around, mind you :p). It's a little easy yet, so I'll have to adjust it a little bit further. I should increase it by one or two clicks. But the way it is, I find their race pace good, but on the qualifying I can easily put 2 seconds on them even on tracks that I don't know well. I find that odd, so yesterday I started a Group 5 championship with random grid order.

Should I use the adaptive AI? Will it be better for me? I'm kind of scared of this thing after Forza 4.

Sector 3 have new servers and the sim should be fast to load; it is for me and I'm down in Australia ;)
Southern hemisphere here too, but on the other side of our sphere. I live in Brazil, and the loadings are veeery sloooow to me. I never timed it, but I believe it takes around 1 minute. :p

It won't happen anytime soon as the Sector 3 owner wants the sim to be this way. Do many people like it? No, not even people within the team however Mr KW Suspension writes the paycheques and pays the bills so it's up to him.
And that's sad.

Anyone looking for a good base setup for any of the isiMotor 2 sims should read this PRC article: http://pretendracecars.net/2015/06/20/the-perfect-r3e-baseline-setup-is-here/#comments
Ooh, that's interesting. Thanks for sharing!

RaceRoom

b87a2sZ.png

----------

GSC:E

"Opala 1986 at Jacarepagua Historic - Coming up very soon, along with some very special news!"

TJP

Should I use the adaptive AI? Will it be better for me? I'm kind of scared of this thing after Forza 4.
As noted by others, the AI in isiMotor 2 games is very good but it has its limitations. Sector 3 didn't create a 'drivatar' system, it's more of a fine adjustment to the speed of the AI which takes a few races to sort itself out.

The biggest issue with the adaptive AI is Sector 3 never really explained to users they need to run several events in order for the speed of the AI to be set correctly. For example, run a full DTM championshi & you will easily beat the AI in the opening races and have a much harder time by the third championship round.

It isn't perfect but with time the adaptive AI become quite a challenge for all but the fastest drivers.
Southern hemisphere here too, but on the other side of our sphere. I live in Brazil, and the loadings are veeery sloooow to me. I never timed it, but I believe it takes around 1 minute. :p
It should be very quick as the servers were all upgraded. The wait is less than 25 seconds for me nowadays. If it continues to be an issue, I'll raise a bug ticket :)

And that's sad
I urge you to watch the SimPit interview with Jay Ekkel as he explains the transition from SimBin to Sector 3 rather well.

Shaneus

As noted by others, the AI in isiMotor 2 games is very good but it has its limitations. Sector 3 didn't create a 'drivatar' system, it's more of a fine adjustment to the speed of the AI which takes a few races to sort itself out.

The biggest issue with the adaptive AI is Sector 3 never really explained to users they need to run several events in order for the speed of the AI to be set correctly. For example, run a full DTM championshi & you will easily beat the AI in the opening races and have a much harder time by the third championship round.

It isn't perfect but with time the adaptive AI become quite a challenge for all but the fastest drivers.
You'd think that whatever developers were releasing games under that engine would just release a base-pack AI to work pretty much out of the box with all the shipped tracks. But I guess that would need every iteration of vehicle, vehicle numbers on track AND tracks to be included. Maybe that's a big ask or something.

DD

For example, run a full DTM championshi & you will easily beat the AI in the opening races and have a much harder time by the third championship round.
Started one yesterday because of you. :)

The first race was very easy, as expected. Let's see what happens in the following events.

And DAMN, these DTM cars are insane! It feels like a Formula One car. You can brake just before the curve, the cars is glued to the asphalt, lightweight and so powerful...

Very, VERY different from the whales of the Brazilian StockCar. A whole different level. Maybe that's the curse on why people say that the DTM races are boring. How can one overtake if the braking points are so close to the curves? But it's awesome nonetheless.

Thanks for the tips, TJP!

No doubt related to the V8 supercars.
Man, the V8 Supercars and DTM were my favorite classes back at Toca 2 and 3. I'd kill to have the full V8 championship, with all tracks and such. So great memories from Bathurst and Gold Coast...

TJP

The cars will be worth the money, but there's an air of beta about them at the moment. I'd hold off for the time being unless your desperate (which I was)
I bought the mod too ;) URD deserve a little love and for the small price, why not. I tried Atlanta with the 2015 car and a few AI and the frame rate tanked; it was sub 50fps the entire time. I don't know if it was a car or track issue as I tried the AC Cobra with 8 AI and rF2 ran at 60fps.

I then tried the same 2015 car at Silverstone with the P2 class (just 9 AI) and I had a stable 60fps. Usually I have a grid of 20 but couldn't be arsed adding extra AI just after completing a fresh install of rF2 and all the mod packages.

And DAMN, these DTM cars are insane! It feels like a Formula One car. You can brake just before the curve, the cars is glued to the asphalt, lightweight and so powerful...
That's the exact way the DTM cars are apparently. Some people think Sector 3 has somehow fudged the car physics and yet BMW's Bruno Spengler thinks Sector 3 got them pretty well spot on.

Very, VERY different from the whales of the Brazilian StockCar. A whole different level. Maybe that's the curse on why people say that the DTM races are boring. How can one overtake if the braking points are so close to the curves? But it's awesome nonetheless.
I bet jumping from a DTM car into a V8 Supercar feels the same as the Brazilian Stock Car.

Thanks for the tips, TJP!
Cheers DD. That's what we are here for ;)

Man, the V8 Supercars and DTM were my favorite classes back at Toca 2 and 3. I'd kill to have the full V8 championship, with all tracks and such. So great memories from Bathurst and Gold Coast...
Stay tuned..you never know what may appear in time ;)

"Opala 1986 at Jacarepagua Historic - Coming up very soon, along with some very special news!"
Can't wait for the new additions to SCE...sim keeps getting better and better.

DD

That's the exact way the DTM cars are apparently. Some people think Sector 3 has somehow fudged the car physics and yet BMW's Bruno Spengler thinks Sector 3 got them pretty well spot on.
Yeah, Chris Harris said something about how weird is to drive one of these cars. You see that big bodywork and have in mind that it's a GT car. But when you drive it, it actually performs like an open wheeler. It's hard for the brain to process that.

I bet jumping from a DTM car into a V8 Supercar feels the same as the Brazilian Stock Car.

I thought that the Aussie V8s were lighter than the Brazilian Stocks, but looking at an article, it seems that they're actually heavier. Weird, they seem more agile on track. That's because they're more powerful, maybe?

TJP

@DD

I've had the slow in Brazil issue checked by Sector 3 and they've already gotten a video from a user in Brazil showing them how slow the process was to load and play R3E from start.

It appears to be a combination of slow internet speed and the 'checks and balances' R3E does in start-up that may not be as intrusive on the upcoming public release builds. I do hope you stick with the sim as there are a lot of great cars and tracks coming (just don't ask me when!).

I thought that the Aussie V8s were lighter than the Brazilian Stocks, but looking at an article, it seems that they're actually heavier. Weird, they seem more agile on track. That's because they're more powerful, maybe?

I think the Brazilian stock cars are the more agile of the two. More aero, wider/lower, more tire possibly.

DD

@DD

I've had the slow in Brazil issue checked by Sector 3 and they've already gotten a video from a user in Brazil showing them how slow the process was to load and play R3E from start.

It appears to be a combination of slow internet speed and the 'checks and balances' R3E does in start-up that may not be as intrusive on the upcoming public release builds. I do hope you stick with the sim as there are a lot of great cars and tracks coming (just don't ask me when!).

Haha, oh man, that wasn't necessary. It's not a game breaker thing, it's just slightly annoying, but not something that would put me off the game. But thanks for that!

About future stuff, I have no doubt that good things are coming. They have some AMAZING stuff already, like the Group 5 cars, for example, and some great tracks too. The problem for me is that the Real is in a very low value compared to the Dollar, Euro, etc. So the conversion via their website is really turning things impossible to buy for me. It gets easier on Steam, but unfortunately they don't release anything outside the DTM and ADAC Masters packs. So I guess I'll have to stick with that for a while. But there's enough stuff already for me to enjoy. 17 tracks and 16 cars, enough to keep me entertained for 50 hours more. :)

I think the Brazilian stock cars are the more agile of the two. More aero, wider/lower, more tire possibly.

Maybe, but still miles behind the DTMs. Stock drivers "complain" that the current car is heavy and not much responsive. But I believe that they'll debut a new chassis for the next year, so maybe Reiza has something on their sleeves about that. :)

But I doubt it. The new car was never shown. :p

Race Deparetment have a short, but sweet interview with Renato Simioni. Here are a few goodies, but go and read it all yourself.

RD: Any news or details on that rumored Senna game?

Reiza: Can't share much yet, but there will be a lot more info about it before the end of the year. One thing I could advance is that while Ayrton Senna will certainly be part of our next project, its scope has probably become too broad now to call it "the Senna game".

RD: You've said that June is going to be a great month for GSCE. Can we get some kind of sneak peek at what's cooking in the Reiza kitchen?

Reiza: The base of the announcement is that we have licensed the ISI Motor source code, and while that's especially relevant to development of our next title, it can also have some impact into the current titles and that is what has driven us to launch a crowdfunding campaign. Our goal with the campaign, which starts tomorrow, will basically be to raise the funds to further develop GSCE (and also FTruck), making it a bigger & better simracing platform, before we wrap it up for good and shift focus to the development of our next title.

So it seems they'll be looking to port over GSC and FTruck to a new graphics engine, and then dev Senna on it. Sweet! We'll find out more tomorrow!

Atrophis

Reiza worked miracles with the current engine. Cant wait to see what they can do when they plug the physics into a modern graphics engine.

Zeth

Anyone looking for a good base setup for any of the isiMotor 2 sims should read this PRC article: http://pretendracecars.net/2015/06/20/the-perfect-r3e-baseline-setup-is-here/#comments

Holy shit, this is amazing. Thanks for posting. Pretty much universal improvements from defaults and my own tinkering in RRE for Gr5, DTM92, GTR2 - haven't tried DTM/GT3 yet.

I'm gonna give this a shot in Stock Car Extreme tonight. Any major mods I might be missing out on? CART seems awesome, but I'm still trying to get a handle on the fast open wheelers in the base game.

DD

Hah, when I saw that they'll add the Mitsubishi Cup, I knew that they would add the Velo Cittá circuit too. Nice! :)

And I'm glad they chose the old Montana Cup instead of the Brasileiro de Turismo. The current car is atrociously ugly.

Zeth

Holy shit this is exciting stuff. I'll be backing it twice, once for what I would have allocated to PCars lol.

I only hope they will simplify wheel rotation settings management to be more in line with AC/PCars/RRE

Shaneus

Oh god. With what Reiza have been able to do with a "last gen" engine, the idea they'll be going all out on something new is making my eyes water.

Edit: Wait, DX12? So what engine could they possibly be using? Pretty sure nothing right now has that capability. Could they be working on their own? Doubtful (waste of resources) but I have no idea otherwise...

Goddamn. Almost in for the $100 tier, I'd love to rock up to the F1 in Melbourne in my own Reiza shirt.

TJP

V10 F1 cars, V8 Supercars :O I thought this was supposed to have been patched by now.
It is..sort of. You set your wheel rotation to whatever you wish and you then set the in-game wheel rotation to match. What Reiza haven't done as yet is have you set your wheel to its maximum rotation and then have the sim automatically adjust the rotation in-game ala iRacing, rFactor 2, AC, R3E etc.

I'm not going to quote the whole damn page, but I'll try to collect the good stuff :)

--------------------

Indiegogo crowdfunding for Reiza Studios

Goal: $78,000 USD

Video

This campaign intends to raise a complementary budget for continuing developing GSCE & FTruck further, allowing us to best exploit the resources we now have for a substantial short-term evolution.

We recently have finalized a deal with ISI for licensing the ISIMotor source code...

While this deal is intended specifically for the development of our next project, it also presents us with tempting possibilities for our current titles - an opportunity too good to pass, after years limited by a hardcoded platform.

----------------------

The New Reiza Game

• PC Racing Simulator on Steam, to be developed, expanded & supported for years after initial release;
  • Integrates all our licenses & assets (present & future) into the same platform with free core updates + paid DLC packages;
  • Release price estimated at US$ 39,99 (base package, not including DLCs);
  • Initial release planned for Q4 2016;
  • Includes majority of the content base in current sims + expands substantially on official licensed content & international tracks;
  • DX12 graphics engine;
  • Extensive audio & physics developments;
  • Dynamic weather & track conditions.

GSC:E and F-Truck

• Graphics & audio enhancements;
  • Physics developments to include tire damage, realistic drivetrain modelling, enhanced FFB;
  • New hi-res UI design + HUD system customized for each car type;
  • Support for long distance races;
  • Automatic steering ratio adjustment + Support for more controller inputs & newer hardware;
  • Custom championship tool so users can build their own seasons for offline racing.
  • 4 dedicated servers running 24/7 under a defined scheduled featuring all our series, aiming to provide a go-to place for public multiplayer racing;
  • A Hotlap ranking fed from the servers;
  • Seasonal prize-giving official competitions.
  • SuperV8
  • Mitsubishi Lancer Cup
  • Copa Montana
  • Formula V10
  • Circuit Gilles Villeneuve (modern)
  • Velo Cittá
  • Mitsubishi Evo X Rally Cross
  • Stadium Super Trucks
  • Foz do Iguaçu (Dirt)
  • Renault Fluence & Honda Civic to complete the series 2015 lineup (Copa Petrobras de Marcas)
  • Formula 3 Brazil new spec cars
  • Interlagos update
  • More layouts to other tracks including jumps for series that have them
  • Additional cars and tracks picked by contributors
If we meet (or exceed) the campaign funding goal, all GSCE owners will enjoy a further batch of free updates (beyond those already planned) to include the items described above within 4-5 months of wrapping the campaign.

PSA: Time to fuck off the idea of backing Project Cars 2! Help an developer who has long supported their product before moving on to the next.
Holy YES!
We recently have finalized a deal with ISI for licensing the ISIMotor source code...
Great news.

I just backed Shenmue 3 for a fair chunk of money, but I'll have to back this too just because of...

super stadium trucks :)
Boing!

TheBear

Does the SuperV8 stuff have anything to do with the crowd funded mod for GSCE?
I really really want Aussie tracks (especially Wakefield and eastern creek)

TJP

Does the SuperV8 stuff have anything to do with the crowd funded mod for GSCE?
I don't believe so. From what I can gather Reiza will build the physics, FFB and sound for the paid-for mod for SimRacingOz (who I note have already pledged $150 to indiegogo) as planned and the car models are being built by someone else. Reiza will have their own 'official' car(s) in a later update - the image posted on the indiegogo page was of a Holden so maybe that's all that we'll get.

SimRacing Oz posted the following on RD:
someone please tell me that will sound like this :) I know that folder is Reiza's responsibility

Yes Paul... Reiza are doing the sounds. I think Reiza will get the sounds [to be] pretty good.

Just an update. All 5 cars are finished as you're all aware of. We are hopefully getting some assistance in getting the Final Texturing done to all 5 cars as so this matches the quality of the Reiza SuperV8 then we can get them out on track for testing.

A couple of PSAs:

Reiza have adjusted their crowdfunding rewards to better serve those that don't have GSC or Formula Truck:

Important notice!

We have decided to give steam keys (or NonSteam serial numbers) to contributors opting in for perks which include digital copies of Stock Car Extreme and/or Formula Truck 2013 right away, rather than at the end of the campaign.

If you're a crazy person and don't have Game Stock Car, now is the time.

-----------------------

RaceRoom is currently having a free weekend. All the content is unlocked, so now is the time to have a go in the new WTCC cars, or Group 5, or DTM 92, or ADAC GT Masters, or GT2, or whatever you'd like.

Here's the latest and greatest ffb thread over on RD, if you're not finding it to your liking.

DD

So Reiza licensed the ISIEngine.... But is it still the rf1 engine or they are actually upgrading to rf2?

It's the same from rF1, it seems. They said that before they could only 'inject' stuff into it, but now they can mess with it freely.

So Reiza licensed the ISIEngine.... But is it still the rf1 engine or they are actually upgrading to rf2?
Going by the way Niels described rF2's tyre model, presumably isiMotor 2, with plans to develop their own tech on top. I believe this is what both SMS and Simbin/Sector3 did.

DD

Guys, is there a way to prevent this kind of thing from happening?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOchRAb9JsU

I made this slow motion video to show what I mean. Watch it in HD and see his braking lights, and then, mine. I'm like something around 25 meters behind the car in front. He hit the brakes right at the stairs on the standings, on our right side. I hit my bakes 5 or 7 meters before his braking point, and yet I hit his rear under maximum braking and ABS on. Why?

I try to be a clean racer, and these things get on my nerves sometimes. =/

Guys, is there a way to prevent this kind of thing from happening?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOchRAb9JsU

I made this slow motion video to show what I mean. Watch it in HD and see his braking lights, and then, mine. I'm like something around 25 meters behind the car in front. He hit the brakes right at the stairs on the standings, on our right side. I hit my bakes 5 or 7 meters before his braking point, and yet I hit his rear under maximum braking and ABS on. Why?

I try to be a clean racer, and these things get on my nerves sometimes. =/
Is that against AI or online?

DD

If you really are instantly off the gas and at full braking, then perhaps a) the AI cheats, b) the timing of the braking light for the AI is not accurate, or c) bouncing off the ABS is less efficient than threshold braking...

Yep, instantly off the gas and full braking. I'm using an X360 controller in Amateur mode. It happens a lot in this game. I'll see if I can drive without assists. I could when I had a wheel, but with a pad things gets a little harder. I'll see if this behavior persists.

Thanks, Betta! :)

Man, I haven't raced in iRacing in over two years, decided to renew my subscribtion with the half off deal. God damn I forgot how intense races are in that game. The quality of competition and racing is unrivaled. Every online racing game has to have some sort of safety rating system. It is incredible for what it does to the quality of racing. I am rusty as all fuck, missing down shifts in my skippy, but it didn't stop me from having white knuckle side by side moments through multiple turns with people right off the bat. Not a single incident, just crazy ass racing even after a two year break. Feels so good.

Also, holy shit is the skippy 100% easier to drive now. It is so much easier to save and has a much better balance. I the setup I was running was a little more understeer balanced than I would have liked but it was a nice easy setup to get back in the swing. Nordschliefe can't come soon enough.

Top Bottom