• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Yep, instantly off the gas and full braking. I'm using an X360 controller in Amateur mode. It happens a lot in this game. I'll see if I can drive without assists. I could when I had a wheel, but with a pad things gets a little harder. I'll see if this behavior persists.

Thanks, Betta! :)

It could be tied to the mode, or the controller. Possibly even the AI strength. If everything else checks out, perhaps you're not getting full brake travel. Check that it's working right within Windows, and the sim.

Personally, I quite like the AI in RaceRoom, and haven't had any problems since they updated it recently. I haven't seen any issues like yours.

Man, I haven't raced in iRacing in over two years, decided to renew my subscribtion with the half off deal. God damn I forgot how intense races are in that game. The quality of competition and racing is unrivaled. Every online racing game has to have some sort of safety rating system. It is incredible for what it does to the quality of racing. I am rusty as all fuck, missing down shifts in my skippy, but it didn't stop me from having white knuckle side by side moments through multiple turns with people right off the bat. Not a single incident, just crazy ass racing even after a two year break. Feels so good.

Also, holy shit is the skippy 100% easier to drive now. It is so much easier to save and has a much better balance. I the setup I was running was a little more understeer balanced than I would have liked but it was a nice easy setup to get back in the swing. Nordschliefe can't come soon enough.

Indeed, and well done!

As far as the easiness, yeah, the tires have changed dramatically within the last couple of years. There's so much grip now, and the slides are much more progressive. The Skippy is a great litmus test. That car is nothing like it used to be 2, 3, 4 years ago.

DD

It could be tied to the mode, or the controller. Possibly even the AI strength. If everything else checks out, perhaps you're not getting full brake travel. Check that it's working right within Windows, and the sim.

Personally, I quite like the AI in RaceRoom, and haven't had any problems since they updated it recently. I haven't seen any issues like yours.
I tried the Get Real mode and made this new video. The AI is on the adaptive mode (maybe that's the problem?). Unfortunately the Youtube compression won't let you see that the Ferrari ahead hit the brakes a little before the 100m board, but you can see that I braked way before it, coincidentally together with the Pagani in second place, and it's clear that my car takes much more ground to stop.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if3q1-RJOtU

I checked the controller configuration, and the menus indicate that brake button is working as well as intended. :p

Ark

Man, I haven't raced in iRacing in over two years, decided to renew my subscribtion with the half off deal. God damn I forgot how intense races are in that game. The quality of competition and racing is unrivaled. Every online racing game has to have some sort of safety rating system. It is incredible for what it does to the quality of racing. I am rusty as all fuck, missing down shifts in my skippy, but it didn't stop me from having white knuckle side by side moments through multiple turns with people right off the bat. Not a single incident, just crazy ass racing even after a two year break. Feels so good.

Also, holy shit is the skippy 100% easier to drive now. It is so much easier to save and has a much better balance. I the setup I was running was a little more understeer balanced than I would have liked but it was a nice easy setup to get back in the swing. Nordschliefe can't come soon enough.

The skippy at Lime Rock is easily one of my favourite combinations in iRacing, it's a great little car.

Speaking of iRacing, the six hours of the Glen is coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering if we can get together NeoGAF Racing again ;) Right off the bat, I'm happy to drive as many hours as needed.

AxeMan

Speaking of speaking of iRacing, I've been wanting to get back into it for a while now, haven't had a sub for probably over a year now.
I've also given away my custom built rig so I need a new one.

I'm tossing up a Rseat and GT Omega. Anyone have any comments on those.
I've pretty much decided to pair it with a Thurstmaster t500

Speaking of speaking of iRacing, I've been wanting to get back into it for a while now, haven't had a sub for probably over a year now.
I've also given away my custom built rig so I need a new one.

I'm tossing up a Rseat and GT Omega. Anyone have any comments on those.
I've pretty much decided to pair it with a Thurstmaster t500

You have until the 30th to get half off a yearly subscription as a previous member for iRacing.
Promo code: PR-HalfOffLapsed2015

DD

Still struggling with this game's AI. Look at this shit. I'm in the yellow (sexy) Bimmer approaching the hairpin at Suzuka. Then the guy on the Ruf hit me. For me it's ok, shit happens. Even pro drivers do that sometimes, no problem with that. The problem is: this fucktard keeps pushing me through the grass preventing me from get back to the track.

https://youtu.be/PFmXuxbkJS4

This game came out more than two years ago, and I know that it's still work in progress, but I feel that their progress is too damn slow. I didn't have many issues with GTR 2 and Race 07 AIs (I love those games, I have most of the expansions) but why it is so problematic in Race Room? ;/

I really hope the AI is better on Project Cars, because that's what I'll be playing when it arrive this week
somebody will tell me to expect the worst. ;(

Still struggling with this game's AI. Look at this shit. I'm in the yellow (sexy) Bimmer approaching the hairpin at Suzuka. Then the guy on the Ruf hit me. For me it's ok, shit happens. Even pro drivers do that sometimes, no problem with that. The problem is: this fucktard keeps pushing me through the grass preventing me from get back to the track.

https://youtu.be/PFmXuxbkJS4

This game came out more than two years ago, and I know that it's still work in progress, but I feel that their progress is too damn slow. I didn't have many issues with GTR 2 and Race 07 AIs (I love those games, I have most of the expansions) but why it is so problematic in Race Room? ;/

I really hope the AI is better on Project Cars, because that's what I'll be playing when it arrive this week
I have bad news for you - Project CARS AI is excellent at dive-bombing and has the lovely sticky car feature too.

The skippy at Lime Rock is easily one of my favourite combinations in iRacing, it's a great little car.

Speaking of iRacing, the six hours of the Glen is coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering if we can get together NeoGAF Racing again ;) Right off the bat, I'm happy to drive as many hours as needed.

That could be fun. What eligible cars do you have?

Having another go at streaming some iRacing on Twitch. Qualy @ 10:15 and race at 10:30 EST. http://www.twitch.tv/gutterboy4444 I haven't raced in like two years so I will probably be battling at the back but it has been fun so far. I also don't have any mic or cam set up yet so it is just in game stream only.

Edit: Race starts in two minutes. Not the best qualy but maybe I can gain some positions in the race.

(click for video)

I'm trying my hand at doing a triple box video. Born from necessity because I'm using 16x10 triples. Even when recording just the center screen, it's not very youtube friendly. I'm giving this setup a go. Tell me if you like it, or if it gives you a headache :p

Never mind that though. GSC SUPERKARTS. There was a bug that shut off the side screens when using the superkarts. It just got patched, so I'm finally getting around to driving them. God damn! This combo at Taruma too is as whiteknuckled a ride as there is in sim racing. The exits of these super-fast corners are ridiculous fun as the kart starts skipping and twitching. The ffb feels amazing when you're hanging on for dear life. You've got to try this one for yourself. I've enjoyed watching some youtube videos of the real deal tonight, and man, do they look fun. Onboard Hockenheim (lapping at 1:40, DTM pole was 1:33). TV camera Championship race at Assen (dat speed, yo)

I'm going to do a post with my top five favorite sim cars (you are too, so start thinking!), and this puppy is on there. Along with at least one other GSC car. I don't even know how I'm going to choose from all these cars yet.

BTW, the new 1986 Opala that was just added to GSC is amazing as well. The original version was just too slow imo. This one is really lovely however.

DD

That's fuckin' awesome, Big Takeover! I had fun times at Tarumã on the Copa Petrobras de Marcas game, but I have yet to buy GSCE and maybe Formula Truck. Does anybody plays it with a pad to tell me if it's playable? I'm also kind of scared of the graphical updates for my humble PC. :p

Guess I should have gone for a better qualy lap. I thought that guy was going to keep rolling but I ended up smashing right in to him. Oh well, guess you have the occasional shitty race for all the good ones.

Aight, going for one last race tonight. Skippy at Okayama. Qualy @ 1:15, race @ 1:30 EST. Hoping for a better effort than last time. However, I have had a drink or two since then so this could be shit. If I can break into the 1:45's I will be mega stoked.

http://www.twitch.tv/gutterboy4444

Edit: Motha fukin race time. Again, not the best qualy, but I will try to avoid a crash this time.

TJP

This is from BSimracing

Renato Simioni of Reiza said:
Well to begin with I think you´re mistaken looking at it as a purchase - the current games are offered as an incentive for the investment, not the sole reason.

The $35 option should work for people who have one sim, but for whatever reason haven´t made the jump for the other.

The $75 option works great for people who were curious about our sims, but not quite convinced because of their current technical limitations (real or perceived), as now we have a base we can develop rather than a hardcoded platform. It´s a chance for people to jump in with both feet at a slightly reduced cost. It also works for those who are already into our sims and want to introduce a friend to them. It is in fact the most popular funding level so far.

It´s important to take note of the scale & goals of this campaign - it´s US$ 78k we´re trying to raise in 30 days, as a funding boost to allow us continue updating the current games for free. It doesn´t even cover all the costs of the plan presented, let alone funding of a complete new game. EA or Ubisoft would burn off that much on the campaign trailer alone so Im not sure how those companies even relate here.

At the end of the day people will perceive value in different things & different ways. We´re not expecting the campaign to lure every simracer on the planet, nor was it designed to. But if you are remotely interested in our current sims as you suggest, they would still be all you have to play from us for the next 18 months. I don´t see how a US$ 30-40 investment in the current games for 18 months of enjoyment is a bad move if racing sims in general are your thing - specially if the campaign succeeds.

MaxiLive

Cross posting from the Dirt Rally Thread.

The latest update Tarmac Terrors is out now!

Germany_Banner_1.jpg

• 12 new rally stages based at Baumholder in Germany
  • Owners Club Online Events – A second DiRT Daily where you compete in your own car
  • A second weekly event where we’ll be experimenting and throwing new challenges at you
  • 7 new rally cars featuring new Group B RWD & Kit Car Classes
  • Renault Alpine A110 1600S
  • Opel Kadett GT/E 16v
  • Renault 5 Turbo
  • Opel Manta 400
  • Lancia 037 Evo 2
  • Seat Ibiza Kitcar
  • Peugeot 306 Maxi
  • New calibration and options screens in “Advanced Wheel Settings” (added in v.0.4.5)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymX-88AvZYk

There will also be a live stream starting in 45 minutes:

http://www.twitch.tv/dirtgame

_machine

Fantastic stuff in the update (037 especially), I'm honestly super torn at the moment. On the other hand I already have AC, pCARS, GT6, RBR to play now that everything is totally different with a wheel and very little time to actually play, but both GSCE and Dirt Rally are super tempting and I want to support both developers. I'm kinda tight on money too what with flights and accomodation for GDCE and Gamescom being kinda expensive. Great to be a fan of racing games today though (expect for the next gen wheel situation), even with the tough decisions :)

Fantastic stuff in the update (037 especially), I'm honestly super torn at the moment. On the other hand I already have AC, pCARS, GT6, RBR to play now that everything is totally different with a wheel and very little time to actually play, but both GSCE and Dirt Rally are super tempting and I want to support both developers. I'm kinda tight on money too what with flights and accomodation for GDCE and Gamescom being kinda expensive. Great to be a fan of racing games today though (expect for the next gen wheel situation), even with the tough decisions :)

They're both tremendous titles, but they're not going anywhere. They'll be there for you when you're ready :)

TJP

rF2 News: Updated Indianapolis Motor Speedway v1.3

ISI said:
This update joins the recently updated Dallara DW12 Indy car to provide a place where you can race an Indy 500, but also with the stock cars – due for release very soon – a place where you can run a Brickyard 400 as well!

AI has seen quite a bit of improvement (especially on the 2007 GP layout and Oval) in the current public build, and will get even better with the upcoming build release (again – very soon). We’ve used a proprietary data technique to add some of the bumps we were able to detect during the initial surveys, and are very happy with how that has turned out. All-round, this is a very nice update to a fantastic facility

Changelog:
New additions
– Added “Brickyard 400″ layout for Stock Cars
– Added road (micro)bump for 2007 layout
– Added road (micro)bump for 2013 layout
– Added road (micro)bump for 2014 layout
– Added 2007/2013 and 2014 curb texture variations
– Added service pitlane fence posts for 400/500/2014
– Added Pit In cone for 400/Stock Cars
– Added dashed line on pitlane for 400 and 500 layouts
– Removed pitwall fences for 400/500/2014 layouts
– Enhanced AIWs for Speedways — less extreme Block Path
– Tweaked dashed painted stripe length
– Replaced loading screens for all layouts

Fixes
– Fixed various terrain gaps on drivable surfaces
– Fixed missing piece of road/terrain for 2007 and 2013 layouts
– Fixed gap in S1/T3 road for 2007/2013 layouts
– Fixed curbs gaps for 2007
– Fixed various painted stripe glitches
– Fixed and tweaked various GDB entries
– Fixed garage back door colliders on F1 pit garages
– Fixed UV mapping glitches on Gift Shops
– Fixed pit entry line for 400 and 500 layouts
– Fixed minor errors in all AIWs
– Fixed and improved various trackside cameras

Specific AIW tweaks for 2007 layout
– Stopped AI hitting garages when leaving
– Reduced false positive cut track warnings
– Improved AI speed in some corners
– Made LEFT Path to pit entry transition smoother

Download link (ISI mirror): http://www.mediafire.com/download/9yudc2n5at31tna/ISI_Indianapolis_2013-v130.rfcmp

I'm surprised that only 256 people have donated to Reiza's 'next game' fund. Considering how much content they give away for free, I thought they'd have more fans wanting to help. There's still 26 days left though, so time will tell.
stock cars – due for release very soon
:O

DD

If only that was Reiza's DX12 preview...

Brazil is such a shitty place that unless they find people from other places to work on their engine, I won't get so excited. There's simply no high quality workforce for this kind of thing here. But Reiza seems to have specialized on small miracles, so there's hope.

I'm surprised that only 256 people have donated to Reiza's 'next game' fund. Considering how much content they give away for free, I thought they'd have more fans wanting to help. There's still 26 days left though, so time will tell.

I wish there was more here to give people who may not already be Reiza super-fans. The "sell" is more free GSC content which, unfortunately, doesn't have any greater appeal than it's ever had. Even with plans to roll that content into their new game, it doesn't generate excitement like focusing on the brand new game would.

I completely understand why they took the tack they did, and that their options are very limited. Renato said they have funding for the new game already, but I suspect that budget will be spent almost entirely on the new tech. The majority of content will still come from GSC and Truck, and that new needs to get paid for up front.

I just wonder if focusing more on Reiza Next® with some renders, semi-details, and a Senna name drop would have been better able to reach a greater number of people.

It's going to be big I think. The oval rules etc that is.

Brazil is such a shitty place that unless they find people from other places to work on their engine, I won't get so excited. There's simply no high quality workforce for this kind of thing here. But Reiza seems to have specialized on small miracles, so there's hope.

I know of only four guys that work at Reiza, only one of whom lives in Brazil. They may be the only four employees they have for all I know. If they are in fact making their own graphics engine, it'll be globally collaborative that's for sure.

Yeah it does! I wonder if it will be incorporated into all existing tracks or if it will be a new purchase.
It'll be part of the core simulation, but iRacing often roll things out in stages, so it might not be enabled for every car/track immediately (in the same way new tyre tech doesn't go on all cars sometimes), but being such a fundamental part of the physics I expect it will just be enabled for everything - like when they introduced 'weather'.

TJP

What you've highlighted is the limitation with what can be done with the AI. The AI have shared logic in isiMotor sims and Sector 3, Reiza et al have to adjust the AI's speed in certain areas otherwise they go heywire. 'Sticky' cars can be an issue when the AI are trying to get back on track.

Are you playing on a controller on with a wheel and pedals? The AI may be adjusted too according to your controller.

Good luck with the AI in pCARS however SMS have just released a 1.4GB patch so who knows.

DD

I know of only four guys that work at Reiza, only one of whom lives in Brazil. They may be the only four employees they have for all I know. If they are in fact making their own graphics engine, it'll be globally collaborative that's for sure.

That explains a lot. I don't want to talk shit about my own country (although it deserves), but it's a fact that we are like 15 years in the past when we talk about videogames development.

What you've highlighted is the limitation with what can be done with the AI. The AI have shared logic in isiMotor sims and Sector 3, Reiza et al have to adjust the AI's speed in certain areas otherwise they go heywire. 'Sticky' cars can be an issue when the AI are trying to get back on track.
Yeah, but the AI in this game is so weird. Sometimes it works brilliantly, sometimes it's just wacky. They sometimes divebomb you, and sometimes they drive like a good driver. They're super aggressive on free practices or on the lap they exit the pits. They hit you, they don't give you room if you're in a fast lap like the AI on Codemasters's F1 games does, for example. I wish they could improve it. :p

Are you playing on a controller on with a wheel and pedals? The AI may be adjusted too according to your controller.
Yes, with a Xbox 360 controller. I didn't knew that there was a difference.

Good luck with the AI in pCARS however SMS have just released a 1.4GB patch so who knows.
Yeah, I'm prepared for the worst. ;(

EDIT: Id like to know what the hell the guy who designed this circuit had in his mind when he did it.

OscherslebenCircuitMap.jpg

Oh, I don't know... let's make the worst turn 1 ever. So bad that even after they redesign it, it'll still be crap. Next let's make an infinite boring ass slow curve to the right, where the worst pits exit ever is located. Then let's make a small straight where nothing will ever happen, followed by another endless slow curve. Then a few kinks leading to another endless boredom fest. Then we...

That's probably what went to his head. Seriously, I know this track since the old Toca games, and I hate it more and more every time I see it in a game.

Meanwhile beasts like this never gets any kind of love:

That's the Potrero de Los Funes circuit, in San Luis, Argentina. It's a somewhat long (6.27Km / 3.89Mi) circuit located on a fuckin' volcano crater. How cool is that?

TJP

Yeah, but the AI in this game is so weird. Sometimes it works brilliantly, sometimes it's just wacky. They sometimes divebomb you, and sometimes they drive like a good driver. They're super aggressive on free practices or on the lap they exit the pits. They hit you, they don't give you room if you're in a fast lap like the AI on Codemasters's F1 games does, for example. I wish they could improve it.
It'll be improved in time; everyone at Sector 3 knows what's good and not so good with the sim right now. Like Reiza and Kunos, there aren't a whole lot of people working on R3E; there are 3 guys all with seperate jobs on the AI and it's a lot of work to get each class and car right.

That's the Potrero de Los Funes circuit, in San Luis, Argentina. It's a somewhat long (6.27Km / 3.89Mi) circuit located on a fuckin' volcano crater. How cool is that?
Reiza are looking for track submissions from fans, looks like you've found one ;)

I don't want to sound like a broken record but I am still so pleased at how much the iRacing tire model has improved since I took a break about two years ago. I have had so many wild moments on Oultan Park today, from catching wild slides at high speed to side by side racing through corners where it was probably a bad idea. There is no sense of speed like being batshit close to another open wheel car, no matter what your actual road speed is. Everything feels like mach 1 when you are making blind turn ins while up the tailpipe of another car. Hnnnnggggg!! I forgot the rush you get when you are able to race closely with like minded drivers.

Also of note, they seemed to have added some new FFB options in iRacing and it makes my G27 feel loads better. That paired with the spring upgrade I did on the brake pedal since last time I played and I am geeking the fuck out on racing sims again.

Mascot

There are issues with the simplified physics model that the AI uses in pCARS that sometimes gives them better braking, cornering, wet weather and off-track ability (all acknowledged, all being patched) but overall I'm pretty happy with the human-like attributes and attitude that the AI displays during races. I'd like them to stuff up a little more often than they do (spinning out, going deep etc) but I think they do a pretty good job.

Top Bottom