• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

DD

If you want a fresh look at it using the latest content, download the GT Masters demo.

I forgot that I've downloaded this demo the other day. Just installed it, and hated to see that circular menu again. It's painful to use that crap, really! then I started the race and DAMN, dis good! Too bad that it's expensive for me. But I can buy the DTM 1992 pack without hating the piece of shit I am. Is it good too?

I forgot that I've downloaded this demo the other day. Just installed it, and hated to see that circular menu again. It's painful to use that crap, really! then I started the race and DAMN, dis good! Too bad that it's expensive for me. But I can buy the DTM 1992 pack without hating the piece of shit I am. Is it good too?

Yeah, it's good fun. Buy it through Steam since it's on sale, rather than through the RaceRoom store.

DD

Thanks for the info, Big Takeover.

Just another question: I'm considering buying the DTM 2013 pack instead because it's not much more expensive than the 1992 pack, and it comes with a bunch of tracks, which is more important than cars to me. Does these DTM tracks stay available for custom championships with different cars too, or are they restricted to DTM only?

Zeth

That's the list, yep. I'm not over the moon with paid content being superseded, but there you go.

Yes.

Good to know. I've gotten sucked in to this game over the past week. Loving the race weekends and championships. My only gripe at this point is that I'm still working on breaking in this game and it would be nice to have ABS in "Get Real" mode - but it seems it's only available in Amateur mode.

Only have WTCC and DTM 92 left to buy at this point - it's weird because the Steam sale still works out better than the in-game store with pre-owned track discounts.

Thanks for the info, Big Takeover.

Just another question: I'm considering buying the DTM 2013 pack instead because it's not much more expensive than the 1992 pack, and it comes with a bunch of tracks, which is more important than cars to me. Does these DTM tracks stay available for custom championships with different cars too, or are they restricted to DTM only?

Yeah, that might be the better way to go for you. Just live with the old cars for now. You pretty much have to get more tracks than what's included for free.

Yes you can use the DTM cars in regular RaceRoom, and use them like any other car.

@Zeth That's silly, isn't it? The whole Get Real/Amateur thing is goofy as hell. That would be the next thing I'd get rid of. Driving aids are pretty well understood these days. The regular offering would be perfectly adequate.

DD

Yeah, that might be the better way to go for you. Just live with the old cars for now. You pretty much have to get more tracks than what's included for free.

Yes you can use the DTM cars in regular RaceRoom, and use them like any other car.

Thanks again, Big Takeover, but I was asking about the tracks, not the cars, heh.

I actually have some tracks and cars I bought separately (before they released these packs), but tracks is never enough. There are also some cars I feel the urge to have when I see them on the menus, but as I've said, the conversion from Dollar to Real isn't helping. Stuff are expensive as fuck, really. The ADAC GT Masters Experience 2014, for example, which comes with 6 cars and 8 tracks is costing as much as Project Cars with its 70 cars and 35 tracks on Steam right now, so... no effin way.

Watevaman

Speaking of pCARS, did anyone have any more news about the expiration date on the voucher they give you? I could've sworn I would be getting a voucher that didn't expire, but the one I have expires July 8, long before I would be buying it in its current state.

DD

Yeah, I've been playing Race Room again, and even though they have added a lot of good stuff (better menus, championship mode, etc.), there's still some work to do. The AI, for example, works nicely during the race (not perfect, but it works) but it's too slow on the qualifying sessions. They stay in your way even if they are not on a timed lap, close the door, and are slow as fuck. I'm thinking about starting a new championship without qualifying sessions, with random grid positions, because really, it gets boring to start in first every damn race. I now I could raise the level of the AI, but then they'll be too fast during the races for my taste.

Still on the AI subject, they're not very patient when I'm doing slow laps to learn the layout of a track. They keep hitting me, and that's annoying.

Also, what the hell with these loading times...

PS: they should release this game as a full package like a 'Race' game, even if they can't use the WTCC, DTM and ADAC stuff, for people who wants the nice things they've made without having to sell the house to buy it. I don't know how's in other countries, but as I've said before, at least with my currency, it's much better to buy Game StockCar Extreme or Project Cars than buying the Race Room stuff from their website. Expensive as f*ck!

Anyway, it plays like a charm with a Xbox 360 pad, the graphics are decent (not great, but not fugly) and the sounds are absurdly good. The physics are great too, but I still don't like how the cars tend to weirdly pick a side to spin when a car hit the rear of another under braking.

TheBear

Really hoping my refund for Assetto Corsa comes through today.

Not sure whether I should spend it on Dirt Rally or GCSE though. Leaning towards Dirt since I already am digging into iRacing and PCars. Thoughts?

Really hoping my refund for Assetto Corsa comes through today.

Not sure whether I should spend it on Dirt Rally or GCSE though. Leaning towards Dirt since I already am digging into iRacing and PCars. Thoughts?

I'd say get DiRT. It's the most different to what you already own, and it's an absolute blast with plenty of cult cars and more coming soonish.

Also, I'm posting here with a copypasta from another forum to see if any of you guys can help. I'm dying to play Raceroom but lately it's been unplayable, see if anyone has some kind of idea.

I can drive for about 10 seconds before I start to get popping in the audio. Initially it sounds like distortion, as if the sounds were badly recorded and crackly (but it's not the sounds of course).

After about 10 more seconds, there are lots of gaps in the audio, where it's periodically silent for a few seconds. These gaps eventually get worse and worse until the entire computer/OS can't make any sound. It might be worthy of note that all sounds suddenly come back if I kill Raceroom's process. It's not just the game either. I frequently listen to podcasts in the background, and they begin to crackle and go silent soon after, as if the sound is completely being disabled by the game. After that, the FPS drops from a solid 60 to below 20 with stutters. If I alt-tab out to open Task Manager, the mouse and keyboard are extremely slow to respond and it takes a good few minutes just to kill the process, with the mouse completely freezing in some places.

A few notes if anyone wants to try and diagnose it.

1. The audio symptoms I've experienced before when setting a program to High Priority/Realtime in Task Manager. Naturally I thought this might be the problem so I've tested Normal/Below Average for Raceroom and it didn't fix anything.

2. It does seem to be CPU bound, randomly spiking my usage and essentially just consuming my resources.

3. Linking in with 2, I have a relatively powerful CPU (i5 3570), and I've played many much more intensive games without similar symptoms besdies the priority being too high.

4. My Windows install is less than a month old and other games work perfectly, so it's not a hardware, registry/Windows/background process issue.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Been playing DTM 2014 in R3E, lots of fun, but this happened during qualifying to me... and I only went up on my side, then fell back over on my tyres and kept going...

l9SdZEe.jpg

United Racing Design have finally released beta vehicles from their upcoming 12 vehicle LMP1/LMP2 series for rFactor2. You'll need to pre-order (9.90euros) to gain access to the beta.

(this was released almost 20 hours ago. How did I miss it? lol)

Edit: just tried 104 cars at Le Mans. LMP1, LMP2 and GTs... wow this is fun indeed. Note that the default setup needs tweaking for top speed at Le Mans.

Link

qQlFHTf.jpg

ftuufqB.jpg

_machine

Thanks, I was in from the first day for the first title and I'm in this time too. I'm not actually even that excited about building the all-inclusive motorsports stuff rather than I am about being able to iterate and expand upon the current features, but some stuff like the test track sound really nice:
YOUR HOME FOR RACING – Your own personal, customisable Test Track to tune and test your cars. Invite others to showcase your passion for racing and learn race craft and engineering with the Project CARS Academy
That said, I do think it would have been nice to have them pull a slightly longer pre-pre-pre-prodcution before going live since the truth is that they are much better at creating and defining the core vision and rushing head-on isn't always the best choice, though it does feel like there is already a rather strong vision behind the product. I also have to say that the little while they had the "quick and dirty" loose surface physics on the test track in pCARS 1 it did feel really good. Glad to see SMS and Codemasters really push that aspect of racing games further though :)

Great days to be a racer (especially now that a G25 is on it's way to me...) :)

Prizes aren't the cheapest, but for the ability to read and discuss is much more worth than just the base game. The original pCARS has been a really valuable learning in experience in game dev for me.

Megasoum

Banned
Thanks, I was in from the first day for the first title and I'm in this time too. I'm not actually even that excited about building the all-inclusive motorsports stuff rather than I am about being able to iterate and expand upon the current features, but some stuff like the test track sound really nice:

That said, I do think it would have been nice to have them pull a slightly longer pre-pre-pre-prodcution before going live since the truth is that they are much better at creating and defining the core vision and rushing head-on isn't always the best choice, though it does feel like there is already a rather strong vision behind the product. I also have to say that the little while they had the "quick and dirty" loose surface physics on the test track in pCARS 1 it did feel really good. Glad to see SMS and Codemasters really push that aspect of racing games further though :)

Great days to be a racer (especially now that a G25 is on it's way to me...) :)

EDIT:
Prizes aren't the cheapest, but for the ability to read and discuss is much more worth than just the base game. The original pCARS has been a really valuable learning in experience in game dev for me.

Yeah Ian said himself that they decided to go with Pounds instead of Euros because it gave them more money.

That sucks since it fucks everybody outside of the UK.

Anyway, I'll most probably join in at the lowest tier if I can find the money for that in time. I'm a bit tight these days.

_machine

Yeah Ian said himself that they decided to go with Pounds instead of Euros because it gave them more money.

That sucks since it fucks everybody outside of the UK.

Anyway, I'll most probably join in at the lowest tier if I can find the money for that in time. I'm a bit tight these days.
I feel you, though they and others did get burned a bit by the Euro losing value so I'm not surprised and I get the feeling that this time they really do want to include the WMD itself in the price. Not that I blame them; WMD whilst great, has also been a massive timesink into the development of pCARS 1 and it felt like this massive entity demanding attention more than it gave back towards the end.

Touge also sounds really nice, I also hope (and believe) they will expand upon the P2P track concept, really love both California Highway and Azure Coast.

15% downloading first build, though it's going to be very, very barebones.

EDIT2: Installing, feels very nostalgic :)

Megasoum

Banned
I feel you, though they and others did get burned a bit by the Euro losing value so I'm not surprised and I get the feeling that this time they really do want to include the WMD itself in the price. Not that I blame them; WMD whilst great, has also been a massive timesink into the development of pCARS 1 and it felt like this massive entity demanding attention more than it gave back towards the end.

Touge also sounds really nice, I also hope (and believe) they will expand upon the P2P track concept, really love both California Highway and Azure Coast.

15% downloading first build, though it's going to be very, very barebones.

EDIT2: Installing, feels very nostalgic :)

Oh didn't realize that was already a build.

Is there any kind of NDA on this one?

_machine

Oh didn't realize that was already a build.

Is there any kind of NDA on this one?
No NDA, pretty similar rules.

As for the build, it's a plane with different surfaces and a little jump, 3 cars (including a nice WIP Lancer VI) and that's about it. Far from a game and really nothing over pCARS 1, but that's a build zero for you :)

EDIT: Totally expected and one of the reasons I wouldn't have dared to do this yet, but people have really started jumping the gun.

Megasoum

Banned
Maybe it's because I work in game developpement myself but I have zero patience for people who have no fucking clue how a game is made and then go argue on message boards. I think I'm done with the pcars 2 thread. I don't have the patience for that bullshit anymore.

Lots of AI questions on the iRacing survey I just took. It would be interesting to see if they could incorporate it without disturbing the meat and potatoes of the service. Tough call. A small scale test would be intriguing.

_machine

Maybe it's because I work in game developpement myself but I have zero patience for people who have no fucking clue how a game is made and then go argue on message boards. I think I'm done with the pcars 2 thread. I don't have the patience for that bullshit anymore.
Me too, feeling kinda shitty (and these things multiply when a having a crap day in dev when a crucial deadline is approaching). Well luckily the wheel will arrive soon and you probably won't be hearing much of me then :)

Ark

Lots of AI questions on the iRacing survey I just took. It would be interesting to see if they could incorporate it without disturbing the meat and potatoes of the service. Tough call. A small scale test would be intriguing.

I'm unsure of how AI would really benefit iRacing. I don't see it working as a great learning tool because, as anyone who has found themselves in a 1k SOF Skippy split in their first week of iRacing can attest to, human drivers can be completely unpredictable.

I'm all for it though.

I just answered that iRacing survey with: Make everything cheaper. :D

I wrote a fairly lengthy post about how poor the community interaction is from the iRacing staff. I really feel like the only thing missing from the service is meaningful communication between the staff and the users.

This question was the toughest for me. I am most interested in all of these things.

9bd37ae6c5.png

I'm unsure of how AI would really benefit iRacing. I don't see it working as a great learning tool because, as anyone who has found themselves in a 1k SOF Skippy split in their first week of iRacing can attest to, human drivers can be completely unpredictable.

I'm sure there are plenty of beginners that would like to do a simulated race with AI, but you shouldn't let them leave the training wheels on. That said, do I think it would be good business to find a way to attract off-line only racers? Perhaps.

Zeth

That's crazy how the PCars announcement has all those detailed features listed already - is it a 2016 title?
crazy.gif

I'm finally going to buy RF2 this week to complete the collection. It's the only major sim I haven't touched yet. And I'm a huge fan of URD's work in Assetto Corsa, so I'll definitely be buying their new LMP pack.

The appeal of offline racers is the price though, I don't pay a sub for Raceroom. I don't pay £9 a track either but that's besides the point really. D:

I understand iRacing vs Others is about cost to you, but online vs offline is not about cost. Every sim has the ability to be both, every sim's offline player count is greater at any given time. Clearly the competitive nature of multiplayer is not for everyone. Hell, it's not even for most people. I think looking to attract that type of player makes sense for iRacing. Will it make it a better service for existing members? Well.... Can it be done without taking from same pool of players that currently race on the servers? Would it come out in the wash with an influx of new players? I really don't know. I'm wary at best.

The furthest I think they should ever go with AI is to create an interactive driving school. Update the videos, have them appear within the sim (can be done with this new UI I believe), and make each new member complete various driving and race craft tasks before they're allowed on an active server. The AI could perform all of the things shown in the current driving school videos. Make it quick and fun, so people want to try it more than once. But it would be mostly scripted, not full AI, because it needs to feel controlled and repeatable. As soon as you let the AI loose, it'll be taking iRacing in the wrong direction. I don't think they should offer an AI race at the end of the driving school for instance, as that would feel like the 'reward', when the reward should be 'now you can go on track with humans'.

Ultimately, I think that's the correct path. I don't think the multilayer talent/etiquette pool would improve if AI was a part of the service, and that's the thing I care about most with iRacing.

TJP

Yeah, I've been playing Race Room again, and even though they have added a lot of good stuff (better menus, championship mode, etc.), there's still some work to do. The AI, for example, works nicely during the race (not perfect, but it works) but it's too slow on the qualifying sessions. They stay in your way even if they are not on a timed lap, close the door, and are slow as fuck. I'm thinking about starting a new championship without qualifying sessions, with random grid positions, because really, it gets boring to start in first every damn race. I now I could raise the level of the AI, but then they'll be too fast during the races for my taste.
Are you using the adaptive AI? If so, they take a few practice and race events to learn how fast you are and will adjust accordingly. It's not well explained however that's the way the AI are programmed to work; the more you race against them the better they become against you.

Also, what the hell with these loading times...
Sector 3 have new servers and the sim should be fast to load; it is for me and I'm down in Australia ;)

PS: they should release this game as a full package like a 'Race' game, even if they can't use the WTCC, DTM and ADAC..
It won't happen anytime soon as the Sector 3 owner wants the sim to be this way. Do many people like it? No, not even people within the team however Mr KW Suspension writes the paycheques and pays the bills so it's up to him.

Anyone looking for a good base setup for any of the isiMotor 2 sims should read this PRC article: http://pretendracecars.net/2015/06/20/the-perfect-r3e-baseline-setup-is-here/#comments

TJP

United Racing Design have finally released beta vehicles from their upcoming 12 vehicle LMP1/LMP2 series for rFactor2. You'll need to pre-order (9.90euros) to gain access to the beta.

(this was released almost 20 hours ago. How did I miss it? lol)

Edit: just tried 104 cars at Le Mans. LMP1, LMP2 and GTs... wow this is fun indeed. Note that the default setup needs tweaking for top speed at Le Mans.
Well worth the money I presume? At the very least, the car models are excellent ;) The rest of the URD stuff is of a high standard and I expect this to be no different.

BTW - how did your PC handle the 104 cars?

rFactor 2 – Endurance Series First development screenshots: http://www.bsimracing.com/rfactor-2-endurance-series-first-development-screenshots/ (looking rather great).

I wonder how many will jump at the PCARS 2 kickstarter - based off the fact it appears no financial rewards are happening for PCARS #2? £50 is a little rich for my blood.

First footage?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PksszqVbUlM

TJP

Buy both! Reiza have made a sublime sim, it's updated for free with great cars and tracks and was on sale. Dirt Rally is a long overdue return to form for CM.

I'm sure my sentiments are shared with others on the pCARS forums, but isn't it a little Codemastery of SMS to begin working on a sequel before fixing a current version? I can imagine a few people are rather annoyed.

Well worth the money I presume? At the very least, the car models are excellent ;) The rest of the URD stuff is of a high standard and I expect this to be no different.

BTW - how did your PC handle the 104 cars?
I'm only drawing 44 cars, but the 60 invisible ones come with some overhead. Once going to native res from the usual downsampling I do, I was back to 60fps (with a few jaggies of course)

The cars will be worth the money, but there's an air of beta about them at the moment. I'd hold off for the time being unless your desperate (which I was)

rFactor 2 – Endurance Series First development screenshots: http://www.bsimracing.com/rfactor-2-endurance-series-first-development-screenshots/ (looking rather great).
Another quality set of cars. Very much looking forward to that mod.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm sure my sentiments are shared with others on the pCARS forums, but isn't it a little Codemastery of SMS to begin working on a sequel before fixing a current version? I can imagine a few people are rather annoyed.

That's how every singly video game studio work. They just don't tell you about it normally.

When a game ships, they need to start working on the next project right away if they don't want to be forced to lay off the staff.

Ian has said that roughly 40 people are still working on pCARS1 and will continue for a while. They will release more patches and release more DLC, just like they always said they would.

It takes 2 to 3 years to make a game. It's 100% logical to expect a sequel to a popular game 2-3 years after the first one is released....So guess what... That means they need to start working on it right away to release it in time.

Makikou

That EnduRacers mod is definitely the most intriguing thing. Then i looked at rFactor 2 pricing. Yeah.. i am not buying it yet atleast.

Can't wait to hear more about DRM Revival for Assetto Corsa. It's really the only thing i can make up a reason for owning AC.

How is the netcode in rF2 vs. AC?

Even to those who understand how this works, I still think it's perfectly fair to wonder how well they thought this through. Whether they like it it or not, perception is reality, and they continue to struggle with how they're perceived. At best this plan was naive.

I don't think the market is mature enough to accept some the realities of game making, nor are they too keen to talk money before they're delivered a bug free game. Battlefield 4 anyone? Even when it leaked from WMD that they were going to do a pCARS 2 a few weeks ago, people already started going nuts. Did they stop and reevaluate? Nope.

Letting the dust settle would have been a bit more prudent. Make your pCARS2, just publicly start at day 60. Who's really going to know the difference?

How is the netcode in rF2 vs. AC?
rF2 pro: netcode is great
rF2 con: no pickup and play. You'll need to join a league (of which there quite a few thankfully)
AC pro: can pickup and play with randoms (at least last time I checked)
AC con: netcode is still being developed (I think their next update is focusing on multiplayer)

Mascot

Even to those who understand how this works, I still think it's perfectly fair to wonder how well they thought this through. Whether they like it it or not, perception is reality, and they continue to struggle with how they're perceived. At best this plan was naive.

I don't think the market is mature enough to accept some the realities of game making, nor are they too keen to talk money before they're delivered a bug free game. Battlefield 4 anyone? Even when it leaked from WMD that they were going to do a pCARS 2 a few weeks ago, people already started going nuts. Did they stop and reevaluate? Nope.

Letting the dust settle would have been a bit more prudent. Make your pCARS2, just publicly start at day 60. Who's really going to know the difference?

Perfectly put.

Spookie

Eh, I've been burned enough times pre ordering this month. I'll wait and see, but I'm curious to hear peoples opinions on the physics.

Top Bottom