• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

rF2 Lola T70 Spyder Beta released (mustache included)
BHYeLSL.jpg

dON3vqm.jpg

saladine1

Just out of curiosity, in your opinion, which sim has the best implementation of driveline flex simulation?

At one stage, I thought iRacing did this well. But after the Raceroom update, I believe that it has the best driveline physics yet, including the audio that's associated with it.

Opinions?

Zeth

Whatever it is Sector 3 has done re: the feel of flex and torque from the transmission, it's awesome. Their splash screen about struggling to put the power down kinda nails it. The way you can feel the gear oscillations is incredible. And the feel of inner tire lift. I don't know how accurate it is, but it produces a feeling unlike anything I've felt in other sims. edit: disregard if this is not what you're talking about - lol

Does anyone install the third party mods listed on the rF2 remote content list? I have the full versions of the URD mods so I don't require the demo C7 etc but other mods I've never heard of or seen threads on the rF2 forum.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with these third party mods and can vouch for their quality; SCES are from SimHQ, no idea who BOP is/are.

I guess I could download them all and try each but I can't be arsed as I've seen enough shite mods for rF2 and Assetto Corsa to last me tenlife times.

I don't just for that very reason. I have no idea of their quality. I've become so particular about which mods I'll put in my sims these days. I try to keep it limited to the very best of the best.

additional smart things

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Indeed, and the lack of target render is the biggest problem, imo. Project CARS and Assetto Corsa are the success stories in the sim world, and I think it's mostly because of the graphics. The mainstream gamer doesn't give SCE a second glance because it's not pretty enough. rFactor 2's struggles can also be explained in part by the bland visuals. The importance of visuals is seems to be ignored/dismissed by a large portion of the enthusiast crowd, presumably because they've had to endure years of making excuses for the ISI and Papyrus graphics engines, saying things like 'well it's the physics that matter'. PCARS and AC have shown that it's the visuals that makes the difference if you want people to be excited. And that's not just the graphics engine, it's the whole presentation, the UI, the style of the trailers, the websites, etc.

I think it's smart to not pass judgement here because it doesn't change anything. Sims like GSC and rF2 are built to appeal to the traditional PC sim racer, which is fine except that they're watering the garden with the water that's left in the hose. The spigot is turned off, and has been for ages. If you've taken up PC sim racing in the last several years, you've come via GT or Forza - consoles. High budget games with great graphics and great UI
GT5 excluded ;-)
There's a renaissance in PC sims right now, and it's clear that the driving force is the new blood. I think Reiza's mistake was not addressing them. That's your market going forward.

diplomatic mode *off*
Actual BT mode *on*

ai4h3r7r.gif

Racing Sim UI is a fucking abomination. The shit we put up with is ridiculous. I know it is not what makes or breaks a sim, but some of the menus are so bad it does obfuscate meaningful options or information. iRacing UI looks like it was designed in MS paint on a dare.

Edit: I also agree that pretty graphics get butts in the seats. I wonder what it would take for iRacing to move to a new engine. Have they ever talked about that? Stock Car Extreme is a horrible game name. I thought it was an oval racing sim with crappy US cars. That is what, "stock car" conjures for me. Extreme is also way overused at this point.

You've missed some announcements since you've been away :)

https://youtu.be/EVk2r5v9A8I

Also DX11 is coming too which will usher in day/night cycle, weather, and just a better looking sim all together. iRacing is going to change more in the next year than it has in all the previous ones combined.

Looks amazing!

You've missed some announcements since you've been away :)

https://youtu.be/EVk2r5v9A8I

Also DX11 is coming too which will usher in day/night cycle, weather, and just a better looking sim all together. iRacing is going to change more in the next year than it has in all the previous ones combined.

Looks amazing!

That looks to be a massive improvement. Looking forward to being able to just stay in game and use that new UI. DX11 will be nice too.

TJP

I'm pretty sure he works for them in some capacity, be it a tester or other.
A heavily NDA'd tester ;) There are so many cars and tracks to be released, you'd be amazed by what Jay Ekkel has got the rights for. Some of the cars have been announced in other PC sims and there are other cars that you'll only find in unoffical mods.

If anyone is interested in testing, I'd highly recommend getting on board by contacting Sector 3.

TJP

I'd love to say something contrary about graphics not mattering..the truth is graphics do sell products. I don't believe graphics are the reason the crowd funding push for Reiza is stalling however it has played a part in people not trying or buying the sim.

Whilst I am fine with SCE graphically, others aren't and that's fair enough as PC sim have stuck with the original gMotor for a good while past its best days. I've already said in this thread I'd love Reiza to have made GSCE on Kunos software for the bling factor.

Reiza are in a position SimBin/Sector 3 and SMS were a few years ago. SMS have completely abandoned their ISI roots and Sector 3 have their own graphics engine driving their own version of pMotor and this is the route Reiza will need to take to stay relevant. Sublime physics and FFB aren't enough to attract anyone outside of the 'hardcore' sim racer.

DD

Damn, I finally got to play Project Cars and it didn't leave a good taste. Not good first impression, not good at all. The game is gorgeous to look at (better than I though it would be, judging by Youtube videos and screenshots), but for me it clearly shows that it is an unfinished product, ffs. I'm playing the PS4 version, and It struggles so much to keep the framerate at 60 FPS, and the lack of vsync is evident when that happens. They should tone down some things to keep the framerate more steady. I don't know, maybe less cars on the track, etc. The audio is also a mess. Too high on the default settings, yet the game showed me a video with very low sound (WTF, did they tested this game?).

That aside, I have to say that I hated the default controller configuration. I don't know how's this game with a wheel, but I have to say that with the (bad, I know) PS4 controller, the gameplay felt terrible. I literally spent something between two and three hours just to find a somewhat good setup, because the menus offer so many options while explaining no shit about them. I also felt the necessity to turn on the ABS, TCS and SC, and yet these things seem to not be very helpful, as I keep losing control of the car because the controls aren't tight like it is on Race Room, for example, and the assists still let you go if you push it a little more.

On a positive note, a few guys said that I would hate the AI, but I like it, really! Maybe it's a little naive when you get close and they push themselves to the grass to avoid contact. They also do some strange movements on track, but I find it better than the AI on Race Room. Ah, and I got overtaken by two ghost cars exiting the pits at Donnington. I was like, wat/

I laughed at the team principal "Adrian Boiston", the owner of a team whose name started with a letter 'V'.

Aight, time to do some 4th of July festivities in iRacing. Got my webcam and mic setup, have some light domestic beers and some vodka. Time for some drankin and drivin in iRacing.

Let's see if I can keep it on the track and celebrate 'Murica at the same time. Will be doing qualy at 1:15 EST and race at 1:30EST. Might stream some practicing before that.

twitch.tv/gutterboy4444

Thanks to anyone who watched. It sucks that I can't tweak things once in game since OBS stream crashes once I alt-tab out. I will try to get the audio balance better next time. That turned out to be surprisingly fun talking while driving. At first it was a little distracting, but in the end it helped me get in to a grove where I wasn't over thinking everything and stayed more relaxed.

Jilt

Damn, I finally got to play Project Cars and it didn't leave a good taste. Not good first impression, not good at all. The game is gorgeous to look at (better than I though it would be, judging by Youtube videos and screenshots), but for me it clearly shows that it is an unfinished product, ffs. I'm playing the PS4 version, and It struggles so much to keep the framerate at 60 FPS, and the lack of vsync is evident when that happens. They should tone down some things to keep the framerate more steady. I don't know, maybe less cars on the track, etc. The audio is also a mess. Too high on the default settings, yet the game showed me a video with very low sound (WTF, did they tested this game?).

That aside, I have to say that I hated the default controller configuration. I don't know how's this game with a wheel, but I have to say that with the (bad, I know) PS4 controller, the gameplay felt terrible. I literally spent something between two and three hours just to find a somewhat good setup, because the menus offer so many options while explaining no shit about them. I also felt the necessity to turn on the ABS, TCS and SC, and yet these things seem to not be very helpful, as I keep losing control of the car because the controls aren't tight like it is on Race Room, for example, and the assists still let you go if you push it a little more.

On a positive note, a few guys said that I would hate the AI, but I like it, really! Maybe it's a little naive when you get close and they push themselves to the grass to avoid contact. They also do some strange movements on track, but I find it better than the AI on Race Room. Ah, and I got overtaken by two ghost cars exiting the pits at Donnington. I was like, wat/

I laughed at the team principal "Adrian Boiston", the owner of a team whose name started with a letter 'V'.

I don't know any gaming software product that is finished just after release!
Especialy Project CARS, which was being developed with feedback from it's community.
I think they are doing a great job and, true there is room for improvement!

The game is a heap lot of fun though and playing it online is way simpler than AC for instance.

Megasoum

Banned

Oh oh... You just lit the Spookie signal...

I could give you a list if you like? But I might be here a while.

Nvm, too late

Bout to get dirty with some street stock oval racing. Did my first oval race this morning since coming back to iRacing and it was all over the place. I forgot what crash fests they are.

twitch.tv/gutterboy4444

Thanks! I am now three for three of street stock @ Charlotte where I qualify garbage, avoid crazy wrecks in some miracle way, and then finish 3rd. hahaha. Can't wait for the next short track. I don't like super speedways. So boring.

I really miss that after crash chat in iracing. Have to get back to iracing at some point. lol. The sudden bursts of audio chat too. Some fantastic stuff, especially on oval races.

Zeth

New Formula Corsa release today in about 20 min. Version 1.0 of the 2009 Williams FW31 with I think the full 2009 livery set.

I've been playing Stock Car Extreme all weekend and having a blast. The 125cc shifter is my jam. So far I've only really learned the Interlagos kart track so I'm looking to branch out. Same with road courses in this game really, I know Inter. Spielberg, Montreal, and Kansai.

Which tracks should I check out? I've started to get a handle on Jacarepagua historic, which is great in the Formula Classic/V12. Might have to sit down and learn some new circuits today.

I've been playing Stock Car Extreme all weekend and having a blast. The 125cc shifter is my jam. So far I've only really learned the Interlagos kart track so I'm looking to branch out. Same with road courses in this game really, I know Inter. Spielberg, Montreal, and Kansai.

Which tracks should I check out? I've started to get a handle on Jacarepagua historic, which is great in the Formula Classic/V12. Might have to sit down and learn some new circuits today.
I'd check out both Cascavel and Taruma. They're my favourites.

TJP

For those of us who are software agnostic, some good news from Reiza Studios:

Update 3 - More Good News!

Thanks to the 367 backers who together have funded 36% of the goal so far, we are very happy to confirm the following upcoming additions:

• SuperV8 (for GSCE);
  • Mitsubishi Lancer Cup (for GSCE);
  • Montreal modern (for GSCE & FTruck);
  • Velo Cittá (for GSCE & FTruck).
As per previous information, all backers from the campaign will earn early access to these developments as they reach beta status. The content will later be added to the release versions of the games for all to enjoy.

Still to make your contribution? Join in now, get early access and help us add more items to this list!
435 people have pledged which is great news indeed; average pledge remains near the $75 USD mark.

TheBear

Hey guys, need some help getting my safety rating up iRacing to progress.
Is it better to just participate in races, hang at the back and drive cleanly? If I crash out more than once, should I pit and repair or just disconnect? Do results count towards it?

Also, do I have to wait until the end of the season for the new licence or will I get it as soon as I hit 3.0?

Is it better to just participate in races, hang at the back and drive cleanly?
If you are nervous around other drivers, yes. Definitely yes if you are in rookie class.

If I crash out more than once, should I pit and repair or just disconnect? Do results count towards it?
If you dont finish the race and disconnect you will lose a ton a irating and the more laps you get in clean the more SR you get at the end of the race.

Also, do I have to wait until the end of the season for the new licence or will I get it as soon as I hit 3.0?
You have to get your SR above 4.00 + finish your minimum race participation (MPR) to advance during a season.

Atrophis

At the age of 32 I've decided to stop just messing around with pretend race cars and go and learn how to drive the real thing. Had my first lesson last weekend. I think my (pretty much non-existent) sim racing skills helped me out a bit. I wasn't crawling along at 5 mph like I've seen lots of learners do in the past. Actually, I was pretty much speeding the entire lesson, another 'skill' taken from sim racing perhaps! Can't wait for my next lesson, I already have the driving bug :D

Anyone else love sim racing but don't actually drive?

_machine

At the age of 32 I've decided to stop just messing around with pretend race cars and go and learn how to drive the real thing. Had my first lesson last weekend. I think my (pretty much non-existent) sim racing skills helped me out a bit. I wasn't crawling along at 5 mph like I've seen lots of learners do in the past. Actually, I was pretty much speeding the entire lesson, another 'skill' taken from sim racing perhaps! Can't wait for my next lesson, I already have the driving bug :D

Haven't had the chance yet, but will surely do as soon as it's possible. What car did you
get to drive?

Is it better to just participate in races, hang at the back and drive cleanly? If I crash out more than once, should I pit and repair or just disconnect? Do results count towards it?

What throwawayname said, but I will add this. Do not let a single incident ruin your race, and if you wreck early, definitely don't quit. I have gotten screwed by some awful driving from others, but suck it up, repair, and finish my race clean and end up in the positive SR. It isn't a huge boost in SR, but you are getting more experience at that track and quitting fucks you over big time.

Different license classes require different SR amounts. To see the requirements of yours, go to My Account > My Profile > My Licenses. At the end of each season their is an extra week (Week 13) of races to help people increase their SR before the promotion day. You have to meet your promotion requirements before promotion day, you don't get automatically upgraded the second you hit your target. This keeps people from bouncing around classes and series during the season. It seems September 14th is the next promotion date according to my iRacing calendar. I don't remember if lower licenses get more opportunities for promotion.

Edit: Forgot to ask if this is road license or oval? If it is oval, start in the pits 100% of the time. If it is road, and you can qualify in the top half, maybe consider it practice to race clean and spot accidents coming, if not start in pits.

There are really only a couple that I'm, at best, indifferent to. The vast majority I really, really like. Santa Cruz, Salvador, Jacarepagua, Buenos Aires, Londrina, Cascavel, Guapore, Curitiba, Cordoba, Taruma, and of course the historic tracks - Interlagos, Bologna, Johannesburg, Spielberg, Montreal.

There are so many quality tracks, it's crazy.

Ark

I'm basically in the same boat except I'm 21 and booking my lessons once I get paid on Friday. Looking forward to it :)

Long post about real life racing and racing sims incoming;

I was just getting in to racing sims, I think it was just GTR at that time, but I had obsessively played every Gran Turismo up to this point, especially GT3 with my first FFB wheel. I was becoming infatuated with racing. I decided I wanted to try racing real cars, I even had the delusions of leaving college to make it my career. Since I was paying my way at a community college at the time, my awesome parents and grand parents were super nice and chipped in and got me the 3 day Skip Barber racing school at Watkins Glen. In hindsight I bet the idea of me dropping out of college terrified my mom far more than racing in open wheel cars.

Anyway, it was the three most thrilling and fun days in my life. It is beyond addicting and I never wanted each day to end. Playing racing sims prior helped a ton. The racing line, braking points, etc were all natural at that point. I only had to learn the ins and outs of the car and how to heel-toe double clutch downshift. I was easily the fastest driver in my class and I think having the leg up and confidence from sims helped. I also read the Skip Barber book, "Going Faster" which I highly recommend for anyone wants to go from learning how to drive to learning how to race. There is this one memory where we practiced our first rolling start and I started toward the back. As soon as it went green I had a huge jump, the car in front of me was passing someone who was also passing someone, so I then went four wide and on the front straight of the Glen that means I was between a concrete barrier and three amateur drivers. It never once dawned on me for a second to be like, "that was pointlessly dangerous for a practice start" because that would be what I would do in racing sim without blinking an eye. Once I was out of the car and thought about how fucked it could have been if that guy bumped my tires or someone bumped him, I suddenly realized...oh yeah, real life, real injuries. But as soon as I was back behind the wheel it was a complete disconnect and going faster is all that matters. Same thing happens in go karts, it is a level of focus I can never ever get with racing sims. No matter what, I end up being distracted by some thought when racing in sims. There is something about the real speed and sensations that fires up a different part of your brain.

Unfortunately I have never had enough disposable income to continue racing real cars after the 3 day school, but I am so thankful I at least got to taste driving a race car on a real track at least once in my life, especially at Watkins Glen , the track I would see races at growing up, fantasizing about being a race car driver. My only real life racing thrills come in the occasional go kart session with friends. We would sometimes go to Oakland Valley Race Park which has a good kart track. Since my Skippy training, I have always been able to boss any one I race karts against (even the track staff). This is also with no ballasts and I weigh 25+ lbs more than some of the people I race against. My brother is always convinced I have the faster car, so I oblige and we switch and I still win. I then try to explain if we made our cars equal weight it would an even bigger blow out. My older brother never could cope when I was better at something then him, heheh. Lucky for him that short list is video games, skeet shooting and driving/racing.

PS- I envy those of you in Europe who have good access to track days. They are much harder to come by or way more expensive over here. I think I would have bought a used miata and made it track legal at this point if I would be able to drive it at the Glen more than twice a year.

TheBear

That looks like it would be a shit load of fun. Writing off your brand new car within an hour of racing would be the one downside.

I have built my own track R32 GTR, and I will never race it door-to-door for this very reason. If I fuck up and hit a wall well that's on me, but if some dickhead puts me in the wall on the first lap and writes my car off I would lose my mind.

in Australia we have a racing series called Supersprints, which is not unlike Time Attack. The great thing is you can take a road legal car, put on a helmet and away you go. I can't recommend track days enough for anyone even remotely interested in driving fast.

Makikou

Damn i am so jelly of all this talk about real racing. I will never be able to afford a car for racing.. and my 1.6l 80-90bhp Pug 206 definetly is not made for it.

Mad respect if you can rake in the money to race in a Ginetta.

Sickbean

Yeah I'm also considering just getting a Golf R for road only and then just buying an old MX-5 for track days. Less heartache all round.

Lach

Damn. All this talking about real life racing makes me want to "experience" some.

We don't have any race tracks in Switzerland (circuit racing is still banned here), so I'd have to go to Germany or somewhere else in Europe.

What are some good track days experiences (preferably 2-3 days)? I'd love to go to some classic track (Brand's Hatch or Silverstone) to do something like this...

Sickbean

Damn. All this talking about real life racing makes me want to "experience" some.

We don't have any race tracks in Switzerland (circuit racing is still banned here), so I'd have to go to Germany or somewhere else in Europe.

What are some good track days experiences (preferably 2-3 days)? I'd love to go to some classic track (Brand's Hatch or Silverstone) to do something like this...

I can whole-heartedly recommend Oulton Park. Proper old-school racing track in the north west of England. I think their current track day has an instructor take you out in a BMW M4, which you then get to do a few laps in yourself, followed by some laps in a single seat open-wheeler.

Lach

I can whole-heartedly recommend Oulton Park. Proper old-school racing track in the north west of England. I think their current track day has an instructor take you out in a BMW M4, which you then get to do a few laps in yourself, followed by some laps in a single seat open-wheeler.

Thx. I was checking out some sites.
I guess this is this offer
http://www.msvdrivinggifts.com/experience/racemaster.aspx
which is available on both Brand's Hatch and Oulton Park (I like both tracks in sims)...

Atrophis

I live 20 minutes from Donington Park. I've never liked the track in sims but I'm sure doing it for real would be a lot more fun.

Top Bottom