• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

TJP

Thank you for your suggestion. I just tried editing the file, and it always gets reverted to this <snip>
Open the file in notepad, change just these highlighted areas:

<custom type="uint32">1024</custom>
<custom type="uint32">768</custom>

Presuming you are using a 1920x1080 monitor it should read:

<custom type="uint32">1920</custom>
<custom type="uint32">1080</custom>

Ignore every other line for now. Make the required changes & save the file. You can 'lock' the file if you wish too as marvel suggests although it shouldn't be an issue.

Are your videocard drivers up to date too?

Patrick S.

Banned
Open the file in notepad, change just these highlighted areas:

<custom type="uint32">1024</custom>
<custom type="uint32">768</custom>

Presuming you are using a 1920x1080 monitor it should read:

<custom type="uint32">1920</custom>
<custom type="uint32">1080</custom>

Ignore every other line for now. Make the required changes & save the file. You can 'lock' the file if you wish too as marvel suggests although it shouldn't be an issue.

Are your videocard drivers up to date too?

If I lock the file, I get the file error at launch. Locked or unlocked file, the game will always start in a 1024x768 window.

The video card drivers are the latest ones from nvidia experience.

Thank you for trying to help, BTW :)

Lach

Do you have an Oculus that is attached to the PC?
I had some weird stuff happening to me lately (pCars always starting in windowed mode, iRacing being black in full screen). I finally traced it back to the DK2 Service messing with stuff even though configuring the games to NOT use Oculus.

Patrick S.

Banned
Do you have an Oculus that is attached to the PC?
I had some weird stuff happening to me lately (pCars always starting in windowed mode, iRacing being black in full screen). I finally traced it back to the DK2 Service messing with stuff even though configuring the games to NOT use Oculus.

I wish, but no :)

TJP

@Patrick S

What series is your videocard? I'm presuming something above the 400 series from Nvidia. What resolution is your desktop set to?

Can you change any option in the graphics settings menu?
oSWPTk6.jpg

I'd like to get to the bottom of this issue if I can ;)

Patrick S.

Banned
@Patrick S

What series is your videocard? I'm presuming something above the 400 series from Nvidia. What resolution is your desktop set to?

Can you change any option in the graphics settings menu?

I'd like to get to the bottom of this issue if I can ;)

It's a GTX970, with the desktop resolution set to 1980x1020. I can change the resolution in the menu, and switch between full screen and windowed mode. But I get a very limited selection of available resolutions. I don't get either 1980x1020 or 1280x720, which are the resolutions that look good on my screen.

TJP

It's a GTX970, with the desktop resolution set to 1980x1020. I can change the resolution in the menu, and switch between full screen and windowed mode. But I get a very limited selection of available resolutions. I don't get either 1980x1020 or 1280x720, which are the resolutions that look good on my screen.
This is really odd. No problems with the hardware - a GTX 970 will make mince meat out of R3E!

I hope the Nvidia Experience software isn't interfering with R3E's settings. Doesn't that software have a 'set and forget' optimised mode? I too have an Nvidia GPU however I don't use their experience software - just the GPU driver and Physx and thus I have zero experience with the software. I do know Sector3 and Nvidia have worked on optimising the drivers for R3E (and ATI haven't!).

I've asked the dev's about this on the internal forum as a quick search didn't give me much info.

The basic questions:
Have you verified the game's cache?
You aren't using any anti-aliasing injecting software such as Sweet-FX? (I didn once for R3E and if screwed with the smoke effects)

Patrick S.

Banned
This is really odd. No problems with the hardware - a GTX 970 will make mince meat out of R3E!

I hope the Nvidia Experience software isn't interfering with R3E's settings. Doesn't that software have a 'set and forget' optimised mode? I too have an Nvidia GPU however I don't use their experience software - just the GPU driver and Physx and thus I have zero experience with the software. I do know Sector3 and Nvidia have worked on optimising the drivers for R3E (and ATI haven't!).

I've asked the dev's about this on the internal forum as a quick search didn't give me much info.

The basic questions:
Have you verified the game's cache?
You aren't using any anti-aliasing injecting software such as Sweet-FX? (I didn once for R3E and if screwed with the smoke effects)

The nvidia experience software doesn't even list Raceroom as available game, and AFAIK it doesn't do anything system wide, it only applies manual settings you make or presets found in its online database to games you select.

I haven't verified the game's cache as I've installed the game just yesterday, and I didn't have any errors while installing.

I also haven't installed anything like Sweet-FX or Rivatuner etc.

It's really baffling.

Ok, after procrastinating for far too long I've gone for tier 5 ($75) of Reiza's crowdfunding campaign. Sincerely hope they reach their goal, they've done right by me in the past. They are one dev team that really deserve it for going above and beyond with their constant free updates.

Patrick S.

Banned
Are you using Windows 10? If so you need to change the refresh rate to 59.

Damn, got my hopes up for a second :)

I am indeed using Windows 10. I've set the refresh rate to 59 in Windows properties (and then also in the config file) but I still get the same results as before; file error if I set it to write protected, and overriden settings with or without write protection on the file :(

I want to give Simbin some money, but not like this :(

Patrick S.

Banned
I tried, doesn't work :(

I'm very grateful for your help, but I'm going to give up on this for now.

Will try after Windows 10 is out officially, or after a new nvida driver comes out or Simbin puts out an update.

TJP

I tried, doesn't work :(

I'm very grateful for your help, but I'm going to give up on this for now.
Damn it. I'm on my mobile phone (much to my partner's dismay) so I won't be able to assist any further.

You're the first person this fix didn't work for which sucks. If anything else is mentioned that fixes this, I'll post it here.

Cheers.

Patrick S.

Banned
Damn it. I'm on my mobile phone (much to my partner's dismay) so I won't be able to assist any further.

You're the first person this fix didn't work for which sucks. If anything else is mentioned that fixes this, I'll post it here.

Cheers.

Thanks again ;)

Man, I'm getting so tired of trying sim racers with a pad. How in the world do other people do it? I'm using a pretty typical pad layout with PCars but any time I'm in a car that has a tendency towards oversteer I'm fighting a losing battle just to keep the car on the road. My problem is that darty cars take a lot of minor-to-major steering corrections while cornering and the in-game wheel doesn't respond near fast enough to pad inputs for countersteer. But if I make the in-game wheel react faster (remove smoothing, basically), it makes the car far too darty during normal steering.

So either I can control the car properly during 90% of corners and lose it when I tip over the edge of oversteer or I can't control the car properly during 90% of corners but can catch massive oversteer. Frustrating.

I had the same problem with GT5/6 when driving the RUF BTR. Most of the time it was great, but any major oversteer and fuck it, it's gone, can't countersteer fast enough.

Man, I'm getting so tired of trying sim racers with a pad. How in the world do other people do it? I'm using a pretty typical pad layout with PCars but any time I'm in a car that has a tendency towards oversteer I'm fighting a losing battle just to keep the car on the road. My problem is that darty cars take a lot of minor-to-major steering corrections while cornering and the in-game wheel doesn't respond near fast enough to pad inputs for countersteer. But if I make the in-game wheel react faster (remove smoothing, basically), it makes the car far too darty during normal steering.

So either I can control the car properly during 90% of corners and lose it when I tip over the edge of oversteer or I can't control the car properly during 90% of corners but can catch massive oversteer. Frustrating.

I had the same problem with GT5/6 when driving the RUF BTR. Most of the time it was great, but any major oversteer and fuck it, it's gone, can't countersteer fast enough.
In theory you should be able to countersteer faster with a gamepad than with a wheel - full lock is about a centimetre away. But the combination of a 'darty' car and massive oversteer is difficult with any controller - best to avoid that situation entirely.

Often with a gamepad it's a case of too much steering input, as the range from lock to lock is so small - it's all too easy to over-correct multiple times. The smoothing reduces the chances of this, at the expense of slow response when you really do need to react quickly. I guess you either have to drive perfectly and never create a horrible oversteer situation with smoothing on, or you disable smoothing and develop incredible thumb control where you never over-correct.

In theory you should be able to countersteer faster with a gamepad than with a wheel - full lock is about a centimetre away. But the combination of a 'darty' car and massive oversteer is difficult with any controller - best to avoid that situation entirely.

Often with a gamepad it's a case of too much steering input, as the range from lock to lock is so small - it's all too easy to over-correct multiple times. The smoothing reduces the chances of this, at the expense of slow response when you really do need to react quickly. I guess you either have to drive perfectly and never create a horrible oversteer situation with smoothing on, or you disable smoothing and develop incredible thumb control where you never over-correct.

Exactly! Oversteer correction requires snap countersteer with an immediate return to cornering steering. If you have smoothing engaged your steering inputs will lag way too far behind to properly counter. Then I tend to hold the countersteer too long because I'm still waiting for the smoothing to catch up with what I need.

I guess I just need to develop that perfect thumb, like you said, if I ever want to deal with it. I could say I could drive perfectly and not run into big oversteers, but it's frustrating as hell losing a perfect race 10 laps in because I pushed it just a hair too far trail-braking and couldn't recover.

I can do this in real life but not in video games, and that bothers me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7IIZGcGXmE&feature=youtu.be&t=680

I just need to quit bitching and get a good wheel and sturdy table.

A trick I would always use when I was relegated to playing a racing game with analog sticks, is hold your left stick all the way up, then rotate the stick against the outer limits. This way you are making and arc with your movements, and not just constantly flicking back to center. For me this allowed smaller adjustments and felt a little more like how you would be turning a wheel slowly instead of twitch movements and an auto centering analog stick.

Zeth

Pretty sure they were auto everything sequentials. Turn off auto-clutch, and you shouldn't have to do anything but bang gears.

They were using stick sequential shifters for a while. Pretty sure they switched to paddles the last couple of years.

Cool thank you. Was just curious. I'm really having a hard time with these things. I was convinced it was the default setup, but I've found very little setup talk around the web about them. So I think I just need keep at it and figure out how to go fast in them.

rtGumog.gif

https://youtu.be/nZR2YRpTAp4

Indiegogo update

Reiza said:
A demonstration of some neat stuff we have been working on - tire dirt pick-up from running off track & flatspotting. Here you can see how these will cause visible damage to the tires and notice the actual physical effect of this damage, as the flatspots provokes some violent vibration down the straights.

The depth of the flatspot on the tire is a function of the tire softness, load as well as how long it dragged along the road during the wheel lock-up. The tire will then round up again and the ride smooth out, as the rubber around the flatspot gradually wears off.

These functionalities are currently implemented externally and only for the player´s car - one of our goals with the campaign is to fully integrate them into the codebase for AI & multiplayer to bring the dynamics of tire management & behavior to another, far more realistic level.

AxeMan

Does anyone have an rseat?

I'm interested in it but they've recently up'ed their prices (or adjusted them for exchange rates) and it's no longer feasible for me to import it as I'll have to pay tax on it.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket seat that'll fit?
Their site says maximum of 450mm but I'm having trouble finding something that'll fit

Sickbean

So what's the deal between Pretend Race Cars and Project Cars? I know the game has its issues, but anyone would think it personally killed babies judging from that site.

LilJoka

So what's the deal between Pretend Race Cars and Project Cars? I know the game has its issues, but anyone would think it personally killed babies judging from that site.

They are just being vocal about it, just as they are about F1 2015, and a recent post about Assetto Corsas lack of features.

There's too much bum licking in the sim community. Not enough Arkham Knight backlash to get devs to release better QAd games.

Zeknurn

By sim racing law you need to align yourself with a single specific sim and then fight the war against any other pretenders.

_machine

By sim racing law you need to align yourself with a single specific sim and then fight the war against any other pretenders.
Oh dear, I might've done it all wrong then. Burn the heretics!

On-topic though, anyone had issues with G25/G27 no longer calibrating? I had the FFB cut off completely during some drifting practice and it no longer calibrates so it's effectively broken. I haven't been able to take it apart yet due to lack of tools, but it might help if anyone here has dealt with shorted motors or broken calibration discs. It could be the DC adapter, but I have no other 24V adapter to try it. Sucks since I barely got under 10hrs in with the wheel.

Spookie

They are just being vocal about it, just as they are about F1 2015, and a recent post about Assetto Corsas lack of features.

Basically this: they are the 4chan of Sim Racing, sometimes on the mark but incredibly vitriolic. Also people don't like being told their fave sim is a bit shit everyone starts acting like a Destiny owner.

TJP

Personally I like the website because they are often right about many aspects of all the sims.

Do PRC have a pathological dislke of Project CARS? I don't know or care. SMS deserve to have been taken to task about the amount of issues their sim had at launch as its been an issue with all of their releases. Ian Bell has hardly helped his company with his conduct at times giving PRC more ammunition too. Can anyone name another head of a studio who has acted in the same manner?

PRC also rip Sector3 for their shite pricing model, they criticise Kunos for Assetto Corsa's crap AI and the stupid online booking system and only recently have PRC had anything nice to say about rF2. Anyone complain about these articles? Of course not.

I'll agree that PRC isn't for everyone.

Branson

Man PRC really blew up the past couple of months lol. Ive been reading it for about 3 and like the guys articles for the most part.

markao

PCARS fanboy´s want that site banned from the orbit because #lies, those that dislike SMS-PCARS think it is some oracle telling the #truthfacts and most probably see it for what it mostly is, few middle aged guys with some serious issues and to much free time on their hands.

Shaneus

Honestly, I'm just happy there's something (anything) that can post negatively about products in the PC sim market. Almost always it's just people grateful people are releasing anything catering to the enthusiasts that it's easy to not see the bigger picture. They might overstate a number of things, but at least I can carry those into a product and judge for myself rather than set myself up for disappointment.

TJP

If Reiza don't reach their crowdfunding goal, do we still get the perks associated with the level of our contribution?
Indeed you do. One can read all of Reiza's Q&A's here: http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...aign-live-now-ask-your-questions-here.107775/

Reiza Studios said:
All perks are secured irrespective of goal being reached or not - the goal needs to be reached for the plan covering the current sims to be developed in its entirety.

Branson

God damn. Reiza are so great. They are literally wizards with that engine. It really is a shame its not very popular. Its top 3 in the world right now sim wise, but it gets knocked down because of terrible popular games like F1 2015 and the like. Reiza deserve all of the funding.

Top Bottom