• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Mascot

Cross posting this from the Elite Dangerous thread because it applies here too:

Brilliant - many thanks. Looking forward to hearing how well it performs.
I can't believe the price that Gamer 2's are going for, or how rare they are to find for sale.

Krejlooc

Banned
I can't believe the price that Gamer 2's are going for, or how rare they are to find for sale.

While looking for info on the Gamer 2, I saw a post from like mid 2012 asking if anybody had found any in stock. So they might have been out of stock for even longer than I thought.

I'd always been vaguely aware of transducers, but being into VR and getting Assetto Corsa and Elite Dangerous really made me realize that I'd be in the market for one. I'm really excited to try this out. I remember the day I came home with Starfox 64 and the rumble pack. I've been a fan of haptic feedback ever since, so this has me all worked up.

EDIT: Actually went through and did it, bought an actual car seat to mod:

ABBtWuj.jpg

kafiend

£195.55 on ebay UK. I remember looking at getting a setup a few months ago and it did seem like a far better option to build several of your own out of parts than pay a similar price for a single buttkicker. You will probably find it cheaper to look for stuff in Speakers/subwoofer sections.

Derp

Anyone from GAF used or own a Logitech G27 Racing Wheel? It's apparently very popular... And expensive... So I'm trying to figure out why. Thinking of buying one.

Krejlooc

Banned
What kind of effects get passed to the shaker, rumble strips and collisions?

Anything low bass. So mainly the engine rumble as I understand it. It's supposed to have enough fidelity to let you feel when it's appropriate to shift gears, at least.

Anyone from GAF used or own a Logitech G27 Racing Wheel? It's apparently very popular... And expensive... So I'm trying to figure out why. Thinking of buying one.

I had a G25 prior to getting a G27. The G27 is such a huge step up in every way, I can't recommend it enough. I know there are much better wheels out there, but the G27 feels like the cheapest "serious" wheel I've tried (cheap as in low price, not low quality). The G27 is way, way quieter than my G25, I'd recommend a G27 over the G25 for the reduced noise alone. Plus I like the feeling of the clutch and the h-shifter.

It's popular because it's relatively inexpensive for the features on offer. The DFGT is a good entry-level wheel for sims, but the pedals are less than ideal. The G27 is the next step up, and is a big improvement particularly with the pedals. They have proven to be reliable/durable, and Logitech have good customer service. The popularity means there are many mods available, and lots of documentation on how to fix stuff, etc.

kafiend

Anything low bass. So mainly the engine rumble as I understand it. It's supposed to have enough fidelity to let you feel when it's appropriate to shift gears, at least.

You can also use software such as Simvibe which uses a 2nd sound card going out to the transducers. You use it to set up 4 corner transducers to simulate each wheel or front/back etc. Here's the Inside Sim Racing review of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs1CslGfFCg

SImVibe-Basic-Illustration-Greyscale.png

Have you tried to use a X360 pad? I honestly think that Codemasters's games are meant to be played with a pad, not with a wheel. I haven't tried F1 2013 with my wheel, but F1 2012 felt really weird with it, whilst with a pad I can play perfectly fine.

I have, and while I definitely do better with a pad I can't decide if that's because I'm just used to a pad or some problem with the game itself. A cursory google search revealed people complaining of a similar problem, so many it's actually on Codemaster's end.

Megasoum

Banned
https://www.facebook.com/ThrustmasterXTeam/posts/727429083984264

Find here more technical specification about the TH8A!
- Available end of August 2014 at 149.99€/$149.99 -
TH8A: Realistic, high-end multiplatform shifter* for PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox One
Realism and authenticity:
# Stick/gear shift knob: 13 cm tall
# Realistic gear shifting feel
# Detachable gear shift knob
# Compatible with genuine universal gear shift knobs available in car tuning shops
# 2 shift plates included: H-pattern (7+1) and Sequential (+/-)
Sturdiness and precision:
# 100% metal internal mechanism
# 100% metal stick
# 100% metal clamping system
# H.E.A.R.T HallEffect AccuRate Technology™
- Precision that won’t decrease over time (contactless magnetic sensor)
- No tact switch or potentiometer (for an unlimited product lifespan)
Adaptability and comfort:
# Upgradable firmware, and internal memory with gear shift travel adjustable to your preferences (software available for download on PC)
# Adjustable gear shift resistance
# Shift plates’ position and rotation can be adjusted by 360°
# Clamping system’s position and rotation can be adjusted by 360°
# Optimized mounting for any type of support
- Tables or shelves from 1 to 55 mm in thickness
- Cockpits (built-in screw threads + removable clamping system)
Versatility:
# Unique design* for 2 different driving styles
- H-pattern (7+1) style
- Sequential (+/-) style
# USB and/or DIN connectivity
- On PC: works with all wheels on the market
- On PS3™ and PS4™: works with T500 RS, T300 RS & T300 Ferrari GTE wheels.
- On Xbox One: works with the TX Racing Wheel
* Patent pending

Arucardo

Interesting, might eventually change from the PWTS to a TX. I'd have to get a PS4 or a Xbone first though :p . I'd have to buy an adapter to get the CSR Elite pedals and the TH8RS to work on it too. There's no adapter for the TH8RS yet but I'm sure there will be.

Megasoum

Banned
Interesting, might eventually change from the PWTS to a TX. I'd have to get a PS4 or a Xbone first though :p . I'd have to buy an adapter to get the CSR Elite pedals and the TH8RS to work on it too. There's no adapter for the TH8RS yet but I'm sure there will be.

Yeah I ordered a TX earlier this week and I don't have the XB1 yet lol... I'll enjoy it on the PC in the meantime (everybody who has had both is telling me that the FFB is superior on the TX than on the Fanatec wheels).

I also pre-ordered the CPX adapter to plug my CSP pedals in the wheel. It's one guy doing those by himself so he has limited resources and it takes a while to get them.

And yeah I don't get it for the shifter. Considering that all the rims and pedals can be mixed between the T500, TX and T300RS I wonder why the shifter is not compatible.

Apparently the shifter port is completely disabled on the current TX firmware so maybe they will finally enable it for the new shifter the TH8RS will simply work? A shifter is super simple electronic, I really don't see why it wouldn't work between wheels.

Yeah I ordered a TX earlier this week and I don't have the XB1 yet lol... I'll enjoy it on the PC in the meantime (everybody who has had both is telling me that the FFB is superior on the TX than on the Fanatec wheels).

I also pre-ordered the CPX adapter to plug my CSP pedals in the wheel. It's one guy doing those by himself so he has limited resources and it takes a while to get them.

And yeah I don't get it for the shifter. Considering that all the rims and pedals can be mixed between the T500, TX and T300RS I wonder why the shifter is not compatible.

Apparently the shifter port is completely disabled on the current TX firmware so maybe they will finally enable it for the new shifter the TH8RS will simply work? A shifter is super simple electronic, I really don't see why it wouldn't work between wheels.

TH8RS is a standalone USB only shifter, the TH8A has both the USB for PC (hopefully PS too) and DIN to connect to the TX. I dont think it's possible to go USB to PS/2 with the RS...at least I hope not after all this waiting.

I was under the impression the TH8A was going to be a lower cost option (or same price for lower quality). Wasn't it mostly plastic in the original promo shots? Whatever, this is the better way of doing it. I'll be happy to take a TH8RS on clearance if that's where it's headed.

Megasoum

Banned
TH8RS is a standalone USB only shifter, the TH8A has both the USB for PC (hopefully PS too) and DIN to connect to the TX. I dont think it's possible to go USB to PS/2 with the RS...at least I hope not after all this waiting.

Oh, didn't knew the TH8RS was only USB.... Yeah I guess you would need an adapter then.

Grumbul

Has there been any change or new releases on the PC scene in relation to a GT/Forza style game with a comprehensive career mode?

The closest I have seen is Grid Autosport as I'm assuming Assetto has no campaign mode as of yet?

I was so close to dipping on Grid and then saw the god-awful cockpit view which made me think twice.

How does Grid Autosport compare to something like GT? Less sim and more arcade or a good balance. I ask as I currently use a G27 and am seriously considering (when I finally find a decent game) upgrading my set-up and have heard Codemaster's games tend to favour joypad use over wheels.

So many great full on sim racers, but I'd love one with a career mode to chill out with when not on mp.

Oh, didn't knew the TH8RS was only USB.... Yeah I guess you would need an adapter then.

Yeah I didn't know it either, thought they connected to the wheel Fanatec style.

Talking of shifters, I've got a brand new Fanatec Porsche sequential and well used silent modded H shifter with chopsticks if anyone wants them for the cost of postage in UK.

Mascot

Yeah I didn't know it either, thought they connected to the wheel Fanatec style.

Talking of shifters, I've got a brand new Fanatec Porsche sequential and well used silent modded H shifter with chopsticks if anyone wants them for the cost of postage in UK.
I'd deffo be interested mate - my h-pattern and seq can be intermittent at times. Too much mudding!

Dilly

Banned
Has there been any change or new releases on the PC scene in relation to a GT/Forza style game with a comprehensive career mode?

The closest I have seen is Grid Autosport as I'm assuming Assetto has no campaign mode as of yet?

I was so close to dipping on Grid and then saw the god-awful cockpit view which made me think twice.

How does Grid Autosport compare to something like GT? Less sim and more arcade or a good balance. I ask as I currently use a G27 and am seriously considering (when I finally find a decent game) upgrading my set-up and have heard Codemaster's games tend to favour joypad use over wheels.

So many great full on sim racers, but I'd love one with a career mode to chill out with when not on mp.

pCARS is released in november and has a solid career compareable to Grid: Autosport.

I was under the impression the TH8A was going to be a lower cost option (or same price for lower quality). Wasn't it mostly plastic in the original promo shots? Whatever, this is the better way of doing it. I'll be happy to take a TH8RS on clearance if that's where it's headed.

Its the same damn product with few new parts, which is odd as to why they are taking so long to get it out.

But going on the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ThrustmasterXTeam?fref=ts and seeing people troll every update post is kind of fun.

Mascot

Beyond that, buttkicker isn't the only option. A poster on Reddit put together a list of parts for a kit he bought and assembled that apparently performs as well as these $300 buttkickers, only for less than $100. For those who can't be bothered to dig through the reddit thread, here's the parts list:

AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker Tactile Transducer by Aura Sound

Lepai LP-168HA 2.1 2 x 40-Watt Amplifier and 1x68W Sub Output by Lepai

12v 6a Adapter Power Supply for LCD Monitor with Power Cord by LCD AC Power Adapter

I saw some people vouching for this kit, and sent some PMs and got positive feedback, so I went ahead and ordered these parts. After shipping, the thing came out to less than $90. These parts should arrive on the 14th (!) so I'll post a quick guide on how I affix it to my chair and my impressions then.

Struggling to find equivalent parts for similar money in the UK. Any Brits here able to offer help?

Zaru

I've been trying to get back into racing sims over the summer, so I picked up Grid: Autosport and F1 2013 (I do recognize that these aren't actually sims). I'd already been messing around with Assetto Corsa as well, which I've found incredibly fun.

Anyway, Grid has been delightful as has Assetto Corsa as I previously mentioned, but I'm completely terrible at F1 2013 and I have no idea why. Does anyone have any basic suggestions about how to learn it effectively? I think my biggest problem is that I really haven't figured out how the cornering is supposed to work. Initially I tried braking early and then slowly accelerating out of the corner, but I almost always end up understeering and going off the track.

Oh, and presumably it doesn't matter but I'm using the Microsoft wheel I had from my 360 days, which admittedly isn't great but I don't want to invest in a real setup so early on.
How intensively are you using car setups when you can? They make a huge difference in the handling of the cars depending on your input device and driving style.

Mascot

So I have a TX on the way... I woke up this morning thinking about the iphone apps that are or will be available for the different games on pc and bought that. Hopefully I'll be able to fit the phone in the rim ok.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251521076088

Now I just need the actual apps! I already have one for rf2. I saw that there's one available for AC so I need to buy it. Anything available yet for pCARS?
You might need to lock the display so it doesn't keep flipping between landscape and portrait when you turn the wheel..!

Megasoum

Banned
You might need to lock the display so it doesn't keep flipping between landscape and portrait when you turn the wheel..!

Ah fuck didn't think about that. You can lock portrait, you can't lock landscape....

It can be controlled by the app tho so hopefully the apps are actually thinking about that.

Edit: Yeah I just tried the AC apps and it works perfectly.

disap.ed

4 Stars = 40% Discount!
We are all celebrating and everybody can join us.

40% Discount on all Porsche 911 GT2 racing wheels and ClubSport Base units!

Grab your special deal at www.Fanatec.com

This offer is limited for today until 24.00 German time and only if the product is in inventory or as long as it is in inventory.

Already out of stock on some continents though.

fresquito

I have a doubt I hope you can help me with. I have a DFGT and I like the wheel itelf, but pedals are crap. Not only they lack clutch, but they're bad quality in general. I'd like to upgrade them, but I don't want to spend a lot of money. I've checked second hand market, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to get second hand pedals. Then, standalone pedals seem to be very expensive.

Is there a cheap solution that is good? Do I need to invest big money for great pedals? Or maybe I should upgrde the whole wheel?

JMZ555

I picked up Assetto Corsa , just waiting on my Oculus Rift DK2 (And for it to get modded in)

Im not a big fan of Sim racing games but i recently watched the Film Rush which put me in the mood.

Assetto Corsa has been pretty cool from what i played. Im thinking of picking up a wheel and pedals, combined with DK2 should be pretty epic.

disap.ed

That's a great saving. Hopefully they're clearing shelf space for their new PS4/Bone/PC multiplat wheel!

That's what I am hoping too. great price but not in the position to buy a wheel for this price for just the PC.

According to pCARS twitter there will be a wheel announcement for PS4 and also WiiU this week, so I am looking forward to this. Can't say by which company though.

Mascot

I have a doubt I hope you can help me with. I have a DFGT and I like the wheel itelf, but pedals are crap. Not only they lack clutch, but they're bad quality in general. I'd like to upgrade them, but I don't want to spend a lot of money. I've checked second hand market, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to get second hand pedals. Then, standalone pedals seem to be very expensive.

Is there a cheap solution that is good? Do I need to invest big money for great pedals? Or maybe I should upgrde the whole wheel?

I had a G27 before I upgraded to the Fanatec GT2 and used the G27 pedals with the GT2 before upgrading to Clubsport pedals. The G27 pedals were pretty good though. At the time (this was a few years ago) there were quite a few people selling second-hand G27 pedals cheap on eBay. Not sure if this is still the case. They seemed pretty bomb-proof to me.

This is all assuming the G27 pedals work with your DFGT. I have no idea if that's the case.

TLDR: G27 pedals.

Edit: a full wheel-shifter-pedal G27 package is pretty cheap at the moment on Amazon. Take a peek.

Megasoum

Banned
The new Thrustmaster pedals will apparently be sold for 100$. Not sure if they have a USB option tho...probably not now that I think about it.

The new TM pedals are just like the T500s - a proprietary rj11 thingy.

http://youtu.be/BKmA0-9DECU?t=1m48s

You can get a Bodinhausen T500RS Pedal Adapter to go along with a Bodnar cable, but you're in it for close to the price of the pedals at that point.

If you want to use G25/27 pedals with a different wheel, you'll need a Bodnar cable anyway. $35usd+shipping, + used G2x pedals... I used that combo for a long time and liked it, but it's more expensive than it should be. You'd probably be better of hunting for some used Clubsports, or think about making the jump a whole new setup rather than building around the DFGT.

The DFGT pedals are terrible though. A nicer set will do wonders for your lap times.

TJP

Krejlooc

Banned

Krejlooc

Banned
Great - many thanks.
My current 5.1 includes an active sub driven by a Yamaha amp. Would I need a separate amp to drive a homebrew transducer, or could I split the feed that goes to the current sub?

I would expect you'd want your own amp for the transducer to really drive it harder than you might be willing to drive your sub.

Am I correct thinking the T500 doesn't come in a pedal-less version? I want to buy a new wheel, but already have Club Sport Pedals V2. Getting the whole set seems a bit of a waste.

I would consider a standalone Fanatec wheel if I didn't see so many GAFfers having reliability issues with the base unit.

Top Bottom