• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

HoosTrax

Some nice Simbin titles with huge discounts on Bundlestars: http://www.bundlestars.com/store/
I bought the collection and...I have no idea what to do with all this:

fmA20A8.png

Where am I supposed to start. Are these all separate standalone games, or content packs for the base game?

markao

fmA20A8.png

Where am I supposed to start. Are these all separate standalone games, or content packs for the base game?
- GTR 2
- GTL
- RACE WTCC game (Caterham exp)
- RACE 07 stand alone, all others are expansions for this game, if I quickly skim through them ;) (Race Injection, is most of them bundled, I think ???)

HoosTrax

- GTR 2
- GTL
- RACE WTCC game (Caterham exp)
- RACE 07 stand alone, all others are expansions for this game, if I quickly skim through them ;) (Race Injection, is most of them bundled, I think ???)
Thanks for helping me figure it all out :)

What a confusing mess -- I don't know why they don't use the DLC tab like everyone else.

Mascot

Not a fan of Facebook either (haven't used it since college). I made a fake account to get the free key.

I buckled about three seconds after making my post.

Principles are all well and good but free shit is FREE SHIT! I'm such a sell-out.

Oh well, at least I get to bone all my old girlfriends now. That's how Facebook works, yeah?

Jibbed

RACE is the best touring car game around, even now 4 years after they stopped updating the WTCC roster.

There's still a very healthy online community racing too!

Foaloal

Hi guys. I recently became interested in purchasing a racing wheel, but I'm not sure if it's a good decision for me or not. The main issue I'm concerned with is the actual set up of a racing wheel - what do I need other than the wheel/pedals (and of course my PC and a supported game)?

I have a desk with adjustable height and a flat surface that should be able to support anything that clamps, I have a fairly standard desk chair on 5 wheels with adjustable armrests/height/tilt/etc., and I have a thick carpet/rug that I can move freely to provide some grip/friction.

I intend on using the racing wheel heavily for up to 6 months, but then using it much less frequently, so the setup does not necessarily have to be perfect, just usable.

Does this sound like it is enough for a simple, if not ideal, setup or do you guys think I would most likely want to invest in a proper chair or a certain kind of desk/etc.?

I only really have a budget of $100-$300 that I'd like to spend, so if I need more than a wheel I would most likely give up on the idea unless the other things I need aren't too expensive.

Then, if my desk/carpet/chair are enough, I'm not sure what wheel to get. I need a wheel with a clutch/brake/gas pedal and a 6 gear shifter with the closest feel to a manual transmission I can get, along with a realistic wheel, and of course force feedback. I'm more concerned with how accurately the racing wheel controller simulates actual driving than I am with whether or not the wheel will allow me to win races.
So I figure (with my very limited knowledge in this area) that something like the G27 is probably a good starting place, but I'm not sure if there might be a better option since I only intend on using the wheel heavily for up to 6 months.

I'm sorry if this isn't really the right place to ask, and thanks in advance if anybody has any input for me.

Mascot

fmA20A8.png

OK, I sold my soul to satan and did the Facebook thing, so I now have The Race Room Experience, GTR Evolution and Race '07.
Is the Bundlestars deal worth doing as well? I'm still not sure how they all link together (or not).

Hi guys. I recently became interested in purchasing a racing wheel, but I'm not sure if it's a good decision for me or not. The main issue I'm concerned with is the actual set up of a racing wheel - what do I need other than the wheel/pedals (and of course my PC and a supported game)?

I have a desk with adjustable height and a flat surface that should be able to support anything that clamps, I have a fairly standard desk chair on 5 wheels with adjustable armrests/height/tilt/etc., and I have a thick carpet/rug that I can move freely to provide some grip/friction.

I intend on using the racing wheel heavily for up to 6 months, but then using it much less frequently, so the setup does not necessarily have to be perfect, just usable.

Does this sound like it is enough for a simple, if not ideal, setup or do you guys think I would most likely want to invest in a proper chair or a certain kind of desk/etc.?

I only really have a budget of $100-$300 that I'd like to spend, so if I need more than a wheel I would most likely give up on the idea unless the other things I need aren't too expensive.

Then, if my desk/carpet/chair are enough, I'm not sure what wheel to get. I need a wheel with a clutch/brake/gas pedal and a 6 gear shifter with the closest feel to a manual transmission I can get, along with a realistic wheel, and of course force feedback. I'm more concerned with how accurately the racing wheel controller simulates actual driving than I am with whether or not the wheel will allow me to win races.
So I figure (with my very limited knowledge in this area) that something like the G27 is probably a good starting place, but I'm not sure if there might be a better option since I only intend on using the wheel heavily for up to 6 months.

I'm sorry if this isn't really the right place to ask, and thanks in advance if anybody has any input for me.

G27 has a decent enough table clamp and the pedals don't require a lot of pressure to operate but you'd need to spend more, far more to get a realistic brake and clutch, CSP V2 at the low end to a full on hydraulic setup.

If you already drive it doesn't take long to adjust but if you are thinking of using it to learn a manual car or something you may get into some bad habits.

Arucardo

G27 has a decent enough table clamp and the pedals don't require a lot of pressure to operate but you'd need to spend more, far more to get a realistic brake and clutch, CSP V2 at the low end to a full on hydraulic setup.

If you already drive it doesn't take long to adjust but if you are thinking of using it to learn a manual car or something you may get into some bad habits.

The CSR Elite's are also worth considering, they're a 100 euros cheaper than the CSP V2 and have a load cell brake. Been using CSR Elite's myself since they came out and I'm really pleased with them.

DD

OK, I sold my soul to satan and did the Facebook thing, so I now have The Race Room Experience, GTR Evolution and Race '07.
Is the Bundlestars deal worth doing as well? I'm still not sure how they all link together (or not).

It's basically a thousand expansions for the same game: Race 07. You'll find It all together there, like all cars, tracks, all inside Race 07...

Mascot

It's basically a thousand expansions for the same game: Race 07. You'll find It all together there, like all cars, tracks, all inside Race 07...

Thanks, but I'm still not quite sure what you mean. If I buy them all, I access them through Race 07? Or do they execute independently?

And are there any duplications in there (ie don't bother buying X if you own Y, as X is already part of Y etc).

Sorry for the questions but they don't exactly make it clear.

Edit: eg with Race Injection (from the blurb):

About the Game

RACE Injection is the final chapter in the RACE 07 series of games, ending the award winning series on a high note.

RACE Injection contains 23 new unique car models and boasts 9 new tracks from across the globe. RACE Injection collects the most requested content in five distinct classes: Formula RaceRoom class, GT Power class, Retro – historic class and the official STCC and WTCC 2010 classes.

This full retail game which includes all that’s needed to get racing in anything from cool historic cars to the latest high-tech GT powerhouses, WTCC racers and even top of the line Formula cars. Injection is the full impact package that has it all.

"Injection is the full impact package that has it all" suggests all Race '07 DLC is included. Is that really the case? If so, why bother with any of the others?

HoosTrax

Thanks, but I'm still not quite sure what you mean. If I buy them all, I access them through Race 07? Or do they execute independently?

And are there any duplications in there (ie don't bother buying X if you own Y, as X is already part of Y etc).

Sorry for the questions but they don't exactly make it clear.

Edit: eg with Race Injection (from the blurb):

About the Game

RACE Injection is the final chapter in the RACE 07 series of games, ending the award winning series on a high note.

RACE Injection contains 23 new unique car models and boasts 9 new tracks from across the globe. RACE Injection collects the most requested content in five distinct classes: Formula RaceRoom class, GT Power class, Retro – historic class and the official STCC and WTCC 2010 classes.

This full retail game which includes all that’s needed to get racing in anything from cool historic cars to the latest high-tech GT powerhouses, WTCC racers and even top of the line Formula cars. Injection is the full impact package that has it all.

"Injection is the full impact package that has it all" suggests all Race '07 DLC is included. Is that really the case? If so, why bother with any of the others?

From the Steam description:
RACE Injection Includes 6 items: RACE 07, STCC The Game 2, Formula RaceRoom, GT Power Expansion, Retro Pack, WTCC 2010 Pack

Basically, I think getting the free key, plus the 4 titles on sale on Bunglestars, will get you the complete simbin stuff available on Steam with the exception of the free track (you have to manually add it yourself), the first GTR game, and IAP stuff for RaceRoom.

Mascot

Basically, I think getting the free key, plus the 4 titles on sale on Bunglestars, will get you the complete simbin stuff available on Steam with the exception of the free track (you have to manually add it yourself), the first GTR game, and IAP stuff for RaceRoom.

Ah, thanks. For less than a fiver it's probably worth a punt. I had a quick go on GTR Evolution last night and even my creaky old Vaio was chucking out a constant 60fps with good levels of detail and IQ.

Tried very quick GTR Evolution, and I have one question:

What's the difference between the regular Puebla track and the "Special" layout?

Foaloal

Thanks a lot for the info. I was indeed thinking it would be an easy and fun way to learn or at least practice manual transmission, plus I'm sure it would be a fun experience to play racing games with something more immersive than a controller and I'm sure if I really wanted to I could sell the used wheel/pedals when I'm done with them for a decent price, so it doesn't seem like a big risk to take in buying an entry levelish set up.

The CSR Elite's are also worth considering, they're a 100 euros cheaper than the CSP V2 and have a load cell brake. Been using CSR Elite's myself since they came out and I'm really pleased with them.

The price doesn't seem too bad on these pedals, though it's a bit more than I'm looking to spend right now. But it seems like I could easily upgrade to a set down the line if I wanted, although it would only be compatible with non fanatec wheels in certain games. So thanks for the recommendations guys, these seem like solid pedals (literally and figuratively).

Mascot

Need advice on Race 07 and it's many add-ons: I'm having to recalibrate my CSPs every time I play, and even then the throttle sticks or the brake locks on, or the brake is reversed. It's driving me mad.

Seems I have to recalibrate the pedals every time on Assetto Corsa too.

I save the profiles on both games each time as well.

Tonight I bought the DW12 with it's newly released road course aero config, and wow, what a car. This thing is such a weapon! It's surprisingly forgiving and easy to drive. It's just that it's absolutely telepathic in it's ability. The sense of downforce coming on and off is pretty remarkable. This is actually my first high downforce car I've purchased from iRacing, so I'm not sure if they're all like this, but it's pretty wicked.

I must have done 50 laps of Mosport. I couldn't stop myself, too much fun. You're really hauling the mail around that place. You're never out of the gas for long. Looking forward to racing it.

xxzzoooo5exs8.gif

Krejlooc

Banned
ok ok, this is incredible. So there is a club in Houston where me and some guys run our Oculus Rift developers meetings out of called TX/RX. It's a giant warehouse/labratory that is filled with tools and equipment that is basically an engineers wet dream. A fleet of hundreds of 3D printers, welders, laser and water cutters, metal benders, etc. Basically, any sort of ultra expensive, high grade equipment you need to make virtually anything you can think of, it exists there. If you are a member, you can use all this equipment 24/7, and they offer classes to teach you how to use this stuff, and the membership is so big and diverse that you can always find people willing to help you on a project.

So, because we just moved our club to this place for our meetings, we were conversing with their president and he was showing us the ins and outs of the space, when I spotted something mindblowing in the distance at one guy's station:

Untitled.png

That's a G27 and a racing seat attached to a metal frame they've created. Neat, but what's amazing is the seat has hydraulic lifts attached to it powered by XSim. It's a full motion seat. I asked the dude how much it cost to build - next to nothing if I have the seat and wheel already. I asked how much time it takes to build - apparently they built it during the welding class in 1 day, it's a snap. I asked if he could help me do it, and he said it wouldn't be a problem.

So my transducer seat has now become a full motion rig. I am fucking hyped out of my mind.

Hopefully its not powered via that car battery :p

But that's very cool. The idea of a motion rig has always been fascinating to me.

Playseat was showing a motion rig at E3 that is supposed to be sub $2k and work with pc/consoles.

Krejlooc

Banned
Hopefully its not powered via that car battery :p

But that's very cool. The idea of a motion rig has always been fascinating to me.

Playseat was showing a motion rig at E3 that is supposed to be sub $2k and work with pc/consoles.

It apparently was powered by the car battery at one point! The guy is in the middle of building a normal AC power supply for the thing.

What I'm most excited about is someone walking me through the welding and metal cutting of the thing. I haven't done metal work like that in about 15 years.

It apparently was powered by the car battery at one point! The guy is in the middle of building a normal AC power supply for the thing.

What I'm most excited about is someone walking me through the welding and metal cutting of the thing. I haven't done metal work like that in about 15 years.

What's the weight like. Seems like its about 6ft long, would be a pain to move around if it was heavy on top of that.

Krejlooc

Banned
What's the weight like. Seems like its about 6ft long, would be a pain to move around if it was heavy on top of that.

I didn't try to move it, so I'm not sure. For one, I'm not building the entire frame - my G27 wheel is on a wheel stand pro (and I have a Saitek flight stick on another wheel stand pro - a conscious decision so I can swap them out modularly with the seat). Rather, I'm only building the motion seat. I have a Ford Cobra seat that I'm building this out of, it's not very heavy at all. Maybe 30 lbs total? I really suck at gauging weight, but it's no problem to lift with one hand. Obviously the steel that the seat will sit on will weigh a bit more, though.

I didn't try to move it, so I'm not sure. For one, I'm not building the entire frame - my G27 wheel is on a wheel stand pro (and I have a Saitek flight stick on another wheel stand pro - a conscious decision so I can swap them out modularly with the seat). Rather, I'm only building the motion seat. I have a Ford Cobra seat that I'm building this out of, it's not very heavy at all. Maybe 30 lbs total? I really suck at gauging weight, but it's no problem to lift with one hand. Obviously the steel that the seat will sit on will weigh a bit more, though.

I see.

Looking at the picture just made me think, about someone trying to get it up a flight of steps.

Part of the reason I used a wheel stand until I bought my Fanatc CSL seat was the size and weight of having a rig.
The CSL seat was the ideal solution, it weighs next to nothing and is stable as hell. Only negatives are the lack of lumbar support(added a pillow) and that the instructions it comes with are the most vague and confusing thing I have ever tried to decipher.

Mascot

I'm not familiar with Fanatec products, but that doesn't sound right. Does it help to max out all axes before loading a game?

No, not really. What's weird is sometimes when I start Race 07 the brake (or sometimes the throttle) is fully activated without the pedal being pressed, and pressing the pedal progressively releases the brake (or throttle). It's like the controls are reversed or something. It's annoying that I can somehow eventually get it all to work fine, and save the controller profile, but loading that profile next time doesn't work and I have to start all over again. Seems I have to recalibrate the pedals every time I play Assetto Corsa as well. Again, the saved controller profile doesn't set things up as they were previously.

Race Room Experience wouldn't even recognise my CSPs at all, it said they were missing. Had to double-click the acc, brake and clutch and map them from scratch, and then they work fine. But again, need setting up again next time I play.

Something ain't right. Hopefully something simple.

Should I be loading the game a different way, ie not through Steam but through some other (Logitech?) launcher? I'm new to this PC malarky so need really basic advice here. Been spoiled by faff-free plug 'n' play console seamlessness up until now. Save me from going back there, people!

Hopefully someone can help you Mascot as it's not an issue I've ever encountered using my G27. Hopefully this thread: http://f-wheel.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0 helps!

Thanks, I thought there would be something on the Fanatec forums but couldn't find anything useful. I'll try those settings once I solve the problem though. I've never updated the firmware (never had a need to) so I'll try that next.

Need to sort this out though because if it's an indication of the kind of ongoing ball-ache that PC gaming has in store for me then it'll give me serious pause for thought before jumping in with both feet and an empty wallet.

The CSL seat was the ideal solution, it weighs next to nothing and is stable as hell. Only negatives are the lack of lumbar support(added a pillow) and that the instructions it comes with are the most vague and confusing thing I have ever tried to decipher.

I have to do this with my Playseat. It's a shame because it effectively shortens the seat, so support under my thighs isn't as good. It needs a pop-out seat extender like in my E92.

Mascot

ok ok, this is incredible. So there is a club in Houston where me and some guys run our Oculus Rift developers meetings out of called TX/RX. It's a giant warehouse/labratory that is filled with tools and equipment that is basically an engineers wet dream. A fleet of hundreds of 3D printers, welders, laser and water cutters, metal benders, etc. Basically, any sort of ultra expensive, high grade equipment you need to make virtually anything you can think of, it exists there. If you are a member, you can use all this equipment 24/7, and they offer classes to teach you how to use this stuff, and the membership is so big and diverse that you can always find people willing to help you on a project.

So, because we just moved our club to this place for our meetings, we were conversing with their president and he was showing us the ins and outs of the space, when I spotted something mindblowing in the distance at one guy's station:

Untitled.png

That's a G27 and a racing seat attached to a metal frame they've created. Neat, but what's amazing is the seat has hydraulic lifts attached to it powered by XSim. It's a full motion seat. I asked the dude how much it cost to build - next to nothing if I have the seat and wheel already. I asked how much time it takes to build - apparently they built it during the welding class in 1 day, it's a snap. I asked if he could help me do it, and he said it wouldn't be a problem.

So my transducer seat has now become a full motion rig. I am fucking hyped out of my mind.

That's utterly awesome. Hope all that dust doesn't kill his wheels and pedals though..! When doing my 3D design degree the department had just moved into a huge state-of-the-art facility with every machine you could imagine: CNC and manual lathes and milling machines, every type of cutting, welding, drilling, bending, folding grinding and finishing equipment, a shot-blasting booth, a sand-blasting booth, waterfall spray booths and powder-coating booths, every hand tool you could think of and a large stores full of free metal stock, fixings, spares and consumables. And ditto for all things woodworking. Plus teams of technicians on hand to give full training and assistance.

Man, I would absolutely kill to have access to that kind of facility right now. It was wasted on us students who were more interested in getting wasted and sexing females, and only doing what was necessary to get through our degrees. When I moved elsewhere to do my Masters in industrial design the facilities were awful by comparison.

Good luck with the motion rig, Krejlooc. Keep us updated with regular progress reports.
I've mentioned it before but take a trawl through The Way I Play before you plan the project for some good ideas and inspiration.

Edit: Shit, DP, Sorry.

I have to do this with my Playseat. It's a shame because it effectively shortens the seat, so support under my thighs isn't as good. It needs a pop-out seat extender like in my E92.

Not a issue on my end, because the bottomless pit that is the lower part of the CSL seat defies all reason. I was only able to play for short periods until I added a throw pillow from my sofa to the equation.

bee

Tonight I bought the DW12 with it's newly released road course aero config, and wow, what a car. This thing is such a weapon! It's surprisingly forgiving and easy to drive. It's just that it's absolutely telepathic in it's ability. The sense of downforce coming on and off is pretty remarkable. This is actually my first high downforce car I've purchased from iRacing, so I'm not sure if they're all like this, but it's pretty wicked.

I must have done 50 laps of Mosport. I couldn't stop myself, too much fun. You're really hauling the mail around that place. You're never out of the gas for long. Looking forward to racing it.

not got the dw12 but i did get donnington which is a great track, suits quite a few classes of car

dunno what you think of the new build? i was a little concerned when reading the release notes, seemed a rather weak update. having played it for a few days though it's actually the best update in quite some time, the physics/tyre model updates have brought iracing back into the top tier of sims again, really really nice improvement

Mascot

I think I've sorted out the wheel/pedal issue with Race '07.
Seems I need to make sure the wheel is on and in PC mode before launching the game. Doing it afterwards and even reloading the controller profile seems to cause issues.

Phew.

Now to crack AC. Hopefully it's a similar issue.

Is it worth updating the firmware on the Fanatec GT2?

not got the dw12 but i did get donnington which is a great track, suits quite a few classes of car

dunno what you think of the new build? i was a little concerned when reading the release notes, seemed a rather weak update. having played it for a few days though it's actually the best update in quite some time, the physics/tyre model updates have brought iracing back into the top tier of sims again, really really nice improvement

Yeah, I picked up Donnington too. It's such a versatile track. You can run basically anything on it, and never feel like it's the wrong size for what you're drivng. Hopefully it'll remain in rotation on a bunch of different schedules.

The new build is a little thin on features, but as you say, the tire model continues to out-do itself every build as far as feel goes. They have really dialed in a terrificly weighty feel, and much more progressive slide. I only got to try out the Mac and the L49, but both felt better than ever, especially the former. I've heard that the MX5 has shown massive improvement. I'm looking forward to trying it because it's always been one of my least favorite cars physics-wise.

Pazuzu, how did the Skippy turn out with the new build?

This is actually my first high downforce car I've purchased from iRacing, so I'm not sure if they're all like this, but it's pretty wicked.
All the cars on iRacing feel like they are high downforce at the moment. >_<

I think I've sorted out the wheel/pedal issue with Race '07.
Seems I need to make sure the wheel is on and in PC mode before launching the game. Doing it afterwards and even reloading the controller profile seems to cause issues.

Phew.

Now to crack AC. Hopefully it's a similar issue.

Is it worth updating the firmware on the Fanatec GT2?
Ah right. I think that is the done thing, for all controllers really. I've certainly made a habit of it.

Pazuzu, how did the Skippy turn out with the new build?
It's ok, not overly impressed. The balance is different, seems to be more front end grip at high speed, yet it feels understeery on the slower corners. This is a characteristic that seems to apply across all the cars I've tried on iRacing now, so it's obviously the tyre changes that have caused this. It's not a drastic change however, just requires me to adjust my driving style a bit.

It's ok, not overly impressed. The balance is different, seems to be more front end grip at high speed, yet it feels understeery on the slower corners. This is a characteristic that seems to apply across all the cars I've tried on iRacing now, so it's obviously the tyre changes that have caused this. It's not a drastic change however, just requires me to adjust my driving style a bit.

Yeah, looking around I see that maybe some cars made out better than others. The cars I tried would naturally fit the description you gave, so I assumed things were cool. I'll try some different ones later to try and get a more complete picture.

Mascot

Ah right. I think that is the done thing, for all controllers really. I've certainly made a habit of it.

Yep. Worked with AC too. I am one happy bunny.

Man, I am loving Race 07 in its many incarnations. 60 fps on max settings and a full grid on my clockwork laptop. Awesome physics, fantastic buttkicker-friendly audio, and billions of tracks. This will keep me going for quite some time.

Yeah, looking around I see that maybe some cars made out better than others. The cars I tried would naturally fit the description you gave, so I assumed things were cool. I'll try some different ones later to try and get a more complete picture.
The Lotus 49 is the most ridiculous, it currently has even more grip than the one in AC. Full throttle everywhere! However, I believe they are aware and making some adjustments on Monday.

Star Mazda is a big improvement, it's no longer the silly drift monster it became when they gave it NTMv5 last season. SRF is also better, back to having a more scary rear, which is nice.

The best thing to come from this tyre update? The Ruf RWD is now actually driveable. Great fun!

I just bought the Lotus 79. Only had a very brief blast but it seems very promising.

Supposedly the 12C GT3 is now competitive, so I'm tempted to give the GT3 series a go this time. However it doesn't feel as nice to me as it did last season, which is why I became interested in participating in the first place...

Top Bottom