• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Are there any good graphics mods for GTR-2? The flat lighting really kind of ruins the game's look, so anything that improves lighting would be fantastic..

Soi-Fong

Does Project Cars support Oculus Rift? Just wondering since I have it uninstalled right now on Steam, but wondering for when DK2 comes in next month.

Also since I'm planning on upgrading to a 780 Ti within two weeks.

PriitV

Does Project Cars support Oculus Rift? Just wondering since I have it uninstalled right now on Steam, but wondering for when DK2 comes in next month.

Also since I'm planning on upgrading to a 780 Ti within two weeks.
OR support is in, but the implementation is far from finished atm.

Juicy Bob

Holy shit, Race 07's corner cutting rules are strict!

Just got a Stop-Go half way through a 60 minute GT race because I ran wide in Ascari and got done for corner cutting.

If you go all four wheels off the track at the kerbs on entry, fair enough. But if you hit the apex too quick, run wide at the right-hander, hit the gravel and still get pipped for corner cutting? That's a bit harsh.

Maybe I just need to get better...

After not playing for an eternity, RaceRoom sent me 800 free points, nice. However, even though the game is supposedly running at 130fps, it feels like 45. Anyone know why that might be?

rF2 has a similar problem, but setting the frame-limit to 70 seems to fix it. I can't seem to find any frame-limit option in RaceRoom though :(

Edit: sorry to bump the thread (every time I see it bumped I think 'GSC2013 Extreme v1.2 is out!')

After not playing for an eternity, RaceRoom sent me 800 free points, nice. However, even though the game is supposedly running at 130fps, it feels like 45. Anyone know why that might be?

rF2 has a similar problem, but setting the frame-limit to 70 seems to fix it. I can't seem to find any frame-limit option in RaceRoom though :(
Yeah there's no frame limiter on RaceRoom unfortunately, and they didn't seem to understand why I wanted it when I asked on the RaceDepartment forums. It could be that your framerate is simply too variable, so it appears less smooth despite being very high. I'm using Nvidia Inspector to limit it to 60 for now.

I've been back on the Niels NSX kick lately now that it's playable in GSC. I'm not into drifting at all, but damn, this car begs you to drive like Chris Harris after only a couple laps. You just end up steering it with the throttle the whole time. It feels impossible to spin! It's a shame that it's AI is so crash-happy. It'd be damn-near perfect if it were raceable.

6ytytiichj13.gif

You can bring just about anything rF related into GSC now with rFactorTools, including HistoriX apparently. Has anybody tried this here? Complicated?

TJP

I've been back on the Niels NSX kick lately now that it's playable in GSC. I'm not into drifting at all, but damn, this car begs you to drive like Chris Harris after only a couple laps. You just end up steering it with the throttle the whole time. It feels impossible to spin! It's a shame that it's AI is so crash-happy. It'd be damn-near perfect if it were raceable.
Any links to the mod for GSC users to try?

Any links to the mod for GSC users to try?

Yeah, yeah, of course. I should have posted it.

A guy on Race Department ran the mod through rFactorTools, and posted it, so I'm just going to link to his posts for simplicity's sake.

Post w/download
Post with realfeel settings

If you have GSC (or rF), I can't recommend it enough. You'd be hard-pressed to find another car in any sim that is more fun. Here's Niels' original video about it.

TJP

If you have GSC (or rF), I can't recommend it enough. You'd be hard-pressed to find another car in any sim that is more fun.
Thanks for the links to RD. Whilst I don't own rFactor, I do own very nearly every rFactor based simulation 8)

Here's Niels' original video about it.
Ever since Niels originally posted the video I was hoping he'd add it to GSC - I guess the licence costs would be quite large. Speaking of GSC, Grid; Autosport features two Brazilian Stock Cars so perhaps someone at Codemasters is a fan of GSC.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Might be a stupid question, but: If I want a PC "racing sim" for the Top Gear Test Track: Which, if any, has the ability to put it in/includes it by default? I'm pretty sure the answer will be "all." So I guess the clarification would be: Which is the "most accurate" if anyone knows?

TJP

Might be a stupid question, but: If I want a PC "racing sim" for the Top Gear Test Track: Which, if any, has the ability to put it in/includes it by default? I'm pretty sure the answer will be "all." So I guess the clarification would be: Which is the "most accurate" if anyone knows?
rFactor 2 has a pretty decent version made by one of the ISI guys: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/4905-Top-Gear-TT-Dunsfold-Aerodrome-(Multi-Layout)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXIvTGWu5Fo

TheSeks

Hmm... but is Rfactor subscription based? I only want to play/drive offline. Can I get an offline version of that?

mrsmr2

rFactor 2 isn't subscription based.

If you buy the cheaper package you get the full game and 1 year of on-line multiplayer.
If buy the lifetime package you get multiplayer for the life of the product.

You can play the offline part for ever, whichever you choose.

TheSeks

Cool. I'll have to look out for a sale on Rfactor this summer(?) or soon then. Looking to replace GT5 for my TGTT drives.

TJP

Keep an eye on Race Department as they are selling software & Iwouldn't be surprised if rFactor 2 appears on their store at some point.

Pachimari

So I bought Assetto Corsa during the Steam sales and bought myself a 3rd monitor. All of them are 1080p and connected to my GTX 780.

Ain't I supposed to play the game in Surround mode on 3 screens? Because I chose that in the games display settings but it still only shows on 1 screen. =/

mrsmr2

So I noticed EDGE gave Grid: Autosport a 9; anyone had a chance to check it out?
Being a former long time subscriber of Edge (18 years), it was apparent their reviews of UK based racing game developers are at least 1, maybe 2 marks higher than they should be.

Shaneus

Me. It's my favorite Codemasters game ever. And yes, I've played Toca 2 and 3. Really fantastic piece of work. It's not perfect, but it is GOOD.
Is it honestly good than Grid and Grid 2? I mean, I didn't hate them, but they were very generic. This almost comes across as a little closer to PGR-ish.

TJP

So I noticed EDGE gave Grid: Autosport a 9; anyone had a chance to check it out?
The thread for you: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842756

I have it as well; if one is looking for a sim-lite exerience Grid: Autosport is better than the very arcade Grid 2 (sold to me as PGR like; it's not but it is a lot of fun). The handling in Autosport is a lot better than previous Grid games as it does lean towards a more sim like approach. Autosport has 16 car grids, a very decent track selection & lots of biff and barge in the racing although the AI does range from shite to excellent depending on the racing discipline.

For me, Grid Autosport is a great play for 20-30 minutes blast kind of racer and is well worth buying!

VVV Mars VG

Yes its not a 9, the fact that the cockpits aren't 100% removed that score straight away, along with my personal irritation of the useless bumper cam. But it is great fun, I'll be playing it for ages.

I thought this sub-genre had died with PGR and TOCA. To hear how much people are enjoying this has been a pleasant surprise. I'll have to pick it up this weekend.

TJP

Sadly, another delay with GSC-E

Reiza Studios said:
We´re sorry for the delay in releasing GSCE v1.20 folks - we´ve encountered some difficulties getting all the new functionalities running smoothly and ready for release. We´re working hard to make that as short a delay as possible!

In the meantime, work is still going full steam ahead to develop new cars and tracks. This track will not be a part of v1.20, but should be ready in time for v1.25 that follows...

Hello, fellow PC racing sim enthusiasts!

I have a question. My first real racing sim experience was Forza 5. I bought it at launch and loved it. Now I am looking for the same type of experience on PC. Obviously Project Cars is the go to choice but it wont be out for a few months. So what game can you recommend me? Money is not an issue.

I was looking at GRID Autosport but the reviews on Steam are pretty rough and everyone is saying to go with GRID 2. Are there any other games out that are better than these 2? Also, any thoughts on Assetto Corsa? I would prefer a game that has amazing graphics. Thanks all! :)

Shaneus

I would say Assetto Corsa is your best bet, however in it's current state it's not final so don't expect the polish on the front-end and HUD compared to Forza. You won't anything like a career mode or anything either... but it looks pretty amazing and it's satisfying as hell to drive.

It IS firmly on the sim side of things though. I don't know how it handles with a controller, but a wheel would be recommended. I believe Seanspeed plays exclusively with a 360 pad, so he may have some input.

A GTR2 question; I'm quite amazed at how forgiving GTR2 is for braking; brakelocking and throwing the car into corners is actually very easy (if not optimal). I really don't think this is how these cars should handle?.. I know the game is praised for its great driving physics, but I really can't understand how twitchy the cars can be at high speed (high downforce) yet easy to handle under heavy braking (low downforce). Am I missing something? It rubs me wrong, somehow.

(I'm mostly an open wheel racer, Grand Prix Legends, GP4, etc.)

I have a question. My first real racing sim experience was Forza 5. I bought it at launch and loved it. Now I am looking for the same type of experience on PC. Obviously Project Cars is the go to choice but it wont be out for a few months. So what game can you recommend me? Money is not an issue.

I was looking at GRID Autosport but the reviews on Steam are pretty rough and everyone is saying to go with GRID 2. Are there any other games out that are better than these 2? Also, any thoughts on Assetto Corsa? I would prefer a game that has amazing graphics. Thanks all! :)

AC isn't a game yet. If you are ok with the features/cars/tracks that are implemented right now you can go for it. The racing in it is great even with a controller. (can't comment on AI, haven't spent enough time with it)

Personally I didn't enjoy Grid2, haven't played Autosport yet but from what I've seen it looks alright.

DD

I'd honestly recommend you to not listen to the haters and go with Grid Autosport. Whoever suggests you to buy Grid 2 definitely don't understand bollocks about racing.

I see people a little shy to praise Grid Autosport because Codemasters pissed a lot of people in recent years, but trust me: this game is insanely GOOD.

Top Bottom