• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

AzerPhire

I am looking at getting my first sim wheel and am having trouble deciding between the G27 and the Forza Motorsport CSR Wheel, CSR elite pedals, and the H shifter. I can get the G27 for about $230 CDN and the Fanatec set for about $350. Price isn't really a factor but those are the two options I have narrowed it down to.

What would you guys recommend? Most likely playing GT5, pCars with some Dirt 2 and maybe some NFS in there.

DD

My PC is prety weak so I play some older PC sims lately like GTR2 and Race 07.
What I like in these games is that there are safty cars,flag rules,50+ AI cars on track,punctures and all this stuff thay you can see in real racing and is absent in console sims.
GTR2 with its day/night cycle and pretty nice "natural looking" art still holds up pretty nice IMO.
Really good game for people that are new to PC sims.
Track selection is pretty weak though and tracks from modding community are not always that accurate.
One lap on Spa:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RaDmtLiM-s

Wait, WHAT?! Are you using mods? the game looks awesome!

I have GTR Evolution and almost all of the expansions packs, but damn, dat day/night cycle...

What settings are you using? I just started using these and they are really great! They work well with other sims too.

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1854086.page

Credits to Bob Bieber from iracing forums, quoted here for non iracing members

482113_10150968070353611_1306741655_n.jpg

I've used an old set recommended on the website but will try those ones out, thanks.

OrangeOak

I have GTR Evolution and almost all of the expansions packs, but damn, dat day/night cycle...

I'm only using "blinding sun" mod in this video.
There are some texture mods for this game but their quality is not always that good and there is ENB series mod but I don't like it,too much contrast,too shiny ect.
Vanilla plus "blinding sun" and maybe hi res gloves texture pack when wheel is visible works best for me.
and yes this game can still be pretty but it vastly depends on lighting conditions.During midday when sun is up high lighting is pretty dull and it doesn't look as good as on the video.
Evening,morning and all these day/night transitions are looking really good though.
Cockpit textures,track textures,skyboxes(especially during day/night transitions) and art are all great.
Keep in mind that this game is from 2006 though so track detail and overall tech behind it is not that amazing ;).

Shaneus

Damn, that did look good!

On that note, anyone else think Race Injection would be a good buy? I think it could be great for a full experience (as opposed to betas of pCARS and rFactor2) and given I have pCARS for graphics, I think I want something that just drives really well and has some great variety built into the game (as opposed to wrangling with DLC and endless mods).

amar212

Okay, my preparations for autumn purchase of racing-rig has been underway for some time, with funding started and some potential configuration being proposed by a friend.

I found original (disc) releases of both RBR and GP Legends on Zavvi (planning to install all mods imaginable) and I have CARS Senior Acc for the 2013 bliss.

Question: what to do with the Simbin backlog? I browsed their site a bit and learned how many titles are Steam (whatever that implies in context) and as I saw the only starting point would be purchase of GTR Evolution (that comes with Race '07) and GT Legends.

With GTR Evolution (which have Race 07 included) I could *probably* access all other add-on titles (Retro, Injection, WTCC..) only for the price of add-on or not?

Also, here is the configuration I was proposed by the friend - I wanted a budget config which would serve racing needs for some foreseeable future > I will be playing on my 50" 720p plasma which will be replaced by 1080p plasma sometime in late 2013 - I would welcome opinions. Thanx in advance.

INTEL Core i5 2320 BOX, s. 1155, 3.00GHz, 7MB cache, GPU, QuadCore
PC-10666, 8 GB, G.SKILL Ares series, F3-1333C9D-8GAO, DDR3 1333MHz, kit 2x4GB
PCI-E GAINWARD GeForce GTX 550 Ti, 1GB DDR5, HDMI, DVI, D-SUB
ASROCK P67 PRO, iP67 Rev B3, DDR3, zvuk, S-ATA, RAID, G-LAN, PCI-E, ATX, s. 1155
500W, CHIEFTEC A-80 Series, CTG-500-80P, ATX v2.3, 120mm vent., PFC

Megasoum

Banned

On that note, anyone else think Race Injection would be a good buy? I think it could be great for a full experience (as opposed to betas of pCARS and rFactor2) and given I have pCARS for graphics, I think I want something that just drives really well and has some great variety built into the game (as opposed to wrangling with DLC and endless mods).

Haha I went through the exact same thought process a couple of weeks ago. It's great to have access to all those awesome betas but I wanted to play with a finished product for once lol. I ended up starting up another F1 2011 season though....

Okay, my preparations for autumn purchase of racing-rig has been underway for some time, with funding started and some potential configuration being proposed by a friend.

I found original (disc) releases of both RBR and GP Legends on Zavvi (planning to install all mods imaginable) and I have CARS Senior Acc for the 2013 bliss.

Question: what to do with the Simbin backlog? I browsed their site a bit and learned how many titles are Steam (whatever that implies in context) and as I saw the only starting point would be purchase of GTR Evolution (that comes with Race '07) and GT Legends.

With GTR Evolution (which have Race 07 included) I could *probably* access all other add-on titles (Retro, Injection, WTCC..) only for the price of add-on or not?

Also, here is the configuration I was proposed by the friend - I wanted a budget config which would serve racing needs for some foreseeable future > I will be playing on my 50" 720p plasma which will be replaced by 1080p plasma sometime in late 2013 - I would welcome opinions. Thanx in advance.

INTEL Core i5 2320 BOX, s. 1155, 3.00GHz, 7MB cache, GPU, QuadCore
PC-10666, 8 GB, G.SKILL Ares series, F3-1333C9D-8GAO, DDR3 1333MHz, kit 2x4GB
PCI-E GAINWARD GeForce GTX 550 Ti, 1GB DDR5, HDMI, DVI, D-SUB
ASROCK P67 PRO, iP67 Rev B3, DDR3, zvuk, S-ATA, RAID, G-LAN, PCI-E, ATX, s. 1155
500W, CHIEFTEC A-80 Series, CTG-500-80P, ATX v2.3, 120mm vent., PFC

Have you looked at triple screen setups amar? Going from a 720p plasma to 1080p will only give you a boost in IQ (at the expense of frame rate) where as a 3 screen setup offers a real advantage in FoV and immersion.

I'm using a large screen but if I had more space for a dedicated rig I'd go for 3 monitors in a flash.

1-D_FTW

I can't speak about yay or nay, but just remember the Steam Summer sale begins this Thursday. And those titles are always included in the Steam catalog sales. It obviously won't be a featured item, but it'll still most likely be marked down somewhere between 50 and 75 percent off if history is any indicator.

amar212

Have you looked at triple screen setups amar?...

I did of course, but here is my problem:

- I want to have a dedicated large single-screen for my everyday gaming/movies in my gaming room
- currently I have 50" 720p screen and I'd like to get my hands on 1080p 65" Panasonic VT as soon as next-gen launches (late 2013 I suppose)
- if I go 720p triple-screen (would be same price as 65VT, even less) I can't accommodate screens larger than 42" in the room (projectors are not an option in my country, very expensive, almost no real market, servicing is crap, etc.) and would ask for the serious investment in re-arranging everything
- which would than leave me with 42" screen for the everyday gaming which is really not an option (once you go 50", you don't come back :))

So, I am pretty much stucked with the single-screen option (room is not that big) just because I need a great screen for playing other gams and watching movies.

Thus the First World Problems™ - despite my country is not the first world by no mean :(

DD

I'm only using "blinding sun" mod in this video.
There are some texture mods for this game but their quality is not always that good and there is ENB series mod but I don't like it,too much contrast,too shiny ect.
Vanilla plus "blinding sun" and maybe hi res gloves texture pack when wheel is visible works best for me.
and yes this game can still be pretty but it vastly depends on lighting conditions.During midday when sun is up high lighting is pretty dull and it doesn't look as good as on the video.
Evening,morning and all these day/night transitions are looking really good though.
Cockpit textures,track textures,skyboxes(especially during day/night transitions) and art are all great.
Keep in mind that this game is from 2006 though so track detail and overall tech behind it is not that amazing ;).
It is odd that Race 07 (and its expansions) doesn't have day/night cycle, and do not allow more then 32 cars on track, since its predecessor had it all.

Sure it is! :)

But better wait for the Steam sales.

It is only 10 reais (5 dollars) in this brazilian store, but I don't know if they sell for other countries...

The game is activated on Steam.

TJP

anyone else think Race Injection would be a good buy? I think it could be great for a full experience (as opposed to betas of pCARS and rFactor2) and given I have pCARS for graphics, I think I want something that just drives really well and has some great variety built into the game (as opposed to wrangling with DLC and endless mods).
Yep, you'll get that with Race Injection. SimBin make great products but just be aware the graphics aren't the best although they are decent enough IMO. The rest of the Race '07/GTR Evo being FFB, physics & sound are very damn good. One last point - online racing is best done in a league as idiot pirates have knackered public lobbies. Steam support say its a SimBin issue whilst SimBin say its a Steam issue! Offline is rock solid.

If you are looking for something a little different, try Game Stock Car by Reiza Studios (http://www.game-stockcar.com.br/en/index.html). The game is centred around the Brazilian touring car championship but Rieza also added a modern F1 car, an 80's F1 car (V6 turbo), Formula 3, Camaro SS and soon to be added Mini Challenge. Like SimBin's games, GSC has outstanding FFB and physics and the graphics are very good, despite being based on the aging rFactor platform. And the sound of the cars is fantastic - the V8 stock cars sound especially epic.

GSC won RaceDepartment's GOTY in 2011 and with very good reason! Best $30 I've spent on a game this year.

mclaren777

On that note, anyone else think Race Injection would be a good buy?

Yeah, it's a great way to experience a bunch of Simbin content in one convenient package, though I'd wait until the Steam summer sale to grab it then. Other options you might want to consider: Game Stock Car 2012 or netKar Pro.

Question: what to do with the Simbin backlog?

GAINWARD GeForce GTX 550 Ti
I would largely ignore the Simbin catalog unless you have a specific desire for something within it (like GT Legends). RBR and pCARS will be more than enough to hold you over until rFactor 2 officially launches, so I would recommend saving your money to get a GTX 560 instead.

If you are looking for something a little different, try Game Stock Car by Reiza Studios.

Great minds think alike. :)

markao

Amar,

I don't think that EVO does include the WTCC Race 07 cars, unless you mean you get a free copy of RACE 07 with the game?

At Simbin's website you can easily check what's included in each game/expansion (http://www.simbin.com/games/). I think buying Race Injection (includes race07) and Evo will get you most of them.

And yes, with RACE 07/EVO as base you can add the other expansions to the main game.

For any questions and or problems about/with those games, I would register an account on RaceRoom.

DD

Yep, you'll get that with Race Injection. SimBin make great products but just be aware the graphics aren't the best although they are decent enough IMO. The rest of the Race '07/GTR Evo being FFB, physics & sound are very damn good. One last point - online racing is best done in a league as idiot pirates have knackered public lobbies. Steam support say its a SimBin issue whilst SimBin say its a Steam issue! Offline is rock solid.

If you are looking for something a little different, try Game Stock Car by Reiza Studios (http://www.game-stockcar.com.br/en/index.html). The game is centred around the Brazilian touring car championship but Rieza also added a modern F1 car, an 80's F1 car (V6 turbo), Formula 3, Camaro SS and soon to be added Mini Challenge. Like SimBin's games, GSC has outstanding FFB and physics and the graphics are very good, despite being based on the aging rFactor platform. And the sound of the cars is fantastic - the V8 stock cars sound especially epic.

GSC won RaceDepartment's GOTY in 2011 and with very good reason! Best $30 I've spent on a game this year.
I'm seriously thinking about buying GSC, but I don't have a wheel, only a Xbox controller. Is it playable?

TJP

My pleasure - I'm always happy to help. With the demo version of GSC, you are restricted to 60 minutes of play with just the stock cars.

Further, if you are running an Nvidia graphics card, be aware that you may find some slowdown if the file 'd3d9.dll' is present in the installation folder. This dll is responsible for the in-game circuit map and nothing more and is a known issue with rFactor from what I understand.

There is a thread about the file on Race Department with a response from Reiza Studios: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/game-crashing-on-startup.52959/

Cheers.

Shaneus

Thanks for the tips, gents! Had no idea about the Steam sale, so I'll definitely hold out for that. Seems like the way to go is to buy Injection and GTR:Evo, and given that together they're a little over $35 without *any* discount, it won't be a huge blow if they're not discounted at all during the Steam thing. But yeah, I'm guessing 50% won't be unexpected.

1-D_FTW

Gave the Race 07 demo another shot last night. Definitely gonna pick it up assuming it's on sale tomorrow. Like a lot of these older PC sims, it looks real good in 3D. And everything else has always been considered top notch.

My pleasure - I'm always happy to help. With the demo version of GSC, you are restricted to 60 minutes of play with just the stock cars.

Further, if you are running an Nvidia graphics card, be aware that you may find some slowdown if the file 'd3d9.dll' is present in the installation folder. This dll is responsible for the in-game circuit map and nothing more and is a known issue with rFactor from what I understand.

There is a thread about the file on Race Department with a response from Reiza Studios: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/game-crashing-on-startup.52959/

Cheers.

So it's using that map plug-in from rfactor? Yeah, that thing will absolutely destroy my framerate if I try running it on my GTX 460.

_machine

Yup, I really like the quality over content approach and it should suit Kunos' very well. The few videos I've seen so far all looked really convincing and I'm a huge fan of most of the content announced so far. The only thing I'm slightly worried about is how the Momo's FFB is going to be like; most of the games I've tested so far have all had horrible FFB with it, including rF2 and a brief test iRacing.

It also looks really nice judging from the footage we've seen so far, enough to give that extra bit of immersion against iRacing or rF2 (which I don't think are ugly, just a bit stale and lacking in the tech and polygons sections). It seems to use a deferred render though which means jaggies and slightly worse IQ over older game is to be expected.

mclaren777

I think AC+rF2 is going to be the winning combination for the current wave of sims.

AC will obviously have fantastic licensed content and rF2 will have years of wonderful mods to enjoy.

I'm slightly worried about is how the Momo's FFB...

You and Blizzard confuse me. You'll spend $1400 supporting pCARS but you won't spend $220 to get a Logitech G27?

1-D_FTW

Yeah. I'm sorry, but the black Momo sucks. I bought one years ago and it's the reason I wrote off FFB wheels for so many years. I assumed they all felt like cheap toys.

Looking for advise regarding the SimBin games.
I bought Race Injection thinking that it had all cars / tracks released including GTR/2 etc. Just found out that it doesn't so was wondering if I was to buy one of the GTR games, would the cars and tracks integrate into Race?
If so, have they released one that contains all cars and tracks in one pack, like Injection?

Dilly

Banned
Yes, but I don't think it'll get the same level of support as rF2.

Depends how the support is, since I think rFactor has lots of work to do on their mod implementation at this moment.

If AC does what rFactor does in terms of FFB and handling and it looks better with an easier to use UI, it may well attract a lot more mod support.

_machine

You and Blizzard confuse me. You'll spend $1400 supporting pCARS but you won't spend $220 to get a Logitech G27?
Heh, well the manager toolpack was part investment, part of it to support the devs, part of it get more knowledge in the business and to get an insight into game development. I thought it was better to put it into the project than let it rot in a bank for a year to get a measly 60€ profit.

I might and probably will get a better wheel once I've moved out and these games are released, but currently I've no desire to spend any money on a new wheel.

1-D_FTW

Cheaped out on buying Race Injection since it was only 50 percent off. Picked up Race 07 (2.99) and the Retro Expansion (2.49). Might pick up the GTR-Evolution expansion pack, but the CAG in me kind of chaffes at the 6.50 price. I'm probably buckle anyway.

The retro expansion is so good. Just love the sound of the 70 Camaro when you're breaking. That whoosing sound is golden.

TJP

Definitely the sim I'm looking forward to the most, quite possibly the most realistic one too!
Couldn't agree more although I still hold hopes that GTR 3 will be fantastic too.

Then there is is rFactor 2, CARS, the Senna game from Reiza Studios...life is sweet for the PC sim racer!

Shaneus

Cheaped out on buying Race Injection since it was only 50 percent off. Picked up Race 07 (2.99) and the Retro Expansion (2.49). Might pick up the GTR-Evolution expansion pack, but the CAG in me kind of chaffes at the 6.50 price. I'm probably buckle anyway.

The retro expansion is so good. Just love the sound of the 70 Camaro when you're breaking. That whoosing sound is golden.
Only 50% off? It's $12.50. For all that content.

FWIW I'll be spending about $25 on the total package. Ignition and Race On from Steam, and if you buy GTR:Evo from Gamer's Gate, it'll only set you back $5 because you're not buying Race 07 with it (like you're forced to with Steam).

1-D_FTW

Only 50% off? It's $12.50. For all that content.

FWIW I'll be spending about $25 on the total package. Ignition and Race On from Steam, and if you buy GTR:Evo from Gamer's Gate, it'll only set you back $5 because you're not buying Race 07 with it (like you're forced to with Steam).

I know. It's not the money, it's the percentage. When I looked at the content for each package, I realized Retro was the only one I really wanted. No offense to the other expansions, but I've never watched a single race from those series and I'd have absolutely zero fantasy fulfillment from racing in them. There's just a psychological barrier that must be crossed before I'll spend on things I'll probably never touch. 50 percent off isn't it:)

Frawdder

I don't remember what Automaniax was but I put my email address into a text box on their site and received this email today

Automaniax said:
Dear automaniax.com friend,

The air is vibrating.

The automaniax.com engine is running under
high load. We intend to provide you an extra- ordinary and mindblowing community,
race and automotive experience.

You can have a seat in our cockpit and have
a say during the on-going creation period
once we are online next week.

Thank you very much for your patience

The automaniaX Team

Edit: Some quick Googling and it turns out that Automaniax is a Free to Play Porsche Game. I don't even remember it being announced.

Megasoum

Banned
So 911wheel.de has been down all day... I wonder if Thomas shut down the site because he was tired of having dozens of people bitching about 1-the new site transition being the biggest clusterfuck I've seen in a while and 2-Them not making a GT rim for the CSR Elite wheel lol...

Arucardo

Crap, starting to keep an eye on an auction for a complete Fanatec CSR Elite set (elite wheel, pedals, csr shifters) including a racing seat. Starting price is 490e and if no one else shows much interest towards the end I'll ask the seller if he's willing to cut the final price a bit and exclude the racing seat to make shipping sensible.

Selling my current hardware and the g25 set should easily get me 300e so this whole thing seems a bit too tempting to pass up on. If the price doesn't skyrocket towards the end of the auction I might get this as a nice birthday gift for myself ;) .

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Welp, I just bought DiRT and DiRT 2 on Steam for $2.49 and $4.99 each. I also got Race 07 for $2.99. I figured why not, I spend more money on gas some days, lol.

This Steam sale is both a good thing and a bad thing....I won't get to try any of these out until next weekend, but those prices are too good to pass up.

Shaneus

You got the best Dirts, IMO. 3 is still good as well, but IMO not as good as 2.

Was Race 07 on a daily or is it the Simbin 50% whole-duration thing?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
You got the best Dirts, IMO. 3 is still good as well, but IMO not as good as 2.

Was Race 07 on a daily or is it the Simbin 50% whole-duration thing?

Looks like it's on sale til the 23rd for $2.99. Unless Steam is lying, which it most likely isn't. I doubt it will get any cheaper than that though.

Shaneus

Looks like it's on sale til the 23rd for $2.99. Unless Steam is lying, which it most likely isn't. I doubt it will get any cheaper than that though.
I could see it going down to *maybe* 75% off for the series, but you wouldn't be saving much more than you're saving now. I haven't jumped in yet (am going to get Injection, On and GTR:Evo from GamersGate) but will definitely do so soon.

1-D_FTW

I could see it going down to *maybe* 75% off for the series, but you wouldn't be saving much more than you're saving now. I haven't jumped in yet (am going to get Injection, On and GTR:Evo from GamersGate) but will definitely do so soon.

I don't know how closely you follow Steam sales, but things are usually pretty predictable. Those games are not something to expect as a daily. If you have no intention of playing them for a week, there's no harm in waiting. But if you're itching to play, I wouldn't wait. Odds are extremely low. Given the low profile and the fact they're already at 50 percent off, I'd place chances at well below 1 percent.

Top Bottom