• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

TJP

Reiza Studios posted on Race Department that they no longer had the required licenses for the 2010 season. You can still download GSC and the 1.70 patch from a few legit websites such as atomicgamer.com who have the demo (which is the full game) and VirtualR has links to several patches.

As stated, GSC 2012 has all of the content of the original game but with improved graphics and physics.

There is one additional track to download for GSC 2012: http://www.tltracks.com/2012/07/autodromo-floripa-v2-0-game-stock-car-2012/

1-D_FTW

Someone ported it to rFactor 2 but getting it is a little tricky and from what I understood he used the model and the sounds without permission from the original authors.

EDIT: Looks like they got the credits/permission issues sorted, you can get the rF2 version without feeling bad about it ;)

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/6059-Senna-88-and-Formula-V6-BETA-mod/page3

There's a link for it in that thread or use the game server browser and search for Senna 1988 series or something like that.

Reading through that thread, it doesn't really sound all that accurate.

I'll wait and hope that the rumored Senna title from Reiza is real.

Mascot

I've been lurking in this thread with a view to easing myself into the world of PC sim racing. It would certainly help if I had clue fucking one what the hell everyone was going on about..! It's like a foreign language is being spoken.

More research needed, methinks.

TJP

Don't worry Mascot. I jumped from Xbox 360 back to PC gaming, specifically racing sims, 18 months ago and it's been a very easy transition. I've had a ball with PC simulation racing - the Xbox has been powered up about 3 times in 18 months.

Shaneus

Don't worry Mascot. I jumped from Xbox 360 back to PC gaming, specifically racing sims, 18 months ago and it's been a very easy transition. I've had a ball with PC simulation racing - the Xbox has been powered up about 3 times in 18 months.
Only thing it's missing is really solid arcade racers... with an online community. Driver SF and Blur are great, but the people who play online with those sorts of games are usually console-only, sadly.

paskowitz

I've been lurking in this thread with a view to easing myself into the world of PC sim racing. It would certainly help if I had clue fucking one what the hell everyone was going on about..! It's like a foreign language is being spoken.

More research needed, methinks.

iRacing

Richard Burns Rally

GTREvo/Race

Really the only 3 you need.

Mascot

Thanks for the advice guys. My first hurdle will be specifying/buying a suitable gaming rig, but a recent unexpected drain on my finances might delay this for several months.

Arucardo

Thanks for the advice guys. My first hurdle will be specifying/buying a suitable gaming rig, but a recent unexpected drain on my finances might delay this for several months.

PC sims can ruin/spoil you though, lol. Going back to GT or Forza will never feel the same again. Not that they're bad (I still love both series) but they just have different priorities and to some extend cater to a different audience.

Hey Gents,

I finally took the plung in to a PC racing sim. While I've been waiting for rFactor 2 to come out of beta to do so, the Steam sale wouldn't allow me to wait. So I picked up Race 07 and all the expansions for it, and all I have to say is WOW! I come from a strictly Forza race history and the difference from this, now almost 5 year old title is staggering.

Only thing is, since I have been racing exclusively on my xbox, I don't have any PC racers to compete with... My Steam name is SLIMv3n0m, if anyone is interested in lapping me on the track.

Also, just a note at what a difference the game make with my CSR wheel... This is what force feed back should feel like! I'm not sure why it's so gymped in Forza?

Shawsie64

Banned
Hey Gents,

I finally took the plung in to a PC racing sim. While I've been waiting for rFactor 2 to come out of beta to do so, the Steam sale wouldn't allow me to wait. So I picked up Race 07 and all the expansions for it, and all I have to say is WOW! I come from a strictly Forza race history and the difference from this, now almost 5 year old title is staggering.

Only thing is, since I have been racing exclusively on my xbox, I don't have any PC racers to compete with... My Steam name is SLIMv3n0m, if anyone is interested in lapping me on the track.

Also, just a note at what a difference the game make with my CSR wheel... This is what force feed back should feel like! I'm not sure why it's so gymped in Forza?

Have you tried iracing? That has by far the best online racing out on PC.. almost an xbox live experience in terms of accessibility and people racing with far better physics

Megasoum

Banned
I can't wait to go back to sim racing. My Fanatec PWTS had a broken shifter paddle and a slipping belt for the last couple of months so I couldn't really play. I have a CSR in the mail right now and it can't get here fast enough!

I already have rF2 and I'm planning on getting GSC too after all the great comments from everybody.

amar212

Also everyone has to buy NetKar Pro and support Kunos guys to develop Asetto Corsa.

My PC gaming rig is T-50 days away.

Shawsie64

Banned
I can't wait to go back to sim racing. My Fanatec PWTS had a broken shifter paddle and a slipping belt for the last couple of months so I couldn't really play. I have a CSR in the mail right now and it can't get here fast enough!

I already have rF2 and I'm planning on getting GSC too after all the great comments from everybody.[/QUOTE]

You wont regret it, I was really impressed with the FFB and physics

Have you tried iracing? That has by far the best online racing out on PC.. almost an xbox live experience in terms of accessibility and people racing with far better physics

No I haven't tried iRacing... I'm a little concerned about the on going cost. Although I have been tempted by their recent sales.

Shaneus

Hey Gents,

Did you just get Race 07 or did you get the full Race Injection package? I ended up shelling out for Injection, GTR:Evo (from Gamersgate for $5) and Race On. I'm overwhelmed by content!

And I'm still contemplating getting Game Stockcar... bahaha.

Did you just get Race 07 or did you get the full Race Injection package? I ended up shelling out for Injection, GTR:Evo (from Gamersgate for $5) and Race On. I'm overwhelmed by content!

And I'm still contemplating getting Game Stockcar... bahaha.

I'm pretty sure I bought all the expansions. And yeah the amount of content is pretty staggering. I've also hit up a couple of mod sites and loaded up with almost every track and bunch of cars available for the game.

Shawsie64

Banned
No I haven't tried iRacing... I'm a little concerned about the on going cost. Although I have been tempted by their recent sales.

At first I was the same but once I tried it I was hooked.. If you have paypal you can sign up for the 3 month trial and they wont 're-charge' your credit card when it expires, you have to manually re-authorize the payment. Its a great way to try it without being 'locked in' so to speak.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm downloading the Netkar Demo right now... Is it playable with a 360 controller? While I wait for my wheel to get here.

Edit: Yeah...tried with the gamepad, not really playable but it's promising, I'll retry when I'll get the wheel.

At first I was the same but once I tried it I was hooked.. If you have paypal you can sign up for the 3 month trial and they wont 're-charge' your credit card when it expires, you have to manually re-authorize the payment. Its a great way to try it without being 'locked in' so to speak.

Maybe I'll give it a go... I was really tempted when they had their big sale a couple of weeks ago.

Mascot

Ruined what?
Well, I know you're a big Forza fan, so I guess I mean does FM feel inferior by comparison with things like FFB, physics, track selection, number of AI racers, race-day feel etc? Does playing FM4 feel like a step backwards after hooning around on PC sims?

TJP

Only thing it's missing is really solid arcade racers... with an online community. Driver SF and Blur are great, but the people who play online with those sorts of games are usually console-only, sadly.
True. I don't miss playing the Xbox and Forza at all thanks to the shear number of fantastic racing sims with much better physics and track selection.

Excellent - another convert! Think about joining a league such as Race Department as one of the downsides to the Race series has been game piracy killing online racing with randoms due to the hacks people are using. Avoid players with the handle Skidrow!

Shaneus

Well, I know you're a big Forza fan, so I guess I mean does FM feel inferior by comparison with things like FFB, physics, track selection, number of AI racers, race-day feel etc? Does playing FM4 feel like a step backwards after hooning around on PC sims?
That was a joke :p

Honestly, the only thing that really pushes me to PC over console is the fact I have a wheel for PC. If I had a wheel for Forza I'd probably be playing that just as much, I think.

TJP

As far as physics go, where does Race 07 rank with the big boys? Them being, iRacing, rFactor, rFactor 2, and pCARS.
You are opening a can of worms with that question! Put simply: everyone has their favourite(s) and will argue until their blue in the face as to which sim the 'best'.

For instance I've read on several sim forums that the Race 07 physics are too easy and the tyres are too grip laden yet I've read former WTCC drivers praising the game. Rubens Barrichello is known to really enjoy the Race/GTR Evo series mentioned car setups were too complex for the average person! Opinions on iRacing range from the best sim ever to the 'i' meaning ice as in ice racing for the lack of tyre grip. iRacing has the most real world drivers racing amongst the general populace of any racing sim if that means anything outside of great marketing.

pCARS is subject to levels of scorn and derision not often encountered outside of a FM vs GT or COD vs Battlefield fanboy bating thread. FWIW, I've found CARS to be a rather decent sim that is a WIP in many areas and has 12 months left in development.

Try them all and see which ones suit your personal preferences the best. FWIW, I really enjoy Ferrari Virtual Academy, NetKar Pro, Game Stock Car 2012 and the SimBin catelogue. I read an EVO article on the McLaren F1 simulator which requires a bank of technicians and cost several million pounds only to read the McLaren test driver admit that the simulator is a world apart from the real thing 8)

paskowitz

As far as physics go, where does Race 07 rank with the big boys? Them being, iRacing, rFactor, rFactor 2, and pCARS.

Ranking in my opinion

1. rFactor2 (low on content, high on FFB and physics. Still a WIP)
2. iRacing (I am not a fan of how the game handles oversteer but other than that the physics are great)
3. Race/GTREvo (Decent physics and FFB. Decent mod support)
4. rFactor (even with mods, I never liked rFactor. It just never felt good to me. Maybe I was doing it all wrong, but tons of people swear by it)
5. pCARS (Still a WIP. Physics are a total mess. Everything else, graphics, sound, design, etc, is bar setting)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH

So true Shaneus, so true my man. I have been forced to adapt and learn to love PC *sims*, but my heart will always be with arcade racers, especially the kind from the early to late 90's(All the Sega and Namco games). There will always....ALWAYS be a part of me that wishes games like OutRun 2, Daytona USA, Daytona 2, Super GT, F-ZeroGX, and Ridge Racer 7 were officially on PC and had an online community as large as Call of Duty or World of Warcraft. That would seriously be the greatest thing to happen in my life and I wouldn't so much as LOOK in the direction of a hardcore racing sim ever again if it did!!

Alas, we live in the real world :(

1-D_FTW

Ranking in my opinion

1. rFactor2 (low on content, high on FFB and physics. Still a WIP)
2. iRacing (I am not a fan of how the game handles oversteer but other than that the physics are great)
3. Race/GTREvo (Decent physics and FFB. Decent mod support)
4. rFactor (even with mods, I never liked rFactor. It just never felt good to me. Maybe I was doing it all wrong, but tons of people swear by it)
5. pCARS (Still a WIP. Physics are a total mess. Everything else, graphics, sound, design, etc, is bar setting)

rF2 is definitely my favorite too. I would rank the original rfactor a little higher, but will absolutely concede the game is a massive PITA and isn't for everyone.

I'll also agree with the above poster and the comments about iRacing being short for ice racing. I really like the game, but when I'm testing, and trying to experiment with what the limits are (since you can't feel them like in a real car), it's just infuriates me when I take a Mazda onto the grass at 60 mph and can only watch as my car then bobsleds until it smashes into the wall and needs a reset. Brakes don't work. Lifting off the gas and turning doesn't work. You're just an out of control bobsled on black ice. It's completely ridiculous and unrealistic. "Stay on the road." Well, yeah. But it's still something that makes me think a lot less highly of the game than I should. Because if that's so broken and divorced from reality, what else? At least that's the logic I can't escape.

bee

the latest build of iracing is a big step forward imo, i'd put it on par with netkarpro now which imo has the best physics and ffb out there

paskowitz

In rf2 you can save a slide if you act early and quickly enough. In iRacing, I feel Luke once the car behind to rotate, the game predetermines your fate and there is nothing you can do. This is acceptable on cars without a lot of mechanical grip, but on a GT race car it should not happen.

Interesting responses... I figured it would be a mixed bag of opinions, but I thought I'd ask anyways. But it does seem that many of you agree on strengths and weaknesses of certain games. Im still going to hold out for rFactor 2, I would have actually liked to get into rFactor 1, but I just can't spend $40 on a game when I know the sequel is just around the corner.

After digging into R07, it has me more tempted to buy into the rF2 beta though.

paskowitz

Interesting responses... I figured it would be a mixed bag of opinions, but I thought I'd ask anyways. But it does seem that many of you agree on strengths and weaknesses of certain games. Im still going to hold out for rFactor 2, I would have actually liked to get into rFactor 1, but I just can't spend $40 on a game when I know the sequel is just around the corner.

After digging into R07, it has me more tempted to buy into the rF2 beta though.

If you are not satisfied with the rf2 beta you can return your license key and get a refund.

1-D_FTW

If you are not satisfied with the rf2 beta you can return your license key and get a refund.

This. Plus, Amazon sells the original for 19.99:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VOSQ0Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So it's only the DD that's still stuck at 40 dollars. I have the retail version and just use a no-cd patch to run it directly from the hard drive. Even have it linked to my Steam library. So you really only need to run the dvd once to install it (if that's why you're leaning towards DD).

Branson

the latest build of iracing is a big step forward imo, i'd put it on par with netkarpro now which imo has the best physics and ffb out there

I still haven't tried netkar yet. I need to at some point. But yeah, I mainly race oval and the slides I catch with the b class and a class cars would have put me in the wall in previous builds.

And the grass is ice. I've gotten lucky before though and saved a car spinning through the Daytona/talladega tri oval grass.

This. Plus, Amazon sells the original for 19.99:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VOSQ0Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So it's only the DD that's still stuck at 40 dollars. I have the retail version and just use a no-cd patch to run it directly from the hard drive. Even have it linked to my Steam library. So you really only need to run the dvd once to install it (if that's why you're leaning towards DD).

Yeah, I hate running anything off the disc. I even install all my console games. I didn't know there was a no cd patch... I'm definitely going to look into that. Thanks for mentioning it!

1-D_FTW

Yeah, I hate running anything off the disc. I even install all my console games. I didn't know there was a no cd patch... I'm definitely going to look into that. Thanks for mentioning it!

There's not an official patch, but as long as you're buying it, I've never had ethical issues with downloading no-cd patches.

Darkdeus

Still feels like NFS Shift tbh.

It doesn't feel like shift anymore to me but it also does not feel that good which is why they are pretty much replacing the existing physics. The tire model is going to be replaced along with the dynamics physics system so right now the physics are kind of a question mark. The game is going to have fantastic content and graphics and I know SMS wants the ffb and physics to match. I just hope they can achieve their goals. I guess we will see though.

Top Bottom