• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Shaneus

Never followed the sales of Simbin stuff, but I've seen other somewhat niche-y titles get dailies (I think that train simulator with a billion add-ons?) so the chance would be greater than that, but we're splitting hairs over *maybe* five bucks.

1-D_FTW

Never followed the sales of Simbin stuff, but I've seen other somewhat niche-y titles get dailies (I think that train simulator with a billion add-ons?) so the chance would be greater than that, but we're splitting hairs over *maybe* five bucks.

Cover your eyes, but that "game" is actually pretty popular :lol.

Heck, even some gaffers have bought it as a lark and become converts to it. I myself will avoid any such temptation.

Just been reading the last few pages as I've hit the last stroke with F1 2011, RACE Injection looks really really good. Considering the package and price on Steam I'm very tempted to get it.

Downloading the demos for rFactor, NK Pro, Race 007 and GTR: Evo. I'll be looking for GSC. Any other sim racing games I should look out for?

1-D_FTW

It's good.

Although I'm not gonna lie: I saw that title and immediately thought a Caterpillar was going to crash into a row of 175 Corvettes :lol.

amar212

6 months free membership for iRacing with Cadillac Cup Racing.

https://cadillaccupracing.com/

cadillaccuplogo.png

Registration required with usual 1$ confirmation fee.

New members only, once received code expires in January 2013.

_machine

6 months free membership for iRacing with Cadillac Cup Racing.

https://cadillaccupracing.com/

cadillaccuplogo.png

Registration required with usual 1$ confirmation fee.

New members only, once received code expires in January 2013.
It's a great deal, I recommend registering to the Cadillac Site with a "spam" email address and then using the code you get to create the iRacing account with your proper email. You probably can't opt out of the Cadillac newsletter and I like to keep my proper email spam/newsletter free so I used my 2nd email to register to the cadillacracing.

Had a little try with the game and as per usual the MOMO FFB was either nonexistant or just heavy with no real feel at all and huge clunking. The game itself felt fantastic, but I just don't have the time to dedicate to it atm.

I'll have to try loan my friends DFGT and properly test the game later on.

bee

iracing finally has a great deal for existing subscribers too, 50% off so a 2 year subscription is only $99 (£63) works out about £2.60 a month which is more than worth it for the currently unrivalled online service they're providing in the sim world

edit: removed link and corrected info cos i'm stupid, dunno where the link on the site is but the offer is there on email for subscribers

1-D_FTW

Yeah. I received that too. But I have nothing tied to my account, so I'm tempted to just create a new one with the free Cadillac code.

I know it includes tracks including mid-ohio, but does anyone know if it includes the usual starter cars, or are you limited to the Cadillac? I don't feel like entering all the info and realizing it's just the one car for free.

Yeah. I received that too. But I have nothing tied to my account, so I'm tempted to just create a new one with the free Cadillac code.

I know it includes tracks including mid-ohio, but does anyone know if it includes the usual starter cars, or are you limited to the Cadillac? I don't feel like entering all the info and realizing it's just the one car for free.

It's the full base package.

http://www.iracing.com/cadillac/

"7 cars, 10 tracks"

1-D_FTW

I wonder if it's a permban this time since he's been banned before...

That's not really how it works. Doesn't seem like there are any posts that are in danger of that.

Looking at his post history is a bit of a head scratcher. Was he really banned for the gun comment. If so, that was a really short fuse by someone.

Arucardo

That's not really how it works. Doesn't seem like there are any posts that are in danger of that.

Looking at his post history is a bit of a head scratcher. Was he really banned for the gun comment. If so, that was a really short fuse by someone.

Yeah, I think he was just unlucky there.

I would imagine mods tend to look at how many times or how often someone has been banned so even "minor" bans could lead to a permban, at least that's how I/we used to moderate some irc channels back in the day.

Back on topic: Still thinking about pulling the trigger on a CSR Elite setup, got until the 26th to decide.

Yeah, I think he was just unlucky there.

I would imagine mods tend to look at how many times or how often someone has been banned so even "minor" bans could lead to a permban, at least that's how I/we used to moderate some irc channels back in the day.

Back on topic: Still thinking about pulling the trigger on a CSR Elite setup, got until the 26th to decide.

It's a great wheel.

1-D_FTW

Signed up for the Cadillac iracing offer.

Hopefully with 3D and my modded G27 pedals, I'll have better luck sticking with it this time.

EDIT: Uh-oh. I think my backlog may have met the new enemy, and its name is iracing. I can handle the cars so much better with my new setup. It's night and day for me:)

Oh, and mid-Ohio is sweet. Like that the new starting equipment isn't so bare-bones anymore.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Okay, so I've spent a few hours with the original DiRT this weekend (I haven't even booted up DiRT 2 nor RACE 07 yet) and so far I'm loving it immensely. I'm playing with a gamepad as I don't have a wheel, but the game controls well enough. I'm halfway through Tier 2 already in the career mode, bought a few cars and paint jobs too. I did a few races on Clubman, the second skill rank, but soon realized that it's better to do them all on Rookie first (the easiest skill level) because once you beat an event on Clubman the Rookie money purse gets greatly reduced. So I'm going to do the entire career tree on Rookie first, then go back and race them on each successive skill level from there (to maximize my winnings).

Good rally game. Certainly more than worth the $2.49 I paid for it. Looking forward to unlocking all of the tracks, and there seems to be a hell of a lot of them...

1-D_FTW

Okay, so I've spent a few hours with the original DiRT this weekend (I haven't even booted up DiRT 2 nor RACE 07 yet) and so far I'm loving it immensely. I'm playing with a gamepad as I don't have a wheel, but the game controls well enough. I'm halfway through Tier 2 already in the career mode, bought a few cars and paint jobs too. I did a few races on Clubman, the second skill rank, but soon realized that it's better to do them all on Rookie first (the easiest skill level) because once you beat an event on Clubman the Rookie money purse gets greatly reduced. So I'm going to do the entire career tree on Rookie first, then go back and race them on each successive skill level from there (to maximize my winnings).

Good rally game. Certainly more than worth the $2.49 I paid for it. Looking forward to unlocking all of the tracks, and there seems to be a hell of a lot of them...

It's a good game. It's just designed to be played with a controller. Which is why you like it so much. Wheel support sucks.

Shaneus

I keep forgetting. Is Simbin rFactor or Race/GTR?
If it's the latter, guess that means another sim game I'm buying into :/ Track looks stunning.

1-D_FTW

I keep forgetting. Is Simbin rFactor or Race/GTR?
If it's the latter, guess that means another sim game I'm buying into :/ Track looks stunning.

It's Race/GTR.

And hot damn. I initially glossed over those pictures thinking it was a CARS screenshot. That's gonna be awesome. Those graphics and SimBin handling? Oh, yeah.

Shaneus

It's Race/GTR.

And hot damn. I initially glossed over those pictures thinking it was a CARS screenshot. That's gonna be awesome. Those graphics and SimBin handling? Oh, yeah.
I'm hoping against hope that there's some way of merging the existing Race/GTR content with it, even it's just similar to GT5 with it's "standard" models. The old content with the new physics/handling/lighting model would be sooooooo dope... AND reward existing customers.

Shawsie64

Banned
Signed up for the Cadillac iracing offer.

Hopefully with 3D and my modded G27 pedals, I'll have better luck sticking with it this time.

EDIT: Uh-oh. I think my backlog may have met the new enemy, and its name is iracing. I can handle the cars so much better with my new setup. It's night and day for me:)

Oh, and mid-Ohio is sweet. Like that the new starting equipment isn't so bare-bones anymore.

Mid-ohio in the skippy is the bane of my existence haha, still trying to master that thing!

TJP

Is there an ETA on it at all? Or even rFactor2 for that matter?
We don't know of these latest screens are GTR 3 or another of SimBin's projects as the Swedes are keeping their release plans to themselves.

Thanks to Twitter, I do know is that SimBin are currently undertaking beta testing with at least 50 people with more due to help sometime soon.

Shaneus

Ah. I'm a bit out of the loop as far as the Simbin stuff goes (hell, only JUST got Race Injection etc.) so thanks for the info :) Fingers crossed someone here can get in on dat beta!

TJP

Ah. I'm a bit out of the loop as far as the Simbin stuff goes (hell, only JUST got Race Injection etc.) so thanks for the info :) Fingers crossed someone here can get in on dat beta!
I think part of being on the SimBin beta test is an NDA tighter than an underwater bank vault 8)

I'm thilled we Aussies finally get Bathurst in a SimBin game. I'd love to see Phillip Island and something different like Hidden Valley plus a couple of Kiwi tracks e.g. Powerbuilt Raceway & Taupo Motorsport Park added too for good measure. Pipe dream time but I hope there is a deal for V8 touring cars from Australia and the V8SuperTourers from New Zealand too.

Have you looked at Game Stock Car 2012 from Reiza Studios? GSC 2012 earnt rave reviews from the Inside Sim Racing guys recently & Andy from Slightly Mad Studios posted on the WMD forums that he was 'very very impressed'. I'd rate it as my favourite tintop sim with its sublime FFB, physics, nice graphics & great sound. The extra cars consisting of a Formula 3, Formula Classic (1980's F1 car powered by a V6 turbo) and Formula Reiza (2010-2011 F1 car) aren't far off the best open wheelers from Kunos - the developer of NetKar Pro and Ferrari Virtual Academy. The stock SS Camaro is a fun drift mobile too.

Reiza Studios are making an Ayrton Senna game which if GSC is any guide will be mind blowing!

Arucardo

Have you looked at Game Stock Car 2012 from Reiza Studios? GSC 2012 earnt rave reviews from the Inside Sim Racing guys recently & Andy from Slightly Mad Studios posted on the WMD forums that he was 'very very impressed'. I'd rate it as my favourite tintop sim with its sublime FFB, physics, nice graphics & great sound. The extra cars consisting of a Formula 3, Formula Classic (1980's F1 car powered by a V6 turbo) and Formula Reiza (2010-2011 F1 car) aren't far off the best open wheelers from Kunos - the developer of NetKar Pro and Ferrari Virtual Academy. The stock SS Camaro is a fun drift mobile too.

Reiza Studios are making an Ayrton Senna game which if GSC is any guide will be mind blowing!

Yes! every car in GSC'12 is phenomenal, I especially like the open wheel cars.

SimRaceWay – Mclaren MP4/4:

The newest addition is the 1988 Mclaren MP4/4, the turbo-powered car took Ayrton Senna to his first of three Formula One World Championships.

While the MP4/4 has made the history books as one of the most successful F1 cars of all times, it’s presumably the most expensive add-on content ever sold in the sim racing world as SimRaceWay charges members $38 to drive the car.

Absolute madness, that exclusive McLaren deal must have cost them a shed load.

Shaneus

What are the chances that someone finds a way (no idea how, these modders are cah-razy) to rip the model and physics specs and put them in any other sim game? If they can rip Forza 3 models and put them in GTA, I'd imagine something solely based on PC would be even easier.

1-D_FTW

What are the chances that someone finds a way (no idea how, these modders are cah-razy) to rip the model and physics specs and put them in any other sim game? If they can rip Forza 3 models and put them in GTA, I'd imagine something solely based on PC would be even easier.

I thought people mentioned those were just rFactor mods that were monetized in that game. Probably already is freely available for rfactor.

Arucardo

I thought people mentioned those were just rFactor mods that were monetized in that game. Probably already is freely available for rfactor.

Someone ported it to rFactor 2 but getting it is a little tricky and from what I understood he used the model and the sounds without permission from the original authors.

EDIT: Looks like they got the credits/permission issues sorted, you can get the rF2 version without feeling bad about it ;)

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/6059-Senna-88-and-Formula-V6-BETA-mod/page3

There's a link for it in that thread or use the game server browser and search for Senna 1988 series or something like that.

TJP

If I buy GSC '12, does it have the '11 (and I suppose other years) content as well?

Track selection alright?
GSC 2012 is a stand alone free upgrade of GSC. You can install both the GSC and GSC 2012 games if you like - most have moved onto the the 2012 version because of the improvements both physics and graphics.

Top Bottom