• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

TJP

Simraceway is free to play; you get 3 free cars and 19 tracks for free (many of the tracks are real world!) I will state the the free tin-tops, an EVO and BMW coupe aren't great examples of the physics found in SRW but the F3 isn't bad at all. For as little as $10 USD, you can buy a solid collection of cars with some of the car prices being are as crazy as you read about elsewhere on the internet but the vast majroity are $5 or far less.

And FWIW, Allan McNish is associated with SRW and many have raced against him last week in the Audi R18 8) Decent SRW thread on Race Department: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/simraceway.40413/

Others that come to mind are the recently released RaceRoom Race Experience and Live for Speed has free elements and there a tonne of sims with trials available: all of the SimBin games have trials, the BMW M3 Challange game from Slightly Mad Studios is still available from BMW and is free to play plus Reiza's Game Stock Car 2012 30 day demo.

1-D_FTW

Ok, I hope so. It's a lot of fun to use but frustrating at the same time because I have to either race too conservatively to win or risk loosing control every few turns.

Just remember some people have longer learning curves than others. If you're really struggling, you could post a video of one of your races. It would help us spot what your biggest mistakes were.

Arucardo

Yeah getting used to it takes time, don't let it discourage you. Anyone who's tried my setup in all sorts of sims and driving games usually lacks the finesse and ends up flying all over the place.

The Gran Turismo and the Forza games are a pretty good starting point, I personally started with Forza 3 and gradually made my way up to more hardcore sims. If you can, try to avoid all driving aids too (especially the driving/racing line assist). ABS isn't a big deal but everything else can be detrimental to actually learning better car control. Also, this might be pretty obvious but you'll have an easier time if you start with less powerful cars and make your way up from there.

Just remember some people have longer learning curves than others. If you're really struggling, you could post a video of one of your races. It would help us spot what your biggest mistakes were.

I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm improving for sure, I just was surprised when I grabbed the controller and gave it a try. I didn't realize there was such a significant learning curve.

Also, left foot breaking? Yay or nay? Right now I'm using the pedals the way I'd drive my actual car, right foot for gas and brake, left for clutch (though I'm sticking to automatic for now in game) but obviously when I'm driving my actual car I'm not constantly braking and throttling so rapidly.

1-D_FTW

I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm improving for sure, I just was surprised when I grabbed the controller and gave it a try. I didn't realize there was such a significant learning curve.

Also, left foot breaking? Yay or nay? Right now I'm using the pedals the way I'd drive my actual car, right foot for gas and brake, left for clutch (though I'm sticking to automatic for now in game) but obviously when I'm driving my actual car I'm not constantly braking and throttling so rapidly.

I'll use my left foot a lot for braking (if not using a clutch). I think it's easier in a sim. Although like you, I was used to using my right foot in real life. Took me a while to make the change for sim racers.

And I would at least make the switch to paddle shifters. Don't worry about the clutch or H-shifter, but IMO just using the paddle shifters makes it easier to control a car. Automatic, to me, is more difficult to drive.

malyce

Also, left foot breaking? Yay or nay? Right now I'm using the pedals the way I'd drive my actual car, righ foot for gas and brake, left for clutch (though I'm sticking to automatic for now in game) but obviously when I'm driving my actual car I'm not constantly braking and throttling so rapidly.

You can Left foot brake, but as a beginner it won't really make much of a difference in lap times as it would if you were already at an advanced level. However it does negate the transition and adjustment period you'd have to go through when switching from right foot braking if you decide to switch in the future, so it definitely wouldn't hurt. For right now thought you should be more concerned with your braking points, apexes, conrner entry/exits, weight transfer ect. And as someone suggested earlier, you can post a video if its not too much trouble and I'm sure some people here will be happy to give you a few pointers.

Three60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1nUpTF2uq5Q#!

Interesting video for G27 owners. It's a video showing Casey Stoner practicing with rfactor in preparation for his switch to V8 Supercars. The interesting thing is: 1)Why's he just using a G27? 2) Check out what he did to the shifter. All those rubber bands have turned it into a pretty decent sequel shifter. Never saw that done before.

This is essentially what Casey did > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeRCeR_bb7A
but if you want "proper" seq shifter on your G27 this is what you need to do > http://www.simgadgets.net/index.php?threads/175/
Video here > http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ii9IFP1gUT0 check out @ 05:20

TJP

Looks like SimBin are following Simraceway's lead by having 'test drive' days: http://insider.simbin.com/r3e-try-before-you-buy/

testdrive2_large_BLOG-670x461.png

testdrive2_largebBLOG-670x461.png

Arucardo

Waiting for R3E to get actual multiplayer racing in it before I dive back in to it, really liked what I saw in the beta though. That Swedish forest "hill climb" was awesome with the old BMW.

Piggus

I starting to feel really stupid here. Do racing wheels take time to get used to? I've been playing around with Dirt 2 and I am struggling to maintain control in a lot of cases. I decided to see what it was like with a controller in the same race and it was so much easier to maintain control. I'm a little worried now that using the wheel is just going to be a handicap for me.

Don't worry, I felt like an idiot when I first got a wheel. It's just a weird sensation that takes some getting used to. Everybody I know who tries it for the first time suddenly forgets how to drive a car for a little while since they're not used to driving on a screen.

Shaneus

Don't worry, I felt like an idiot when I first got a wheel. It's just a weird sensation that takes some getting used to. Everybody I know who tries it for the first time suddenly forgets how to drive a car for a little while since they're not used to driving on a screen.
Mmhmm. I was always a d-pad tapper with a control pad so it took me a while to learn the analogue-ness of a wheel, but once you start driving cars like they're real cars... it's amazing. But it can be a difficult mental block to get around.

paskowitz

Still too expensive, still no content and still no MP. With AC round the corner SimBin are going to have to cut prices significantly to compete with them.

I agree. Until they can reach something close to iRacing levels of features, I see no reason to pay what they are charging for content. I honestly thought SRW was crazy with its pricing model, but honestly after R3 it is not that bad (you can get 70% of the cars for like $15 and the tracks are free).

I hope AC has straight forward pricing.

Something like:

Cars
Normal Cars (not race, not classic, not exotic): 5 for $5 or $1.50 each
Special Cars (race, classic and exotic): 5 for $10 or $3 each

Tracks
Single configuration: $6
Multiconfiguration: $8
Premium Tracks (Spa, Nurb, Bathurst, etc): $10

TJP

Still too expensive
Completely agree. 5000 SimBin points required to buy what is available right now in RR-RE is a crazy amount of money IMO; others will disagree.
still no content
New content is hopefully coming soon as testers have driven a few more cars the public haven't seen. Hopefully the 2 real world V8 powered touring cars are released very soon as they are the vehicles for lapping Bathurst 8)
and still no MP
MP is coming however only SimBin know when.

With AC round the corner SimBin are going to have to cut prices significantly to compete with them.
Whilst I don't see RR-RE and AC as direct competitors (e.g. SRW and RR-RE are competing in the same free to play space), the point concerning the perceived value for money of each sim is spot on.

1-D_FTW

I agree. Until they can reach something close to iRacing levels of features, I see no reason to pay what they are charging for content. I honestly thought SRW was crazy with its pricing model, but honestly after R3 it is not that bad (you can get 70% of the cars for like $15 and the tracks are free).

Something like:

Cars

Tracks

What? Are you talking about DLC? Because I've been under the assumption this is a real game and all the announced cars/tracks so far would be included under a base price. If they want to add DLC after that, cool enough. But I don't want to be nickel and dimed on this.

paskowitz

What? Are you talking about DLC? Because I've been under the assumption this is a real game and all the announced cars/tracks so far would be included under a base price. If they want to add DLC after that, cool enough. But I don't want to be nickel and dimed on this.

There will be a lot of content "on disc". But they said they will not be able to get everything in. The want to release the game before the end of the century, so I think this is reasonable.

TJP

1-D_FTW

There will be a lot of content "on disc". But they said they will not be able to get everything in. The want to release the game before the end of the century, so I think this is reasonable.

The following is a list from Race Department of what is included in version 1.0 of Assetto Corsa: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/assetto-corsa-car-and-track-list.52638/

As long as that's what's included with the base game, I'm fine. They can release all the DLC they want and I'm good with that.

Spookie

Whilst I don't see RR-RE and AC as direct competitors (e.g. SRW and RR-RE are competing in the same free to play space), the point concerning the perceived value for money of each sim is spot on.

Not directly maybe but I don't think the racing sim space is nearly big enough to think that there won't be a lot of overlap between people looking for an graphically updated and supported sim these days.

Shaneus

Something like:

Cars

Tracks
Nope, bugger that. I'm hoping for DLC packs that encapsulate entire series of cars and tracks, not paying for individual things. That's almost the very definition of "nickel and diming". Gimme about 4-5 cars, a track or two and charge me ten bucks for it. Otherwise you're segmenting the market too much by offering individual cars for sale. Especially the PC sim market.

ADRIANF1esp

Neo Member
The "problem" of some games as Simraceway or RaceRoom is pay for car and track (in SRW the tracks are free), this make that one think more before buy, comparison these games I prefer R3E for the graphics, but SRW has best level in physics, for me.

I hope that R3E put some pack offers for buy some cars/tracks, over all is necesary more tracks in R3E as Spa, Abu Dhabi, Monaco...

SRW needs for me more level in the tracks, because has many cars, but the circuits required more work, except the Silverstone circuit that is equal than real life.

I've made a comparison between Simraceway Silverstone and real life for if you want to see: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99851BI8U3Y)

Shaneus

The "problem" of some games as Simraceway or RaceRoom is pay for car and track (in SRW the tracks are free), this make that one think more before buy, comparison these games I prefer R3E for the graphics, but SRW has best level in physics, for me.
Something else on a similar note... it also means I'm less inclined to try cars I've never tried before. I'm not going to shell out real-world currency for something I may not enjoy driving. If things were at least in a pack of, say, 10 cars (or available in the main game) I'd at least give them a shot.

Megasoum

Banned
I decided to take out my steering today for the first time in weeks (spent some time in the hospital in January so didn't really play anything). I re-installed rf2 and pCARS.

Overall I prefer the content available in pCARS but I gotta say, going from rf2 to pCARS makes pCARS' FFB look REALLY bad. You can't feel anything from the car. You barely have rumble when going over kerbs. At least now I can actually use my wheel which is a big plus (the FFB was so fucked for a while that it was unplayable).

Hopefully they'll work on it soon. It makes driving a LOT easier in pCARS but kinda borring too.

TJP

Overall I prefer the content available in pCARS but I gotta say, going from rf2 to pCARS makes pCARS' FFB look REALLY bad.
Im my experience not many games can match either the physics or FFB of rFactor 2; sublime is an overused word but not in the case of rF2. For me only Game Stock Car and netKar Pro (and by extension Ferrari VA) are very close or equal to rF2 in these areas.

CARS development has at least 12 months to go and I'm confident that SMS will get the FFB in CARS as good as some of their older sims (e.g GTR 1 and 2) at the very least.

disap.ed

Im my experience not many games can match either the physics or FFB of rFactor 2; sublime is an overused word but not in the case of rF2. For me only Game Stock Car and netKar Pro (and by extension Ferrari VA) are very close or equal to rF2 in these areas.

CARS development has at least 12 months to go and I'm confident that SMS will get the FFB in CARS as good as some of their older sims (e.g GTR 1 and 2) at the very least.

What? More like 9 months (until release, so even less for "gold" development)

Otherwise I agree, I don't have any fears this couldn't become "sublime" too.

TJP

What? More like 9 months (until release, so even less for "gold" development)
We haven't got a factual release date unless I missed a post by Andy or Ian on the CARS forums so 12 months of dev time to go sounds about right to me.

1-D_FTW

Personally, I don't see why they deserve the benefit of the doubt. This is something that should be prioritized in the development process. But even if it somehow makes sense this far out, all SMS games have had lousy physics. Fool me ounce, shame on you. Fool me twice... You know the saying.

EDIT: Not that I'm not hoping to be wrong, just that I have zero expectations for it.

Arucardo

We haven't got a factual release date unless I missed a post by Andy or Ian on the CARS forums so 12 months of dev time to go sounds about right to me.

I'm almost certain that the goal has been Fall 2013 (even spring 2013 last year) for ages now, don't remember if it was mentioned in the "meetings" that were logged a while ago last year. There's just no way they're going to delay this to 2014.

Also, if you look at the current roadmap there's not that many assets missing anymore to warrant 12 months of development time.

TJP

Personally, I don't see why they deserve the benefit of the doubt. This is something that should be prioritized in the development process. But even if it somehow makes sense this far out, all SMS games have had lousy physics. Fool me ounce, shame on you. Fool me twice... You know the saying.
I can see your point as nothing from SMS since the free BMW M3 game has come close to being a sim. SMS have put together a quality team of coders plus the addition of Ben Collins and Nick Hamilton to sort out the car handling should result in a great simulation.

Also, if you look at the current roadmap there's not that many assets missing anymore to warrant 12 months of development time.
I agree that 2014 would be nuts to release CARS onto consoles however the physics and FFB need a lot work to match the best in class on the PC which is where Ian wants to be. I should of changed my time frame to 6-8 months.

Shaneus

Will SRW be a complete game, Raceroom/iRacing-style game-as-platform content delivery system or something else?

Still hanging for that complete, all-in-one title for when I just want to kick back with some single-player progression with a good range of cars and tracks. pCARS is too far away for that :(

Spookie

Is netkar pretty solid?

It's SP mode consists of racing against the clock basically, online is fairly dead except for leagues but it will get you access to the Assetto Corsa tech demo (possibly this week). I should say it's physics model is amazing considering it's only a small team, FFB could use some work though.

TJP

Is netkar pretty solid?
Yes it is! Default FFB is a touch too strong and causes clipping on a G27 - halving the default settings usually fixes it. A huge range of tracks can be found on forums such as Radiator Springs Racing. I have 40 tracks installed including the ones that nKP ships with.

Spookie

Just gave rFactor 2 a proper go again after not playing it for a good while. Ended up doing a 25 lap race in a megane from 6am to 9pm using the time acc. Holy shit if that doesn't feel good!

Watching the sun go overhead and shine down on the track, watching the track slowly fill with rubber from the slicks. Damn this engine is nuts I just wish they would bloody finish the thing.

1-D_FTW

Steam Greenlight for Assetto Corsa is up! Go vote for it guys! It also reveals they have a licence for the F40 too. Coo.

So did Kunos put that up there? Because it sometimes feels like community members put something up there. And then even when it gets Greenlit, they simply state they've contacted the developer to see if they want to do it.

I'd so prefer to purchase on Steam. Especially if this meant activations were handled via Steam DRM.

Top Bottom