• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Branson

Historic GT & Touring Cars V1.95 by Team HistoriX for rFactor. The thing with the mod is that you need a cd/dvd for GT Legends (a simbin game, which they use some assets from, car models mainly) to install it, but it's by far my favorite mod/conversion for any sim. They're working on a version for rF2 which doesn't have the dvd check though.

Combine the mod with Targa Florio and it's

Oh ok. Yeah I know about that mod. Wasn't sure though. So many of them for rfactor 1. I never got it since I never had Legends or anything. Good to hear they are making it for RF2.

yogloo

I just managed to find a good setup for my old g27 and I have a pretty capable PC. So I am looking for a sim driving game for PC. Which one should I get? Rfactor 1 or 2? Any other option that is available? Single player is very important to me because I am not sure if my slow internet can handle multiplayer.

These games are kind of scary with the amounts of mods available. Is there a beginner's guide list of must have mods, cars and tracks?

Quoting myself for the new page. Any ideas?

TJP

Is the game modable? I will give the demo a try.
It's possible to get more tracks for GSC, most are ports of SimBin tracks so they are of decent quality and there is an excellent version of the Nurburgring too with several configurations. It's a brilliant sim that is criminally overlooked.

TJP

hoping for some V8 Supercar love :)
I think its common knowledge from SimBin's Gamescom 2012 RaceRoom RE flyer that a Holden V8 Supercar was featured before being pulled down but not before a few people grabbed copies; Shaneus and I talked about it one of the threads here.

Also, can anyone put up the default audio settings? I made some changes that I don't like but can't seem to find a reset to default button.

The audio is orgasmic :D
I'm sure Anthony Monteil will be chuffed to know people love his sound design 8)

Base sound percentage settings from top to bottom of the list:

Stereo

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I think its common knowledge from SimBin's Gamescom 2012 RaceRoom RE flyer that a Holden V8 Supercar was featured before being pulled down but not before a few people grabbed copies; Shaneus and I talked about it one of the threads here.

Wasn't following the game back than but awesome!

I'm sure Anthony Monteil will be chuffed to know people love his sound design 8)

Base sound percentage settings from top to bottom of the list:

Stereo

Much appreciated.

Shaneus

I don't remember that, but it sounds like it was a long time ago! Also, it's important to remember that we're getting (at least) the Falcon "Car of the Future" in pCARS. Possibly the Commodore as well.

Holy crap, SMS have a license for Merc as well, yes? If they could get one for Nissan and (I guess) Volvo, we could replicate the cars in the 2013/2014 V8 Supercars series.

TJP

I don't remember that, but it sounds like it was a long time ago! Also, it's important to remember that we're getting (at least) the Falcon "Car of the Future" in pCARS. Possibly the Commodore as well.
It was ages ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40826982&postcount=1178

Holy crap, SMS have a license for Merc as well, yes? If they could get one for Nissan and (I guess) Volvo, we could replicate the cars in the 2013/2014 V8 Supercars series.
And they'd need to create V8 powered versions of the specific cars but its more than doable. With Assetto Corsa open to modding, I wouldn't be surprised to see Aussie touring cars appear in that sim too.

yogloo

I just played game stock car 2012.
Holy mother of god.
I have never ever played a racing game this like this. Everything seems to be so "correct."

TJP

I just played game stock car 2012.
Holy mother of god.
I have never ever played a racing game this like this. Everything seems to be so "correct."
There is little doubt by those who've played GSC that Reiza created something special. VirtualR posted an extremely short but fantastic article about the telemetry for the GSC Mini Challange being nearly identical to that of the real car (I don't recall the circuit):

221520_10151126097602743_1210099457_o.jpg

I don't know how other sims fare on the real vs virtual scale but I was very impressed when the telemetry graph for the Mini was first posted. Reiza's other sim, Formula Truck, is also highly regarded plus an official Ayrton Senna sim has also been announced.

That RPM telemetry is pretty neat. The real driver looks like he's powershifting, but the revs also spike downwards more when clutched as well. Cool stuff.

markao

That V8 car is not running by an official Mercedes team and it is also not included in the pCARS Mercedes license deal, so doubt we will see it, at least any time soon, in pCARS.

Megasoum

Banned
All right guys... Now that I have a proper working racing wheel, time to reinstall GSC! Last time I played I was still on my old Fanatec PWTS that wouldn't keep its center position.

Anybody knows if there's a Mosport or Road Atlanta available for GSC? I don't see any on NoGrip but I dunno if theres tracks available somewhere else on the web.

Shaneus

That V8 car is not running by an official Mercedes team and it is also not included in the pCARS Mercedes license deal, so doubt we will see it, at least any time soon, in pCARS.
I know. Doesn't stop me wanting it in there, though :p

So, to go briefly OT for a minute... who's played the GT(6) Academy demo with a wheel yet? I have to say, the FFB isn't amazing on it but the game itself feels a hell of a lot more realistic with some nice weight transfer and suspension simulation going on. Definitely more advanced than 5 IMO. Will have to play it back to back with GSC to see how it compares.

All right guys... Now that I have a proper working racing wheel, time to reinstall GSC! Last time I played I was still on my old Fanatec PWTS that wouldn't keep its center position.

Anybody knows if there's a Mosport or Road Atlanta available for GSC? I don't see any on NoGrip but I dunno if theres tracks available somewhere else on the web.

I haven't seen either of those, sorry. There seems to be a fair bit of track conversion going on right now, so hopefully they'll show up sometime soon. Both are mega, obviously.

Megasoum

Banned
Dunno if it's me who'S dumb but I can't find where to put my cd-key lol...

I downloaded the demo from the site and I have a "Play Now" and a "Purchase" option in the launcher but that's it...

TJP

I couldn't find these either but a Google search for GSC tracks will return a website with plenty more to choose from 8)

Dunno if it's me who'S dumb but I can't find where to put my cd-key lol...

I downloaded the demo from the site and I have a "Play Now" and a "Purchase" option in the launcher but that's it...

I think you'll get the serial prompt when the demo expires after an hour. Just go about your business until then :)

Megasoum

Banned
ARGHHHHH... the download was at like 80-90% and it stopped with that message...

GSC2012_V120_Digital_Setup-1.bin The download was taking too long and was stopped by the network.

WTF?

They have 2 mirrors on the site...one is going at like 400k/sec and the other one is completely down....

On a different subject, I wish more racing games would allow multiple bindings for each actions. For example I'd love to be able to assign both my paddles and my sequential shifter for upshift and down shift... I can work around that by using joy2key and bind it to keyboard keys but it's a hastle.

Edit: Well fuck... So I tried at least 4 times tonight to download the files but every single time the download stops around 90% and the server won't allow resume... Fuck that, I spent the whole night trying to download a 2 gig game, this is ridiculous.

ARGHHHHH... the download was at like 80-90% and it stopped with that message...

WTF?

They have 2 mirrors on the site...one is going at like 400k/sec and the other one is completely down....

On a different subject, I wish more racing games would allow multiple bindings for each actions. For example I'd love to be able to assign both my paddles and my sequential shifter for upshift and down shift... I can work around that by using joy2key and bind it to keyboard keys but it's a hastle.

Edit: Well fuck... So I tried at least 4 times tonight to download the files but every single time the download stops around 90% and the server won't allow resume... Fuck that, I spent the whole night trying to download a 2 gig game, this is ridiculous.

That really blows. Not fun at all.

I found a different host for you, and also a torrent file. Give either of these a shot.

http://sim-racing-evolution.fr/downloads/root_hidden/GSC/GSC2012_Digital_Setup.exe
http://sim-racing-evolution.fr/downloads/root_hidden/GSC/GSC2012_Digital_Setup-1.bin
http://sim-racing-evolution.fr/downloads/root_hidden/GSC/GSC2012_Digital_Setup-2.bin

http://sim-racing-evolution.fr/downloads/root_hidden/GSC/GSC2012_Digital_Setup.torrent

Megasoum

Banned

Yeah I found that torrent late last night before going to bed. It was really slow but it downloaded overnight. I installed this morning and it worked fine (it wasn't the latest version but I was able to download the patch on the official site)... Now I got the game registered and up to date. Ready to go for tonight!

TJP

I'm surprised Reiza haven't gotten their download links sorted out as the downloading issue was reported on the official GSC forums some time ago. It might be the 2013 version is releasing soon; when GSC 2012 version was released, the original version became difficult to find and download.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm surprised Reiza haven't gotten their download links sorted out as the downloading issue was reported on the official GSC forums some time ago. It might be the 2013 version is releasing soon; when GSC 2012 version was released, the original version became difficult to find and download.

Wait there's a 2013 version coming soon? Is it a free upgrade like the 2011->2012? Do we know what's new?

TJP

Wait there's a 2013 version coming soon? Is it a free upgrade like the 2011->2012? Do we know what's new?
Here is an annoucement from May: http://www.bsimracing.com/reiza-studios-announcements-and-updates/

We have been getting a lot of requests for a development update on the Ayrton Senna project. It´s been quite a while since our announcement of the license so we figure it´s time for some news.

What we can say is that we are still developing the game. This is a very ambitious project, which has grown even bigger in scope relative to our original plans. This in turn implicates big challenges from development and licensing perspectives, which as a consequence reflects on the budget required - we are working hard and making slow but steady progress on all these fronts.

This might be a little vague but it´s the best we can offer at this moment. We hope that towards the end of the year we´ll have some more specific news to share.

With this said we do have further interesting news in store for 2013, which we´ll talk about next.

We are working hard to improve our Tupi project, which englobes both Game Stock Car, Formula Truck plus other related content. Work is being done on every dev front to push the envelope and improve the whole experience to a new level.

Though we cannot confirm a date just yet, all these base improvements will be made into a 2013 season release for Formula Truck, which will also include some extra tracks. Like GSC2012 last year, this will be free to all owners of the original Formula Truck.

These developments and more will likely also find their way into a new GSC - though we have not yet defined the format of this new package yet. We can advance that this won´t be a free update to current GSC

We have a lot of new exciting content coming up. This includes a very *big* historical track, to go along some very interesting historical cars...

We have some smaller things included in this package as well, though not any less exciting :)

We are very much looking foward to share more on the new stuff soon, and while the focus for these 2013 releases are still very much grounded on the brazilian racing scene, we have no doubts that every simracer will be able to find something to be thrilled with them.

Picture from June 2013:

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah ok, really not saying much. Too bad I really don't have much interest in the truck game. It looks like it's well made but it's just not my kind of racing.

Shaneus

Picture from June 2013:
Oh man, from the shrunken NeoGAF version of that picture, I thought it looked like some kind of rally track :/

Is that la Sarthe? It kind of looks a little hilly and that road on the lower left confuses me somewhat.

DD

Oh man, from the shrunken NeoGAF version of that picture, I thought it looked like some kind of rally track :/

Is that la Sarthe? It kind of looks a little hilly and that road on the lower left confuses me somewhat.

Interlagos. ;)

Shaneus

Interlagos. ;)
Oh, nice.

Man, I'm so glad there's a team of people like Reiza who are essentially just super-enthusiastic modders who are even able to get something like a license to work with Ayrton Senna's name and image. Hopefully that propels them into the spotlight.

TJP

Man, I'm so glad there's a team of people like Reiza who are essentially just super-enthusiastic modders who are even able to get something like a license to work with Ayrton Senna's name and image. Hopefully that propels them into the spotlight.
I cannot speak for Reiza but I think they're well above being 'super-enthusiastic modders' although that is exactly how many of the sim development teams (e.g. Blimey!/Slightly Mad and SimBin) start out. FWIW, I don't believe you were giving Reiza a backhaded compliment either. With the release of GSC, Reiza have used isiMotor2 better than any other development team. Hopefully Reiza are granted the use of isiMotor 2.5 (AKA rFactor 2) for the Ayrton Senna game.

Shaneus

I cannot speak for Reiza but I think they're well above being 'super-enthusiastic modders' although that is exactly how many of the sim development teams (e.g. Blimey!/Slightly Mad and SimBin) start out. FWIW, I don't believe you were giving Reiza a backhaded compliment either. With the release of GSC, Reiza have used isiMotor2 better than any other development team. Hopefully Reiza are granted the use of isiMotor 2.5 (AKA rFactor 2) for the Ayrton Senna game.
Oh, there wasn't anything negative intended about what I said at all and I didn't mean it as a sleight on them at all. I guess I was referring to how that as a racing dev, they're still very much the youngest and primarily made their name as being (incredibly talented, obviously) modders of the original rFactor (or possibly GPL) prior to GSC etc... although I could well be completely wrong. That was just my understanding.

In other words, I more meant for it to sound like "for a bunch of guys who haven't been developing racing games for years, they're doing a really fucking good job... better than a lot (if not all) of the seasoned developers" :)

TJP

So what is the best Forza/GT replacement on PC with singleplayer progression similar to what they do?
Most PC sims don't feature a career mode or a massive car roster - that's where MS and Sony's development money helps. A modern PC title with what you're after would be NFS: Shift or Unleashed with the 'community mod' and 'polish tyre mod' from NoGrip installed will fit the bill nicely; decent amount of cars, tracks, night racing, circuit and street racing, drag racing and drifting plus with the mods installed, physics straight from GTR 2 (both NFS games utilise the isiMotor2). Unleashed also has the FIA GT 1 & 3 series licences 8)

Mods are easy to install and you can find other cars (such as spyder versions of certain cars) and the ability to unlock the LE version of Unleashed.

Seanspeed

Banned
So what is the best Forza/GT replacement on PC with singleplayer progression similar to what they do?
Nothing really.

GT and Forza are pretty unique. They are extremely high budget, super high content/feature games that PC sim developers just cant match. They can make games that drive and look great, but they cant create a ton of content on their own and the single player career-aspects tend to be pretty barebones if there even is one.

I've always seen PC sims as DIY games. You are given the tools, its up to you to make something with them. You can do single-player races, earn money to buy other cars and whatnot, but its not usually much like GT/Forza. You'll find more 'championship' series sort of stuff, though, as you tend to get more familiar with individual cars in a proper sim.

I haven't played the new batch of PC sims(rFactor 2, pCars, Assetto Corsa), but I know they're basically all unfinished games. I've never tried it, but I've heard GT Legends has a decent career mode.

This probably isn't all too helpful, I just kind of want to manage your expectations a bit.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well continuing on with that, y'all are more up-to-date on this stuff than I am:

Where are all the modders at nowadays? I've been reading that rFactor 2 isn't quite getting the support that was expected. Where have they gone?

I'm getting back into PC gaming here in a couple weeks and I'm a little depressed at the state of PC sims at the moment. There's some beautiful, fun stuff around, but its mostly all unfinished.

I really don't want to do the whole iRacing thing. Its expensive and really limited. What else is there that's modern and available?

Well continuing on with that, y'all are more up-to-date on this stuff than I am:

Where are all the modders at nowadays? I've been reading that rFactor 2 isn't quite getting the support that was expected. Where have they gone?

I'm getting back into PC gaming here in a couple weeks and I'm a little depressed at the state of PC sims at the moment. There's some beautiful, fun stuff around, but its mostly all unfinished.

I really don't want to do the whole iRacing thing. Its expensive and really limited. What else is there that's modern and available?

Well you sort of answered it, rF2 and Assetto Corsa (both presumably the future of moddable sims) are not done/not out. That said, I'm not sure we're going to see the mod scene ever get as huge as it once was. Not anytime soon, I mean.

That said again, just about everything that is moddable are getting mods made for them.

iRacing, rF2, RaceRoom, Game Stock Car, Formula Truck, pCARS,, AC tech demo are what's in my regular rotation of what I'd call modern, or at least new to market. There's plenty of "old" stuff I occasionally play too. rF mods, GTR2 mods, RACE 07, RBR, etc.

Let me just say this to you Sean, yes iRacing is expensive, but I really think it would be right in your wheelhouse. I know you liked doing a lot of public lobby Forza racing, and this is just about everything you could hope multiplayer racing to be. I'm certainly not saying it's perfect, but it's just about as good as it can be. Sign up here for 3 month promo (wait until you get your PC obviously). You asked where are all the modders? A lot of them, and their market are playing iRacing.

Watevaman

I just finished a 10 lap race at Sebring in GTR2 and yep, still my favorite "racing" sim. Everything felt awesome. Gonna upload the footage in the morning, as it's late.

TJP

I just finished a 10 lap race at Sebring in GTR2 and yep, still my favorite "racing" sim. Everything felt awesome. Gonna upload the footage in the morning, as it's late.
GTR 2 is quite possibly SimBin's (and Blimey!/SMS's) best sim to date as it has everything a sim needs from a great car (i.e. Ferrari, Porsche & Lamborghini) and track list to dynamic day and night cycles, weather and lots of mods.

Top Bottom