• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

TJP

I'm likely to be the only person on GAF to have bought MotoGP '13 but it's available now as GMG have issued me a key and Steam is downloading 5.2GB of files 8)

I noted the pre-order price of $20 with a discount code has changed to an RRP $39.95! I'm sure in 6 months it'll be a $12 title like the SBK series are.

I'm likely to be the only person on GAF to have bought MotoGP '13 but it's available now as GMG have issued me a key and Steam is downloading 5.2GB of files 8)

I noted the pre-order price of $20 with a discount code has changed to an RRP $39.95! I'm sure in 6 months it'll be a $12 title like the SBK series are.

You're not alone, mate. Thanks for reminding me!

I have my code in an email so i need to redeem that today so i can blast about badly on motorbikes while watching Le Mans this weekend. Nice.

Just bought Game Stock Car 2012, what and incredible game it is.

Anyone here play regularly? doesn't seem like much of an online community when I went to the lobby.

Anyone here play regularly? doesn't seem like much of an online community when I went to the lobby.

Fist bump. Grab yourself some converted tracks from here.

I play regularly... hot lapping, and AI races. For me personally, iRacing is my multiplayer go-to, and everything else gets played offline. I think there are pockets of people from various forums that play online, but you'll have to dig around for those. Maybe one of the other guys can point you in the right direction.

Branson

Holy shit. Just got a great deal for iracing since I haven't been signed up for a couple of months. $50 for a year is pretty good. Anyone else get it?

TJP

Congrats on making the right choice to support Reiza Studios. The largest online community can be found at RaceDepartment along with the official GSC support forum.

bee

That skateboard mod is slick. Kicking myself for ignoring it for months.

Picked up a pair of 65a bushings for 9.07 (with shipping) from riptide. Based on my short impressions, I can see where some people might like it even stronger. And even more would like it softer. But I have both in there and I think it's pretty good. If I had to rechoose, I'd possibly have gone with 2X 62.5a, but it's pretty sweet nonetheless. I think I was initially turned off by the mod because they called it "Even stiffer brake mod". But those bushings are so squishy, it's like they were designed for this very purpose.

good shout on that mod, hadn't heard of it until you posted it. got some myself, got a pair of 62.5a and a pair of 65a, using a wheeled chair a single 62.5a seems sufficient really and it's a big upgrade from the stock brake mod

Arucardo

Where did you get this deal ?! I just let my account expire, but I would jump on it for that price.

I can send you mine if it's not account specific. I'll be in the military for the next 9-12 months starting next month so not much use to me right now ;)

I'll pm the code if you still want one.

Addnan

Does anyone know an approximate date that Assetto Corsa will be on Steam to purchase? Really want to try it, looks so good.

I can send you mine if it's not account specific. I'll be in the military for the next 9-12 months starting next month so not much use to me right now ;)

I'll pm the code if you still want one.

:( Best of luck, and don't forget to GAF every now and again :)

1-D seems to have been an E3 causality. I hope you're OK, fella.

Sim-GAF's ranks are thin...

Megasoum

Banned
I just realized something... Is it me or was Codemasters not at E3 at all?

If I remember correctly they did confirm F1 2013 at some point and T4RG4 was talking about it on twitter (last time I checked a couple of weeks ago anyway).... It's getting late for having absolutely zero information about the game...

TJP

To anyone who has played it does feel as good as it looks?
Yep, Assetto Corsa is fantastic and is my most anticipated sim based on the tech demo and the brilliance of FVA and nKP. It is worth buying nKP as it too is a fantastic feeling sim with quite a number of user created tracks.

Shaneus

I just realized something... Is it me or was Codemasters not at E3 at all?

If I remember correctly they did confirm F1 2013 at some point and T4RG4 was talking about it on twitter (last time I checked a couple of weeks ago anyway).... It's getting late for having absolutely zero information about the game...
Nah it's not... I don't think we heard anything about 2012 until about August or something. But honestly, there's no way in hell I'm even going to download a demo of it. Codemasters screwed the pooch one last time.

Megasoum

Banned
Nah it's not... I don't think we heard anything about 2012 until about August or something. But honestly, there's no way in hell I'm even going to download a demo of it. Codemasters screwed the pooch one last time.

Yeah I was looking at the official 2012 forums where obviously everybody is talking about 2013 lol and people are saying we're supposed to hear more about the game around the "End of june"... Coincidence, the British GP is June 28-30...

Shaneus

Yeah I was looking at the official 2012 forums where obviously everybody is talking about 2013 lol and people are saying we're supposed to hear more about the game around the "End of june"... Coincidence, the British GP is June 28-30...
Did you manage to find when information was actually released? I'm curious.

Megasoum

Banned
Did you manage to find when information was actually released? I'm curious.

About late june? No.. Didn't want to stay on that forum for too long...it's dangerous lol.

Saw that in a thread asking if they were gonna be at E3 and where the Codemaster CM said "Nopppppe".

Shaneus

About late june? No.. Didn't want to stay on that forum for too long...it's dangerous lol.

Saw that in a thread asking if they were gonna be at E3 and where the Codemaster CM said "Nopppppe".
I'm surprised... you'd think they would've had time to change the splash screen from "2011" to "2012".

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
SOOOOOOOOOOooo... best G27 Pedals' mod out there for less €60?
When I say pedal, I mean BRAKE. I play with socks on, shoes off.

Shaneus

GTEYE $30usd, free shipping from AU (takes a while though), not too stiff to be shoes only/mounted.
That's funny... only took me two days ;)

Wait, that Bodnar cable... that basically converts the pedals from being G27/whatever passthrough directly to USB? And most games see that without a problem? For ~$40 that seems like a bargain.

That's funny... only took me two days ;)

Wait, that Bodnar cable... that basically converts the pedals from being G27/whatever passthrough directly to USB? And most games see that without a problem? For ~$40 that seems like a bargain.

Yeah, it was originally conceived to provide greater resolution to pedals by bypassing Logitec's interface/software, which it does. 1024 vs 255 points, if I'm not mistaken, and it does tend to show up in lap times.

Of course it's also widely used to pair G2x pedals with different wheels. For example, DFGT and G27 pedals, or G27 pedals and a Fanatec wheel.

The lone caveat being it will not work with the PS3.

Leo Bodnar makes all kinds of trick electronics for sims, including his own wheel now.

DigiProst made an interesting video regarding the Bodnar mod and the Nixim hard spring mod which is similar to GTEYE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DioLUnzJLrU

Leo Bodnar makes great products and his wheels are apparently sublime. Niels Heusinkveld (from Reiza Studios and other projects) driving using a Bodnar wheel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJgdfd1r3IA

I really like Niels' YT channel. That latest video which you linked to really shows the kind of torque that Bodnar wheel is putting out.

Shaneus

Now that I have an Android device, I recall people here mentioning apps available for it to act as a digital dash/tacho or something. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Anyone here thinking of getting the new NASCAR game? The developer has a good record (when they are really trying) and despite not enjoying watching NASCAR on TV due to the... culture... the game actually looks to make it really engaging. I've watched a lot of videos on youtube which range form dumbass to good players, and occasionally someone who seems to actually play a good amount of racers giving commentary (that guy also has career mode vids). From watching videos it doesn't seem like the most sim racer in the world, but it probably falls at least DiRT level. I'm going to get it and kind of hope I'm not alone.

Tried the MotoGP 13 demo and while I enjoyed it (especially like the helmet cam, more games need this), I don't think I'll buy it anywhere near asking price, if at all. It's the exact same issue I brought up earlier in this thread, where I play for a little and then it seems like I completely lose focus. It doesn't help that I really don't like the way bikes control with a controller.
Yeah even though the wheel range is subtle I wish you could control lean and steering on separate sticks in bike games.

Watevaman

Ferrari Trofeo Pirelli (on that list from the same devs) was definitely one of my favorite sims on PS3. Solid FFB and while it didn't look the best, it drove pretty well for a company I'd never heard of. There was a nice attention to detail, like if you stopped when it was raining you could hear the pattering of the rain and the whir of the wiper motor as it moved. Was definitely a good game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Also this isn't about a sim but I got Trackmania Stadium and it surprises me how easy it is to get top 50 in the country and even first in my state when I set myself to learn a track. I only have to apply myself a little bit, so I'm feeling like I could easily become a global top player with some investment. Is the real scene in the Canyon title now or is the claim of it being an esports game just laughable?

The structure of the game is absolutely brilliant for competing time trials, it's just in a arcade (yet still skillful) style of play. It is apparently a very popular series so I was expecting more real challengers than a global top 100. I mean I have played racers a long time and often find watching others play them frustrating because they make such foolish decisions, but I don't think I'm nearly as good as these rankings suggest.

dex3108

I don't know if this is right thread for this but Codemasters is teasing something interesting

https://twitter.com/Rich_Eddy/status/349815835679916032

BNrJrwBCAAAD3Oa.jpg:large

Addnan

They had a survey about rally games several months ago. I hope its a real rally game and not that pathetic attempt at whatever was Showdown.

Shaneus

They had a survey about rally games several months ago. I hope its a real rally game and not that pathetic attempt at whatever was Showdown.
CMR2 port to iOS? Re-release on PC or possibly HD version on consoles? I can't make out the name on the side window, but I'm sure that's the cover car used (as well as the font and colours, obviously) for CMR2.0.

Edit: Actually, that says Grist and McRae on the windows, 100%. This is good!
gsBqvMwl.jpg

Ahhh CMR2.0. Codemasters' best work. Are they indicating that they recognise this and are using it as the inspiration for Dirt 4, or is this just some shitty HD release?

Shaneus

Ahhh CMR2.0. Codemasters' best work. Are they indicating that they recognise this and are using it as the inspiration for Dirt 4, or is this just some shitty HD release?
I think you have an adjective or two misplaced. I think you meant "shitty Dirt 4" and "some HD release".

Kilrathi

I want to get back into sim racing. I haven't really touch a sim since the days of Nascar Racing 4/2002/2003 (RIP Papyrus). Since my old wheel (logitech wing man wheel) is from the days of the gameport, I need to get a new wheel with a stick shift, however since i'm still in college (going for my second degree after a change of mind after finishing 2 years in IT), what would be best wheel with a stick shift that I can mount on my desk (with the draw its about 6 inches thick). Thanks

Shaneus

I want to get back into sim racing. I haven't really touch a sim since the days of Nascar Racing 4/2002/2003 (RIP Papyrus). Since my old wheel (logitech wing man wheel) is from the days of the gameport, I need to get a new wheel with a stick shift, however since i'm still in college (going for my second degree after a change of mind after finishing 2 years in IT), what would be best wheel with a stick shift that I can mount on my desk (with the draw its about 6 inches thick). Thanks
Fuck, now I want to play IndyCar Racing (with Paul Page, from Papyrus! I still remember that voiceover... and how fucking good that game looked at the time).

Top Bottom