• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Fuck, now I want to play IndyCar Racing (with Paul Page, from Papyrus! I still remember that voiceover... and how fucking good that game looked at the time).

Papy's IndyCar games, and Geoff Crammond's GP2 completely blew my mind. A friend of mine's dad had a wheel setup (that alone was like wtf, a wheel in your house?!), and I what I saw just floored me. An exact digital representation of these racing series I loved so much?! I don't know if everyone has a video game epiphany moment, but that was certainly mine. Games were just games up until that point.

I want to get back into sim racing. I haven't really touch a sim since the days of Nascar Racing 4/2002/2003 (RIP Papyrus). Since my old wheel (logitech wing man wheel) is from the days of the gameport, I need to get a new wheel with a stick shift, however since i'm still in college (going for my second degree after a change of mind after finishing 2 years in IT), what would be best wheel with a stick shift that I can mount on my desk (with the draw its about 6 inches thick). Thanks

You're going to have a hard time fitting any wheel over desk drawer. Best bet is to take the drawer out when playing if that's possible. Wheels? Logitech's stuff is a good range to look at. Driving force pro, G25, G27 - new, used whatever fits your price range. DFGT's shifting is sequential only, while the Gs have H patterns too. Fanatec has good stuff as well, but I'm going to guess that'll jump out of your price range pretty quickly.

Shaneus

Papy's IndyCar games, and Geoff Crammond's GP2 completely blew my mind. A friend of mine's dad had a wheel setup (that alone was like wtf, a wheel in your house?!), and I what I saw just floored me. An exact digital representation of these racing series I loved so much?! I don't know if everyone has a video game epiphany moment, but that was certainly mine. Games were just games up until that point.
Yup. I never had that same wheel experience, but seeing IndyCar running on a 486 for the first time with *textures* and a *voice over* blew my mind. I'd spend all day watching the replays because they looked just like TV. After watching the intro videos on YT, it's still damn impressive.

Sorry if this crushes some hopes and dreams :p
(The CMR game is for iOS)
http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/26/colin-mcrae-rally-appears-on-itunes-based-on-classic-racer/
Called it :/ But maybe it'll be okay... and at least be better* than Lucid's iOS game.

*Better = less disappointing.

I was suggesting that if Dirt 4 was like CMR2.0, that would be better than CMR2.0 in HD. I already played CMR2.0 in HD on my PC years ago...
Fair call. I was more thinking same cars/tracks, but with HD textures and improved modelling. I'd kill for a game that has older cars in it like that... but modernised so it actually looks current.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
How is TD: Ferrari Racing Legends? I saw a review for the console version and they said the AI is so dumb they sometimes stopped in the middle of a race and waited for all the cars to pass them so they could try to have fun easily passing them all again, and that was on pro difficulty. It was #2 on my wishlist because I love Ferrari but if the AI is that shitty on PC as well it will be down several spots.

How is TD: Ferrari Racing Legends? I saw a review for the console version and they said the AI is so dumb they sometimes stopped in the middle of a race and waited for all the cars to pass them so they could try to have fun easily passing them all again, and that was on pro difficulty. It was #2 on my wishlist because I love Ferrari but if the AI is that shitty on PC as well it will be down several spots.

Amar claims it's fantastic, and yells at us all the time for not believing him. It's in my wishlist, hoping it'll show up in the Summer Sale.

amar212

AI is shitty sometimes, there are glitches everywhere, there is no pitstops or rain, game is far from being polished.. but it is a great game IMO. Feel of driving is phenomenal and some challenges are nothing but stellar.

Find the thread (I am on the phone so I can't post links easily) and read some of the overviews there, unfortunately I am one of the rare people who got the game and focused on its positives.

Arucardo

For what it's worth, I also love the Test Drive Ferrari game. It's not exactly a sim but I did find the physics really enjoyable. If you can find it for cheap it's totally worth getting in my opinion.

Addnan

I bought TD Ferrari the other day when amazon had it in sale. Haven't played much, but when your turn the car the whole car kinda starts turning if that makes any sense. Doesn't feel like you are turning the front wheels and then the car is turning. It's like the whole car just starts rotating. Kinda hard to explain.

Watevaman

I bought TD Ferrari the other day when amazon had it in sale. Haven't played much, but when your turn the car the whole car kinda starts turning if that makes any sense. Doesn't feel like you are turning the front wheels and then the car is turning. It's like the whole car just starts rotating. Kinda hard to explain.

Yeah, as much as amar says it doesn't have Shift physics, it has the same general feeling to me. It's not as bad as Shift, though, and it feels like you have a good amount of control.

Arucardo

I know what you mean, the SHIFT games by SMS (same dev as TDF) caught a lot of flack for that. SHIFT 1 was a horrible experience for me, SHIFT 2 wasn't as bad and TDF feels better than SHIFT 2, to me at least.

Kilrathi

You're going to have a hard time fitting any wheel over desk drawer. Best bet is to take the drawer out when playing if that's possible. Wheels? Logitech's stuff is a good range to look at. Driving force pro, G25, G27 - new, used whatever fits your price range. DFGT's shifting is sequential only, while the Gs have H patterns too. Fanatec has good stuff as well, but I'm going to guess that'll jump out of your price range pretty quickly.

Thanks I figure the draw would be a problem but didn't know how big the clamps can go these days. Right now I'm looking at the Logitech G27 kit or a Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 kit anything I should watch out for on any of those sits.

The clamp on the GT3 is not good, it really should be hard mounted.

Logitech has a better solution in that respect but as far as choosing between the G27 and GT3...it's not easy, a heavier belt driven wheel + loadcell brake vs a cheaper but faster responding gear driven wheel.

bee

gonna buy one of these buttkicker gamer 2 subs to finish off my setup, anyone got experience with them? having trouble finding a place that has them in stock in the UK tho

Addnan

Buying sim games is becoming like a drug. I find something new and I need it :/ I hate you guys.

Someone linked the demo for rfactor 2 in the other thread, played it, now I want to buy. £29.99!

Addnan

Playing a bit of Raceroom. Maybe I am being a complete idiot. I don't know how to play single player or multiplayer. I can only do track test. I don't see an option to buy them modes in the store :/? They are greyed out.

edit: I guess they are still in early testing?

Enjoying the game though.

Playing a bit of Raceroom. Maybe I am being a complete idiot. I don't know how to play single player or multiplayer. I can only do track test. I don't see an option to buy them modes in the store :/? They are greyed out.

edit: I guess they are still in early testing?

Enjoying the game though.

Yep, that stuff isn't in the game yet. You can add AI to a hotlap session I think. Check the settings. The whole menu system is a headache. I'm still not sure what the deal is with amateur/pro driving model. Why does it turn itself off? I don't even know...

TJP

Do you play Raceroom much? Enjoy it?
I really like RR-RE. Physics are what SimBin are looking for: it's easy to drive yet hard to master. Graphically RR-RE isn't as sublime looking as Assetto Corsa or pCARS however SimBin are trying to make their product as accessable for as wide a range of PC's as possible. The sound in RR-RE has been the benchmark since release and it's great as a fan of all racing sims to see other developers focus on sound more. I'd love to see weather and night racing again in a SimBin release but we have to wait and see what happens. I'm sure the working headlights are a hint at something.

Multiplayer is in development and there are more cars and tracks on the way with some nice additions 8) People have to be patient as SimBin are a small studio and RR-RE isn't a reskinned Race '07 - it's being built from scratch.

Question for g25/g27 owners: how noisy is the wheel? I've a newborn son (who'll be driving his first go-kart in 3 years and 49 weeks) and I'm finding that opposite locking with my cheap-n-cherful Driving Force Pro wakes him up (the internal gears are quite loud when rotating at speed).

Are the g25/g27 wheels any better?

Yup. I never had that same wheel experience, but seeing IndyCar running on a 486 for the first time with *textures* and a *voice over* blew my mind. I'd spend all day watching the replays because they looked just like TV.
I will admit something.... I once watched a full-distance AI-only race on Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix, just because there wasn't any racing on TV that weekend. What a sad pathetic childhood.

I will admit something.... I once watched a full-distance AI-only race on Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix, just because there wasn't any racing on TV that weekend. What a sad pathetic childhood.

Any entertainment is entertaining. I loved bugging Street Fighter II to leave two AIs fighting each other.

Question for g25/g27 owners: how noisy is the wheel? I've a newborn son (who'll be driving his first go-kart in 3 years and 49 weeks) and I'm finding that opposite locking with my cheap-n-cherful Driving Force Pro wakes him up (the internal gears are quite loud when rotating at speed).

Are the g25/g27 wheels any better?

First of all, congratulations! Secondly, I own none of the wheels in question, so you may be better served by someone who does. That said, this is my understanding:

The G27's helical gears are much quieter than the gearing in the G25 which would be similar to a DFP, however the G27 often suffers from clunking/rattling sounds when things get bumpy. I think that's something that develops over time, rather than straight out of the box. Could be wrong. The G25 doesn't clunk, but like I said has noisy gears.

G25/G27 gearing noise comparison video
G27 clunking video

If quiet operation is paramount, I'd suggest considering a Fanatec CSR wheel. The fan is a little louder than you'd like, but at least it's white noise. Check the "bundles" section of their site for G27-like pricing.

CSR noise video

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
How is the RR-RE Bathurst track model in terms of accuracy?

Just downloaded RR-RE today and am playing with a X360 pad and thinking of buying Bathurst and a GT3 car or 2

TJP

How is the RR-RE Bathurst track model in terms of accuracy?

Just downloaded RR-RE today and am playing with a X360 pad and thinking of buying Bathurst and a GT3 car or 2
Bathurst is pretty decent like very nearly all SimBin made tracks; from memory SimBin sent people to Australia to take reference photos etc.

TJP

Gotta say I'm enjoying the Race Room Raceway. Damn good fantasy track.
Plenty more content to come if you already like what you're playing...as a tester with an NDA like a few other NeoGAF members, I can't tell you what is coming but I'm sure there is a 'spoiler' thread on Race Department with a few clues 8)

Kilrathi

The clamp on the GT3 is not good, it really should be hard mounted.

Logitech has a better solution in that respect but as far as choosing between the G27 and GT3...it's not easy, a heavier belt driven wheel + loadcell brake vs a cheaper but faster responding gear driven wheel.

Thanks for info I have to see if I can try them out in person then. I don't mind building a custom mounting block that so it can clamp onto the desk. Not the most ideal solution, I'll figure something out. Always loved doing it your self when it comes to hardware/

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Plenty more content to come if you already like what you're playing...as a tester with an NDA like a few other NeoGAF members, I can't tell you what is coming but I'm sure there is a 'spoiler' thread on Race Department with a few clues 8)

hoping for some V8 Supercar love :)

Also, can anyone put up the default audio settings? I made some changes that I don't like but can't seem to find a reset to default button.

RaceRoom is fun, will some of the new content be free :D?

The audio is orgasmic :D

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
A couple new competitions up on RR-RE if anyone is interested.

Both are Judd V8 @ Hockenheim but one is "Novice" and the other "Amateur". Simbin seems to have taken a leaf out of T10s book with insane auto braking in "Novice" mode.

saladine1

hoping for some V8 Supercar love :)

Also, can anyone put up the default audio settings? I made some changes that I don't like but can't seem to find a reset to default button.

The audio is orgasmic :D

Yep. The Judd BMW sounds fucking ridiculous!
I love the exterior view sounds. It's terrifying.

It's not only the exhaust/engine notes though. I'm absolutely in love with their dog box gear whine and shifting effects. A lot of racers out there have a rather subdued shifting effect going on. Not RaceRoom though. The bagging in of gears and the gearbox oscillation is terrific!

Also, the reverb system is simply top notch.

yogloo

I just managed to find a good setup for my old g27 and I have a pretty capable PC. So I am looking for a sim driving game for PC. Which one should I get? Rfactor 1 or 2? Any other option that is available? Single player is very important to me because I am not sure if my slow internet can handle multiplayer.

These games are kind of scary with the amounts of mods available. Is there a beginner's guide list of must have mods, cars and tracks?

Arucardo

That was nice. Which mod is that?

Historic GT & Touring Cars V1.95 by Team HistoriX for rFactor. The thing with the mod is that you need a cd/dvd for GT Legends (a simbin game, which they use some assets from, car models mainly) to install it, but it's by far my favorite mod/conversion for any sim. They're working on a version for rF2 which doesn't have the dvd check though.

Combine the mod with Targa Florio and it's pure bliss.

EDIT: I've got much better recording software/method now than I did at the time so I might put up some other stuff. Showing off Race 07 (with all the addons) might be worth while. The immersion it has with helmet cam in open wheel cars + trackir is something else compared to most sims.

EDIT 2: Fired up Race07 and made this little clip to show the helmet cam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOqMSxCamLE Not that familiar with the car or the full layout of Brands Hatch, heh.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It's simulating what driving a car would be like in a fantasy world with much different physics. Clearly a sim racer.
Maybe they don't mean sim racer, but racer sim, a simulation of the life of a racer.

It is funny, though. The physics are gamey enough that some races have dynamic track layouts because you don't really need to know what's coming up. Earlier I seriously went "left turn, okay I'll fly in hot... oh, this is a hairpin, no problem, adjusting.... got it."

Top Bottom