• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

TJP

Reads more like a legal minefield to be honest but let's see what happens. I can guarantee that modders will want money from PC and console gamers if monetisation of mods occurs. Paid for community made mods within the PC sim racing world aren't usually well received unless brilliant.

Further, Kunos need a lot of things to occur before thinking about the consoles such as getting the pre-order up for the PC!

That said, I am excited to see what happens in the future as PC only sim makers will likely look at the consoles as another source of revenue if it's viable to do so. The latest GameBurst podcast about the Eurogamer Expo had an interesting section on self-publishing.

987bapkh.gif

TJP

GSC 2013 looks great in gif form!

Any special anti-Aliasing methods used? I hate trying to rid isiMotor games of jaggies. I can never get rid of all of jaggies from line markings despite my best efforts in Nvidia Inspector.

Addnan

Any special anti-Aliasing methods used? I hate trying to rid isiMotor games of jaggies. I can never get rid of all of jaggies from line markings despite my best efforts in Nvidia Inspector.

Downsample from 3840x2160 if you have a decent rig. Best AA method.

I don't do anything fancy for gifs or videos. Just cap the video, and in the case of gifs, resize with mpc-hc (madvr helps here) and gif it with gifcam.

Getting them under 10mb is always tough, which is why almost all the ones I do are stationary camera angles. It really helps with the bitrate, and it's better for looping too.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't actually answer your question. No, just in-game level 2 AA.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Right, stupid question time.

After looking in the F1 2013 thread it mentioned that GSC 2013 is nearly out (Well, if I pre order I would get access to it, it seems). It's quite cheap, it looks nice, I have a DFGT and I like "proper" racing games (rFactor, the Simbin games, etc etc).

Is this a "Why the hell you haven't bought this" moment? I almost feel bad for not buying this before now, make my life harder, GAF.

:)

Yes, this is that moment, and if you're feeling extra frisky, get it the recently updated Formula Truck in a combo deal. FTruck is every bit as fantastic especially if you're interested in something truly different.

Both (although GSC's installer isn't publically available yet) have 60 minute timers on their full installers, so you can try before you buy. Buy and punch the serial in to make it yours.

The game isn't officially out yet, so finding the purchase info isn't entirely apparent at the moment. I think it's supposed to be officially out, and on their site today or tomorrow.

Here are the purchase links provided by them though:

GSC 2013 $24.90 usd
GSC 2013+Formula Truck $39.90 usd

TJP

After looking in the F1 2013 thread it mentioned that GSC 2013 is nearly out (Well, if I pre order I would get access to it, it seems). It's quite cheap, it looks nice, I have a DFGT and I like "proper" racing games (rFactor, the Simbin games, etc etc).

Is this a "Why the hell you haven't bought this" moment? I almost feel bad for not buying this before now, make my life harder, GAF.
If you enjoy the various SimBin releases and rFactor then you'll love GSC 2013. I cannot think of a better rFactor based sim than GSC 2013 and very few other sims can match it's sublime FFB and physics.

Given this is a Reiza made sim, they'll be free updates and additions in the works too.

Branson

Game stock car is pretty good. I had a bit of nostalgia with it when I was thinking this is what the Race Driver/Toca series of games should have turned into. I wish they would have done a discounted upgrade to 13 if you have 12. That bundle looks good though.

Stop It

Game stock car is pretty good. I had a bit of nostalgia with it when I was thinking this is what the Race Driver/Toca series of games should have turned into. I wish they would have done a discounted upgrade to 13 if you have 12. That bundle looks good though.
Oh god, this post.

Ok, you invoked the "Hey, I like TOCA games therefore anything even close to it must be bought" impulse. Bought.

Thanks for the posts everyone, will be trying this out ASAP.

Edit: Bought, and the download link says 7 hours, ah. Is there any alternative mirrors about?

Branson

Oh god, this post.

Ok, you invoked the "Hey, I like TOCA games therefore anything even close to it must be bought" impulse. Bought.

Edit: Bought, and the download link says 7 hours, ah. Is there any alternative mirrors about?

It's mainly the high downforce dtm like stock car part of it. Plus them adding in more series to the game reminds me of the good codemasters back in the day. Physics are good, ai is fine. Not sure on the download links. It's been a while.

Oh god, this post.

TJP put up alt links, but edited his post because I think he thought Reiza might not want them up yet. I don't think it's a big deal at this point.

Here's his cached post (bottom of the page). The links work fine. That site seems to rehost Reiza stuff all the time. It's legit, and faster.

Stop It

It's mainly the high downforce dtm like stock car part of it. Plus them adding in more series to the game reminds me of the good codemasters back in the day. Physics are good, ai is fine. Not sure on the download links. It's been a while.
If that's the case, thanks for pushing me into buying this.

TJP put up alt links, but edited his post because I think he thought Reiza might not want them up yet. I don't think it's a big deal at this point.

Here's his cached post (bottom of the page). The links work fine. That site seems to rehost Reiza stuff all the time. It's legit, and faster.

7 hours down to 40 minutes, much better. Many thanks.

Well, better to pay £16 for this than another episode of Codemasters F1, so I'm hoping it's enjoyable, something it certainly seems like. Can't wait to get driving round some of these tracks, good to have some new and unfamiliar scenery for a serious racer.

TJP

TJP put up alt links, but edited his post because I think he thought Reiza might not want them up yet. I don't think it's a big deal at this point
It was pointed out on Race Department the links supplied in the email sent by Reiza were for paying customers only as GSC 2013 has a 60 minute demo for those without a product key. It would be unfair to people who've paid to have their download held up by those who want to try what remains a 'release candidate' build.

As for the download speeds - they are awful & I was lucky to be downloading when the ROTW was asleep. More download mirrors are needed however Reiza are a tiny developer and I've no idea how costly it is to set-up download mirrors. At the very least, a torrent would have been an excellent alternative method to get the files spread amongst paying customers.

Stick with downloading if you can; GSC 2013 is really worth the effort.

THANK YOU to the generous staff member at Race Department who supplied me with the following download links

Set up exe - https://mega.co.nz/#!FhNRhYhY!aJHzDmcyJ97aD_HE5JwC-xadwnR1IEBW42vxiNs6stA

Set-up 1 bin - https://mega.co.nz/#!doc1Vbob!VBPiUg12ThIhFtsqxzIRSgLIEtx1Yo1OPyG4KLGbKQA

Set-up 2 bin - https://mega.co.nz/#!gs90mQSC!SlU7FF12VLy3LgCd4OaLlTU2smIwP8oQ3WlAkJBc5jk

Set-up 3 bin - https://mega.co.nz/#!Ngt0kTYa!f28xyxN6ogmoHxP2-njyQgIEfYcYoGzs3dVhSrchNFQ

It appears the squeaky wheel gets the most oil!

TJP

Sad thing is Codemasters current DLC plan would see TOCA being a cut down release akin to Dirt 3 with cars and tracks removed and released as DLC packs.

Korezo

I was about to buy GSC2013 right now until I read in the buy page that it includes a 30 mins trial. What trial are they talking about? I'm expecting to own everything in the game forever once purchased, like free online, and access to everything when ever I want. This is no subscription game like iRacing or rFactor right? Is everything available and free once I buy with no subscription?

TJP

I was about to buy GSC2013 right now until I read in the buy page that it includes a 30 mins trial. What trial are they talking about? I'm expecting to own everything in the game forever once purchased, like free online, and access to everything when ever I want. This is no subscription game like iRacing or rFactor right? Is everything available and free once I buy with no subscription?
The trial is exactly that - if you are unsure about GSC you download the sim complete, try it for 60 minutes and if you like what you've played, you can buy a product code from the pop-up menu that appears or enter a code from the e-mail you've received from Reiza's online shop.

There are no ongoing fees once GSC is paid for - you pay once and own forever. Online is free. Make sure you are buying GSC 2013 from here - http://www.game-stockcar.com.br/ and click on the pre-order button and not the 2012 version. As of today, the only way to have access to GSC 2013 is via the download links supplied by Reiza once you pre-ordered.

Korezo

The trial is exactly that - if you are unsure about GSC you download the sim complete, try it for 60 minutes and if you like what you've played, you can buy a product code from the pop-up menu that appears or enter a code from the e-mail you've received from Reiza's online shop.

There are no ongoing fees once GSC is paid for - you pay once and own forever. Online is free. Make sure you are buying GSC 2013 from here - http://www.game-stockcar.com.br/ and click on the pre-order button and not the 2012 version. As of today, the only way to have access to GSC 2013 is via the download links supplied by Reiza once you pre-ordered.

Thanks Downloading now very slowly.

TheBear

Does anyone know what game the V8 Supercars teams use for their simulators? Or what games have all the Aussie tracks?
Also are there any recents rally sims? Seems to be all circuit racing games. Not necessarily a bad thing but a bit if diversity would be nice.

TJP

Does anyone know what game the V8 Supercars teams use for their simulators?
Apparently hardware from here: http://www.simworx.com.au/#!drivers/ch29 and the software looks to be either rFactor Pro or rFactor.. These guys also have V8 Supercars as part of their sim rigs: http://www.racecentre.com/

Or what games have all the Aussie tracks?
None unless you pick up V8 mods for rFactor or SimBin's Race series. iRacing has the Ford V8 Supercar plus laser scanned versions of Phillip Island, Oran Park & soon to be released Bathurst. RaceRoom RE has Bathurst and will likely have at least Holden V8 Supercar based on an old Gamescom picture. Forza 4 has V8 Supercars but no Aussie tracks (and the tyres feel like marshmellows) whilst Forza 5 has Bathurst and most likely V8 Supercars.

Also are there any recents rally sims? Seems to be all circuit racing games. Not necessarily a bad thing but a bit if diversity would be nice.
Richard Burns Rally remains THE rallying sim to own on PC and is VERY well supported. Failing that, you can try the Milestone WRC series or the Codemasters Dirt series both of which aren't anywhere near as realistic as RBR.

Branson

Richard Burns Rally remains THE rallying sim to own on PC and is VERY well supported. Failing that, you can try the Milestone WRC series or the Codemasters Dirt series both of which aren't anywhere near as realistic as RBR.

I assume it works on Windows 7? Ive always wanted to play RBR.

TheBear

Apparently hardware from here: http://www.simworx.com.au/#!drivers/ch29 and the software looks to be either rFactor Pro or rFactor.. These guys also have V8 Supercars as part of their sim rigs: http://www.racecentre.com/

None unless you pick up V8 mods for rFactor or SimBin's Race series. iRacing has the Ford V8 Supercar plus laser scanned versions of Phillip Island, Oran Park & soon to be released Bathurst. RaceRoom RE has Bathurst and will likely have at least Holden V8 Supercar based on an old Gamescom picture. Forza 4 has V8 Supercars but no Aussie tracks (and the tyres feel like marshmellows) whilst Forza 5 has Bathurst and most likely V8 Supercars.

Thanks for the response. Do you know if any of the supercar mod scene has an online community for racing? And which game currently is the best for online racing in general?

Cheers

Korezo

Tried to play GSC 2013 right now for the first time and I can't get passed the enter name screen. When ever I hit enter on name the main menu flickers but it goes back to enter name screen all the time. Any Ideas?

Tried to play GSC 2013 right now for the first time and I can't get passed the enter name screen. When ever I hit enter on name the main menu flickers but it goes back to enter name screen all the time. Any Ideas?

I saw a few people with this problem. Run it as admin. The default install directory is the root of C, which Windows gets grumpy about if your security settings aren't lax.

TJP

Thanks for the response. Do you know if any of the supercar mod scene has an online community for racing? And which game currently is the best for online racing in general?

Cheers
Best online has to be iRacing - you pay a subscription fee plus pay for whatever cars and tracks you want above the base offering. Go here: https://cadillaccupracing.com/ and sign up for a 3 month free promo.

As for the V8 Supecars, I believe there are rFactor leagues running - http://adrenalinfactor.com/ and http://ausfactor.com/ are two of the better known leagues. You may also find Race 07 servers running the various V8 Supercar mods but it's best to join a league as public racing via SimBin's old platforms is a nightmare thanks to idiots with 'skidrow' versions.

If you are looking for something different - but still involving V8 powered tin tops - have a look at Game Stock Car 2013. You won't likely find a better rFactor based sim and it features Brazilian V8 'stock' cars, a camaro road car, 4 F1 cars and Mini Challenge plus a heap of mods.

Watevaman

So, I just got back from the ALMS race at VIR and am going to have to ask you guys: what is the best offering for modern ALMS, preferably a full grid, in a sim?

I'm assuming it's either a mod for rFactor or GTR2, but is there anything in the works that might outdo the old ones?

I'm assuming it's either a mod for rFactor or GTR2, but is there anything in the works that might outdo the old ones?
United Racing Design are working on ALMS for rFactor 2 at the moment. They'll soon be releasing the GT cars (Viper, Aston Martin, BMW, Corvette, Porcshe) and are currently building some open and closed prototypes.

Also, they're currently working on the Le Mans circuit.

Two important points though:
-these are paid-for vehicles, the GT car pack being around $10. Not sure about the prototypes.
-there is no release date at the moment, but the BMW is downloadable if you pre-order the GT car pack.

Edit: here's me racing in the BMW at Lime Rock

Edit 2: and for those of you who've not yet seen ISI's Howston (Lola T70 in all but name) here it is at Croft

Korezo

I saw a few people with this problem. Run it as admin. The default install directory is the root of C, which Windows gets grumpy about if your security settings aren't lax.

Running as administrated fixed that issue but now I have a problem where the game doesn't register a full turn to the right or left when I turn the steering wheel. Right now its impossible for me to make any turn or to even drive out of the pit. I have a G27 and chose that preset in the options. In the game options where it shows the wheels and pedals input the wheel only registers half bar to the right and left when I turn either side. I went to Logitech wheel settings and changed them to 900 and 360 degrees and the game still doesn't register the wheel fully turned to either side. Any suggestions?

Running as administrated fixed that issue but now I have a problem where the game doesn't register a full turn to the right or left when I turn the steering wheel. Right now its impossible for me to make any turn or to even drive out of the pit. I have a G27 and chose that preset in the options. In the game options where it shows the wheels and pedals input the wheel only registers half bar to the right and left when I turn either side. I went to Logitech wheel settings and changed them to 900 and 360 degrees and the game still doesn't register the wheel fully turned to either side. Any suggestions?

If it's what I think it is, try turning off "auto-pit".

@marvelharvey Love the vids. I'll pick that mod up. Looks good.

Korezo

If it's what I think it is, try turning off "auto-pit".

@marvelharvey Love the vids. I'll pick that mod up. Looks good.

It's off, there's some kind of bug with the game, if I run game in admin mode game loads everything fine but wheel doesn't work correctly, if I launch without admin mode wheel works perfect but game locks up at loading screen. I don't know what to do.

TJP

Yeah, I'm loving the BMW so far. Hopefully the Aston/Porsche/Viper GT cars get released very soon, I get the impression we should have them by the end of the month.
Yep, the BMW is a great start to the enduro mod and their T5 DTM mod was excellent too. Hopefully we get more tiptops like the DTM series in PC sims sometime soon - perhaps Kunos's Assetto Corsa as they have both Merc & BMW licences.

Hmm, well you can try turning off UAC in Windows to see if the Logitech software is having hard time communicating with a admin-run program. I'd tell you permanently leave it off, but it's your computer, you can do what you want.

If that's a no-go, whatever issue you're having is probably shared with isiMotor2 games, so expand your searches to rFactor, Race07, etc.

TJP

These things are hilarious after a few minutes of needing to calibrate your brain to them.
Nice gif as always 8) Have you tried the update from Reiza?

Reiza Studios @ Race Department said:
Just to let everyone know that there is a substantial update to the kart physics & AI in line for the official release.

In the meantime, you might want to adjust the realfeelplugin.ini settings for improved / more informative FFB with the karts to the following settings (on the bottom of the file):

[kart1]
MaxForceAtSteeringRack=340.000000
SteeringDamper=11500.000000
FFBMixerRealFeelPercent=100.000000
FrontGripEffect=0.200000
SmoothingLevel=0
Kf=10000.000000
Ks=4.000000
A=1.000000
Kr=8.000000
[kart2]
MaxForceAtSteeringRack=350.000000
SteeringDamper=11500.000000
FFBMixerRealFeelPercent=100.000000
FrontGripEffect=0.200000
SmoothingLevel=0
Kf=10000.000000
Ks=4.000000
A=1.000000
Kr=8.000000

Also make sure to keep your steering rotation within 180º-270º (180º is the realistic setting).

Also F3@Curitiba is a pretty amazing combo.
Everything in GSC 2013 is amazing; I'm floored people are buying shite like F1 2013 over this.

Nice gif as always 8) Have you tried the update from Reiza?

Ooo, I have not. I'll give that a go later. It seems the official release is shaping up to be a fairly substantial patch to 1.0.

Everything in GSC 2013 is amazing; I'm floored people are buying shite like F1 2013 over this.

There are MANY good combos, it's true :)

I wish the best driving games were the most popular, but sadly they're not. Now that's a topic with plenty of room for discussion! I think it's easy to say that money can buy appeal (shiny graphics, licenses), but I don't think these sim devs do nearly enough to adapt and promote their products to at least attempt to get off the island, so to speak.

Watevaman

Man this talk of GSC13 is making me want it, but I wouldn't be able to play it until I get home for xmas break.

And speaking of Xmas, I'm thinking about "asking" for a new wheel. Currently I've got a DFGT on a Playseat, but I'm thinking of getting something like a G27 as an upgrade. Would it be worth the upgrade or would I need to jump to the higher end Fanatecs and/or T500 to feel a real difference?

Top Bottom