• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Shaneus

Man this talk of GSC13 is making me want it, but I wouldn't be able to play it until I get home for xmas break.

And speaking of Xmas, I'm thinking about "asking" for a new wheel. Currently I've got a DFGT on a Playseat, but I'm thinking of getting something like a G27 as an upgrade. Would it be worth the upgrade or would I need to jump to the higher end Fanatecs and/or T500 to feel a real difference?
There's a massive difference between the DFGT and the G27. Trust me, it's worth it.

Man this talk of GSC13 is making me want it, but I wouldn't be able to play it until I get home for xmas break.

And speaking of Xmas, I'm thinking about "asking" for a new wheel. Currently I've got a DFGT on a Playseat, but I'm thinking of getting something like a G27 as an upgrade. Would it be worth the upgrade or would I need to jump to the higher end Fanatecs and/or T500 to feel a real difference?

Personally, I'm waiting to see if this new XO Thrustmaster wheel is PC compatible, and pair that with a shifter and my G25 pedals. If you're mostly interested in remaining a two pedal/paddle guy, maybe that would be a good choice for you as well.

Branson

Ive downloaded the .bins for game stock car 2013 like 3 times already and all of them are corrupted. only downloading like 300 mbs of each. WTF. Ive been using the links reiza gave me on the email. Where do those mega links save to? Ive used those but they always stop for me. Why is this so difficult? Trucks 2013 downloaded and installed fine.

Ive downloaded the .bins for game stock car 2013 like 3 times already and all of them are corrupted. only downloading like 300 mbs of each. WTF. Ive been using the links reiza gave me on the email. Where do those mega links save to? Ive used those but they always stop for me. Why is this so difficult? Trucks 2013 downloaded and installed fine.

Try links in post #3464.

TJP

GSC 2013 review as posted on the WMD forum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXtfCe630p0 3:06 into the video review 'this the best racing sim' - frooglesim

I don't agree with the reviewer with his assertions that GSC is the best racing sim currently available but it is, in my humble opinion, one of the best racing sims ever made. No sim stands clear of any other; they all have their respective strengths and weaknesses.

Everything in GSC 2013 is amazing; I'm floored people are buying shite like F1 2013 over this.

Well, the name doesn't help.

Game Stock Car 2013

Sounds like a generic NASCAR game you would see on a satire (let's play Game StockCar 2013 on the Super PlayFunBox 800!)

Also, Stock Car itself isn't really know outside of Brazil, and F1 is something of an international thing, so there's that.

TJP

Game Stock Car 2013

Sounds like a generic NASCAR game you would see on a satire (let's play Game StockCar 2013 on the Super PlayFunBox 800!)

Also, Stock Car itself isn't really know outside of Brazil, and F1 is something of an international thing, so there's that.
Fair points but Stock Car Brasil is the name of the actual V8 series and none of the factors listed prevented me from downloading the trial version of GSC and then buying it after 30 minutes. I knew not a single thing about the Brazilian Stock Car championship I'm sure plenty of other people here and elsewhere were in the same situtation. The lack of advertising is a real killer along with the horrible download mirrors which haven't helped get the sim to people. Reiza have said the download mirrors will be supplemented with a torrent file for the official release of GSC 2013.

Best of all GSC 2013 gives players 3 different F1 cars to drive with physics and FFB that won't ever be a part of any CM made games..

M1p9Iky.jpg

Branson

Thanks guys. Got the sim up and running and yeah. It's pretty great. Formula truck is weird in a good way. But gsc2013 is on another level.

The old style cars on the ring are super fun. Just moved the ring from my 2012 install over to the locations in 2013.

TJP

Thanks guys. Got the sim up and running and yeah. It's pretty great. Formula truck is weird in a good way. But gsc2013 is on another level.
Another satisfied GSC customer. Hopefully Alan from VVV gets his PC up and running - it's a cracker of a system - and he covers GSC 2013.

The old style cars on the ring are super fun. Just moved the ring from my 2012 install over to the locations in 2013.
All the mods should work fine; the 'ring is one of the best non-Reiza made tracks currently available.

TJP

Not a PC sim per se but Trackmania United Forever is at GMG for $7.49 plus an extra 20% off with coupon "GMG20-GNQYR-URU7M"

The desciption lists '420 progressively difficult tracks' - holy shit!

DD

Not a PC sim per se but Trackmania United Forever is at GMG for $7.49 plus an extra 20% off with coupon "GMG20-GNQYR-URU7M"

The desciption lists '420 progressively difficult tracks' - holy shit!

They're usualy very short tracks though. But it doesnt matter, actually, 'cuz the single player is pretty boring. The game is worth by it's online multiplayer, and that thing is great!

EDIT: the game has a track editor, so there are virtually an infinite number of circuits when you play online.

Game Stock Car 2013

Naming isn't exactly a sim racing strong point :) rFactor? Project CARS? Game Stock Car? iRacing? RACE?

The best names currently used are Italian, so maybe they should all stick with that, or branch out to some other language. In the case of GSC, I would have prefered a catchy Portuguese word or phrase.

Megasoum

Banned
The GSC buying and build distributions is always such a mess. I remember having to download 4-5 times 2012 before I could get a working installer.

I wish they would just get on steam and be done with it.

The GSC buying and build distributions is always such a mess. I remember having to download 4-5 times 2012 before I could get a working installer.

I wish they would just get on steam and be done with it.

I imagine they don't want to give up that 30% or whatever it is, but that would be offset by more sales, not to mention curing their hosting issues. If they don't think they'd be able to recoup that percentage, I'd be fine with that decision. It's just that I don't believe they've given it much consideration (guess).

TJP

A lot of the sim crowd seems to be scared of Steam too. See reaction to Assetto Corsa.
Yes many of the sim crowd are highly conservative and like things their own way hence the dislike for Steam. I've read some quite stange/funny anti-Steam stories on RD when Kunos announced AC was a Steam only release.

As for GSC 2013 being on Steam, I'd be great for Reiza and us however Greenlight voting is a total clusterf**k - it took ages for Assetto Corsa to be greenlit thanks in part to the morons who voted against it (same for iRacing).

Megasoum

Banned
This is something I've noticed over the years as a racing sim and flight sim fan... Hardcore simulation communities are always kinda... "backward"...

This might be due in part to the fact that the average age is higher than other gaming communites (especially for Flight sims) but I think it's mostly the fact that many hardcore "simmers" are not tech savy at all.

The shit I've seen in Flight Sim and Racing forums over the years... omg.

And I don't mean that in an overly negative way either... I can only approve of people who have a passion and are willing to spend thousands of dollars on it (I have the Fanatec bills to prove it lol). It's just a bit jarring when seen from my perspective since I'm not only tech savy and hardcore gamer but I actually work in the game industry so I literally live in that stuff 24/7.

TJP

The shit I've seen in Flight Sim and Racing forums over the years... omg.
I like the fights over how realistic the handling, mechanical and aero grip braking power etc is within a sim largely by people who've never sat their arses in the car, let alone drive the real thing. Most studios have professional drivers give the nod to these aspects yet people sat in front of a monitor and plastic wheel know better 8)

What I also don't understand is the tribalism that has crept into our niche genre. Look at the Twitter feeds of Kunos, ISI, SimBin, Reiza, iRacing etc and they'll either be following each other or communicating via tweets yet many of the people playing sims made by these dev teams refuse to see anything good in anything apart from their chosen sim. It's a shame as there is so many great sims to play!

Watevaman

Yeah, I always thought the whole point of having all these different sims is that so we could enjoy them all. The only time I think I was a fanboy was back when I had GT4 on PS2 and wouldn't touch Forza. I quickly realized after actually playing Forza that different games do different things well and that to get the best of sims you need to play them all.

TJP

For Game Stock Car 2010, 2012 and 2013 owners, Niels from Reiza has suggested to add +fullproc +highprio to the shortcut of GSC (find the shortcut target link and make it read \GSC2013\GSC.exe +fullproc +highprio) as: "With +fullproc +highprio you may see a tiny fps increase but it shouldn't be really significant. It may however reduce micro stutters a bit, which is a nice thing! "

It's an old trick for rFactor and it does work.

What have you guys been playing? F1 2013? Good enough to pick up at full price? Bathurst on iRacing next week, I think. Pretty stoked for that. Crossing my fingers for Ruf too.

Needed to get some FTruck in tonight. Still the smile per minute winner.

99xcu82.gif

Branson

What have you guys been playing? F1 2013? Good enough to pick up at full price? Bathurst on iRacing next week, I think. Pretty stoked for that. Crossing my fingers for Ruf too.

Needed to get some FTruck in tonight. Still the smile per minute winner.

99xcu82.gif

Just game stock car 2013 and FT 2013. Haven't really had the drive to uh, drive anything else like iracing or anything.

TJP

Not a scratch on her! The truck understeers like mad out there on the dirty line, so I tried to spool up some oppo to help me get around. Too much!
It's like the truck did a short happy dance and then moved on like it was nothing 8)

It was quite a brilliant save actually and I'm always impressed how good GSC looks in gif format.

Branson

On the topic of GSC, I hate Interlagos so much. I suck at it and its the first race in most of the Championships on the game.

On the topic of GSC, I hate Interlagos so much. I suck at it and its the first race in most of the Championships on the game.

You wash your mouth out!

I'd imagine that's easily taken care of. Poke around your installation, and Google/Race Department. I know someone brought the rF championship creator to GSC. Make your own championships using whatever tracks you want.

That's something I'd like too, so I'll look into later if you haven't.

It's like the truck did a short happy dance and then moved on like it was nothing 8)

It was quite a brilliant save actually and I'm always impressed how good GSC looks in gif format.

88ljk1r.gif

* Changed gif to be more representative :)

Shaneus

If there's ever a Reiza/GSC/FT OT (I know I was going to create it, but eh) that .gif needs to appear before *any* words. Hell, maybe that should just be the OT.

Takeover could be our new Sunhi!

I would have been fine with an OT, but now that we don't have one, I'm not sure we ever needed it. It's such a small community, and we all play the same games. More front page time if they all get thrown in together. I'm open to whatever though.

That said, we'll definitely do an AC OT. For whatever reason, it seems to have a fairly broad appeal.

Not too long ago we talked about doing an OT2 for this thread. Not sure what happened, but I think I'll start work on that. McLaren is long gone, and it would be nice to have some updated info for people.

Sunhi is one of a kind! Even though they're not too fancy, if you guys like the gifs, I'll keep doing them. I run a 4 tuner media server for my TV too, so I could easily do some racing gifs as well.

DD

ADRIANF1esp

Neo Member
Video testing the DTM Experience Demo, the gameplay is a lap at Hockenheim circuit with Audi RS5 DTM.

RaceRoom R.E. + DTM = new game...

Soooo, Blancpain Endurance has made it to GSC 2013. It's pretty damn sick. It's ripped content, so no links, but you'll find it if you want it. I don't really like dealing in that stuff, but every now again something comes along that I can't say no to.

*gif was taking too long to load. I didn't really like it anyway. Here, take this crappy screenie I took instead:

DTM Experience Demo, I tried. I really tried, but Simbin's current stuff just isn't for me. Maybe I'm asking too much from it. I think I probably am. Has anyone played it with a controller? I bet it great with one.

TJP

Soooo, Blancpain Endurance has made it to GSC 2013. It's pretty damn sick. It's ripped content, so no links, but you'll find it if you want it. I don't really like dealing in that stuff, but every now again something comes along that I can't say no to.
It's not hard to find is it. Already gave Shaneus links to the 2012 F1 track pack, probably from the same website 8)

DTM Experience Demo, I tried. I really tried, but Simbin's current stuff just isn't for me. Maybe I'm asking too much from it. I think I probably am. Has anyone played it with a controller? I bet it great with one.
I really like it; this is an alpha build and it's a long way from finished but shows a lot of promise. You probably disliked the FFB which has been the source of a lot of discussion at SimBin and will be fixed. Most people prefered the FFB in the earlier builds of RR (as in version 1) to the current build. Physics are approved by DTM drivers and the fastest lap was just over a second faster than the real lap times.

It's not hard to find is it. Already gave Shaneus links to the 2012 F1 track pack, probably from the same website 8)

I really like it; this is an alpha build and it's a long way from finished but shows a lot of promise. You probably disliked the FFB which has been the source of a lot of discussion at SimBin and will be fixed. Most people prefered the FFB in the earlier builds of RR (as in version 1) to the current build. Physics are approved by DTM drivers and the fastest lap was just over a second faster than the real lap times.

Oh, it's got promise, but yeah the ffb is not very communicative in it's present state. Perhaps it's fixable with some custom settings, but I haven't looked around. I'd definitely count myself as a person who liked it better when it first launched. It wasn't the worlds best ffb or anything, but was fun, and approachable. If they're now overreaching in attempt to fix it, I'd rather they not.

I've got an old Driving Force Pro, could I hook that up to iRacing?
Haven't checked this thread for ages, so this answer is probably too late, but yes - I used a DFP with iRacing with no problem.

In fact, it's still one of the best-supported wheels, as they pretty much still sell it in the form of the Driving Force GT, which I expect is one of the most popular wheels on the market.

I've never had a problem with the DFP - it works with everything.

markao

Oh, it's got promise, but yeah the ffb is not very communicative in it's present state. Perhaps it's fixable with some custom settings, but I haven't looked around. I'd definitely count myself as a person who liked it better when it first launched. It wasn't the worlds best ffb or anything, but was fun, and approachable. If they're now overreaching in attempt to fix it, I'd rather they not.
Felt it was OK with default, pretty much like other SimBin (gMotor) games.

only changes were:
- 450 degrees in my Logitech Profiler (540 max), do not like 900 degrees at all.
- Steering lock in game 21/23
- I always use FFB "LOW", gets rid off all the canned effects for me, think default is med (?). It's something I have done with all gMotor based games, so might be different for you.

Select Get Real (default is AMA) and match the in game steeringwheel degree animation with the amount you use if you use cockpit view.

Alright, alright. I'll go back and make sure everything is exact. I'll look around for some ini voodoo-ery as well, if that's what it needs.

Also this video from Niels showed up in my YT feed today. Work he's doing on a first gen NSX for rFactor. I love the way this thing moves.

http://youtu.be/xoiZRGvujbM

Shaneus

Alright, alright. I'll go back and make sure everything is exact. I'll look around for some ini voodoo-ery as well, if that's what it needs.

Also this video from Niels showed up in my YT feed today. Work he's doing on a first gen NSX for rFactor. I love the way this thing moves.

http://youtu.be/xoiZRGvujbM
Invisible driver!

Is Niels a Reiza guy?

PS. What I've just realised I love about watching footage from sim games, is that the game can technically look like complete arse, but you can just tell from the handling that driving the thing is going to be sublime as fuck. Gimme good graphics on console, but if I'm playing with a wheel on my PC, gimme off-the-charts handling.

Edit: Never mind, this interview looks like it'll answer all my questions. From the first and second response, holy shit no wonder Reiza have the best "driving" driving games in the world.

Top Bottom