• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

TJP

PS. What I've just realised I love about watching footage from sim games, is that the game can technically look like complete arse, but you can just tell from the handling that driving the thing is going to be sublime as fuck. Gimme good graphics on console, but if I'm playing with a wheel on my PC, gimme off-the-charts handling.
Eye candy is all well and good but I'd rather have sublime FFB and physics over nice looking graphics any day of the week - anyone not trolling in this thread will no doubt feel exactly the same. That said, SMS are trying to bring sublime graphics and physics to a PC sim and I hope they can achieve it.

Reiza have nailed the 'less is more' approach too - every single vehicle in Game Stock Car feels authentic and believable and the NSX video is testament to Niels' skills as a developer. Given the time taken to get the Mini challenge cars just right (look on VirtualR and Bsimracing for the GSC vs real world speed, braking and lap time graphs), I think Niels and the rest of the Reiza guys form an incredible team.

Shaneus

Oh definitely. I'm exactly the same, I love how I'm becoming that guy who sees physics over graphics and get more impressed with that as a genuine first reaction. Probably why pCARS videos look good but they never really grab me. And same with basically 80% of the other racers out there.

For me, the act of driving is, and will always be, the most important part of racing games. The rules are universal, and the scalability is infinite. Interact with the car to make it go faster. It's that interaction that makes it so enjoyable, and why, like any piece of information your brain has to process, needs to be spoken clearly. The clearer, the better!

That's not to say everything I play has to be life-like, or that I don't care about other features or aspects. However, it's amazing how quickly things devolve into ancillary when the majority of the game, the moment-to-moment stuff isn't as thrilling as it could be.

Reiza have nailed the 'less is more' approach too - every single vehicle in Game Stock Car feels authentic and believable and the NSX video is testament to Niels' skills as a developer. Given the time taken to get the Mini challenge cars just right (look on VirtualR and Bsimracing for the GSC vs real world speed, braking and lap time graphs), I think Niels and the rest of the Reiza guys form an incredible team.

Niels posted a couple of great comments on VirtualR about the vid, and physics in general:

http://www.virtualr.net/honda-nsx-for-rfactor-preview-video

Watevaman

That's why I was really hoping GTR3 was gonna stay a thing. I love GTR2 and if they could update the graphics I'd be in heaven, but if not, then it's back to playing GTR2.

And my plan for 2013 was to get Assetto Corsa, Pcars, rFactor2 and GTR3.

What a horrible plan. None of these games came out. By the time they do, i´m not sure my computer will be able to run. Hopefully at least Pcars is PS4.

New build is out for iRacing. Mount Panorama, and NTM5 for just about all the base (free) road cars are the highlights. The latter should go a long way towards showing people how much the sim has come recently. I'm expecting big improvements for those cars.

Some guy's lap around Bathurst in a V8 Supercar:

http://youtu.be/AnTpyYBGgME

TJP

Niels posted a couple of great comments on VirtualR about the vid, and physics in general:
Cheers for the link - I tend to ignore the comments on VirtualR. Interesting comments about Assetto Corsa too.

New build is out for iRacing. Mount Panorama, and NTM5 for just about all the base (free) road cars are the highlights. The latter should go a long way towards showing people how much the sim has come recently. I'm expecting big improvements for those cars.

The now obligatory real world versus iRacing lap of Bathurst: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2nI6H--dzg While you're on YouTube, some Chris Harris in a Ferrari F12 complete with sideways action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjp1xjOzJqY - posted because I want to do this in Assetto Corsa ;)

markao

Some guy's lap around Bathurst in a V8 Supercar:

http://youtu.be/AnTpyYBGgME
Damn, have to wait 2 1/2 weeks before I get the chance to try it out :(

Shaneus

ISR iRacing Bathurst multi-cam drive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX4Wi7k091w

Another ISR video; a G27 load cell brake mod (by Ricmotech) review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4zMCdqjyZU
Honestly, I think anyone would struggle to make something better, bang-for-buck, than the GT-Eye spring mod for the G27 pedals. I'd love to see something cheap that has in-built electronics or whatever, and hell, for $100 I'd happily get something that's decent but I can't believe how much throw that *doesn't* have.

Edit: No PS3 support? Hmm, that'll turn a lot of people off IMO.

Damn, have to wait 2 1/2 weeks before I get the chance to try it out :(

It's terrific, but I will say this, it gives me a greater appreciation for PCARS Bathurst. It's not as dissimilar as you might think given it's scanned.

I did some laps there last night in the Lotus 49, which by the way feels like they've cut the torque by half. It's a lot less hairy.

iRacing Bathurst! What a stonking track.

It's total carnage in week 13 because most people don't know how to handle the hill and, well, because week 13. Good fun though.

Got some highlights of the demolition derby from last nights race just for laughs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgvKBU5GP1g

Great vid. I've got to give that a go.

Love the multi-class idea. They should consider keeping it since stuff like Proto/GT is the deep end of the pool, and suffers from people not being that great at multi-class. I suppose that's what Grand AM/MP4-12C is for though..

markao

It's terrific, but I will say this, it gives me a greater appreciation for PCARS Bathurst. It's not as dissimilar as you might think given it's scanned.

I did some laps there last night in the Lotus 49, which by the way feels like they've cut the torque by half. It's a lot less hairy.
pCARS or iRacing?

Last time I tried iRacing's one, just after release, it was just a fraction to twitchy/slippery (bumps) for my liking, so that would be nice (not half, but some work :p )

(Or did you mean pCARS, if so pick one of the Vintage tires. I would start with Vintage C, "easier" (as far as that goes with L49) then A&B.)

pCARS or iRacing?

Last time I tried iRacing's one, just after release, it was just a fraction to twitchy/slippery (bumps) for my liking, so that would be nice (not half, but some work :p )

(Or did you mean pCARS, if so pick one of the Vintage tires. I would start with Vintage C, "easier" (as far as that goes with L49) then A&B.)

Yeah, sorry I meant the iRacing one. I wasn't clear.

Cool, I'll definitely have to try them a back-to-back.

Polyphony

Small PSA: For those updating to Windows 8 or 8.1, the OS will install its own drivers the first time you plug in your G25/G27 wheel. The Logitech Profiler will no longer recognize your wheel.

I had to uninstall the Win 8 drivers, uninstall Profiler and re-install it to get the wheel to be recognized by the Profiler again. It might be best to disable automatic driver installation for plug & play USB devices.

Small PSA: For those updating to Windows 8 or 8.1, the OS will install its own drivers the first time you plug in your G25/G27 wheel. The Logitech Profiler will no longer recognize your wheel.

I had to uninstall the Win 8 drivers, uninstall Profiler and re-install it to get the wheel to be recognized by the Profiler again. It might be best to disable automatic driver installation for plug & play USB devices.

Ooo, yuck. Cheers for that.

Polyphony

And my GSC 2012 license is no longer recognized, noooo! Receipt said that the serial number works for three activations, but it won't let me re-activate nonetheless. Perhaps it's a sign that I should get with the times and pre-order GSC 2013 already.

And my GSC 2012 license is no longer recognized, noooo! Receipt said that the serial number works for three activations, but it won't let me re-activate nonetheless. Perhaps it's a sign that I should get with the times and pre-order GSC 2013 already.

If you email Reiza, they'll straighten you out right away. You should however get 2013! There's been so many incremental updates to it that you wouldn't necessarily notice if you just looked at the "back of the box". Everything is just better.

Addnan

WRC4 is out on Steam. I tried the demo on PS3 could not play it properly. Framerate is sub 30. There's no demo on PC :/

wrc 4 is 60fps you just have to force vsync through your video card, using vsync in game caps at 30. looking forward to racing online, if anyone else got it hit me up, lets be steam friends

TJP

WRC4 is out on Steam. I tried the demo on PS3 could not play it properly. Framerate is sub 30. There's no demo on PC :/
They'll be an easy found unofficial demo available somewhere on the internet not that I condone such things.

Reading the Steam forums and based upon the small number of feedback posts, WRC 4 is the best Milestone rally game to date. Having played previous versions of WRC on the Xbox 360, I doubt I'll bother with this as latest instalment as it's probably far too samey - same goes for F1 2013...aready bored of it (GSC 2013 with F1 track mods shits all over it too).

Shaneus

from what ive heard its almost identical to WRC 3, and they took out the 80s and 90s cars
Depends on where you've heard that from, I guess. A lot of people hated on WRC3 (I even took a site or two to task on it, think I posted about it here somewhere?) for stupid reasons and I wouldn't be surprised if the same shallow-minded folk copypasta'd those reviews for WRC4.

I'll definitely buy, but I don't think I'll buy it *right now* (although given WRC3 is on Steam, if WRC4 is I probably will get right now).

Depends on where you've heard that from, I guess. A lot of people hated on WRC3 (I even took a site or two to task on it, think I posted about it here somewhere?) for stupid reasons and I wouldn't be surprised if the same shallow-minded folk copypasta'd those reviews for WRC4.

I'll definitely buy, but I don't think I'll buy it *right now* (although given WRC3 is on Steam, if WRC4 is I probably will get right now).
Well i noticed it doesnt have that stupid extreme shit 3 had like driving thru gates and junk. Career is now working ur way up from junior to wrc, which is a very welcome change.

I can see peoples online games but i cant joon them yet, i just get an endless please wait thu...prob something wrong on mybports or something but annoying

kafiend

Bought it and played through the 1st Junior Rally yesterday. It drives OK, looks OK, but there is so much copy/paste of corners that its disorientating.
You drive along, come to a corner and your brain says "hey look at that! I came around this corner the other way just now. How did that happen on a linear road?....bzzzt...bzzzt"

Looking forward to the Spec Racer Ford GP at Road America on iRacing this evening.

This is the course guide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrc3-ST_vI8

If anyone would like to watch me fail, the race is being broadcast live here:

http://globalsimracingchannel.com/watch-gsrc-live/

and here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVJ4Ch262CM

Qualifying starts in few minutes (2145 Central European Time) (open qualifier, 1 hour)
Race starts at 2245

I have painted my car the GAF colours so you can spot me. :D

That'll be because I just crashed out, how embarrassing. :(

I locked up and chose to avoid hitting the guy ahead which would have caused a huge pile up. Went the unselfish route but I took loads of damage clipping the wall so my race was pretty much over. Could have got towed to the pits but after that much damage the car never drives properly again and it would have been a frustrating race.

Sigh.

Well now is good time to get started - the new season starts next week! This is Week 13 - the week off between 12 week seasons, so the community organises their own events like this one. Doesn't count towards your stats, just for fun :)

Haven't seen these GSRC guys do coverage before - they're pretty good!

Haha yep that was me. Still a bit gutted, I should have taken it easy for a few more corners. It started to settle down after the field spread out. Serves me right for not practicing enough. Did the whole season concentrating on the Skip Barber car, so jumping into the SRF, just as it received a massive tyre update was not a good idea.

It's a much nicer car to drive now, so I might do more SRF this season.

Yay, nice!

Haters can go suck eggs. It's good business for them, and now that they have multi-OS support it's opens things up nicely, including for SteamOS. Exciting times.

I've been too busy to finish off the new OT, but it's underway, and I should be able to get it up later in the week.

Must people know of all the classic sims. They're all still relevant and played, but I think I'll keep this new OP modern. If anyone has an issue with that, or the inclusion/exclusion of this list, let me know. Got to give the people what they want!

iRacing
Reiza stuff
pCARS
rF2
Race Room/DTM
Simraceway
AC
WRC4

They'll be updated hardware stuff too of course.

What's the correct etiquette for screenshots? Dev released only? Is Google'd not kosher? I don't even know.

amar212

I've been too busy to finish off the new OT, but it's underway, and I should be able to get it up later in the week.

Congratulations!

Mclaren has told me via GTP he is negotiating option to come back here with the mods, but I think it will not be easy due to perma.

This way or another, kudos for the effort, looking forward bookmarking and following.

Will you try to include all relevant modern mods info, like RBR2013, Power&Glory, EuroTruck maybe?

Congratulations!

Mclaren has told me via GTP he is negotiating option to come back here with the mods, but I think it will not be easy due to perma.

This way or another, kudos for the effort, looking forward bookmarking and following.

Will you try to include all relevant modern mods info, like RBR2013, Power&Glory, EuroTruck maybe?

OK, cool. If you guys want to see the full spectrum, then that's what I'll do. It's obviously great content, so not a problem. Thanks for the input.

Shaneus

Great work Takeover! Make us proud :)

What's the correct etiquette for screenshots? Dev released only? Is Google'd not kosher? I don't even know.
As long as your truck spinning .gif is in it, I don't care.

I guess it doesn't really matter, as long as they're relatively high quality.

Great that iRacing is on Steam. Let's hope this helps put pressure on their pricing model. Speaking of which, next subscription promotion and I am jumping back in ASAP. Things are finally starting to settle down with the house and I just saw Bathurst was finally released. Hrrrrrrnnnnnggggggg!!!

TJP

Great that iRacing is on Steam. Let's hope this helps put pressure on their pricing model.
That is great but will iRacing actually use Steam in place of their current web browser system though? I presumed the iRacing green light idea was a marketing ploy as the campaign kicked off not long after (or pehaps it was just prior to) Kunos applying for Assetto Corsa to be green lit.

That is great but will iRacing actually use Steam in place of their current web browser system though? I presumed the iRacing green light idea was a marketing ploy as the campaign kicked off not long after (or pehaps it was just prior to) Kunos applying for Assetto Corsa to be green lit.

I believe it is going to make Steam a purchasing link and glorified redirect. I doubt anything will change much on their system, like updates will still go through their client, not steam. I just hope the public exposure to their services maybe puts pressure on them to abandon one of their pay models. It always seemed excessive to have both a pay for content and pay for services model at the same time. Let me subscribe and get everything, or free to play but have to buy all the add on content.

Addnan

Just selling subscription through steam will go a long way. Less to worry about, less fear of using a random website I guess. Plus it will obviously expose the game to a far greater audience then they could ever manage on their own.

Top Bottom