• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC RPGs & recommendations needed

Slavik81

Guileless said:
Nostalgia overload in this thread.

Ten years ago, Might & Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven was the bomb. However, it ran on a primitive form of 3d even then that did not use my PC's Voodoo 1, so I can't imagine it being palatable to today's evolved tastes. Too bad.
Actually, the game does NOT look like most early 3D games. The textures are of decent resolution and despite geometry being highly angular, character and enemy models don't look totally retarded because they just use flat 2D sprites for those. The game looks respectable today because they didn't try to do more with 3D than was possible with the technology.

My brother was playing it this afternoon and having a blast. We encountered it just a couple years ago and loved it. Gameplay-wise, the game is everything Oblivion should have been. Full realtime combat (that isn't obviously broken), loot is useful on a regular basis, reasonably varied mission objectives and an enormous world to explore freely.

Might & Magic VI is the ONLY one worth playing, though. The earlier ones are too technologically privative. They force you to move on a grid and other such stuff. The later ones are also not as good. Might and Magic VII is passable, but it made some retarded game design decisions. One of the biggest problems is that the game is boring as fuck if you decided to choose the dark side instead of the light. Some quests are also ridiculous.

Anyways, I came in to recommend Might & Magic VI. If anyone's unsure of if the graphics hold up, this is what it looks like:

02_town.jpg

215600.jpg

215616.jpg

It's not going to win any awards, but it keeps its geometry simple, and it never tried to do more than it could with it's graphics. It holds up much more than a lot of early 3D games. (and no, that Goblin in the middle picture does not generally look that awkward. That's a single frame in his animation. Their screengrab might have just been unlucky timing.

Minsc

Gold Member
Slavik81 said:
Might & Magic VI is the ONLY one worth playing, though. The earlier ones are too technologically privative. They force you to move on a grid and other such stuff. The later ones are also not as good. Might and Magic VII is passable, but it made some retarded game design decisions. One of the biggest problems is that the game is boring as fuck if you decided to choose the dark side instead of the light. Some quests are also ridiculous.

I sort of agree... but I enjoyed Might & Magic: The World of Xeen the most when I played it at it's release, and I tried VI, but never got in to it as much as IV & V (which I believe are combined in to one title: World of Xeen). I have no problem playing grid based games, particularly Lands of Lore or EotB, because they're actually ironically accessible I think. But as far as Xeen, I remember that game being really really hard, and I'm not sure I'd want to revisit it, but I couldn't get in to any M&M titles after Xeen, except for the HoM&M ones :)

A Black Falcon said:
Anyway, yeah, as I said, either just get a complete copy of QFGCS or loose (main disc only) QFGCS or any QFGA plus a separate purchase of a QFGV: Dragon Fire Soundtrack CD and QFGV.

The MIDI soundtracks of the first four games are also really awesome, though, of course...

I agree, the music to QfG was very good, I haven't heard it in a while, but I remember enjoying it. I plan on getting a version of V w/ the bonus CD, so however I end up purchasing it, I will be making sure that is included!

Minsc said:
I sort of agree... but I enjoyed Might & Magic: The World of Xeen the most when I played it at it's release, and I tried VI, but never got in to it as much as IV & V (which I believe are combined in to one title: World of Xeen). I have no problem playing grid based games, particularly Lands of Lore or EotB, because they're actually ironically accessible I think. But as far as Xeen, I remember that game being really really hard, and I'm not sure I'd want to revisit it, but I couldn't get in to any M&M titles after Xeen, except for the HoM&M ones :)

I've never actually played the Might & Magic RPGs... I have HoMM2 and its expansion (one of the best TBS games ever) and Dark Messiah of Might & Magic (that came free with this computer last year, but is pretty fun aside from the frequent crashes on loading screens), but not any of the RPGs. I even remember playing demos of Warriors of Might & Magic (the late '90s online-focused FPS) and Crusaders of Might & Magic (the awful 3d action game), but not their later RPGs... though there may not have been demos of those games. I'm not sure.

verbatimo said:
I agree, the music to QfG was very good, I haven't heard it in a while, but I remember enjoying it. I plan on getting a version of V w/ the bonus CD, so however I end up purchasing it, I will be making sure that is included!

QFG4 has maybe the best soundtrack of the first four games, I think. I love the classic heroes' theme from the first game, but Shadows of Darkness' music is a really exceptional MIDI work.

Quest for Glory V : Dragon Fire soundtrack is awesome. Oh the memories...

It is too bad that the game doesn't quite match up to the greatness of the soundtrack, though... oh well. It's not like the game is actually bad, just not as great as it should have been. That soundtrack, though... especially the QFGV Overture... amazing. That's definitely my favorite track in the soundtrack.

That track in that video is another one of the best, though. Beautiful...

Des0lar said:
Get Planescape Torment.
Just get it now no matter the price!

I just (like a week ago) got my copy of Torment back from a friend who had been borrowing it for the better part of two years, actually... I've played it before, of course, though, which is why I lent it out so someone else can experience the best RPG ever. :)

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
That is fascinating Slavik81. I didn't know about the technical stuff and I haven't seen the engine since I played VII back in the summer of '99, but from those screenshots M&M VI actually does hold up much better than I thought possible.

I am currently dabbling in Oblivion and I find myself wishing it was more like Mandate of Heaven. I can't believe it was 10 years ago when I played that. I didn't have cable that summer and it came in very handy.

I can't help but think that somebody who can't work out their ways through doorways won't appreciate the immaculate narrative and setting of Torment. Anyhow I'd go with BGII as well for the "essentials".

larvi

Minsc said:

Yep, M&M IV and V were great games, but III was actually my favorite. Similar to the Xeen games but a more of a challenge. VI was ok, but I never really got into the 3D interface that much.

And holy crap at the Wizardry prices on Amazon, both Wizardy 8 and the Ultimate Wizardry archives. I had no idea the games were getting that much now. I'm glad I bought them when they came out. Wizardry is still my all time favorite series.

larvi said:
And holy crap at the Wizardry prices on Amazon, both Wizardy 8 and the Ultimate Wizardry archives. I had no idea the games were getting that much now. I'm glad I bought them when they came out. Wizardry is still my all time favorite series.

Actually, I paid $50 for W8 the day it came out, so those prices haven't gone up too much! At least you aren't trying to get a copy of NASCAR Racing 2003, which generally goes for about $100 nowadays. :)

The later M&M games (6,7,8) are pretty rough to play but are still playable nowadays. I would suggest getting a guide to help encourage and walk you through parts of the game at first until the game "hooks" you after a couple of hours of play. The graphics and interface are really ouch and combat is sorta awkward to people not familiar with the series already. I thought all three games above (6,7,8) were underrated at the time and, while they haven't aged well, they are still not terrible titles. You could certainly do far worse.

One game I wanted to bring up here is the first Neverwinter Nights game from Bioware. Derided by fools everywhere because they judged the game solely off of its lackluster original campaign and not the enormous amount of usermade content and persistent worlds (some still running!) made for the game. I've seen the super-hyper-combo Diamond pack for sale for as little as $10 in places, and it's got some really good content in the box (premium modules, SoU, HotU) and is a gateway to all of the great stuff over on http://nwnvault.ign.com . The game still looks pretty modern and the user created stuff pushes the game engine further than I think anyone would have imagined.

Also, another vote for Baldur's Gate 2 + Throne of Bhaal. It's a robust, well-rounded tour de force that is the crowning achievement of the computer RPG. Other games might do a few specific things better than BG2 does (characterization/writing in Torment, etc.), but no game really comes close to putting all of the aspects of the computer RPG together like BG2 does.

Defcon

Banned
I just picked up NWN 2 and it's expansion for $25 at Target. It looks like shit and runs like ass, but it's pretty fun.

larvi

Fragamemnon said:
Actually, I paid $50 for W8 the day it came out, so those prices haven't gone up too much! At least you aren't trying to get a copy of NASCAR Racing 2003, which generally goes for about $100 nowadays. :)

Actually I was looking at the prices for the Ultimate Wizardry Archives, that is going for 100 to more than 200 depending on condition. I think I paid $30 for that brand new. The only Nascar racing game I have is the original Papyrus release that came with my Matrox Millenium video card. I guess it's just surprising to me that old PC games are worth anything, I guess I had better start taking better care of my old games.

ToEE with the Co8 fan patches is actually pretty awesome. I love the combat. It's tough as hell at times, but never to the point of frustration. D&D combat has never been so closely recreated to the table top game. I highly recommend giving it a shot! Oh, and it's very well animated, especially the creatures :D

Also, I know it's not really a PC rpg, but seriously, find a Saturn emulator and Panzer Dragoon Saga. Do it!

spritex

Lots of games I liked mentioned here.

Gothic 2 (inlcuding Night of the Raven expansion) should be near the top of your list.
It's not very old, and is challenging and varied. And I really like the fact that you can see things that you can pick up on ground, not just dummy chests.

It's more of an adventure/RPG though.

(I am now playing NWN2, and have the expansion waiting. After those, I'll probably get Witcher - and I haven't played Stalker yet either.)

Is Arx Fatalis 2 still coming, by the way?

Fragamemnon said:
Also, another vote for Baldur's Gate 2 + Throne of Bhaal. It's a robust, well-rounded tour de force that is the crowning achievement of the computer RPG. Other games might do a few specific things better than BG2 does (characterization/writing in Torment, etc.), but no game really comes close to putting all of the aspects of the computer RPG together like BG2 does.

Yeah, Torment is the better game, because of how amazing its story is, how unique it is, and how near-perfectly it pulls off what it tries, but the Baldur's Gate games are better standard RPGs. Torment is the best in the genre, but it's also really in a class by itself. The Baldur's Gate saga is essentially the traditional RPG perfected.

All I've wanted from BioWare since ToB is a game from them that remotely compares to it in depth and quality... we haven't come even close to getting it. :(

The only thing I'd really add to that is that Baldur's Gate I is every bit as great a game as Baldur's Gate II is, overall. The second game is slightly better, and improves on the first one in interface design -- bags, 40 arrows per stack, notes on the map, etc -- but in gameplay and game design, the first game is just as good. It depends on what you like, the more open world of BG1 or the more linear one of BGII. I know I criticize the TES games for being too open (see my post earlier in this thread), but BG1's style of open-endedness I like. The main quest is always there and is fascinating and very well done. You just also have the option of wandering around in the wilderness or city for pretty much as long as you want, doing sidequests and exploring. BGII removes most of that, getting rid of the first game's numerous mostly-empty zones and replacing them with fewer, much more densely packed zones. And honestly, as amazingly great as BGII was, I often found myself wishing for the more spread out nature of the first game.

The Underdark is amazingly cool... but it's mostly squeezed into one main zone?
Athkatla is great... but you can only visit certain parts of it, and not the whole city like you could Baldur's Gate? And you spend more than half or two thirds of the game not being able to go back to it or anywhere other than the area you're currently in? Things like these make the game much more focused, but really, was having bunches of forest zones with one or two sidequests in them really all that bad? I don't think that BGI suffered from it. Indeed, its main quest is very interesting and well done, just as much so as the second game's is. The game just lets you do more other things along the way.

The subject of your NPC allies who join your party is similarly mixed. On the one hand, BGII has MUCH, MUCH more detailed allies. They have real stories, quests, will leave your party if you don't do things they like or ignore their quests, etc. They talk to eachother and with you. The game has relationships you can form with certain characters. But... it has very few NPCs who can join your party. The first game has only basic characters with minimal characterizations beyond what their voice lines are (with only a few exceptions), but at least it gives you lots of options so you can build your party pretty much exactly as you want it. But BGII? Want a mage? Well, do you mind a dual-classed mage who will level slow? There are two of those... but if you want a real mage, one who will be at full power in a game where mages are incredibly, incredibly powerful... how many choices do you have? Three. And one of those three is gone for the first half of the game. This leaves two. And one of those two is Chaotic Evil and is a horrible character who any Good character will probably kill (particularly if you have Minsc in your party or cared about Dynaheir). That leaves one. Who has low Wisdom.

The Cleric situation is even worse... if you have both Aeire and Jahera it's covered well enough, but the only full cleric is Evil aligned and hard to keep in a Good party...

However, I know that when you're putting that much detail into each character, it's impossible to have as many of them as the first game had. So overall it's an acceptable limitation, and I'd say the second game is better overall in characters thanks to the fact that characters actually develop, unlike in the first game where only yours really did. But the limitations should also be recognized.

thanks for all the recommendations everyone. i recently just installed about every game everybody mentioned. now time to burn my life away.

Althane

*blinks*

I just realized that QFG1 is a game I've been looking for for a long, long time... As in, I saw my brother play it so many years ago, yet have never remembered what it was until this topic.

I don't supposed anyone knows of a way to play it in OS X?

Althane said:
*blinks*

I just realized that QFG1 is a game I've been looking for for a long, long time... As in, I saw my brother play it so many years ago, yet have never remembered what it was until this topic.

I don't supposed anyone knows of a way to play it in OS X?

DOSBox has a Mac port. :)

Top Bottom