• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The report is currently being released. Apparently there was "a total disregard for the safety and welfare of Sandusky’s child victims by the most senior leaders at Penn State."

I for one, am shocked.

Sanjuro

"Taking into account the available witness statements and evidence, it is more

reasonable to conclude that, in order to avoid the consequences of bad publicity, the

most powerful leaders at Penn State University – Messrs. Spanier, Schultz, Paterno and

Curley – repeatedly concealed critical facts relating to Sandusky’s child abuse from the

authorities, the Board of Trustees, Penn State community, and the public at large."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
"Taking into account the available witness statements and evidence, it is more

reasonable to conclude that, in order to avoid the consequences of bad publicity, the

most powerful leaders at Penn State University – Messrs. Spanier, Schultz, Paterno and

Curley – repeatedly concealed critical facts relating to Sandusky’s child abuse from the

authorities, the Board of Trustees, Penn State community, and the public at large."

I wish the NCAA would give the football program the death penalty. Shut it down.

They clearly put the program's interests ahead of the well-being of children who were being sexually abused. If that isn't a clear example of the wrong priorities, I don't know what is.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
There are some people from this very thread who would do well to walk back a few of their defenses at this point. Will they? Nah.

Jesus christ that is bad. I cant believe he wanted them to keep it quiet if a player broke the law. Even at the really huge programs it comes out when players get arrested, I am really shocked that he thought he could keep that out of the news.

It's fucked... but be fair. It's totally believable that a football coach would want this. Major collegiate sports have been undermining university integrity for over a century.

Death Penalty is possible... how long has it been., SMU?

Sanjuro

I feel bad for Bill O'Brien. I'm hoping they shut the entire program down and he is still able to get a job in the NFL or with another NCAA program possibly.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yeah, reading that report I think the Big Ten better start recruiting another school. How in the world could the NCAA not shut it down?

Sanjuro

Same for the players on the team. They should be given the opportunity to transfer without penalty should they want to.

If I was a student of any capacity at the school, I would have transferred last year. It's an embarrassment of a school. I can only imagine the job interviews down the road along the lines of, "Oh, you went to the school where all those kids got raped.".

Plinko

"Paterno reports the incident to Curley and Schultz on Sunday, February 11 as Paterno did not 'want to interfere with their weekends.'"

Wow, what a classy guy. Kids being sexually abused? Can't report it now. Can't possibly interfere with these guys' weekends.

Stinkles

If I was a student of any capacity at the school, I would have transferred last year. It's an embarrassment of a school. I can only imagine the job interviews down the road along the lines of, "Oh, you went to the school where all those kids got raped.".

And that part is on JoePa.

Sanjuro

What did he say?

They replayed it on my sports radio, it might be on-demand on NBC possibly. Basically Lauer kept asking him "How are you going to respond if the information coming out today is damning?". He kept responding along the lines of, "This is one piece of the puzzle...It would be unfair to answer those questions without reading the report".

Basically if it contains anything damning, they are going to preach about the real truth needs to come out again.

I hate Jay so much, I get wanting to stick up for your dad but he is taking it to far. There is no other truth beyond the emails where his dad told them not to go to the cops. There is no coming back from that.

I hadnt seen this mentioned in this thread:

The NCAA has been quiet about Penn State since announcing its investigation in November, but it told the Associated Press on Wednesday that Penn State will have to formally respond to questions from NCAA president Mark Emmert at some point. The NCAA offered no timeline on when the response would take place but said it has been collecting information from the investigation led by former FBI director Louis Freeh.

Death penalty for sure.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
20 pages in and fuck Penn State.

edit: actually, I'm done. Not getting paid to read that so I'm not going to subject myself to it anymore because it is absolutely infuriating.

I'm going to read it now. As a graduate of PSU and a long time fan of Paterno (up until the last half year) I'm curious to see how I feel about what it contains. Part of me hopes it makes him out to be less of the bastard he appears to be now, but the realistic part of me knows that it will most likely just paint him worse... :(

Plinko

Yeah there's no way they don't get it or frankly it'll be program killing. I think it's possible football may never be played at Penn State again.

How ironic that Paterno may have played a major role in eliminating the football program at PSU.

greepoman

They replayed it on my sports radio, it might be on-demand on NBC possibly. Basically Lauer kept asking him "How are you going to respond if the information coming out today is damning?". He kept responding along the lines of, "This is one piece of the puzzle...It would be unfair to answer those questions without reading the report".

Basically if it contains anything damning, they are going to preach about the real truth needs to come out again.

Here's the actual quote:

As for what could come out in the Freeh Report in a few hours, Paterno said he and his family aren’t worried.

“We have never at any time been afraid to see what people have to say. This investigation is one opinion … one piece of the puzzle. … We’ve never been afraid of the truth,” Paterno said.

Investigation is just one opinion! All those damning emails...just opinions, you can't trust them!

I mean I love football too. It was one of the best experiences I had in high school. Even had a childhood buddy go on to play in the nfl. But for Christ's sake....children. Were. Getting RAPED. You don't ignore that for the sake of your programs self-image.

I say we take off and nuke the entire campus from orbit....it's the only way to be sure.

So what are the chances Penn State as a whole is going to collapse?

No chance. The school is to big, they will say that the football program was out of control, the NCAA will punish the football program, and the rest of the school will go along like nothing ever happened.

I volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters and I mentor a 12 year old with no male adult figure in his life other than me. When I think about the power/responsibility that entails and reflect on what went on at PSU, sometimes I just shake in anger. The type of kids that were preyed on were the ones that needed society's help the most, and they got nothing from PSU officials.

I'll never buy into the "Leave Joe alone, he's dead" mantra". Dude knew what was going on, did very little (or nothing) to stop it, and made millions when those boys were getting abused.

Nelo Ice

Banned
No chance. The school is to big, they will say that the football program was out of control, the NCAA will punish the football program, and the rest of the school will go along like nothing ever happened.

None. Even at its worse, this report only targets the football program and a handful of administrators. The axe will fall on them.

Ahh figured the school would received some sort of punishment as well even though punishing football alone is a big enough hit as it is.

Stinkles

I'm ok with this, since I have no ill will to the student body.

If their football program gets the death penalty that is a HUGE punishment for PSU as a school.

The NCAA really has to give PSU's football program the death penalty, right? This new report makes it crystal clear that there was a lot of behind the scenes action by top people at the university to cover up the molestation.

verbum

I volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters and I mentor a 12 year old with no male adult figure in his life other than me. When I think about the power/responsibility that entails and reflect on what went on at PSU, sometimes I just shake in anger. The type of kids that were preyed on were the ones that needed society's help the most, and they got nothing from PSU officials.

I'll never buy into the "Leave Joe alone, he's dead" mantra". Dude knew what was going on, did very little (or nothing) to stop it, and made millions when those boys were getting abused.

Paterno's estate may have to pay civil damages to some of the victims if a suit is brought against it.
His reputation is gone for good.
As far as the other officials, hopefully they can be convicted in a criminal court.
Penn State students must be in shock over the report findings. No degrees from the university will be hung on office walls for a while.

If their football program gets the death penalty that is a HUGE punishment for PSU as a school.

Hell just getting kicked out of the big 10 will be a huge punishment for the school. SMU has never recovered from what happened to them. I could see PSU's football program being below schools like Temple when this is all done. A lot of the university's luster was connected to the football program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom