• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalnos

Banned
It all stems from tying up your identity with an outside entity, then sticking with it no matter what.

It doesn't even have to be something as serious as Sandusky or UW either. People fly into a state of disbelief and aggressive defense when just allegations are brought against their program. See: Cam Newton and Auburn, Oregon and Nike, Kentucky's basketball program, etc.

Eh...

Let's put it this way, I know I sure wouldn't be proud of my college if I were in your shoes.

I got my undergrad at Penn State, and it's tough. The thing to remember is that there are a lot of professors/students doing great research there - people who couldn't give a shit about football or view it as the simple entertainment it actually is. I think about my friend there who was a Physics major who never went to a sporting event and has passion was the college's juggling club. I think of my best professor there named Panaki Das, and I bet Panaki doesn't even understand the rules of football. As an alumni, I associate myself with the Engineering program and have no ties to football.

There are plenty of intelligent PSUers who don't view Paterno as a golden god and want justice served for these horrible leaders. Yes there are the rioting students and the fans (a weird thing in PA is a lot of people are big PSU sports fans that didn't go to the school) but that's not everyone.

As for the football program being shut down, I want to see it happen in principal, but the sad thing is other parts of the institution would be affected by the money lost from football. Doesn't change wanting to see it shut down, but makes it more complicated than it sounds.

There was a thread about it actually.

Pensions don't just go away because you become a felon. Doesn't work like that (as far as I know). Any 'defense force' for it is just common sense GAF.

Nevermind, I need to read more about pensions.

There's no chance lawsuits would change the fact that he's getting it?

With all that's surfacing, I wouldn't be surprsied if PSU football isn't tied to organized crime or something. Death of the DA just solidifies it as a cover up in my mind. Disgusting.

Remember that rumor that there was a "child sex ring" involved in this? Could that be a metaphor of some kind for this level of cover-up? At this point I'm starting to wonder...

ElRenoRaven

You guys know that Sandusky gets to keep his state pension right? Something like $60k a year.

Yup and I believe every goddamn cent of it should go to the victims for life considering what crimes have happened here not only by him but everyone above him that covered it up.

Remember that rumor that there was a "child sex ring" involved in this? Could that be a metaphor of some kind for this level of cover-up? At this point I'm starting to wonder...

Well that would be one reason for the massive cover up and reason enough for that DA to "disappear". That's another reason I think that DA was killed. If this ring involved people higher up in power in the university and even the state government would they want it coming out? Of course not. so make the DA disappear and proceed to start destroying any evidence you could so that when another came looking into shit they wouldn't find near as much evidence of anyone else's involvement.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Eh...

Let's put it this way, I know I sure wouldn't be proud of my college if I were in your shoes.

I'm not proud of this debacle, but PSU is so, SO much more than just the football program. You can't just hate the whole campus because of this, that would be irrational and unfair to the rest of the school.

Eh, I'm always going to be a bit biased on this because of my time spent there. Although I'll never have a positive reaction again when I hear or see the name Paterno. Any respect I had for the man went out the window. He did so much good for the school in his time there, but if he was capable of THIS for his beloved football program, then who knows what else he turned a blind eye to as well? He certainly wasn't the man I thought he was.

He had a responsibility to the children and students under his care and on the campus. And when it came down to a choice he chose his friend and his football legacy over those kids. I wouldn't have believed it a year ago, but the truth is what it is.

Paterno was a selfish coward. :(

I'm not proud of this debacle, but PSU is so, SO much more than just the football program. You can't just hate the whole campus because of this, that would be irrational and unfair to the rest of the school.

Eh, I'm always going to be a bit biased on this because of my time spent there. Although I'll never have a positive reaction again when I hear or see the name Paterno. Any respect I had for the man went out the window. He did so much good for the school in his time there, but if he was capable of THIS for his beloved football program, then who knows what else he turned a blind eye to as well? He certainly wasn't the man I thought he was.

He had a responsibility to the children and students under his care and on the campus. And when it came down to a choice he chose his friend and his football legacy over those kids. I wouldn't have believed it a year ago, but the truth is what it is.

Paterno was a selfish coward. :(

Unfortunately, he tarnished PSU's reputation, especially since the school's identity is so tied up in its football program. Now students on the academic side might feel unfairly maligned.

Sandusky's actions, and his peers' lack of proper action, have damaged children and students beyond count in many ways.

Sanjuro

Again, it's certainly fair.

If I was a current student at the school, months ago, I would have walked directly to the administrator/transfer office and done everything possible to get out of there.

Diablos

As a fellow PA resident, AND a graduate of PSU, let me just say this to you Diablos:

FUCK YOU.

You can be mad at Paterno, I have no qualm with that. So am I. Livid is more like the word. What he did was stupid, unforgivable, and incredibly selfish. You can be mad at about a half dozen or so other big wigs at PSU who are also just as responsible for letting this monster get away with what he did for so long. But DO NOT get mad or insult the 30,000+ per year students who attend PSU with pride, honor, and dignity. It's no crime for us to be proud of our college, and this whole thing has stung us HARD. The students had no part in this tragedy, other than to believe that our school was as good a place as we wanted it to be.

Don't go misplacing your anger and blame on the innocent just because it makes you sound like an internet tough guy. Show a little compassion for Christ sake.
:\

Maybe you should stop assuming so much before you totally lash out at me. Although I do realize this must be rough and you get a lot of smartass remarks from people.

I have previously expressed sympathy for students who have absolutely nothing to do with this. To know you are attending/have previously attended a University that will now forever have the sick and negligent actions by a small group of people a part of its history is a tragedy. I feel really bad. It has to suck for faculty too.

But on the other hand, by "Penn State sports yuppies" I'm implying the neanderthals who are still going to march around campus like JoePa is their lord and savior. You and I both know they're out there, alumni as well. It's that specific mentality I was speaking to, and I'm sorry if you assumed I was generalizing and speaking on behalf of the entire student body. Reading over my post again, I didn't really word it all that well.

Really, I think you misunderstood what I was saying and perhaps it's my fault for not putting it in the right context. But I'm not dumb enough to assume that everyone who attends PSU is a pedo or would condone such behavior. Sorry for getting you all riled up, man. And I truly do feel bad for students/alumni like you who have to deal with the reality of this all.

"One small mistake does not overturn a lifetime of good work done by a a Great Man."
Someone who didn't have the balls to stand up to a man who worked under him as assistant coach, who also just happened to be a serial pedophile is not a great man. He fucked up, and it will probably cost him his legacy. I can't say I feel bad for him. Joe Paterno had that school in the palm of his hand, and had more than enough power to handle this thoroughly and without bringing down the school with it. Now PSU has a real problem, and it's not right for everyone else to have to be associated with this pure lunacy out of the football program, President of PSU, and of course Sandusky. But most people will be reminded of that when they are told by someone that they went to PSU, and that is a real shame.

This really went all the way to the top and everyone looked the other way. I can't think of a bigger disservice to the students who put in so much faith and loyalty to this University, not to mention the victims themselves.

Bottom line: Everyone who was in on this needs to be punished. The statue needs to come down and the football program needs to be scaled back or eliminated. That's just my opinion, I don't expect everyone to jump on the bandwagon with me.

And fuck Sandusky's pension. They better figure out a way to eliminate that.

Forever

Banned

I don't think the students have anything to be personally ashamed of, but I don't see how anyone could have any pride in the institution with the knowledge of how thoroughly corrupt it is. To put it another way, I don't think it's fair to say that students are morally obligated to transfer out (if all truly conscientious people leave, how will they set the institution straight?), but I hope that those who stay hold no illusions about the nature of their school and what it, as an institution, is guilty of.

Diablos

It's true, it's also the alma mater of Rick Santorum.
And a lot of other people.

Rick Santorum is a douchebag and an ideological loon, but even he wouldn't defend these actions (or lack thereof... except for the pedo who was allowed to sexually molest and assault kids whenever he felt like it while no one else gave a shit).

And a lot of other people.

Rick Santorum is a douchebag and an ideological loon, but even he wouldn't defend these actions (or lack thereof... except for the pedo who was allowed to sexually molest and assault kids whenever he felt like it while no one else gave a shit).

No, but he would spin them into another reason we should outlaw gay marriage.

I don't think the students have anything to be personally ashamed of, but I don't see how anyone could have any pride in the institution with the knowledge of how thoroughly corrupt it is.
To a certain extent that's why I think the most egregious behavior here is really Spanier. The attempt to firewall the entire affair within the athletic dept would be reprehensible but understandable from the perspective of human selfishness and fear. But once it hits the President's office you'd think the broader responsibility to the University (to say nothing of the victims) would compel action. Alas, no.

Punished, most definitely. But it's not like the entire program was guilty of this conspiracy, it was really confined to a select few individuals who should be treated with no mercy. But the football program is a HUGE thing, and 99% of the program had absolutely zero to do with this. So to cancel the entire program due to the acts of a very few, honestly that just seems like using a sledgehammer to drive a finishing nail.

But yeah, an example does need to be made here. It's gonna be controversial no matter what the NCAA does.

The problem is that confining the punishment to just the offending people may not be enough of a deterrent to other programs. This all happened because priorities became unfathomably out of whack, and the reputation and survival of the football program was paramount above literally everything else.

If another school's program becomes incredibly successful and profitable, administrators may still feel covering up a similar scandal is "worth it" if there is no real threat to the program even if they are caught harboring a pedophile.

Pollux

It doesn't even have to be something as serious as Sandusky or UW either. People fly into a state of disbelief and aggressive defense when just allegations are brought against their program. See: Cam Newton and Auburn, Oregon and Nike, Kentucky's basketball program, etc.

Kalnos, my friend, please never compare our bball program to Pedo State ever again...for the love of God...

Kalnos

Banned
Kalnos, my friend, please never compare our bball program to Pedo State ever again...for the love of God...

I'm just saying that fans get extremely defensive of their favorite team over even the smallest of issues, it doesn't take something this large. I'm not comparing the schools, don't worry. :p

Pollux

I'm just saying that fans get extremely defensive of their favorite team over even the smallest of issues, it doesn't take something this large. I'm not comparing the schools, don't worry. :p

Ah well yes...i recall my priest giving homilies that somehow tied UK bball into whatever the Gospel reading of that week/day was. As a state, we certainly are devoted to our Wildcats. In that regard you are correct.

CorvoSol

As sick and twisted as this sounds, a film or novel based on all of this would be story of the year. Thing sells and writes itself. We have vanishing DA's, cult-like culture, cover-up going as high as the governor, riots, trials, slimy defense attorney, all we need now is a cop-and-prosecutor duo who can carry us through the whole plot and BAM, best-seller.

Again, I realize it sounds sick and twisted, but if I was a good writer, I'd be penning the story of "Barry Landunsky" instead of posting on GAF.

As sick and twisted as this sounds, a film or novel based on all of this would be story of the year. Thing sells and writes itself. We have vanishing DA's, cult-like culture, cover-up going as high as the governor, riots, trials, slimy defense attorney, all we need now is a cop-and-prosecutor duo who can carry us through the whole plot and BAM, best-seller.

Again, I realize it sounds sick and twisted, but if I was a good writer, I'd be penning the story of "Barry Landunsky" instead of posting on GAF.
In a couple of years im sure there will be a law and order episode about this.

JABEE

What worries me is how many sports programs might be shielding this kind of thing. Penn State is not the only popular and extremely insular sports program in existence and child molestation is not as rare as people would like to believe. Get enough power and money involved and really shady shit just gets swept under the rug.
I think there needs to be FBI investigations of all the big insular sports programs in College Football. It's time to clean them out like the Catholic Church.

Korey

Where any of the other people involved in the scandal (either directly, like the enablers, or indirectly) convicted or punished? Are there still investigations ongoing?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
There was a thread about it actually.

Pensions don't just go away because you become a felon. Doesn't work like that (as far as I know). Any 'defense force' for it is just common sense GAF.

there's a number of listed offenses that would forfeit a PSU employee's pension, Sandusky's just happen to not be on the list. For instance, perjury would have foreited his pension.

border

Yea you probably are. I actually respect them for doing that. They're showing some goddamn respect for the victims.

Point being that nobody's going to recognize someone from a courtroom sketch. I understand not publishing names or photographs of victims.

Shiv47

From Deadspin:

Circumstantially, the Jerry Sandusky case keeps getting worse and worse for Joe Paterno. Circumstantially. This past weekend, CNN described an email that Penn State's now-former athletic director, Tim Curley, allegedly sent to other university officials in 2001, canceling plans to report Sandusky to the Pennsylvania Department of Welfare:

After giving it more thought and talking it over with Joe yesterday, I am uncomfortable with what we agreed were the next steps.

It's not clear what Paterno may have said to Curley. As a Paterno family spokesperson said over the weekend, the head coach never used email, so he did not participate in the discussions. All we have is a claim that Paterno said something, and then the officials decided not to report Sandusky, after all.

So it's one more point on a timeline that looks damning to the sainted head coach—but only indirectly damning. If you still want to believe that Joe Paterno did not shelter and enable a serial predator, you can. You just have to imagine some hypothetical alternative narratives.

May 1999: One year after Penn State police investigate allegations of inappropriate behavior by Sandusky, Joe Paterno meets with Sandusky and tells him that, contrary to widespread assumptions, Sandusky will not inherit the head coaching job when Paterno retires. The implication is that Paterno learned about Sandusky's abuse and decided to quietly protect the football team. But what if it was an innocent coincidence?

PATERNO: How ya doin', Jerry? Sit down. Did she get you some coffee? You sure? OK. Look, Jerry. We've worked together for, what, 30 years? I'm gonna be square about this. I've heard some stuff that's really troubling me. I know you've been counting on the head coaching job someday, when my time is over. But with what I now know, I can't have that happen. Not in good conscience. Look at this report, Jerry. [Pauses] Do you understand what this says?

I'll tell you what it says.

It says Shaun King had a passer rating of 183.3 at Tulane, Jerry. Tulane! Tim Rattay had 46 touchdowns at Louisiana Tech. Daunte Culpepper completed 73.6 percent of his passes at Central gosh-darn Florida. These are nothing programs, Jerry, and they're slicing people up with those spread offenses.

The 21st century is going to belong to innovative offensive schemes, Jerry. You can coach the hell out of a 4-3 defense, I know. I've seen you do it. But the next head coach has to be part of the revolution. It's gonna have to be somebody from the other side of the ball. I'm sorry, Jerry. It's not enough to keep points off the board anymore. I know this is gonna seem unfair to you. But I have to look in the mirror and know I've done the right thing for this whole football program.

February 2001: Athletic director Tim Curley tells Paterno that officials intend to report child-abuse allegations against Sandusky to the state Department of Welfare. After their conversation, the plan is abandoned. The implication is that Paterno discouraged the university from acting against Sandusky. But what if it means he had the opposite reaction?

PATERNO: Good! Good! Turn the perverted bastard in! I can't believe the lies he got away with. I'll be the first to testify against this animal. This will destroy the football program, and it will destroy the university, and by God, we deserve it, letting an abomination like this happen, on our watch. I'll tear the stadium apart with my own two hands!

CURLEY: Destroy th—... Uh... Yes, OK, yes, absolutely, Joe. Absolutely. We'll report everything. You're right. We'll email in a report tomorrow, first thing, how about?

PATERNO: I don't understand this email business. Is that how you do stuff like that, these days?

CURLEY: Oh, yeah, it's the best way to do it, nowadays. Don't worry, we'll handle it.

PATERNO: If that's the best way to stop this monster, then get on the emailer. Email on him. I really oughta learn how to use this stuff.

CURLEY: Don't worry, Joe. We got it. We'll email him in.

Summer 2007: Sandusky brings one of his victims to Penn State preseason football practice. The implication is that Paterno stood by and allowed Sandusky to continue his behavior, even after he knew about the abuse allegations. But what if Paterno didn't know what was really happening?

PATERNO: Wait a doggone minute. Who let that deviant out here on the field? And he's got a kid with him!

UNIDENTIFIED PSU OFFICIAL: Oh! Well—

PATERNO: I thought somebody emailed on him! To the cops! Why isn't he in prison? What's he doing on my sideline?

UNIDENTIFIED PSU OFFICIAL: Yeah, that's his... probation officer. Plainclothes.

PATERNO: That kid? He's 12 years old.

UNIDENTIFIED PSU OFFICIAL: He's baby-faced. He used to do liquor raids when he was with the state troopers. Don't let his height fool you.

PATERNO: Well, I'll be. I coulda sworn he was a kid. But what's he doing on just probation, after what he did?

UNIDENTIFIED PSU OFFICIAL: That was how they set it up, because of his charity. The Second Mile. They didn't want to ruin it for all the Second Mile kids, so they kept the whole case all on email. Nothing in the papers. It's still basically house arrest. Don't worry. He's not going to have a chance to hurt anybody ever again. That officer has a gun and a can of mace, if he even looks at a kid cross-eyed.

PATERNO: I never heard of such a thing. It sounds kooky to me. That's how they do it now? House arrest, and the email?

UNIDENTIFIED PSU OFFICIAL: Yeah, that's how they do it.

PATERNO: I still don't like having him on my sideline. Guy like that has no business anywhere around our university and our program.

UNIDENTIFIED PSU OFFICIAL: It's for the kids, you know. In the charity. Penn State football means so much to them. If you separate the Second Mile from the football program, who are these kids going to be able to look up to? What's going to inspire them to be tough and play fair, the Joe Paterno way?

PATERNO: I guess if you put it that way, I can live with it. It still turns my stomach, but if it helps those kids, OK. As long as he's really paying the price. House arrest, huh? All these criminal justice majors, and I never once heard of that. How about that? I'm a simple guy. I guess I better stick to football.

UNIDENTIFIED PSU OFFICIAL: It's what you do best, Mr. Paterno. Football.

Not that the PSU scandal is on the scale of the Catholic church scandal but in both cases the higherups were more concerned with keeping the power of their organization and deflecting negative publicity of the organization rather than any concern for the victims or common decency.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Newest Penn State trustee Anthony Lubrano asks for an apology from the board of trustees for firing Joe Paterno.

There are no words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2qI-lH6SIU&feature=youtu.be

Those are some crazy claims no matter when he made them, but apparently he made them earlier this year. I'd like to see him asked point blank about the email evidence that Paterno was talked to and they decided not to report Sandusky to authorities.

NCAA desperately needs to step in and the lay the hammer down. The school isn't going to clean itself up.

fritolay

Already noted the date of video above.

Really I think more needs to be done ASAP at PSU. I don't care what it is, but the cover up needs dealt with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom