• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corbett (PA's current governor) is somehow attached to this I think. I remember that when Corbett was AG he didn't investigate or something. Anyone have any details?

Pollux

The NCAA really has to give PSU's football program the death penalty, right? This new report makes it crystal clear that there was a lot of behind the scenes action by top people at the university to cover up the molestation.
I would think so but with an organization as inconsistent as the NCAA you really never know. Especially with one of the money making programs like PSU.
Hell just getting kicked out of the big 10 will be a huge punishment for the school. SMU has never recovered from what happened to them. I could see PSU's football program being below schools like Temple when this is all done. A lot of the university's luster was connected to the football program.
Agreed, but, personally, I don't think merely being kicked out of the B1G is going far enough. Penn State with the money and support that program has would be able to survive solo, like Notre Dame, and eventually keep making money, etc. The death penalty is the only real way to truly punish the school and the program. Kill it for say 5-10 years and then evaluate at the end of that period and potentially let them start up again in D2 or something. Just my opinion.
Well just realized they won't even need to be punished. The findings alone are going to be punishment as is.
No.

gutshot

Any one have a link to an article that summarizes the report? Don't have the time to read the full thing but would like to know what the most damning evidence is.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
? I'm just not sure how they're going to recover as an institution with the full report now out. Yeah as it's been pointed out they'll still go on but damn this report is going to have a ripple effect over the whole institution.
What they're saying is that the report is going to intensify whatever punishment they're going to get. The report isn't punishment enough.

Paterno is now a confirmed scumbag.

Shiv47

Unfortunately, I don't think much of anything will happen, aside from massive civil suits by the children involved and criminal proceedings against the surviving administrators involved. From what I've been reading, there isn't much that has happened that falls within the NCAA bylaws. The NCAA would have to really stretch some interpretations to make this fall within their scope. And the death penalty is only given to schools that already had a major violation in the previous five years, so that isn't going to happen, as Penn State isn't a repeat offender. There are other punishments that might work similarly, but you won't see a repeat of SMU.

Unfortunately, I don't think much of anything will happen, aside from massive civil suits by the children involved and criminal proceedings against the surviving administrators involved. From what I've been reading, there isn't much that has happened that falls within the NCAA bylaws. The NCAA would have to really stretch some interpretations to make this fall within their scope. And the death penalty is only given to schools that already had a major violation in the previous five years, so that isn't going to happen, as Penn State isn't a repeat offender. There are other punishments that might work similarly, but you won't see a repeat of SMU.
Depending on the severity of violations, the NCAA can invoke the death penalty against a school even though they were not a repeat offender.

Repeat offenders are just more exposed to such a penalty.

Nelo Ice

Banned
What they're saying is that the report is going to intensify whatever punishment they're going to get. The report isn't punishment enough.

Paterno is now a confirmed scumbag.

Ahh ic my bad lol. Was just reading other posts and since it sounded like the school wouldn't be punished I was thinking well if the school won't be punished, the report alone is going to be a killer.

Now I'm pissed I'm at work. Will they have a link to the segment online later today?

It'll probably be on ESPN's YouTube channel.

I just heard Stephen mention this

Penn State received more than $208 million in donations for the fiscal year that just ended, the second-highest total in university history despite the upheaval after the arrest of Jerry Sandusky on child sex abuse charges.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...pite-scandal/2012/07/09/gJQAF7vdYW_story.html

What the hell?

It is crazy that Corbett has been in position to stop two major child abuse scandals, this one and the York sex ring, and he did nothing to stop either one. It would be amazing if the fallout from this took him down but I doubt it.
Yeah, pretty bad. I don't think this will take him down but this will definitely hurt his reelection and his legacy.
I won't be shedding a tear for him

Zhengi

I'm listening to an account of the report on the radio and it sounds horrible what those guys in power did. A lot of the decisions were made to keep Penn State's reputation. I hope their football program burns to the ground along with their reputation.

verbum

Penn State students and alumni are probably in the "I just can't believe this" and "us versus the world" frame of mind right now. There will be some that never get out of that mindset but the majority will accept the reality after a while.
Most of them do not have any more responsibility for this situation than you or I.
I imagine the statue will be taken down quietly after a few weeks.
Hopefully this will make more people think about the money and power involved in college football and maybe, just maybe, some people will start thinking about changing the situation. It will be a while before anything really changes, if it changes at all.
I know I don't see college football as that important in my life as it used to be.

There is a special level of retard towards anyone that donates any money to any fucking university, so this does not surprise me.
Yeah I don't get it. They receive money from the state government and current students, they also get some from the federal government and they get some from the businesses that are allowed to run on their property. Why should I throw money away to a school I went to 10 years ago?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yeah I don't get it. They receive money from the state government and current students, they also get some from the federal government and they get some from the businesses that are allowed to run on their property. Why should I throw money away to a school I went to 10 years ago?

Because you want your name on a plaque over a door.

Hari Seldon

Penn State students and alumni are probably in the "I just can't believe this" and "us versus the world" frame of mind right now. There will be some that never get out of that mindset but the majority will accept the reality after a while.
Most of them do not have any more responsibility for this situation than you or I.
I imagine the statue will be taken down quietly after a few weeks.
Hopefully this will make more people think about the money and power involved in college football and maybe, just maybe, some people will start thinking about changing the situation. It will be a while before anything really changes, if it changes at all.
I know I don't see college football as that important in my life as it used to be.

This is a very sensible response. The way I see it, there is one person responsible for all of this and he is already in jail, and a handful of people responsible for not reporting the 2001 incident (the 1998 incident was investigated by police). It does not surprise me that leaders of a university are corrupt bastards, as I put them in the same category as wall street bankers.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Just when I thought that this was over with Sandusky's conviction, the report indicates that this is only getting started.

If Penn State loses their accreditations, they are royally screwed. It'll be like the SMU football death penalty applied to the whole school.

If I was a Penn State alumnus, I'd be pissed now that the school's reputation is forever ruined.

Hari Seldon

Just when I thought that this was over with Sandusky's conviction, the report indicates that this is only getting started.

If Penn State loses their accreditations, they are royally screwed. It'll be like the SMU football death penalty applied to the whole school.

If I was a Penn State alumnus, I'd be pissed now that the school's reputation is forever ruined.

They are not going to lose their accreditation. What does say, the English department have to do with any of this?

the culture of grandiosity of college football superseding law and doing the right thing should get punished and if it means PSU going down entirely, then so be it

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
SMU got the death penalty for bribing players. I wonder what a college gets for institutionalized tolerance of child rape?

Not sure if Bribing is the correct term, and they got it on their 5th probation. They didn't get the Death Penalty on an "isolated" case.

As a result, SMU's football program was under nearly constant scrutiny from the NCAA from 1974 onward. SMU was placed on probation five times between 1974 and 1985. Overall, SMU had been sanctioned seven times in its history, more than any Division I-A program. In 1985, it had been placed on three years' probation for recruiting violations involving an assistant coach and several boosters. This latest penalty was assessed after former Mustang lineman Sean Stopperich told the NCAA that he and his family had received large amounts of money in order to get him to renege on an oral commitment to his hometown school, the University of Pittsburgh.[3] According to the 2010 ESPN documentary Pony Excess, part of the 30 for 30 series, many of these violations took place with the full knowledge of school administrators.[4] As part of the penalty, the Mustangs were banned from bowl games in 1985 and 1986, and banned from live television in 1986.

They had just got serious penalties starting in 1985, when another thing hit, causing the Death Penalty in 1987.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom