• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People with VR motion sickness - have you found ways to manage?

I bought a PSVR1 in the past and I honestly loved it. But, I couldn't handle games that required free movement. For example, Skyrim came with the system, but I just couldn't handle the free motion with the controller. The games that has stationary position games were fine.

Now, I have a PC and would like to dip my toes back in. I bought half life Alyx a while back expecting to use an FPS mod, but I'm starting to consider a headset again. I assume the tech hasn't exactly advanced in the way of motion sickness.. but maybe I'm wrong.

I feel like I'm missing out on something I really want to get into, but don't want it to be for not if I get sick. Just looking for some opinions if anything can be done.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
You sound highly experienced. I'll take note.
5a4f8845b74b02fe80b10f79c5efa750.gif

Arsic

*Block user*
I’m on my 4th flight delay and have been drinking at the airport.

VR I had to first ease myself with the teleport movement function in Alyx, before I could do actual fluid movement. Fluid I did short sessions, and did it a few times a day to condition myself.

Then I could do a few hour session comfortably.

I’m on my 4th flight delay and have been drinking at the airport.

VR I had to first ease myself with the teleport movement function in Alyx, before I could do actual fluid movement. Fluid I did short sessions, and did it a few times a day to condition myself.

Sorry but all I can think when you say get comfortable is that you listen to this guy

I bought a PSVR1 in the past and I honestly loved it. But, I couldn't handle games that required free movement. For example, Skyrim came with the system, but I just couldn't handle the free motion with the controller. The games that has stationary position games were fine.

Now, I have a PC and would like to dip my toes back in. I bought half life Alyx a while back expecting to use an FPS mod, but I'm starting to consider a headset again. I assume the tech hasn't exactly advanced in the way of motion sickness.. but maybe I'm wrong.

I feel like I'm missing out on something I really want to get into, but don't want it to be for not if I get sick. Just looking for some opinions if anything can be done.
Play for short periods of time and stop when you feel sick.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I built up my VR legs on RE4. It took me about 2 weeks. A few things that might help:
-Have a fan blowing on you
-Immediately stop at the first sign of motion sickness and take a 30-60min break
-March in place when moving in the game
-Turn with you whole body, not controller

In my experience, do not attempt to tough it out. It’s all about building up in increments.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Nope. I tried for months to get used to my Meta Quest 3 and never did. It was so bad that sometimes I would still feel sick for up to 24 hours after playing. I even tried 5-minute sessions, no luck.

Nope. I tried for months to get used to my Meta Quest 3 and never did. It was so bad that sometimes I would still feel sick for up to 24 hours after playing. I even tried 5-minute sessions, no luck.
Ah that's frustrating to hear. I really want to try VR. So much so I consider making a VR room in my house and trying one of those dynamic walking pads. Kinda wanted to see here if anyone tried those if it helped

R6Rider

Gold Member
When I first started with VR the key factors for me:
DO NOT try to play through the nausea. Stop when you feel it coming on.
Ginger gum or candy helps.
A fan facing you helps too.
Just keep playing and stopping as needed. Eventually you should noticed you can play longer and longer.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I am apart of the lucky group who never experienced vr sickness, but I grew up on boats. I hear there is OTC medicine that greatly helps while you are getting acclimated. Also, have a fan blowing on your face, people say that helps.

Last edited:
Sometimes proper setup can help. The default headstraps aren't very good at keeping your screen from bouncing around as you move your head. The bobo vr ones that clamp to your head and hang the screen in front like a psvr are better. Getting the screen reliably centered in focus as close to your eyes as possible takes some time to figure out. Turning down the brightness can help. Some people are just more sensitive but good setup will help.

I am apart of the lucky group who never experienced vr sickness, but I grew up on boats. I here their is OTC medicine that greatly helps while you are getting acclimated. Also, have a fan blowing on your face, people say that helps.
The fan thing is something new I've picked up from this thread. I've definitely considered the OTC meds lol

ssringo

AXcLEtz.jpeg

2vWPYMz.jpeg

Make absolutely sure you're wearing the headset properly. This can easily fuck you up even if you don't get motion sickness normally. Can also help having a durag or something similar on your head to add extra cushion. Play for shorter sessions at first to build up tolerance. Once you start to feel even a bit queasy stop for a bit because it won't go away on it's own.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Got a Quest 2 a while back and played for a week.

Just couldn't get around the sickness that comes around after playing an hour or so.

VR just isn't for me right now. Maybe I'll gift it to some friends this xmas.

Last edited:

Sakura

Nah never got better for me.
If anything I would say my motion sickness has been getting worse. Can't even watch first person videos on Youtube any more. Hell even playing stuff like Zenless Zone Zero makes me feel motion sick some times.

ABnormal

Nah never got better for me.
If anything I would say my motion sickness has been getting worse. Can't even watch first person videos on Youtube any more. Hell even playing stuff like Zenless Zone Zero makes me feel motion sick some times.
That's a conditioned reflex, like Pavlov's dogs. To avoid that, or eliminate that, you have to start again from fixed position games and stay in the same spot for many and many sessions, just looking aroun without moving from that place. In time, the brain learns that there's no problem and it becomes possible to add the next step: teleport and rotate using 30 or 45° grades instant turning movements. After a good number of times, when you feel that it's always fine and comfortable, you can add the next step: free forward locomotion without moving around the head, just loking forward (still keeping the 30 or 45° snap turning). When you are fine with that, you can add a step further to that, and so on.
It's just a matter to instruct the brain that it's all fine, but it's necessary to do it in digestible steps, without hurry, otherwise you can create a conditioned reflex that makes things worse and has to be deleted.
But the possibility to reach full fredom of movement in VR opens to experiences and immersion like anything else. Nothing compares to it.

Free movement is the real VR test. Just keep playing other kind of game and free movement only in short periods. Eventually, you will grow endurance. It took me weeks for me not to sweat while playing RE7.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I started out with an Oculus DK1 back in the days.. Almost enough said.

I played Half-Life in it with 3-DOF.. screen door, lackluster framerates and tracking. Got as sick as I've ever been in my life, 5 days straight nausea and dizziness, immobilized..

..Never got sick again after that, it somehow cured me for life.

I later tested my limits, but even after almost 6-7 hours in a flight sim I would still be able to keep going.

Last edited:
Some good suggestions that I've used: a fan, taking breaks when feeling sick and giving yourself time to adapt (weeks). What helped me with free movement is using my Quest 2 wirelessly and physically turning in place and then also leaning forward a little bit when I'm walking forward. I NEVER turn with the controllers. I had a harder time adapting to racing. The acceleration and braking was killing me until I did many laps around tracks going at grandpa speed lol.

hlm666

If you can't build a tolerance/stamina through short sessions your only bet may be room scale and mixed reality. Alyx can be played like that if you have a big enough play area. If you get a quest 3 it will allow you play some mixed reality stuff. Using VR in both those ways uses your own locomotion to move in VR and should help.

Klik

I have Quest 3..

I get nausea in HL Alyx after 15min but can play Eleven table tennis and simracing games for hours without any nausea and have perfect experience.Dont know why..

Agnyz

Neo Member
Games like Asgard’s Wrath 22 have systems in place to alleviate the symptoms, and it kind of works for even me, who gets motion sickness even by playing some FPS games with a wide field of view, but longer sessions are still out of the question. Hopefully, those techniques will be improved and become the norm.

I remember barely getting through the 15-minute trial of The Climb.

sncvsrtoip

Gold Member
I could play only static games using psvr1, anything with movement and feel sick. No problems using psvr2 so in my case resolution was cause (though have to use snap camera turning). You can try using fan directed to face + snap camera rotation and also play short seasions and stop immedietly you feel bad, you should increace your vr sessions lenght in time.

Last edited:

Rudius

Gay sex with the homies before and after.

VR is no issue after a session of the bros playing peekaboo with your asshole.

Gobble gobble gawk gawk.

Also, repeated use is the only way VR got better for me on Alyx.
A fan blowing your head will help.

Madjako

I had the same pb, i was sick with PSVR1. Now with PSVR2 it's night and day, I can play for long sessions without being sick.
I'll buy the PC adapter and enjoy Alix and youtube VR again (available on ps4 but not ps5!).

Stitch

Gold Member
On PC you could try Natural Locomotion
It really helped me a lot.

the hand movement looks stupid, but it somehow tricked my brain and I didn't get sick. After a few months I didn't even need the software anymore :)
some games even have arm swinging locomotion + other comfort options built in. but teleport is most likely the best for beginners.

Last edited:

Audiophile

I just pushed through, my body ain't telling me what I can do. You'll feel much better after you throw up.

Four or five sessions of Eve Valkyrie, Driveclub VR in the third person camera and Resident Evil VII; all with lots of flying/driving/walking backwards and I got my sea legs. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
For me it requires getting rid of anything that might make the world spin.
Snap turns are my anti queazy fix.

It's better to physically turn your actual body around to look behind you than to just use the controller to spin your view.

That means that Roller Coaster VR rides still give me that stomach lurch. :( Snap turning on a ride isn't fun.

CLW

I suffer from simulation sickness from FPS games 5 mins and I’m puking my guts out.

Just came up out of the blue one day when I was a kid playing 007 on the n64 like I had a million times before.

Last edited:

Arsic

I suffer from simulation sickness from FPS games 5 mins and I’m puking my guts out.

Just came up out of the blue one day when I was a kid playing 007 on the n64 like I had a million times before.
I found the solution to this was never play games below 75 FOV and games back then were NOT 75.

I usually do 90 FOV, turn off motion blur, head bob, etc and I’m good.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Turn off constant turn camera movement. The only thing that makes me not motion sick.

30º or 45º turning camera.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Play short sessions of fast-paced first person games like Wolfenstein 3D VR or DOOM (GZDOOM).

I started feeling sick but the body and mind get used to it.

StueyDuck

You just have to keep playing a build up an immunity

Learn to move less and use the controls more. Everyone's first instinct is to move around the room and whip their head around.

Learn to try and do minimal movements. If you can turn with an analog then do so. Don't spin around

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I have Quest 3..

I get nausea in HL Alyx after 15min but can play Eleven table tennis and simracing games for hours without any nausea and have perfect experience.Dont know why..
Constant turning camera movement. Change to 30º or 45º.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Gay sex with the homies before and after.

VR is no issue after a session of the bros playing peekaboo with your asshole.

I had to first ease myself with the teleport movement function in Alyx, before I could do actual fluid movement. Fluid I did short sessions, and did it a few times a day to condition myself.

I made a mistake by buying a second-hand VR device.

Ribi

Chew gum.

also, mind over matter. I get TERRIBLY car sick, but when i play VR i know its just a screen and my body accepts it. I played pavlov the other day lying down with 0 issues whatsoever.

Danknugz

1. never strafe
2. if it ever start feeling weird, stop playing, it's already going to make you have to lay down and pushing through it will only make it worse.
3. never turn with the stick, only use it to go forwards/ backwards and turn your body physically instead
4. blinking your eyes can alleviate adverse affects

using the above guidelines, i got my vr legs in a couple months.

Top Bottom