• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable |OT|: Mixing Things Up for Third Trimester

Oyashiro

I've never played a Persona game before until just a few days ago. I started playing Persona 4 and I absolutely love it. My friend tells me P4 is much better than P3, so should I still pick this up? Do you guys think it's better/worse/on par?

Gattsu25

Banned
Yaweee said:
Yes. In the original releases of P3, how many fights it would take for you to get tired would increase as you gained levels, so the second half of the game it was pretty straightforward to do it in one night(or maybe 2, if you were doing the quests). Healing was free whenever you returned the lobby. In P4, there wasn't any tired system, but healing yourself in the dungeons was really goddamn expensive.

P3P has neither restriction; it's like they misplaced a decimal point by one or two places compared to how much healing costs in P4, or even Trish's Fountain in P2.

Your teammates do still get if you exit a floor with them dead. They return to the lobby, but will be tired if you bring them back into your active party. This actually caused me to bail once on Maniacs, as they got one-shotted by a Beetle, and were thus unable to survive even a single hit from the F10 hand bosses (The penalty for being tired is double damage, and some reduced damage dealth, I think).

I can't find any information whether other status ailments increase damage received like they did in FES' hard mode, or if the only real difference is the % damage increase like it was in P4.

Apparently it is a known issue with most PSP games that use optional data installs. When you go into sleep mode, it will fail to access the data install, and instead use the UMD to load everything until you enable it again in the config menu.

If you have the PSN verison, you aren't using the data install function or have a disk for it to fall back on, so there is no issue. I really, really wish I had bought the PSN version
Thanks for the explanations!

Well, I started playing this last night but didn't make it to combat yet. Off to play the game now.

hamchan

Oyashiro said:
I've never played a Persona game before until just a few days ago. I started playing Persona 4 and I absolutely love it. My friend tells me P4 is much better than P3, so should I still pick this up? Do you guys think it's better/worse/on par?
P3P fixes many issues with the original P3. If you love P4 you should love P3P too, go pick it up.

Yaweee

Oyashiro said:

Might as well just play through 4 and then decide. Nobody here has played enough of the game yet to really decide (I think only one or two JGAFers played it). P4 had much better gameplay than P3FES, and one of P3Ps major selling points is that it backwards incorporates most of those improvements, and adds some more on top of that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oyashiro said:

If you liked the combat system in P4, I would say P3 is slightly, very slightly, worse than P4. It's very streamlined, but the three types of physical attacks is just a bit too much.

That said, the FeMC just adds a whole new perspective to P3 that makes it worth playing for that alone.

Barrett2

Peff said:
The dungeon is generated randomly, so sometimes the floor won't have a teleport point, but when they do it'll be marked in the map as a little square (you have to find it first though). Some of the floors are not random, and those have a permanent teleport point which you can use to start from there next time you go to Tartarus. The first one of these is Floor 5

Cool, thanks.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I like the world and plot of P3 a bit more than P4, but P4's a better "game." But P3 has Junpei so P3 dumps royally on P4.

Jerk

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I like the world and plot of P3 a bit more than P4, but P4's a better "game." But P3 has Junpei so P3 dumps royally on P4.

This is more or less what I find myself feeling right now (first time).

I will have to see if I like the entire thing better than P4 (doubtful), but I do like certain things more.

antispin

Someone please explain how the persona compendium works. Does it autobackup everything I create and then I need to sync it so that the backup matches the persona's latest levels? If I backup, do the personas leave my mind? Why would I need to restore from a backup? Can i backup a persona, then fuse the version in my mind and then restore the backup version? The price is restore price right, not backup price?

Is there an online manual? The PSN version doesn't come with one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
antispin said:
Someone please explain how the persona compendium works. Does it autobackup everything I create and then I need to sync it so that the backup matches the persona's latest levels? If I backup, do the personas leave my mind? Why would I need to restore from a backup? Can i backup a persona, then fuse the version in my mind and then restore the backup version? The price is restore price right, not backup price?

Is there an online manual? The PSN version doesn't come with one.

There's a manual in pdf form on the Atlus website.

The compendium backs up the first instance of whatever Persona you "capture" or create. Anything after needs to be registered or you will lose it.

hamchan

antispin said:
If I backup, do the personas leave my mind?

No

Why would I need to restore from a backup?

If you want that persona again and you don't have it in your party. I think you can also use the compendium to farm skill cards.

Can i backup a persona, then fuse the version in my mind and then restore the backup version?

Yes, this is what it's mainly used for.

The price is restore price right, not backup price?

Yep.

The game is reccomending that I play the guy, I've not played P3. I played P4 and wanted to play as the girl but...what should I do?

DR2K

Banned
robut said:
The game is reccomending that I play the guy, I've not played P3. I played P4 and wanted to play as the girl but...what should I do?

Play who you want.

hamchan

robut said:

Play either one. You should ask yourself though, do you want to play as a creepy looking guy or a nice looking girl?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
hamchan said:
Play either one. You should ask yourself though, do you want to play as a creepy looking guy or a nice looking girl?

That said, it's funny that the guy can manslut it up with pretty much every woman in the game but the girl only has a couple of guys to choose between.

tokkun

hamchan said:

Maybe you should ask yourself whether you want to seduce multiple women or multiple men.

Hesemonni

Banned
I'm torn between playing the game portable in comfy bed & progressing quicker & missing a few cutscenes and playing FES on big screen & getting all the eye candy...

DiddyBop

As an owner of the og P3 and FES, P3P seems to be the best version of the game imo. everything is so streamlined, makes playing the game for extended period of time alot better. also load times are basically non existent its amazing! playin P3 for a third time has reminded me how good the music is in this game,im falling in love with this game all over again.

Im really looking forward to P4P and P5.

I got to the first full moon and had been neglecting Tartarus. Bad idea, luckily I had a save from a couple days prior and did some lvling up. Really love this game. Soo much to do.

Barrett2

Junpei's wide-eyed 'surprise' facial animation cracks me up every time I see it. Does anyone have a link of just that?

Just found a rare weapon for my main character (girl): a giant blue & black hockey stick with ATLUS written on it. :lol

Loving this game. Been playing it near non-stop for the last two days. Almost as the second real Full Moon Battle.

_dementia said:
I picked up the PSP stamina battery too. It's way better than my old battery's life.

Yeah, I imported the JP stamina pack with the white battery cover for the PSP-2000 star wars edition . Best decision I've ever made for my PSP as there hasn't been a white 2000/3000 released in the states since the Star Wars pack. I love that mine is now all white (no ugly darth vader print) and has an average of 10 hours battery time on a full charge! :D

The scond best decision I've made for my PSP was buying the PSN version of P3P!

Tamanon

Banned
My *ONLY* complaint about the game. The Defend button being right next to the Persona change button. On the PSP screen, it's easy to hit the wrong one.

Wizpig

Some guys here are complaining about the english dub.
Is it their first time playing the game or did they change the dub from P3 FES?

StuBurns

Banned
Tamanon said:
My *ONLY* complaint about the game. The Defend button being right next to the Persona change button. On the PSP screen, it's easy to hit the wrong one.
I hate that the run away button is on that wheel, should be hold the triggers or something.

Yaweee

I wish they had kept the unlimited # of quests you could be on from P4.

Anyhow, I'm liking the version so far. Almost at the first full-moon event, a little over 4 hours in. Theo "dates" and the Junpei S. Link are both nice so far.

The music seems a bit too quiet.

Wizpig said:

No, the dub is the same, with new lines added for the MShe's story and the replaced animated cutscenes.

Wilsongt

Y2Kev said:
Wikipedia gave me the wrong answer re: the Jomon period :\

Yeah... If you just search Jomon period, you can't find the answer. =/ I had to click a link within the article to find what I was looking for. This is where a strategy guide would be nice. I need my academic points, damnit.

I love how often you find floors with strange anomalies in P3P. At least, it feels WAY more common than in FES. Currently going through a floor with all red Shadows. Gathering some crazy EXP. :D
Wizpig said:
Must be their first time.

Aside from some dialogue changes for the girl's side, it's the same exact dub from FES.

Tamanon

Banned
WTF at how strong Tam Lin's Resistances are for a level 13 persona. Strong against Slash/Fire/Lightning, Null Hama, no weaknesses.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wilsongt said:
Yeah... If you just search Jomon period, you can't find the answer. =/ I had to click a link within the article to find what I was looking for. This is where a strategy guide would be nice. I need my academic points, damnit.

GameFAQs!

jcm

I'm so happy to be back at Gekkoukan, and I'm really enjoying the new stuff in the female MC story. This is the third time I've bought this game, and the third time I've played through it, and I'm still totally in love. I'm kind of bummed that my only romance options are guys, though. I was hoping Mitsuru might be une femme avec l'esprit ouvert.

joelseph

Wilsongt said:

Google, you won't even have to follow the gamefaq link that holds the answer.

Hmm... I don't know if saying this is permitted but I searched for threads with the term and they popped up so I'll just leave the information here:

The undub will pop up soon, the guy who did it apparently finished already and is uploading it now. Of course I guess linking to it is out of bounds and I wouldn't either way.

Hopefully the people interested in experiencing the original japanese voice actors will have paid for the game beforehand and stuff, this game really deserves it and all. So yeah, message given.

Galang

Banned
Y2Kev said:

This is exactly how I feel between P3 - P4. I think the improvements of P3P will make it my favorite in the series so far. Especially being portable, it makes grinding a lot less of a hassle.

How do you get your stats (charm,courage) to upgrade. I have studied and gone to the movies. both say the stat has increased, yet nothing changes in the status screen.

Tamanon

Banned
darkjedi187 said:
How do you get your stats (charm,courage) to upgrade. I have studied and gone to the movies. both say the stat has increased, yet nothing changes in the status screen.

It takes time, each bar on the status screen needs a certain amount of points to raise. They're basically levels.

Peff

darkjedi187 said:

There is an invisible level meter, once you get enough points by doing activities the meter in the status screen will be updated. This goes for the Social Links too, but you won't notice that until you level them up a few times, and it's easier if you have a Persona of the same card of the Tarot (it'll give an EXP boost to the relationship).

Nekobo

Can't believe I'm getting sucked into this game again...:D

I decide to name my female MC Mina Ari, derived from the MC's manga name Minato Arisato.

But yeah, the game seems a lot easier with direct controls and the revised fatigue system. Yukari was like "I'm getting tired" but I went on to fight like two more bosses...and her condition still reads "Good."

Haven't done any social links, but I do appreciate the part-time jobs that increases multiple attributes at once.

Top Bottom