• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable |OT|: Mixing Things Up for Third Trimester

Jerk

Banned
Dresden said:
You crazy chaps with your crazy skills. I found Nocturne difficult for almost the entire way, but I might just be a little bitch.

Really? Even on Hard mode it was pretty simple to take advantage of.

But I do have mad skills with RPG systems :p

To keep me humble, god made me suck at FPSs.

Segata Sanshiro said:
It is most fortuitous for you that every single change they've made with this port makes the game better for you.
Did you somehow miss the months I spent in the Japanese announcement complaining about the lack of in-engine cutscenes and the big change to Shinji in Girl's Side that I have a feeling is going to ruin the game? :|

I AM JOHN! said:
Did you somehow miss the months I spent in the Japanese announcement complaining about the lack of in-engine cutscenes and the big change to Shinji in Girl's Side that I have a feeling is going to ruin the game? :|
Yes, I did. Truthfully I have trouble spotting you without Hugh Jackman under your name. It's like he was shouting "I AM JOHN!" but now you just have this guy who doesn't look like he could shout anything. Tragic.

Sophia

Segata Sanshiro said:
I don't like how they've simplified the physical attacks.

There are still three types of physical attacks in Portable. They merely limited the protagonist to one type of weapon (like Persona 4)

Marrshu said:
There are still three types of physical attacks in Portable. They merely limited the protagonist to one type of weapon (like Persona 4)
Really? That's contrary to what I've heard. Someone with the JP version wanna clear this up?

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes, I did. Truthfully I have trouble spotting you without Hugh Jackman under your name. It's like he was shouting "I AM JOHN!" but now you just have this guy who doesn't look like he could shout anything. Tragic.
Oh. Well, it totally happened!! :(

Marrshu said:
Are you sure about this? This is not what the research I did when writing this thread has told me...

Sophia

Segata Sanshiro said:
Really? That's contrary to what I've heard. Someone with the JP version wanna clear this up?

No need to clear it up, I actually checked on YouTube before posting. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp5FYnbpthw&feature=related (Note: HUGE LARGE SPOILERS) End of the video when they level up. You can see the three physical attacks still have their own category.

Both protagonists wield slash weapons. Mitsuru is now piercing attacks, I think.

Edit: Spoiler Free Image

pirata

What the hell? Then what is the point of not having the protagonist wield multiple weapon types? That's stupid!

Sophia

pirata said:
What the hell? Then what is the point of not having the protagonist wield multiple weapon types? That's stupid!

Streamlined weapons + They don't have to make multiple sets of animations for each protagonist. (14 sets of animation versus two...)

Segata Sanshiro said:
So much for that pierce-only boss being easier now, hunh? Shit just got a lot harder.

But you can control Yukari now so she won't be so goddamn stupid. And if Mitsuru is now pierce, which makes a lot more sense now than before because she is a fencer, then you've got 2 characters under your direct control with piercing attacks. I don't see the problem here, just make your MC the healer for that fight.

Shouta

Unknown Soldier said:
But you can control Yukari now so she won't be so goddamn stupid. And if Mitsuru is now pierce, which makes a lot more sense now than before because she is a fencer, then you've got 2 characters under your direct control with piercing attacks. I don't see the problem here, just make your MC the healer for that fight.

Yep. I think part of the reason why they removed the MC's ability to wield any weapon (aside from technical reasons) was also to balance out the fact that you can control your party in this version of the game. I really like P3P on the whole myself. The game is really a lot more playable from a ease of use perspective.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I have a question. I know they cut the animes, but did they cut ALL the anime's ? I only thought they cut a few of them originally.

Also, it's still retaining all the voice work right ?

chandoog said:
I have a question. I know they cut the animes, but did they cut ALL the anime's ? I only thought they cut a few of them originally.

Reading reviews, the voices remain, actually they even added more for the female part, lol, awesome.

chandoog said:

If they weren't gonna keep the first summoning anime scene why keep the more superfluous anime stuff?

Wizpig

I AM JOHN! said:
I'm not trying to single you out or anything, but...

Maybe the fact that Tatsumi Port Island never really clicked with me so I don't care about no longer getting to explore it has something to do with it (and as I've said in the past, if they make a P4P and give it this exact treatment, I probably will not play it because that, to me, would rip out a lot of the charm of Inaba), but this is the most petty argument I have ever read. We've spent years criticizing companies for lazily porting PS2 games to the PSP without taking the time to design it with the handheld in mind, and rightfully so. Even if you ignore the graphics not being as good on PSP or the lack of a second stick or any of the other technological differences between the two, there's a bigger divide between the two platforms: a handheld game should be a game designed to be played on a handheld. The fact that I can put it in sleep mode does not change the fact that the best handheld games are designed to be played in short bursts (but can also accommodate marathon sessions) and are as pick-up-and-playable as possible. For better or for worse (and believe me, I'm not sure it is for the better), Atlus went the extra mile and completely redesigned the game with the PSP in mind, and then some. And now you're criticizing them for not just putting the game as it was on consoles on PSP?

Guess what: if you want to play a console game, go play it on consoles and stop whining.
But this IS a console game!
That's my point/opinion.
Just like MGS Peace Walker, these are games we usually see on consoles, but... on the PSP.

I wouldn't have liked "P3FES" on PSP as a direct porting: I like what they added, like the female MC... I just would have liked even more if they kept everything the Ps2 version did right, like the exploration, or better said the fact that you had direct control on the MC.

I mean, maybe having to run in school every day was "slow" for some people?
But here you are playing on a portable, you can play on the go, it's not a big deal anymore like when you were playing on your Ps2+TV.

I'll admit I'm usually the first one that criticizes people who want a home console game on a portable, and my answer usually is
Guess what: if you want to play a console game, go play it on consoles and stop whining.
, but since the PSP is famous (God of War, Daxter, MGS, GTA...) for this kind of home consoles games
usually with less features than their home console counterparts
on an handheld... the one time they make a Ps2 porting/remake that I care for - Persona 3 - they change the things I liked to make it more portable-like :'(

That said...
I'm going to preorder this :D i'm not really in the mood of Ps2 playing since it's summer, but I want myself some P3.

Reknoc

Wizpig said:
I mean, maybe having to run in school every day was "slow" for some people?
But here you are playing on a portable, you can play on the go, it's not a big deal anymore like when you were playing on your Ps2+TV.

Uh right, but cutting stuff like running around the hub world makes the game better suited if you're playing it for a short burst on the bus/train before school/work whatever maybe for a quick grind or something without wasting time having to walk places.

Dresden said:
You crazy chaps with your crazy skills. I found Nocturne difficult for almost the entire way, but I might just be a little bitch.

nocturne is not that hard once you abuse buffs and debuffs, you only die to lazy random instant kills. just a few reasons why the following games are like a generation higher in game design.

I really don't understand the complaints about not having to run around. I would think that this same sort of complaint would apply to the Square Button instant travel as well, personally I don't really care as it wasn't that great a hub city to begin with and I've seen it far too much to begin to give a shit.

Weird on the 3 weapon types still being in though. Should make things a bit more frantic.

What the fuck? This came out already? Shit, need to buy this....question: can you play using just the d-pad? I think my PSP's analog nub's broken off.

Volcynika

Whoompthereitis said:
What the fuck? This came out already? Shit, need to buy this....question: can you play using just the d-pad? I think my PSP's analog nub's broken off.

It comes out tomorrow. :p

Man, now I'm excited to play this. Think I got about 10-15 hours into the PS2 version. This'll be great on a portable.

EDIT: Just read the OP- the changes they made sound great. I love that they overhauled the fatigue system. Nothing was more frustrating than having your party members get all tired and shit.

graywolf323

Unknown Soldier said:
See, the part that is stupid to me is that because they didn't want to create new content for the female MC, they TOOK AWAY content from the canonical male MC. The anime cutscenes, the in-engine cutscenes, the different weapon types. What was the point of taking away content? Just leave it in and explain the female MC is a "side-story" and some content is different when you pick the character. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

or just copied Harvest Moon and released two editions

Persona 3 Portable: Boy
Persona 3 Portable: Girl

:lol

FredFish

Snapshot King said:
Hopefully cuz fuck playing off the UMD, I need all the battery life I can get.

IIRC you could do a full install to mem stick so no need for the UMD. No idea if it plays nice with CFW tho

stawnkald

So Gamestop is going to have this in tomorrow, yeah? It says ships in 24 on their website, but I haven't gotten the robocall yet.

stawnkald said:
So Gamestop is going to have this in tomorrow, yeah? It says ships in 24 on their website, but I haven't gotten the robocall yet.

Just preordered it at a local Gamestop. They told me Wednesday.

depward

Holy Order Sol said:
At what time are new PS Store releases usually made available? This is my first time buying something day one there.

Part of the fun is logging in during the afternoon, seeing if the update is live, not seeing anything, searching for what you want to download and seeing that it IS up but the main page isn't reflecting the new store update. I swear, sometimes I do that (most recently with Hot Shots Tennis) and I get some ridiculously good download speeds (i.e. grabbing the download before the rush).

But yeah, I'd say somewhere between 2 - 4 PST normally.

Shouta

Sagitario said:
Did the japanese version run on custom firmware? I'm guessing there's no news yet about the western release...

It did but no guarantee for the English version.

Lain

Dedication Through Light said:
Hm then Ill have to hunt down the old soundtrack

You should get the last live concert DVD, so you can watch Meguro rocking his guitar in the spotlight for The Almighty.

FredFish said:
IIRC you could do a full install to mem stick so no need for the UMD. No idea if it plays nice with CFW tho

Hopefully it does. I really don't want to be put in the situation where I can't patch the iso, and my UMD version doesn't want to play with my CFW. It'd make me sad =(

I plan on picking this up from my local Gamestop tomorrow. I should have reserved a copy, but I was waffling back forth between buying the UMD or PSN version. Does anyone know if the Junpei hat is actually packaged in with the game?

Amazon says it is, so I'm hoping that the Gamestop copies will be the same as well...

Reluctant-Hero said:
I plan on picking this up from my local Gamestop tomorrow. I should have reserved a copy, but I was waffling back forth between buying the UMD or PSN version. Does anyone know if the Junpei hat is actually packaged in with the game?

Amazon says it is, so I'm hoping that the Gamestop copies will be the same as well...

I don't think it's packaged in because it's being touted as a pre-order bonus everywhere.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I got a $50 gift card for the PSN store, and with no Vagrant Story in sight, this shall be mine.:D

Pulled out my PSP just now. Christ, the thing was coated in so much damn dust!

I don't think I've touched it in over a year, still had Mega Man Powered up inside, from a trip I took in Christmas '08. Looking forward to Persona this week though!

Snapshot King said:
I don't think it's packaged in because it's being touted as a pre-order bonus everywhere.

Cool. I guess it's only Amazon only for the pack-in, or so their information page says so. I'll just take my chances on a retail version.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Whoompthereitis said:
Pulled out my PSP just now. Christ, the thing was coated in so much damn dust!

I don't think I've touched it in over a year, still had Mega Man Powered up inside, from a trip I took in Christmas '08. Looking forward to Persona this week though!

Just popping into this thread to make sure I'm here for the eventual "So, I don't think I like JRPGs" thread. ;)

(I feel Persona 3 is 1/4 Diablo 2 [at least if you did Persona fusing weapons in FES] 1/4 JRPG elements 1/4 Dating Sim and 1/4 SMT)

Reluctant-Hero said:
Cool. I guess it's only Amazon only for the pack-in, or so their information page says so. I'll just take my chances on a retail version.

I just hate it when it is external stuff with the gamestop lol, sometimes they forget it comes with stuff or they just dont even up getting that preorder bonus thing cause it didnt arrive in the shipment or something. Theyre just weird.

Or in crappier stores, the employees takes any extra pre-order items beyond what are need for reservations. Especially since it's common knowledge that there is quite a large demand for pre-order bonus items on eBay...

Top Bottom