• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable |OT|: Mixing Things Up for Third Trimester

FredFish

SailorDaravon said:
I pre-ordered the game two weeks ago and got my copy this morning. :/

Did you use free shipping or something maybe?

It's super saver shipping but my order status hasn't changed at all. It's the same as it was for the past few months :/

mauaus

Reluctant-Hero said:
Anyways, I went to my office's local Gamestop at lunch to trade in some crap and get the game. Unfortunately they won't get the game until tomorrow. So I picked up two $20 PSN cards and the manager gave me a Junpei hat anyway. Awesome, best of both worlds in my opinion. PSN download and physical pre-order bonus.

Thats cool, i cant wait to get the psn updated already :D
Comeeeeeeeeeeeeeon monkey!

I was interested in this. But taking away the free-roaming is a bit of a turn-off.

But it may be cool as a portable. Sometimes I do get lost in this game because I try to do too much all at once. Maybe making it like Phoenix Wright isn't such a bad thing.

Wizpig said:
Thanks, I thought that last one was for the PSP Go only.

B-b-but guys, you should really buy a physical copy :*
The cover is pretty cool.
The cover has the words 'Shin Megami Tensei' off-kilter from the P3P logo, right? That's a big failure on the cover design part.

mauaus

demonkaze said:
Whats the best and quickest place to get PSN cards from online?
maximuscards.com
its instant but its a few $ more expensive...
$50 are $59
$20 are $25
$10 are $15

It is safe though, i use google checkout although paypal is accepted too

demonkaze

mauaus said:
maximuscards.com
its instant but its a few $ more expensive...
$50 are $59
$20 are $25
$10 are $15

It is safe though, i use google checkout although paypal is accepted too

Nice one man, thats a great site.

psycho17

Got my copy from amazon about an hour ago and just started playing. I couldn't resist putting the hat on and wearing it for the rest of the day.

mileS

YAY! Downloading now but I have to leave for work in an hour :(

1094mb is kind of small for such a huge game isn't it?

Wow Junpei is pretty hilarious.

Are the values for I guess Charm and all that just hidden the whole game? I just did a classroom thing and it said it rose, but, lol, I want to know what it is.

Yaweee

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow Junpei is pretty hilarious.

Are the values for I guess Charm and all that just hidden the whole game? I just did a classroom thing and it said it rose, but, lol, I want to know what it is.

Should be in your MCs status menu. It doesn't give you precise values, only which of 6 ranks you're currently at.

Pappasman

Almost finished downloading. This will be my first time playing Persona 3. I loved P4 so I hope that this lives up to the hype.

Wow that was pretty intense the first time the main character puts the gun to his head and the Persona comes out, lol. Awesome, I can see myself already being hooked. Its leagues different than Persona 1

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow that was pretty intense the first time the main character puts the gun to his head and the Persona comes out, lol. Awesome, I can see myself already being hooked. Its leagues different than Persona 1

I do hope "different" is not intended as "better". I mean, P3 is probably better than P1, but I hate to see people look past the previous games because 3 and 4 are flashier. Innocent Sin is still by and far my favorite and stands up there with the JRPG Legends in storytelling.

Put a few hours in after work, just past the birds. I really wanted to try out Hard Mode, but I'm not up for dealing with the 4x Compendium bullshit on a first playthrough. Really wish they'd at least have taken that out for non-NG+. Controlling your party definitely helps, especially on bosses as they don't have to "learn" what to do over the course of the first few turns, but I imagine not being able to customize attack type will hurt pretty bad later on.

Curufinwe

Persona 3 and 4 are much be... more enjoyable games to play. But I am glad I made myself finish Persona on the PSP early this year. That last mazy, trap-filled dungeon with no save point just before the final boss was brutal.

Curufinwe

No thanks! :D I have a job now and my gaming time is very limited.

But last year I got thru almost all of Persona PSP, and finished Devil Survivor, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, and Devil Summoner 2, as well as playing tons of P4 and watching the entire Endurance Run. God bless
temporary
unemployment.

Blueblur1

Curufinwe said:
No thanks! :D I have a job now and my gaming time is very limited.

But last year I got thru almost all of Persona PSP, and finished Devil Survivor, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, and Devil Summoner 2, as well as playing tons of P4 and watching the entire Endurance Run. God bless
temporary
unemployment.
I just recognized your username for the first time. You posted in the comments of the endurance run videos (I've been watching them all for the first time recently). Small world.

depward

Really great "port" (1.5 hours in); they did a good enough job for the cutscenes to still make them very enjoyable.

One small niggle - for the female playthrough, there was one dialog exchange where it stated "girl" on the screen but Yukiko said "guy" on the voice-over. But no real biggie.

SO yeah, I remember thinking, "I really wish I could play P3 on a handheld!" so this is just perfect :D

Aeana

I'm enjoying this more than I expected. I liked Persona 3, but I had no intention of ever replaying it. Still, I was curious about the female path, hoping it would fix my problems with the original. That remains to be seen, but up to now, it's been enjoyable, despite 4 different instances of gender mismatch between the text and voice so far within the first hour.

The biggest surprise for me is that the "gimping" isn't bothering me at all, and I really thought it would.

Tonight was Crackdown 2 night. I'm trying to decide if P3P will replace Glory of Heracles as my RPG that I play in transit between and during work when I can no longer concentrate tomorrow.

Edgeward

Sad, you can't do a full install of the game. The spinning of the umd almost makes me want the DD version, but then I look at my hat and all is right again.

zoku88

Are people who enjoyed playing the two previous persona 3 games still finding toys enjoyable? Is the female path bring much new to the table?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
IGN review : 8.5

http://psp.ign.com/articles/110/1104053p2.html

7.5 Presentation
The static navigation screens and lack of cutscenes make you feel less involved in the game, but the story and characters are still interesting and strong.

7.5 Graphics
The visuals are pretty enough and the battle models are good. There’s nothing too crazy going on, but everything’s solid.

8.0 Sound
Catchy (but at times repetitive) tunes and some really good voice work.

8.5 Gameplay
Building relationships that influence your stats, battling Shadows and playing an in-game MMORPG are all good times.

9.0 Lasting Appeal
A Persona 3 playthrough isn’t short, and then there’s the brand new character to play as and different choices to make.

OVERALL

Aeana

The new Magician social link has already made this way better for me than the original game. Kenji was such a creepy guy.

mileS

Greg Miller reviewing a Persona game is kinda strange but whatever. Would have expected him to give it a terrible score.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So does the male story's S link follow the exact same schedule/answers as in FES ?

Shinjitsu said:
My first time playing Persona 3, about 5 hours in now. OMG I love this game so much!

The game slows down considerably in the middle parts, but you need to push on through to the end to experience once of my top 10 game endings of all time. [Kanye]OF ALLLLL TIME!![/Kanye] :lol

Shinjitsu

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
The game slows down considerably in the middle parts, but you need to push on through to the end to experience once of my top 10 game endings of all time. [Kanye]OF ALLLLL TIME!![/Kanye] :lol

Slows down plot-wise? The social link aspect and combat stay just as strong throughout? Really enjoying that part of the game.

Delio

Aeana said:
The new Magician social link has already made this way better for me than the original game. Kenji was such a creepy guy.

Heh i have to agree. Really loving the Magician link now. Now i'm wondering when Lovers link starts.

mileS

Having only played Persona 4 first I have to say this game starts out quite a bit better for the first couple of hours. Really really impressed with the game so far and I can already tell I'm going to be addicted to it all summer.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Just bought a PSP Go for this shit. It's 40 american gwaps on PSN right?

Top Bottom