• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena |EU OT| Heartbeat, Heartbreak

Dantis

arenaotbanner.png

Persona 4 Arena is the first ever region-locked game on the Playstation 3. Despite insistences to the contrary, the release within European territories has been delayed a massive ten months, and as such the game is only now getting a release. I had planned to post this OT ten months late also, to keep to the spirit of this release, however that is against OT rules.
Persona 4 Arena is also a fighting game developed by Arc Systemworks with assistance from Atlus, featuring the full cast of Persona 4, a handful of characters from Persona 3, and a new robot schoolgirl character named Labrys.

The game runs on a heavily modified version of the Blazblue engine, and features Arc's trademarks of stylised 2D animation and fast gameplay.

Developer: Arc Systemworks; Atlus

Platforms: Playstation 3, Xbox 360

Release Date: May 10th, 2013

Price: £34.99

246011ps3a.png
246009xbxa.png

preorderbanner.png

All first-print editions of the game come with a copy of the Arrange soundtrack featuring a Soejima picture on a new background exclusive artwork, and consisting of six remixes of in-game tracks, rearranged by Toshiki Konishi and Atsushi Kitajoh.

On the backside of the slipcase is also a code to download the 'Digital Fan Pack', a collection of wallpapers and Twitter icons. Very exciting!

preorderbonus.jpg

Preordering from GAME specifically will also grab players the Persona 4 Arena Arrange vinyl, which is the same as the above, but on a vinyl.

26921141490523525049410.jpg

lebanner.png

For an additional £14.99, you can get the Limited Edition version of the game, featuring lots of neat collectibles! Included are the following:

- A jigsaw puzzle
- A tote bag
- Two keyrings
- Three Chie badges

81807514.jpg

Final Points

- cj_iwakura's US OT is quite excellent, and goes into great detail in regards to the game mechanics. Rather than make this post considerably more lengthy, I decided it would be simpler just to link the US OT. Take a look, it's worthwhile.

- Mark your spoilers! Even though the game has been out in other regions for ten months already (Have I mentioned that yet? I'm not sure), most EU players likely don't know much about the plot, so don't ruin it for them.

Seriously. Mark your spoilers.

- Feel free to visit the lovely Persona Community Thread. It is welcoming and friendly and whatever other nice words people would use to describe something like this.

And finally, have fun, I guess. Let's not let the region lock get us down.

EDIT: Whilst I'm not much of an artist myself, my good friend buddha0991 has contributed this phenomenal illustration to this thread to celebrate the EU release of Arena. Feel free to use it as your desktop wallpaper or even print it off, frame it, and put it on your wall!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Hope you guys enjoy it! It was my GOTY 2012. :)

Oh god. Just seeing the OP reminds me how much I want to play it, how much I wanted back in July/August.

I suppose I could get it second hand?

web01

Nope not supporting this especially after they decided to have retailer exclusive preorder items after the ridiculous wait just to screw over fans even more.

Also the digital fan pack is a complete joke I thought it would at the least be PSN avatars / themes not a PC image download, assuming info in the OT is correct.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Nope not supporting this especially after they decided to have retailer exclusive preorder items after the ridiculous wait just to screw over fans even more.

Also the digital fan pack is a complete joke I thought it would at the least be PSN avatars / themes not a PC image download, assuming info in the OT is correct.

I remember how much they teased the fans about some kind of "bonus" for the wait, and it ended up being a pre order only bonus, AND retailer exclusive too. Then they announced that shitty LE which is probably retailer exclusive too. But you get a bag!!!

Scum.

Dremark

Banned
The fact that they region locked the game is absolute disgrace and the amount of time it took for an EU release is laughable.

Even though this game was the one I was looking forward to the most I refused to by it when it came out in the US.

For you guys who are still interested I genuinely hope you guys enjoy it as you've certainly waited long enoughand the game itself looks great. It's a shame things turned out this way and I hope Atlus does not repeat this nonsense.

Dremark

Banned
Oh god. Just seeing the OP reminds me how much I want to play it, how much I wanted back in July/August.

I suppose I could get it second hand?

At this point I would just hold out for a hopefully non-region locked new version.

Although I personally wouldn't even buy it used in it's current form.

I remember how much they teased the fans about some kind of "bonus" for the wait, and it ended up being a pre order only bonus, AND retailer exclusive too. Then they announced that shitty LE which is probably retailer exclusive too. But you get a bag!!!

"Sorry about the delay and not being able to play the game. To make up for the region locking? Here is another disc that you can't play. Oh but only if you buy the game at one retailer and only in one country.

Oh and Australians get a nice bonus of a full price even though mortal kombat is finally coming out at half price after a similar delay. Enjoy!"

I'll wait a week for the price to bomb and pick it up. I still want to play it after all and I'm not worried about sending a message. This is because after all the fucked up things they have done with this release, I'm 100% certain they don't give a shit and are not listening anyway.

I'm keeping my pre-order because I got it pretty cheap. P4 is my favorite game ever, otherwise I wouldn't even bother, even for this price I feel bad as hell for buying it.

Xater

I wanted to play this, but because of the region locking and the huge unnecessary delay I will skip it.

The second it was announced that Zen was handling the EU release, I was expecting a gigantic delay like BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger and Continuum Shift.

I can't see Zen getting any of my friends' money at this point.

Ban Puncher

I bought a second hand Japanese 360 that came with a pre-owned copy of P4A pretty cheap and happily played it then lent the combo out to my brother and friends. That was last year.

I'd like to think I've cost Atlus/Zen at least a few sales.

Stick your late PAL version and shitty 'exclusive' trinkets up your arse.

I'll get it when it's around 10€ at PSN. Not gonna support such a lame effort plus I don't really like traditional fighting games even tho I really liked P4G.

pelican

The second it was announced that Zen was handling the EU release, I was expecting a gigantic delay like BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger and Continuum Shift.

I can't see Zen getting any of my friends' money at this point.

Doesn't help that GAME get the exclusive. Uncompetitive retailers don't get my money either.

Jubern

It's finally that time, huh. Incredible.

OP, maybe you should put the price in € in the OP too ? (49,99€)

Plasma

Banned
I can't believe it's actually coming out this Friday I keep expecting to see a news item pop up with another delay.

Still I've taken the day off on Friday to play it, looking forward to it I really liked P4 Golden I hope the story mode is good.

NotLiquid

A store here broke the street date.

Instead of immediately buying it I asked if it was legitimately for sale. The guy looked it up and said that his colleagues must have made a mistake, and shelved it back.

The morons were selling it for $59 though so no way was I getting it from there.

Jintor

It depends if they're good, I like P4 so...

I'm talking a visual ass visual novel. Pages and pages of text. Some of it's alright. Most of it is... well, repeated. Like... half of it is pure meh. But the other half is acceptable.

God knows when this dips below $20 I might pick it up and plough through the story mode for reals

Labrys

I forgot you guys are getting it so late. :/
The situation sucks, but the game's really good, I recommend it even if you guys just rent it/buy it used/other! My usernamesake comes from it.

Shito

A store here broke the street date.

Instead of immediately buying it I asked if it was legitimately for sale. The guy looked it up and said that his colleagues must have made a mistake, and shelved it back.

233b372281c03936da7bfe54fc304.gif

Kurtofan said:
It depends if they're good, I like P4 so...
The story is a direct sequel from the one in P4, if that can help your decision.

dan2026

Haha no sale.

No way I am supporting this terrible business practice.
If you buy the game you are basically telling them 'please screw us again!'

Christhor

I was so hyped for this, it's a shame. I'll still probably get it, I still love Persona 4 even if the fanbase is absolutely horrible. Now, to decide to buy it used or not. I've not bought a single used game this gen, goes against my policy, but this one might just deserve it.

Squire

Banned
Eh, nice OT, Dantis :)
#salt

Would love to get some games in if anyone is getting this on 360. Also, like the OP says, totally come chill with us in the community thread!

Victory_Pose_Yukiko.gif

If you buy the game you are basically telling them 'please screw us again!'

But what is the alternative? I don't think they are going to suddenly think that completely screwing over a market of customers is a really terrible idea. They would have already known this and chose to do it anyway.

Squire

Banned
I was so hyped for this, it's a shame. I'll still probably get it, I still love Persona 4 even if the fanbase is absolutely horrible. Now, to decide to buy it used or not. I've not bought a single used game this gen, goes against my policy, but this one might just deserve it.

Uh, wow. Gee. Fuck you too?

Kysen

£34.99 wow, for almost a year late. How much is the US version now? I wont be making the mistake of buying a PAL console next gen.

NEO0MJ

I forgot you guys are getting it so late. :/
The situation sucks, but the game's really good, I recommend it even if you guys just rent it/buy it used/other! My usernamesake comes from it.

So you're one of those people, huh?

Anyways, not buying it, at least not at launch.

dan2026

But what is the alternative? I don't think they are going to suddenly think that completely screwing over a market of customers is a really terrible idea. They would have already known this and chose to do it anyway.

Voting with your wallet is literally the only thing you can do.

If you buy this game new, you are contributing to the problem.

Top Bottom