• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena |EU OT| Heartbeat, Heartbreak

Squire

Banned
Considering this thread is for those affected by the rl I think it's fair. Besides, this is a good so we can get it out of the way for later.

There is no "get it out of the way for later". People are making shitty, snarky, bitter comments about it now, but some of them still will when P5's announced. The Internet is prone to vindictiveness.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
*sighs* well in any case, that is all over now. Games almost out, some people will get it day 1 (like myself, meh), others will get it used, or get it new/cheap, whatever. It probably will be somewhat DoA when it's released but hopefully in time, we can all forget this region locked fiasco and hope it never happens again.

That is my biggest concern about the delay, I hope PersonaGAF can keep online somewhat alive for the first couple months.

Stuart444

I don't think it will be. Altus doesn't usually include the Japanese voices, this was just a rare and very unfortunate exception.

I kinda feel sorry for Zen United tho. They're the ones who will be hurt the most by people deciding to skip out, and it's not even really their fault. :(

I don't think it was an excuse for region locking anyway. There isn't THAT many people who will import from other regions into Japan, Atlus/Index just assumed the worst automatically. It's just like DRM in a way...

I feel bad for Zen as well, they kept us up to date the best they could including mentioning when they finally got the PS3 disc from Japan and when they got the 360 one/when they sent them to MS/Sony so they did give us updates on this.

If Atlus ever region locks again, I just hope it will be something NISA will pick up and release asap.

Sophia

I don't think it was an excuse for region locking anyway. There isn't THAT many people who will import from other regions into Japan, Atlus/Index just assumed the worst automatically. It's just like DRM in a way...

You may not think so, but such things have happened before, if in anime and not in games. Worst of all, it could have been avoided simply by launching the game in all three regions at the same time.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Rightfully so though.

This whole situation was ridiculous. If there was even a hint of that being continued in Persona 5 than it will continue.Atlus hasn't quite earned our trust back yet.

Stuart444

You may not think so, but such things have happened before, if in anime and not in games. Worst of all, it could have been avoided simply by launching the game in all three regions at the same time.

Most people importing from another region into Japan destroying all local sales? I just don't think it would be as bad as Atlus/Index were assuming. Hell, pre-order incentives and LEs (that they do anyway in Japan) would easily get their biggest fans in Japan to buy locally. I also don't think many "day 1" people want to wait (which would happen if they import). But meh, what's done is done.

But that aside, yes it could have been avoided. Hell Nintendo of all people have made up for the region locking with one game that tends to get imported due to the usual waits we have, Pokemon X/Y. Instead of waiting, we're getting the first worldwide release of it and being that this is the first Pokemon main game that we can't import then I think the WW release makes up for it.

Coxy

Posts like this were my favourite:

this is a lot of people jumping on a bandwagon that has no relevance to them

I didn't plan on buying this game but I will just to offset some of the super-entitled folks who might boycott it

this is the only thread where large numbers of people are bothered by the region locking. I suspect the boycott will be a damp squib.

if everyone complains, it's a bandwagon witch hunt.
if some people complain they're super entitled bitter assholes.
when no-one complains it's not a problem, all hail the wise decisions of atlus.

Slygmous

This thread seems a little controversial.

I'm a bit interested in the game as a follow up to BlazBlue (I'm not familiar with Persona) but that Australian price seems off. $70 is double the price of Mortal Kombat.

Omikaru

I'm ashamed to say that I'm pre-ordering. I just can't wait any longer for this game. But I totally get why people would buy this used or not at all. I'm actually pretty sure the game will underperform/bomb in Europe, and I hope that Atlus knows it's their fault...

It'd better be good, or I'm trading it in next week.

Shahed

If I was interested in tbe game as a fighter from a competitive point, I may have still bought it. But since I'm only in it for the story being a Persona fan, I'll not need the game for longer than a week

There is no "get it out of the way for later". People are making shitty, snarky, bitter comments about it now, but some of them still will when P5's announced. The Internet is prone to vindictiveness.
It certainly wouldn't if Atlus took the bull by the horns and said, "Hey, we messed up and from now on we'll work to ensure it doesn't happen again so this time we've worked out a deal with NIS to bring it to Europe in 2 months" or something along those lines.

It's why seeing NIS getting to announce their release of SMT IV was welcomed rather than moaned about, so early and well framed.

I've been waiting a year for this!

Not buying it though. This is beyond ridiculous. Any good will I had they managed to destroy with all these pre-order bonus and collector's edition fuck ups. Their disgraceful Facebook and Twitter feeds sure as hell don't help either.

Well yay finally! :D I will buy it... day two
this Saturday used from Gamestop
:p Seriously I consider myself to be a very forgiving person who can't hate on much but this release for this price-tag is just a madness along with the retailer exclusive bonuses.

At this point it should be 29.99€ max, come with the vinyl and all the other bonuses in every box along with the full OST (not just a arrange OST), a hard-cover artbook, a strategy-guide and a handwritten apology letter from whoever was now ultimately responsible for the huge delay =_= I know they would take a loss with each copy like this but seriously...

Though having said that I look forward to play a few rounds with the good feeling of not giving Atlus but rather Gamestop my money :p

TheChaos0

Regardless of the late release, I'm still getting it new and from Game to boot (I want the vinyl :/). At the end of the day I rather support the European market and hope that Index has learnt its lesson.

Surely a free language DLC that would come out a Monty after the release would have accomplished the same thing as region locking.

Anyways back to game talk. Release date can't come soon enough, I have played P4G so my Persona is ready (for more).

Basil

Banned
I can't believe this is only now coming out here.

I can't believe I'm probably going to end up buying the game even after everything either.

NEO0MJ

If they pull the same stunt with P5 then yeah they better be ready for more shit. Also, I meant in regards to this thread. Better let people blow steam over her right now than have it mess up the thread later.

If I was interested in tbe game as a fighter from a competitive point, I may have still bought it. But since I'm only in it for the story being a Persona fan, I'll not need the game for longer than a week

It's funny, one of the reasons I got into the Persona series was because of this game, before the whole region lock debacle.

jtm33

Neo Member
Ozgameshop says only works on "PAL" systems, which doesn't mean much nowadays but it can at least tell me my UK import will work on my Aus PS3.

Saying it works on PAL systems is misleading because that is not at all how PS3 region locking works. The UK, Europe and Australia all have different region codes which can be denied separately. I would like to get some confirmation that a European or UK version will work on my Australian system.

PAL, obviously. Shit sucks, but I still get to say I called Zen missing 2012 with this.

No, not obvious. http://www.ps3devwiki.com/wiki/Regions

Omikaru

Why...

What region is it locked to?

Any system sold by SCEE. So technically that should be any officially sold PS3 in Europe, Middle East, Africa and (very probably?) Australia/NZ. Only way to know for sure is to test it, however.

I'd be careful in the Middle East and Africa, however, as those regions tends to get import games and systems from all over the world. If anyone lives there, it might be a good idea to check what region their PS3 is from (the serial number is usually a giveaway), and buy the version appropriate to that region.

I'm just sort of used to this by now. I lucked out on getting Persona 3, and it took until the Golden release to get 4. Atlus' distribution down under hasn't been great no matter how you slice it. It's probably the only area I'd declare Square Enix the victor in, but being able to get games is Kind Of A Big Deal. Aiding the problem or no, I don't see how there can be a solution to this. Not by this point.

ANYWAY, preordered and completely paid off, but I am skeptical. I haven't liked any Blazblue I've sampled thus far, whether it's the story delivery or the fighting itself. But it is the sequel to Persona 4, 2013's GOTY (and/or 2012's), so I do want it.

jtm33

Neo Member
Any system sold by SCEE. So technically that should be any officially sold PS3 in Europe, Middle East, Africa and (very probably?) Australia/NZ. Only way to know for sure is to test it, however.

I'd be careful in the Middle East and Africa, however, as those regions tends to get import games and systems from all over the world. If anyone lives there, it might be a good idea to check what region their PS3 is from (the serial number is usually a giveaway), and buy the version appropriate to that region.

To check your system's region look at the sticker on the bottom. There will be something that says something like CECHJ-02. Cross check that number here - http://www.ps3devwiki.com/wiki/Regions

In this case the -02 means that the system is Australian.

The Japanese version of Persona 4 Arena works in 00, 05, 06, 07 and 12.
The NA version works in 01 and 11.

To check your system's region look at the sticker on the bottom. There will be something that says something like CECHJ-02. Cross check that number here - http://www.ps3devwiki.com/wiki/Regions

In this case the -02 means that the system is Australian.

The Japanese version of Persona 4 Arena works in 00, 05, 06, 07 and 12.
The NA version works in 01 and 11.

£10 Steam game of the winner's choice says it'll work in 02, 03 and 04.

Korigama

I'm just sort of used to this by now. I lucked out on getting Persona 3, and it took until the Golden release to get 4. Atlus' distribution down under hasn't been great no matter how you slice it. It's probably the only area I'd declare Square Enix the victor in, but being able to get games is Kind Of A Big Deal. Aiding the problem or no, I don't see how there can be a solution to this. Not by this point.

ANYWAY, preordered and completely paid off, but I am skeptical. I haven't liked any Blazblue I've sampled thus far, whether it's the story delivery or the fighting itself. But it is the sequel to Persona 4, 2013's GOTY (and/or 2012's), so I do want it.
Story is handled by Atlus, rather than Arc. BlazBlue is slower than P4A, with the exception of Chronophantasma.

jtm33

Neo Member

That's my bet too. But it is misleading to say that it is locked to PAL regions when that is not how the regions are divided on PS3. I think it is very likely that this is how it will turn out but it is worth waiting for confirmation.

I've had the EU versions for a couple of weeks now; I can confirm both are region locked (I tried on NA PS3/360 - nothing else) if that means anything. Pretty funny, all things considered. The discs I have don't have a proper box or even proper disc print, so I can't check the actual region listing, sorry.

Game is great though. Story is real intriguing in terms of where Persona as a brand is going.

Omikaru

It's probably this, yes. Are Zen or one of their partners publishing in Aus? If so, it makes no sense for them to have to pay to get an Australian version certified when they can get it done with the EU certification.

On a more general note, it's surprising that the UK and Ireland have their own regions on account of them being part of the single market (thus making it illegal to block a UK game from playing on EU consoles, or an EU game working on UK consoles), so why bother separating the region?

Torraz

In case I ever pick this up used, or as a freebie on ps+ or anything, how easy to play is this game? The only fighter I can pull off moves in, on a consistent basis, is MK9. How easy or hard to play is this game anyways?

Omikaru

In case I ever pick this up used, or as a freebie on ps+ or anything, how easy to play is this game? The only fighter I can pull off moves in, on a consistent basis, is MK9. How easy or hard to play is this game anyways?

If you struggle with fighting games, you'll probably struggle competitively with this. But people have told me the game is easy to play the story modes through, if that's what you're in it for.

Lemstar

You can finish everything in story mode holding down forward and mashing on A when someone gets in range.

If you're at the point where just being able to do motions for specials is a concern, though, you're probably going to have trouble doing even basic BnB combos.

Korigama

It's probably the most approachable 2D fighter on the market at this point, actually. Easier overall learning curve than Guilty Gear or BlazBlue (simpler inputs, as well as one autocombo per character that allows the player to move from normals to specials to super cancels if they keep mashing, but is ultimately optional), yet enough depth to warrant playing it competitively.

Though quarter circle motions factor in, half circles, 360s, and dragon punch motions do not.

jtm33

Neo Member
Funnily enough I got a US copy of the game to work on my Australian system really easily (with CFW). There is a file in the game folder called PARAM.SFO. It was just a matter of copying the game to HDD, changing the region_deny value in the PARAM.SFO file to 0. Works. Took me a couple of minutes. Puts into perspective the ridiculous wait. The region locking is pretty simple and crude. No online though obviously, so I am still looking to pick up the game next week.

Recall

I to this day still don't understand the delay. There are not multiple languages, there was no new code or content it is exactly the same as the NA release yet I'm the bad guy because I feel I had waited long enough and no longer want the game.

Why are people defending this delay or getting angry if people want to stand up to it?

I will get the game but not at launch and most likely pre owned if I see it, I just can't support this publisher.

I think the story mode is that pulling force that makes me want, I just want carry on the persona story and see what they do :)

Dantis

I feel right at home in this OT. Thanks guys!

Hmm, well Dantis's OT was much less snarky than I expected. :D

Eh, nice OT, Dantis :)
#salt

I am genuinely hurt that you guys thought I'd risk my account for this turd of a release. ;)

I told you it wouldn't be that bad.

Wheres my picture :(

Completely forgot about it. I'm about to get my dinner, then I'll edit it into the OP. Sorry buddy

The Persona Team had very little to do with it though, so don't expect too much.

Omikaru

I to this day still don't understand the delay. There are not multiple languages, there was no new code or content it is exactly the same as the NA release yet I'm the bad guy because I feel I had waited long enough and no longer want the game.

Why are people defending this delay?

I will get the game but not at launch, I just can't support this publisher.

Because Atlus and Arc System Works can do no wrong.

As for "no new code", we don't know that. The delay could be due to bureaucracy, or it could be due to SCEE rules, or a variety of reasons. It'll be interesting if the PAL version supports 50hz mode, because that would be a prime reason for the delay if it does. If it doesn't, well, I dunno why it took so long. If the delay was just to put PQube and Zen's logo at the game's boot, then I'm gonna be mad. Oh so mad.
KuGsj.gif

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
The learning curve is about as friendly as it gets. If you start out mashing A for auto-combos which do ~15-20% damage, you can work towards the 90%-100% damage stuff. The mechanics are very pick-and-choose, you don't for example need to know about the mid-air turn but putting the time in to learn it gives you access to some real nasty cross-ups. Rolls, hops, and a mechanic which resembles TvC's Baroque cancelling ... this game is very satisfying both on a surface level where you just enjoy the tremendous presentation and mash buttons or whatever, and on a deeper level where you start exploring the tools you're given and implement them into your head smashing.

Any Uker who doesn't want the vinyl, there will be quite a few Americans/others who would like to help you out with that problem. ;)

Any Uker who doesn't want the vinyl, there will be quite a few Americans/others who would like to help you out with that problem. ;)

If you're prepared to pay $70 for it, I'll be happy to pre-order from GAME and send the vinyl to you.

(Serious offer, that price includes shipping and taxes from my end)

Top Bottom