• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena |EU OT| Heartbeat, Heartbreak

Korigama

I think Naoto has a better chance than those 2 characters overall. She can kill a good portion of the cast with 50sp off of any good hitconfirm. That alone separates her from the bottom tier.
I just learned about SMP looping with Naoto earlier today. Really wish I had looked into it earlier.

fearme

Neo Member
So... I just bought this game because I love Ark System Works and Blazblue, but I don't know anything about Persona.

Should I know something before start playing?

Roto13

So... I just bought this game because I love Ark System Works and Blazblue, but I don't anything about Persona.

The game will fill you in on the important story stuff. It'll spoil Persona 4 (and I guess 3), but if you don't intend to ever play Persona 4 (and I guess 3) it doesn't really matter.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
So... I just bought this game because I love Ark System Works and Blazblue, but I don't know anything about Persona.

Nope. Have fun! IMO, it's better than BlazBlue.

Conan-san

So got my hands on a second hand copy (what does it say that I could do that only a week after launch?) and I'm enjoying it so far.

After my first foré into Netplay I've come to the conclusion that Teddie is some sort of Charles Barkley-like machine of death.

oneida

So got my hands on a second hand copy (what does it say that I could do that only a week after launch?) and I'm enjoying it so far.

After my first foré into Netplay I've come to the conclusion that Teddie is some sort of Charles Barkley-like machine of death.

His baseball bat rules all

OMG Aero

I have a quick (and probably dumb) question: is there a way of getting out of combos if I don't have a burst ready?
Whenever I play online and get matched up with someone playing Yosuke I always get wrecked by that air combo where he flips around slashing you. I can use the burst to get out of it once, but then they can just do it again and again and the burst meter takes ages to charge. Is there anything else I can do to get out of it, or is it just a case where the only way to stop it is to avoid getting in that combo in the first place.

FluxWaveZ

I have a quick (and probably dumb) question: is there a way of getting out of combos if I don't have a burst ready?

No. Understand that other fighting games don't even have a "Burst" mechanic to save your ass so you have to sit there and take it when you get caught in a huge combo.

Rhapsody

Banned
what? Teddie beats Chie/Yu free from what I have seen/read/heard. LK mention several times that mitsuru vs teddie is a hard fight in teddie's favor.

Chie has trouble getting in before she is in awakening. She can be zoned out.

My tier list would be

S: Teddie/Mitsuru/Aigis
A: Chie > Yu > Akhikiko/Yosuke
B: Naoto, Yukiko, Liz, Slab
B-: Kanji, Labrys
Chie has a new way to set up oki on Teddie involving JCing her sweep into 5C j.D. At this point in the game, Chie doesn't have any bad matchups. Narukami can't set up his vortex but his other tools are still useful. A month or so ago I had my friend ask LK who wins between Mitsuru and Teddie, LK said Mitsuru wins it.

Chie has no problems getting in with her speed, just requires good footsies. Even if someone like Mitsuru whiffs, Chie gets in and Mitsuru's slow start up leaves her vulnerable (and 5A being +1 is just too good). And Aigis is good but I wouldn't say top 3 because of having to use resources.

Lots of Japanese players put Chie and Yu as top 2 as well. The game has been changing lately. Naoto's SMP helps her, but I don't think it bumps her up far enough. The other characters have been gaining new possibilities, but Naoto stays pretty stagnant.

Your list feels closer to what the majority thought of the game last year, but Japan's been figuring things out.

Geneijin

Whenever I play online and get matched up with someone playing Yosuke I always get wrecked by that air combo where he flips around slashing you. I can use the burst to get out of it once, but then they can just do it again and again and the burst meter takes ages to charge. Is there anything else I can do to get out of it, or is it just a case where the only way to stop it is to avoid getting in that combo in the first place.
Are they doing a reset with Moonsault after Dash Spring? You can roll away or air throw Yosuke if he's going for a crossup Moonsault.

LTWheels

So what caused the hype behind this game to die down? Looking back to the US release it seemed like it had the potential to have some legs. What happened?

FluxWaveZ

So what caused the hype behind this game to die down? Looking back to the US release it seemed like it had the potential to have some legs. What happened?

Well, I wouldn't say it's necessarily died down. It's one of the main games at EVO, after all. But it's an anime, air dasher for one (inherently unpopular competitively compared to other games); seen too simplistic/dumb by some and the developers have done absolutely nothing to support it post release except for a singular patch that fixed a few glitches.

Korigama

I wouldn't be too concerned about the lack of post-release support from Arc (again, looking at their ideas on rebalancing their fighters, I kind of prefer it this way, and think it's only a matter of time until they fix BBCP until it breaks just like they did with BBCS by Extend). I would think the number of people who stuck around for the fighter not being as high as the amount of Persona fans who came specifically for the story is likely another factor.

Well, I wouldn't say it's necessarily died down. It's one of the main games at EVO, after all. But it's an anime, air dasher for one (inherently unpopular competitively compared to other games); seen too simplistic/dumb by some and the developers have done absolutely nothing to support it post release except for a singular patch that fixed a few glitches.

I don't think it was at any time one of the main game at EVO.
Sure it had some tourney "on the side" but it wasn't a main game like "SSF4, KOF13, UMvC, MK & Tekken"

Unless i've missed all those events during last year coverage ( who know it might have happenned )
P4A had a nice small event and that's it

FluxWaveZ

I don't think it was at any time one of the main game at EVO.
Sure it had some tourney "on the side" but it wasn't a main game like "SSF4, KOF13, UMvC, MK & Tekken"

Unless i've missed all those events during last year coverage ( who know it might have happenned )
P4A had a nice small event and that's it

Uh... what? Persona 4 Arena wasn't released during the time of EVO 2012. Persona 4 Arena is LITERALLY one of the main games at EVO 2013 alongside others such as UMvC3, SSFIV, SSBM and MK9. It was announced by Mr. Wizard himself during the stream when the main games were being announced.

Uh... what? Persona 4 Arena wasn't released during the time of EVO 2012. Persona 4 Arena is LITERALLY one of the main games at EVO 2013 alongside others such as UMvC3, SSFIV, SSBM and MK9. It was announced by Mr. Wizard himself during the stream when the main games were being announced.

We might talk about different things.
For me a main game at EVO or a game with an "EVO spot" is a game that has his tournament at EVO and stay there.
For all we know it will do the same as Street x tekken and disapear.

In my previous post i was indeed referencing to last year as i didn't knew that at that time P4A was for this year.
Great then.

Let's hope it will not have the same path & destiny as blazblue, SxT and others..

oneida

For me a main game at EVO or a game with an "EVO spot" is a game that has his tournament at EVO and stay there.

In my previous post i was indeed referencing to last year as i didn't knew that at that time P4A was for this year.
Great then.

Let's hope it will not have the same path & destiny as blazblue, SxT and others..
This is a strangely specific definition for "main game". In the rhetorical Final EVO, are there no main games because none return the next year?

Korigama

Great then.

SFxT never went anywhere (they said it wasn't coming back last year, yet it's still a main game as of this year anyway). Either way, disqualifying something as a "main game" for not being included indefinitely is rather silly.
Eh, I remember MrWizard was shitting on this last year, so I'm surprised it's even an Evo game this year. I honestly expect it to get dropped next year for like BlazBlue or something.
I don't know anything about this, but it probably will be replaced by BBCP next year, since the console release will be out by then.

Eh, I remember MrWizard was shitting on this last year, so I'm surprised it's even an Evo game this year. I honestly expect it to get dropped next year for like BlazBlue or something.

FluxWaveZ

If Persona 4 Arena does not have a good showing at this year's EVO, no anime airdasher will ever be a main game at EVO again, such was the implication given by Mr. Wizard on the stream.

SFxT never went anywhere (they said it wasn't coming back last year, yet it's still a main game as of this year anyway). Either way, disqualifying something as a "main game" for not being included indefinitely is rather silly.

Not indefinitly ... Just more than a year.

I'm not asking for a 3rd strike for example.. but it was there during multiple years.
Anyway this is semantics.
Sorry if i offended any fan of one serie ..but to exist , you have to stay there at EVO , now just gain momentum and disapear. That's what i honnestly believe

Korigama

Very well.

Still working my way through story mode, starting on Naoto's now after deciding to focus on the P4 crew first and save hers for last among them. It seems it took until that one for things to really start getting interesting, as far as new information is concerned.

Tizoc

Well my brother got me a used copy via Ebay UK for I think 25 Pounds+OST Disc.
He'll be trading off the OST disc, so I would've gotten it for 20 Pounds (5-10 Pounds more than what I would've waited for).
...but hey I got it at last XD.

oneida

The more I play BB and GG the happier I am with how P4A came out. It really seems like an amalgamation of the good stuff from those games. It's a little frustrating how low-damage BB is when compared with P4A imo.

Jamie OD

Bought the game last Friday and I adore it's style. The TV presenation, nicknames and other little details reminds me so much of Japanese MMA shows like Pride Fighting Championship. Only playing through the arcade mode so far but I'll try out the story mode soon enough.

NEO0MJ

Well, bought this game a week ago and I think I can give a few impressions. The gameplay itself is great, despite the limited number of characters. It also looks great.
But the story, it was awful. Dantis was right, the characters really felt like caricatures of hteir former selves at times.

Tizoc

Couldn't wait any longer and popped the game into the PS3 XP.
Wow, I know Kanji's supposed to be the 'heavy guy', but that dash of his is ridiculous.

I'm really enjoying Kanji so far, and might learn Chie. Is Kanji's main super good for anything? Seems to get heavily scaled in long combos >_>;

Gonna redo his trial combos since I am able to do them easily for the most part, and for it to give me an idea on how his combos work.

The control scheme confused me at first mainly since I interpreted it as the typical 3-attack button scheme, now I'm just treating it as it being like KoF's control scheme.

alstein

THe game is viewed by some as a bit simple, but I think that helps it get tourney numbers at majors- it's a low maintenance game.

The more I play BB and GG the happier I am with how P4A came out. It really seems like an amalgamation of the good stuff from those games. It's a little frustrating how low-damage BB is when compared with P4A imo.

I see P4A as Arc figuring out stuff and getting back to being good again. They've had a bit of a rough gen in terms of game quality.

the3ye

So I finally got my copy of LE last week....damaged box and a missing puzzle piece. WTF?
And ZEN store doesn't seem to bother replying to emails...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I see P4A as Arc figuring out stuff and getting back to being good again. They've had a bit of a rough gen in terms of game quality.
Yup they literally took everything they learned from this and AC+R to improve BBCP it's extremely noticeable.
So I finally got my copy of LE last week....damaged box and a missing puzzle piece. WTF?
And ZEN store doesn't seem to bother replying to emails...

Is there a way to call them?

Top Bottom