• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena |EU OT| Heartbeat, Heartbreak

Torraz

Just watched Yu's story mode. I lack the words to describe how much I dislike Lbyrys's voice.

I hope that she either is not a recurring character, that Persona 5 will not be region locked or that there is a JP audio option (and her japanese voice is better).

Some of the VN soundtrack reminds me of the Umineko one, in a very good way.

NotLiquid

Doing a bit better with ranked after switching back to Mitsuru and giving Naoto a break, but...it just feels wrong somehow. It felt more like I actually earned what wins I got with Naoto (yeah, yeah, Mitsuru and Chie = top tier, I know).

Is there some sort of matchup/tier-list available? I like seeing how characters generally stack up.

Currently dabbling with Chie, Labrys and Yosuke. I'd like to think I want to main Yosuke because goddamn he's fast and I love how he moves. But his Taokaka-like command moves are something I've yet to master since I've never really been good with those. Labrys feels great to control and so does Chie.

Omikaru

The cross-dressing competition entrants are up. It's a little bit NSFW, so be warned.

Linky.

I'd just like to extend my sincere apologies for this.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
So if there were a Persona 4 Arena Extend, what characters would you like to see? What changes to the existing roster would you want?

P3 hero is a shoe-in

Shito

Though PSR rankings don't mean anything because the system's busted.
I was always a bit puzzled with the PSR system, who doesn't seem to want to go past 1'000 and thus ends up being quite useless.

I'm surprised at how scarce the 360 online is; I'd heard about it when it released some 9 months ago, but gosh is it a ghost town even with the european release.

oneida

I'm surprised at how scarce the 360 online is; I'd heard about it when it released some 9 months ago, but gosh is it a ghost town even with the european release.
I would say it's only slightly worse than VF5FS on XBL - which is to say finding a match is a little frustrating but not that bad.

Try TvC online. Set that baby to "search", go watch LotR

The cross-dressing competition entrants are up. It's a little bit NSFW, so be warned.

Linky.

I'd just like to extend my sincere apologies for this.

Well, I was never going to win that.

Funnily, it's better than SoulCalibur V was twelve months after launch, and damningly, Skullgirls AT launch.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Damn at that Yosuke that does both.

As for 360 online: If it isn't Marvel no1currs it seems.

Korigama

Is there some sort of matchup/tier-list available? I like seeing how characters generally stack up.

Currently dabbling with Chie, Labrys and Yosuke. I'd like to think I want to main Yosuke because goddamn he's fast and I love how he moves. But his Taokaka-like command moves are something I've yet to master since I've never really been good with those. Labrys feels great to control and so does Chie.
According to Arcadia magazine, via dustloop:

S Tier: Aigis, Mitsuru
A Tier: Teddie, Akihiko, Yu, Yosuke, Chie
B Tier: Shadow Labrys, Labrys, Yukiko, Kanji, Naoto, Elizabeth

Looks like they rank Chie a little bit lower than before.
So if there were a Persona 4 Arena Extend, what characters would you like to see? What changes to the existing roster would you want?

P3 hero is a shoe-in
I wouldn't mind seeing a few P2 cast members. That said, I trust Arc with rebalancing their fighters as far as I can throw them (the fact that they were so numerous and so drastic is what burned me out on GG in the first place, and could do the same with BB if they get as indecisive with BBCP as they did BBCS, which only needed CS2 as it was).

FluxWaveZ

The top are undoubtedly Aigis, Mitsuru, Teddie, Yu and Chie. The rest are pretty much equal, though there's no clear consensus on order.

I was always a bit puzzled with the PSR system, who doesn't seem to want to go past 1'000 and thus ends up being quite useless.

The PSR system isn't just messed up because of that, but because of how it distributes points. After a specific amount of matches, players will only ever get 0 to 2 PSR points—usually getting 0 unless the opponent is within their PSR range—but will constantly lose points regardless of the opponent they're going against, so it becomes a downward slope of PSR loss. Plus, because it all peaks after a certain number of matches, players who want to get high PSR just reset their profiles and, with more P4A experience, make sure to lose as minimally as possible so that they gain PSR without losing any until the number of matches where PSR is no longer gained much is reached.

Similarly, the letter rankings are botched. If there's a P4A2, I'd like that to be fixed.

And I'm really not surprised the 360 version is a wasteland. Not only are fighters usually more popular on the PS3, but this is an anime fighter.

Shito

The PSR system isn't just messed up because of that, but because of how it distributes points. After a specific amount of matches, players will only ever get 0 to 2 PSR points—usually getting 0 unless the opponent is within their PSR range—but will constantly lose points regardless of the opponent they're going against, so it becomes a downward slope of PSR loss. Plus, because it all peaks after a certain number of matches, players who want to get high PSR just reset their profiles and, with more P4A experience, make sure to lose as minimally as possible so that they gain PSR without losing any until the number of matches where PSR is no longer gained much is reached.
Hmm, strange it works that way.
Is there some kind of added bonus going on when doing streaks? Or some kind of parabolic function going on? Because I've played some 360 ranked matches this week-end (I've been playing the game on my japanese PS3 this whole time, bought it again on 360 so I could play with european friends) and at first I was winning 7 PSR per win, and now after 41 matches and 39 wins, I'm at 8 or 9 PSR per win...
I find it really strange they would index the number of points won on the total number of matches rather than on your current PSR...

And I'm really not surprised the 360 version is a wasteland. Not only are fighters usually more popular on the PS3, but this is an anime fighter.
Yeah, I've heard it was that way, just thought that with the european release it wouldn't be nearly THAT bad for the first few days / weeks. Then again, it's not like it's released by a publisher who knows how to market its shit -- pretty sure half the people that were interested in the game 9 months ago don't even know it released last Friday.

Rhapsody

Banned
According to Arcadia magazine, via dustloop:

S Tier: Aigis, Mitsuru
A Tier: Teddie, Akihiko, Yu, Yosuke, Chie
B Tier: Shadow Labrys, Labrys, Yukiko, Kanji, Naoto, Elizabeth

Looks like they rank Chie a little bit lower than before.
That's actually a pretty old tier list, a lot of the characters changed.

For me, top goes Chie and Yu > Mitsuru > Teddie and Aigis.
At this point in the game, I feel like Labrys and Naoto are the two worst while Kanji and Liz have proven themselves to be be better as of late (especially Liz).

FluxWaveZ

Hmm, strange it works that way.
Is there some kind of added bonus going on when doing streaks? Or some kind of parabolic function going on?

I'm pretty sure there's no bonus, but it's something of a parabolic function, sure. The more matches one plays, the less PSR they'll gain, which is indeed pretty dumb for a value that should represent skill level.

P3 hero is a shoe-in

Junpei. It's a cardinal sin that he wasn't in this game.

Yukari and Koromaru may also be interesting due to their potentially unique playstyles, and I think it'd be cool if they went with the planned idea of having the Dojima/Nanako tagteam in.

Adachi and Magatsu Izanagi
could also be awesome, and it would give the game a fleshed-out villain character who isn't lazy like Shadow Labrys.

Hmm I think I found my ideal character to be Chie so far, she just clicks with me. And I'm actually surprised that P4A is the first fighter I'm able to do atleast _something_ online against others, so far I had 5 wins and 8 losses which is alot better than I usually do in fighters. One honest question though, should I stop winning with Instant Finishers? I only had one quitter as of now but I have a feeling it annoys people :p

Shito

One honest question though, should I stop winning with Instant Finishers? I only had one quitter so far but I have a feeling it annoys people :p
Don't stop: those instant kills are really easy to avoid, it will annoy people who are still discovering the game but it's a good thing if they learn about it and how to avoid each of them.

People online really need to grow some skin, I had one guy yesterday who totally stopped playing against me during the second round of our match, after I perfected him in the first one and was on my way to do just about the same in the second one. He then sent me a message saying something like "I hope you'll encounter a lot of Mitsuru!" (I main Liz). I stumbled upon him a second time on ranked, he accepted the fight, and he didn't move AT ALL during the whole match. Really strange way to behave.

Do whatever works.
This.
The main rule of fighting games.

Don't stop: those instant kills are really easy to avoid, it will annoy people who are still discovering the game but it's a good thing if they learn about it and how to avoid each of them.

People online really need to grow some skin, I had one guy yesterday who totally stopped playing against me during the second round of our match, after I perfected him in the first one and was on my way to do just about the same in the second one. He then sent me a message saying something like "I hope you'll encounter a lot of Mitsuru!" (I main Liz). I stumbled upon him a second time on ranked, he accepted the fight, and he didn't move AT ALL during the whole match. Really strange way to behave.

This.
The main rule of fighting games.

Yeah okay alright thanks for the encouragement, I will keep using them then aslong as they still work :) And I agree with people needing to grow some skin, so far P4A is fine though I met countless people in FIFA online who leave when I have a 2:0 lead :/ I myself usually am pretty terrible at games though if I lose I always allow my opponent to win and never try to pull off something lame. I guess they just wanted to annoy you :/

Oh and before I forget it, I was about to hop online for some PSO2 though what's this GAF IRC everyone talked about earlier? I would like to play some Player Matches against people from here later :D

Korigama

At this point in the game, I feel like Labrys and Naoto are the two worst while Kanji and Liz have proven themselves to be be better as of late (especially Liz).
I mainly went with it as a result of the date in the title, along with the date of the last edit in the OP, but I could have always overlooked something.

I had one Kanji player who stopped moving during the second round in a ranked match. Neither knew nor cared why, initially expected him to DC in the middle of the match, but he didn't (the other player suddenly standing still is usually the first thing to happen before a ragequit). The only thing worse is players who DC right after you win the match just so that you can't claim the win...both times that happened to me, they were Akihiko players. Not saying that all Akihiko players are ragequitters, of course, but if someone's a ragequitter, they probably play Akihiko, at least on PSN (the only other ragequitter I got was during a Naoto mirror).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Mind to list full tier list from your opinion?

In a dream update of this game, I would add the following characters to the roster. Remember, this is not at all what I am expecting, but this is my dream roster:

P1: P1MC (Boy With the Pierced Ear), Kei Nanjo, Yukino Mayuzumi, Eriko Kirishima

P2: Maya Amano, Karou Saga/Baofu, Katsuya Suou, Ulala Serizawa

P3: Junpei Iori, Yukari Takeba, Koromaru (troll character), Theodore

P4: Margaret

Non-Canon Secret Characters:
Takahisa Kandori, Tatsuya Suou, Eikichi Mishima, Lisa Silverman, Jun Kurosu/Kashihara, Tatsuya Sudou, Ixquic, Makoto Yuki (P3 Male MC), P3 Female MC, Shinjiro Agaraki, all 3 members of Strega, Adachi Tohru

NPC/Non Playable: Tamaki Uchida, Masao Inaba, Yuka Ayase, Maki Sonomura, Belladona, Nameless, Philemon, Time Count, The Crawling Chaos, Ken Amada, Aika, Marie, Ryotaro Dojima

Roto13

I'd be ok with never seeing Ken Amada again.

If they put in the P3P female main character, she should use Mara.

Rhapsody

Banned
Mind to list full tier list from your opinion?

S: Chie, Yu > Mitsuru
S-: Teddie, Aigis
A: Akihiko, Yosuke, Shabrys
B: Yukiko, Kanji, Liz
B-: Naoto, Labrys

That's pretty much how I currently feel. Characters in rows aren't ordered unless there's a '>'. Chie basically has no problems with any of the cast. Narukami can't do his 5D stuff on Teddie, but I don't think the match is that bad. Mitsuru loses to those two slightly. Teddie and Aigis have problems with those three, but they have a lot of good tools regardless.

Labrys is just awful because of how axe meter works, having a bad DP and GC among other things. Once she's caught blocking, she's done. If she tries to DP, any of the cast can cancel into their DP or even jump cancel to block. Besides mediocre footsie normals, the main way to open people up is to wait until they screw up or use meter. Naoto's only saving grace is SMP loops. Her normals are bad and her keepaway isn't bad to deal with.

I was debating on whether to have a '>' right before Shabrys. I think she's pretty good, but her matchups with S-A is rather rough.

P4Arena_Chie_5B.png
1368463408798.png

tumblr_mg1b61RlNA1rvpfieo1_500.jpg

PK Gaming

P3 hero is a shoe-in

Makoto Yuki, JUNPEI, Yukari, FeMC,
Adachi
, Tatsuya and Maya are some of the characters I wanna see in the next game.

FluxWaveZ

There need to be more villains in a next game. Having Shadow Labrys as the only playable bad guy is really stupid, even though it made it easier for me to choose who to main.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

That's pretty much how I currently feel. Characters in rows aren't ordered unless there's a '>'. Chie basically has no problems with any of the cast. Narukami can't do his 5D stuff on Teddie, but I don't think the match is that bad. Mitsuru loses to those two slightly. Teddie and Aigis have problems with those three, but they have a lot of good tools regardless.

Labrys is just awful because of how axe meter works, having a bad DP and GC among other things. Once she's caught blocking, she's done. If she tries to DP, any of the cast can cancel into their DP or even jump cancel to block. Besides mediocre footsie normals, the main way to open people up is to wait until they screw up or use meter. Naoto's only saving grace is SMP loops. Her normals are bad and her keepaway isn't bad to deal with.

I was debating on whether to have a '>' right before Shabrys. I think she's pretty good, but her matchups with S-A is rather rough.

Thank you. It was interesting to read that.

OMG Aero

P3 hero is a shoe-in
Koromaru Koromaru Koromaru Koromaru Koromaru Koromaru Mysterious Fox Koromaru Koromaru Koromaru Koromaru

PK Gaming

There need to be more villains in a next game. Having Shadow Labrys as the only playable bad guy is really stupid, even though it made it easier for me to choose who to main.

Yeah I think so too.

It's a shame the Persona series is kind of weak on villains that would work in fighting games. He'll i'd be cool with adding STREGA if that meant we could get more villains.

Well, it's not like a character like him hasn't been done before, but I'm just not sure how he could be made "fightable" with this game's systems.

FluxWaveZ

Well, it's not like a character like him hasn't been done before, but I'm just not sure how he could be made "fightable" with this game's systems.

Yeah, I meant he wouldn't work in the context of this game's systems. Amaterasu works in Marvel, for example, but I don't think a character like her would be feasible in P4A.

OMG Aero

That's the main reason why he wouldn't work. Unless they made him grow into some big wolf or something, it just wouldn't make sense.
Either that or make Cerberus always out like with Shadow Labrys but hitting it deals damage as well as breaking the Persona.

Fuck I dunno I just wanna play as a dog and beat people up.

oneida

Korumaru solution: make her sprite just a liiittle bit bigger than it should be. Like 15-20% bigger than she was in P3. Most moves in P4A are pretty big, they would hit. I'm thinking B and C attacks; let some (Yu's) 5A's whiff, it won't break the game.

Andrefpvs

Korumaru solution: make her sprite just a liiittle bit bigger than it should be. Like 15-20% bigger than she was in P3. Most moves in P4A are pretty big, they would hit. I'm thinking B and C attacks; let some (Yu's) 5A's whiff, it won't break the game.

Koromaru's male o_O

OMG Aero

So today I finished up getting to the story cliffhangers with all the characters, then finished up Labrys' and Kanji's storylines.
Despite the fact it was literally an hour of text leading up to one fight I really liked Labrys' story, but man I really hope that the
true culprit
from the end of Kanji's story is actually addressed and resolved in another character's story. I'm gonna be so annoyed if that isn't resolved and is just left as "hey here's this thing that we might address in another game or maybe we won't".

Yeah I think so too.

It's a shame the Persona series is kind of weak on villains that would work in fighting games. He'll i'd be cool with adding STREGA if that meant we could get more villains.

I'm telling ya, man:
Adachi and Magatsu Izanagi.

He could throw cabbage as a projectile!

what? Teddie beats Chie/Yu free from what I have seen/read/heard. LK mention several times that mitsuru vs teddie is a hard fight in teddie's favor.

Chie has trouble getting in before she is in awakening. She can be zoned out.

My tier list would be

S: Teddie/Mitsuru/Aigis
A: Chie > Yu > Akhikiko/Yosuke
B: Naoto, Yukiko, Liz, Slab
B-: Kanji, Labrys

Yeah, I think I'd agree more with this than the other (except I'd probably place Naoto in the Kanji and Labrys tier).

I think Naoto has a better chance than those 2 characters overall. She can kill a good portion of the cast with 50sp off of any good hitconfirm. That alone separates her from the bottom tier.

Top Bottom