• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena |EU OT| Heartbeat, Heartbreak

Busaiku

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKLJzWCoF3Y
Just watch this. Notice when this video was created and notice how Chie players STILL play the same way. Her oki game is just so dominant that its literally knockdown then guess until you get out. And funny enough, her persona oki setup covers majority of the options. You can't roll it, you can't chicken block it, you can't really blowback it etc etc. The only thing you can do is 1) dp if you have a good dp. 2) block correctly and blowback once you confirm her actual hits and not just the persona. 3) reversal invul super.

Or you play Teddie.

Hobohodo

Limited edition just means it has the soundtrack CD and the 'digital fan pack' right? As that's what all the ones we had in store today were.

Geneijin

Yukiko, Aigis, Teddie, Mitsu, Aki, Naoto, Yu, Yosuke etc etc all have many different options. Unfortunately for mitsu, yu, aigis, and chie their strongest option is just so dominant to the point that their whole gameplan is just derpy.
This is just not true anymore. Only Yu and Chie's are. You still at least have the option of a wakeup DP against Mitsuru and Aigis oki.

Limited edition just means it has the soundtrack CD and the 'digital fan pack' right? As that's what all the ones we had in store today were.

I thought this was the limited edition, didn't know it was exclusive to Zen:
p4ael_thumb.jpg

akaoni

Banned
How do you get on projectile characters such as Elizabeth/Naoto etc, I've been dealing with a number of matches against these where they will stay fullscreen and lay traps all day against my Chie. I've tried superjump+airdash, 'rolling' (dashy thing), Bruce Lee air kick, air scissor kicks, Persona breaking. I'm usually taking quite a bit of damage just to get in, then it's a guessing game vs their traps/close range attacks.

FluxWaveZ

How do you get on projectile characters such as Elizabeth/Naoto etc, I've been dealing with a number of matches against these where they will stay fullscreen and lay traps all day against my Chie. I've tried superjump+airdash, 'rolling' (dashy thing), Bruce Lee air kick, air scissor kicks, Persona breaking. I'm usually taking quite a bit of damage just to get in, then it's a guessing game vs their traps/close range attacks.

Blocking + walking/dashing.

Plasma

Banned
So I just finished the story mode
I didn't like how each character had a different route, I was expecting it to be more like Mortal Kombat where it has one route and you jump around the different characters. It just felt like a lot of times I wasn't learning anything new about the story that I didn't find out from playing the last route. Not to say I didn't enjoy the game I thought it was very good it just seemed to be a little strung out, fighting Labrys then Shadow Labrys and then Labrys over and over again got a bit tiresome.

I liked Elizabeth's ending and the idea of possibly getting the Persona 3 MC back but I hope this ends up being something for Arena 2 rather than Persona 5 I'd like to see a new cast of characters for that with a different setting.

Glad it finally came out though, I really feel like playing through P3 FES and P4 Golden again now ...

Korigama

Finished challenge 30 for Mitsuru...how they expected anyone to have figured out how to do that without downloading the free demonstrations for everyone's final challenges first I'll never know, but at least they did make them available (unlocking the demonstration only AFTER completing said challenge would have been completely useless).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How do you get on projectile characters such as Elizabeth/Naoto

You don't. You put the controller on the floor and then go make a sandwich and cry.

Oh, you're not playing Akihiko? You may have a chance with jumping air-dashes. Maybe.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Finished challenge 30 for Mitsuru...how they expected anyone to have figured out how to do that without downloading the free demonstrations for everyone's final challenges first I'll never know, but at least they did make them available (unlocking the demonstration only AFTER completing said challenge would have been completely useless).

I got pretty close to figuring out Kanji's 30 on my own.

(but eventually looked it up online lol)

akaoni

Banned
Blocking + walking/dashing.

You don't. You put the controller on the floor and then go make a sandwich and cry.

Oh, you're not playing Akihiko? You may have a chance with jumping air-dashes. Maybe.

I has success at keeping my cool walking forward slowly and can pull some wins, though it's very much uphill everytime. The beginner playerbase has very quickly evolved into Naoto/Yukiko/Mitsuru (in otherwords a real pain in the ass for baddy-Chie, rarely have mirrors either) in that order as happens with every fighting game while the skilled players I come across are random'ish picks.

Reminds me I need to try lobbies again in DOA after my whining about them. Too many fighting games to choose from!

akaoni

Banned
Not enough Labrys.

The avatar gave me the impression of a really gloomy tone when I read that. I'll try her tomorrow, only used 3 characters so far, 2 of which were only used a few times, seems like a good time to try someone else after 50~ matches whilst I'm slightly frustrated

Korigama

Hm, interesting. I'm an NA player as well, and could always use the match experience if you're up for it (just playing ranked at the moment).

Sophia

Seems so. As of yet, I haven't run into a single one online (just a Shadow Labrys). She's the only one I haven't seen yet, too.

There's always a Labrys player in our PersonaGAF games. Usually me, sometimes buddha.

She doesn't have a lot of defensive options.

It's weird, I started learning her just to taunt Dantis, and I ended up enjoying her more than Aigis. >_>;

Ken

There's always a Labrys player in our PersonaGAF games. Usually me, sometimes buddha.

She doesn't have a lot of defensive options.

It's weird, I started learning her just to taunt Dantis, and I ended up enjoying her more than Aigis. >_>;

Who needs defense when you got red axe.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'll be more willing to play some games after this Wednesday, when my final project is due. My GT is oneida1.

Jawmuncher

So, how many 360 people are there left? I really could use the practice one of these days.

And your lag.

Last time checked it was a dead zone. But I wasn't in ranked but player. Might have changed with the EU release ( can different online versions play each other?)

Yeah even after having the game since September, the occasional online match, i still find my hate for fighting games the same. I still love leaving the game running on the main menu though. I like it as a Persona game, fighting games ehhhh not my cup of tea.

There was a decent amount of Labrys players when I played during the NA 360 launch. The least popular one that I saw was probably S. Labrys. It was mostly Akihikos and Yus when I played.

I saw Ken post his stats so here's mine:

I play Mitsuru

Well, if we're doing this:

That's crazy dude, there aren't enough hours in the day for me to play that much haha. After I hit A rank I decided that was enough ranked matches for me. Props though, must feel good to be so high on the leaderboard.

Tsundere Man

Hey, that's Fashionable Tsundere Man-God to you!

I hope Arcsys brings back the customizable titles for all of their future fighters. I've laughed way too hard at some of the things people come up with.

Rhapsody

Banned
I was too lazy to reach SS rank or higher. I reached S on two accounts though but got bored. : /
I know I could do it though if I tried.
Like others have said, just run then block and keep repeating until you finally get in. Against Liz's Maziodyne, her A version has a lot of recovery, so that's your chance, but good Liz players will do in the air close to the ground to reduce it. B version is the exact opposite by having long startup. Chie's the 2nd most mobile character, so you should be getting in rather quickly. Once you're in with her, it's pretty much game against those characters.

So, how does one go about getting together with some GAF folk for online spills and thrills? Full disclosure: I'm no fighting game aficianado, I just loves me some Persona universe!

NEO0MJ

Unless you screw up, at least 1/3.

Oh, and one last thing, and I guess P3 spoiler

When's the major story event? I know in P3 it was December when we had a chance to choose whether to fight Nyx or not. Any flag dates I have to know about?

Lemstar

Oh, and one last thing, and I guess P3 spoiler

When's the major story event? I know in P3 it was December when we had a chance to choose whether to fight Nyx or not. Any flag dates I have to know about?

beginning of December

also, why's all this in the P4A OT anyway

Korigama

Doing a bit better with ranked after switching back to Mitsuru and giving Naoto a break, but...it just feels wrong somehow. It felt more like I actually earned what wins I got with Naoto (yeah, yeah, Mitsuru and Chie = top tier, I know).

If any BST 360 players are up for some games sometime I'm happy to play. Will be picking up the PS3 version next week too. I'm normally on around 6-12.

Top Bottom