• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Syrinx

Got this game pre-ordered even though I don't own a Vita (yet). May pull the trigger this weekend or see if Gamestop or something has a good Black Friday deal (not going within a 10000-mile radius of any Wal-Mart or the like).

Anyway, can't wait. Never played P4 but love P3 FES.

cjkeats

I'm surprised that some people seem to think it would actually get re-recorded in English. Seems bizarre to me.

If it's the true story scene you guys are talking about, they didn't re-record it for the anime, so they most definitely wouldn't here.

Dantis

Eh, only time I think Atlus has rerecorded a song would be that shante shante song Sera sings in DDS

That was re-recorded?

Because the one on the OST is in English too.

Oh, don't act like you're not going to complain about it when you hear it. :p

But of course!

I'm still surprised though. That's actually a cool thing to do. That means the lyrics must be different and everything. I know it had bits of English already, but the verse was Japanese.

I'm gonna give P3 another shot, but from the 5ish hours that I played, I cannot for the life of me figure out why this series is so popular....

Is everyone who plays this game like a huge anime fan or something? Or did I just not get far enough into the game to "get it" ?

I'm gonna give P3 another shot, but from the 5ish hours that I played, I cannot for the life of me figure out why this series is so popular....

Is everyone who plays this game like a huge anime fan or something? Or did I just not get far enough into the game to "get it" ?

I used to be hugely against anime, but I became more open minded in the past few years. P3 has a bad beginning I would say, not much happens for many hours...

Wonko_C

So what are people deciding to get, physical or digital? This will be my first Persona game so I'm leaning towards digital. Especially since the amount of content seems massive so its something I would probably want on my Vita at all times. I also don't have a level of fanaticism with this series like I do with others, so there's less of a reason for me to go physical for collector's purposes. I'm excited!

Digital, I'd love to have physical copies of my games but there are many factors I decided to go 99% digital:

Games over here are released so late that they even beat GCT, are hard to find, or don't get released here at all, then they're overpriced. I'm not counting on Persona 4 Golden to ever be on stores (Tales of Graces f never showed up here). Getting a 32gb card and buying PSN cards ended up being cheaper, and convenient because I never have to change cards. (Hatsune Miku Project Diva f is never going to leave the slot anyways)

The only downside is that I can't trade-in digital games and I'll have to manage space when my collection gets bigger.

I was so excited to play this. I've never played a SMT/Persona game before and I've heard nothing but good things about this game.

Question: Did Sony just completely kill the sales of P4G before it even released by putting up 5 Vita games for free for PS+ on the same day this comes out?

I'm going to put off buying P4G for a while because now I have three new Vita games to play (I already have Gravity Rush and Mutant Blob) the day this comes out.

Maybe it's a small crossover between people interested in this game and Ps+ subscribers, but that deal killed this sale for me. I'll pick this up eventually, but I'm gonna play some Uncharted: GA and Wipeout 2048 first anyway.

Curufinwe

Persona 3 and 4 have obvious anime influences but you don't need to be an anime fan to enjoy them.

I was so excited to play this. I've never played a SMT/Persona game before and I've heard nothing but good things about this game.

Question: Did Sony just completely kill the sales of P4G before it even released by putting up 5 Vita games for free for PS+ on the same day this comes out?

I'm going to put off buying P4G for a while because now I have three new Vita games to play (I already have Gravity Rush and Mutant Blob) the day this comes out.

Maybe it's a small crossover between people interested in this game and Ps+ subscribers, but that deal killed this sale for me. I'll pick this up eventually, but I'm gonna play some Uncharted: GA and Wipeout 2048 first anyway.

I don't really think so, and if it somehow does, I don't think it was Sony's intention.

Roto13

It is pretty weird timing. They finally have a great semi-exclusive coming out and they choose now to start Plus on Vita? They should have done this during one of the many, many, many weeks that Vita has had nothing noteworthy coming.

It is pretty weird timing. They finally have a great semi-exclusive coming out and they choose now to start Plus on Vita? They should have done this during one of the many, many, many weeks that Vita has had nothing noteworthy coming.

That's what I was thinking. Why didn't plus come to Vita in August or September when we had virtually zero games coming out, Vita or otherwise? I mean, there was such a drought this summer, I think that could have really helped the Vita's sales. Weird timing is right, but again, it probably won't affect Persona 4 sales as much as it's affecting my decision to buy it at launch.

It is perfect timing. Anybody with a vita? They would have the plus games already. It is now all about tipping peole who were eyeing off P4G and a Vita over the edge.

P4G isn't enough to drive sales. With PS+ as well it just might work. At the very least it is their best shot.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I took the day off just so I could go pick this up early.

Clearly there is something wrong with me.

Though, with my crazy work schedule, I think it's warranted.

Uthred

Could be an unavoidable timing conflict, Vita+ is likely in the works for a while and IIRC wasnt P4:TG originally supposed to release in the US at the end of October? (Or perhaps that was a just a stand in date)

mollipen

This game is just so conflicting as a huge P4 fan. Almost everything about it feels so, so good—you can just tell the amount of polish and extra work that went into Golden. Reviewing conversations, the fast-forward for cutscenes, re-organizing a Persona's skills, on and on.

But then, the hardcore Persona nut in me is driven a little crazy by the "casualization" that's also gone on in the game. No challenge in picking post-battle cards, MC death only wiping out progress on the current floor (versus progress since the last save), stuff like that. And then there are the bits of fan service that I'm not a fan of.

Unquestionably, this is by far the better version of Persona 4—but it's also been interesting to see how my emotions have gone up and down at times during what I've played so far.

Dantis

This game is just so conflicting as a huge P4 fan. Almost everything about it feels so, so good—you can just tell the amount of polish and extra work that went into Golden. Reviewing conversations, the fast-forward for cutscenes, re-organizing a Persona's skills, on and on.

But then, the hardcore Persona nut in me is driven a little crazy by the "casualization" that's also gone on in the game. No challenge in picking post-battle cards, MC death only wiping out progress on the current floor (versus progress since the last save), stuff like that. And then there are the bits of fan service that I'm not a fan of.

Unquestionably, this is by far the better version of Persona 4—but it's also been interesting to see how my emotions have gone up and down at times during what I've played so far.

Let's be friends.

Astra

Just to confirm, but this only happens if you choose the Very Easy difficulty setting, right? Right?!

Dantis

Just to confirm, but this only happens if you choose the Very Easy difficulty setting, right? Right?!

Nope. I played through on normal. Only wiped twice too, and both times were because I hadn't realised the boss had done Power Charge.

Game is very easy.

Astra

Nope. I played through on normal. Only wiped twice too, and both times were because I hadn't realised the boss had done Power Charge.

Game is very easy.

So you're just sent back to the beginning of the floor you died on? That's pretty bullshit. It should have been a separate option to engage casual mode.

Astra

Very Easy just revives your entire party and you keep on fighting. :p

Well, that's fine. Anybody who picks Very Easy would need that kind of help. Making our normal modes super easy though, I'm pretty disappointed with that. How about Maniac? Just floor progress lost there, as well?

Does this happen on Hard or Risky mode too? As for challenge in picking post-battle cards, is it more than getting rid of the original bonus "upright or downside" pick?

yami4ct

As if the original card games were difficult. Except the reels, how I hate them.

Near the end, I remember the card stuff getting really fast. It could be a bit tricky. Also, the reels did suck. We'll see about this new system. Sounds fine to me, but who knows.

Near the end, I remember the card stuff getting really fast. It could be a bit tricky. Also, the reels did suck. We'll see about this new system. Sounds fine to me, but who knows.

I was fine with most of it but the bonus "minigame" with cards that would give you a death curse or 1xp fights was bullshit.

Top Bottom