• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

cjkeats

I have all 3 of the art books, it's a lot of repeated art from the Soejima works, but the P3 and P4 books have a lot concept art, and a bunch of talk about the designs and some interviews with Soejima. If you just want the art, you can't go wrong with just the Soejima works book, because all it is is full, completed pieces.

The P4 book is roughly the same length as Soejima works (a little longer actually, but it's more wordy), but the P3 book is about half the length of them, and nothing from Portable.

Dantis

I have all 3 of the art books, it's a lot of repeated art from the Soejima works, but the P3 and P4 books have a lot concept art, and a bunch of talk about the designs and some interviews with Soejima. If you just want the art, you can't go wrong with just the Soejima works book, because all it is is full, completed pieces.

The P4 book is roughly the same length as Soejima works (a little longer actually, but it's more wordy), but the P3 book is about half the length of them, and nothing from Portable.

I think the P3 one is about 140, Soejima is about 160 and P4 is about 192. Can't remember how long Venus Mode is, and I'm too lazy to get up and check.

Dantis

This one, right?

I don't have any of them, it's a gaping hole in my life which I aim to rectify :p

Yeah, that one. The interview is the most recent aside from the Venus Mode one too (Which hasn't been translated). Very much worth a read.

That book has some absolutely amazing illustrations by him, like these:

1920x1280s.jpg

Yep. Amazing book, has some of his best high res art, namely the Stella Deus stuff.

I'd consider the Stella Deus chapter the weakest part of the whole book...

with the P3/4 era coming to a close, I cant wait to see what P5 will bring. I just hope its something fresh, for as great as p4 was, it was still a rehash. I don't suspect them to ditch Social Links but I would like them to rework it so they are less static and more dynamic and important to the main story. In my opinion, the thing that needs a major reworking is the passage of time and the calendar system. Anyone else got any thoughts?

Dantis

with the P3/4 era coming to a close, I cant wait to see what P5 will bring. I just hope its something fresh, for as great as p4 was, it was still a rehash. I don't suspect them to ditch Social Links but I would like them to rework it so they are less static and more dynamic and important to the main story. In my opinion, the thing that needs a major reworking is the passage of time and the calendar system. Anyone else got any thoughts?

My thoughts are that it will probably blow my mind. I loaded up Catherine last night and it reminded me how good the actual Persona team are at making games.

My only concern is that I can see them potentially moving away from turn based combat (Because nobody does old-school turn-based combat any more), which I think would be a huge mistake.

Dantis

That's what made me a Soejima fan. :(

It doesn't resemble his newer work except in the colouring though. It was before he really found his footing in terms of lineart, and the style is much more anime, which doesn't appeal to me personally. I think his artistic skills are much stronger now, and I like the stylishness of his newer work.

EDIT: I should point out that I do love the colouring of his Stella Deus stuff. All the blue looks really nice.

My thoughts are that it will probably blow my mind. I loaded up Catherine last night and it reminded me how good the actual Persona team are at making games.

My only concern is that I can see them potentially moving away from turn based combat (Because nobody does old-school turn-based combat any more), which I think would be a huge mistake.

That would potentially kill it for me. While 2 is my favorite, and we all know how "good" the gameplay is in that game, I like Persona 3 and 4 (and most of the rest of Megaten) for its quick and tight turn based gameplay with its strong emphasis on strengths and weaknesses. Also its one of the only series where buffs and debuffs are actually a big part of combat.

Tamanon

Banned
So didn't Naoto's skills get a boost in this version of the game? I thought I saw they were more useful now on bosses at least.

Pretty much. They should surprise us as always; it's Megaten's greatest strength: giving us what we don't know we wanted.

Ponn

Banned
I'm getting nervous, newegg hasn't charged P4G yet so that means it probably won't ship till monday at earliest. With the holiday my worst fear is not getting this till after thanksgiving and I couldn't enjoy my turkey like that. Think i'm going to cancel newegg order and hope for discount on Tuesday.

Ugh can't get into Assassin's Creed Liberation, think it is worth trading in towards my P4g reserve?

Also on NG+ what exactly carries over? and does it carry over to higher difficulty levels?

Levito

Banned
Man I can't wait to play through the game again, even though I just did back in the summer. Will be great seeing the game at a much higher resolution.

It looks like it's going to be awhile until they ship my copy (stupid Amazon) so I went ahead and bought P1 and P2: IS of off the store, already had 3. I've got the retail games but I wanted them all on my Vita. So now I have 2 versions of all 3, both retail and digital.

But now I feel the void of not having Eternal Punishment. Sigh...come on Atlus, do the right thing and release it. Or at least announce it for the west.

It looks like it's going to be awhile until they ship my copy (stupid Amazon) so I went ahead and bought P1 and P2: IS of off the store, already had 3. I've got the retail games but I wanted them all on my Vita. So now I have 2 versions of all 3, both retail and digital.

But now I feel the void of not having Eternal Punishment. Sigh...come on Atlus, do the right thing and release it. Or at least announce it for the west.

I still own the PS1 version of Eternal Punishment and I wonder if the existence of the effort put into localizing that game will detract the effort necessary to localize the PSP version. Nich, are you there, man? :)

graywolf323

or at least even just put the PS1 version up on PSN >_<

graywolf323

honestly I really believe that if Atlus USA doesn't bring over Persona 2: Eternal Punishment PSP then it's the death of the Atlus we used to know

I mean seriously they brought us Gungnir several months ago... but not P2 EP?

The PSN version is not enough now, since the added content in EP is actually a very good addition to the story and builds up the world of the series more.

cjkeats

Well, it's a been a while but, IIRC there were some strange localization swaps of people/places names, cultural references (maybe?), and dialogue. Shit, I dunno, it also wouldn't be in sweet widescreen, right?

There were probably some changes, but I doubt it was as drastic as P1 PsOne.
You could always set it to wiiiidddeeeeessscreeeeen in the settings.
get it? I stretched the word "widescreen", because that's what it does to Psone games. Funny right?...right?..

get it? I stretched the word "widescreen", because that's what it does to Psone games. Funny right?...right?..

the only major changes in P2EP stem from the P1 localization. What I mean is, if a character or location is mentioned in P2, such as Kei Nanjo/Nate Nanjo/Nate Trinity and Mikage/Lunarville, they would have the Revelations Persona name. Anything new in P2 is for the most part, correctly translated.

This is what im rockin, just swap ToM:B with P4G in a few days. Dunno if I want to keep this though. If only the heads were properly moved so I can position the 4 games slightly less...well...dumbly.

20121115194415.jpg

someone told me this is on psn now can someone confirm?

Nope, not yet.

Hehe, Ulala and Maya deserve more!

The PSN version is not enough now, since the added content in EP is actually a very good addition to the story and builds up the world of the series more.

Yeah good point.

Earlier than tuesday*? Not gonna happen. This is Sony we're talking about.

*Times subject to chnage, based on Grace Chen time.

Assassin's Creed Liberation and Black Ops Declassified went up extremely early. Wonder if this will get the same treatment...if not this, then Sony Smash?

I could forgive people for assuming the added dungeons in EP would suck and be irrelevant, because the IS ones did suck and were irrelevant.

Wait, are you talking about the movie theater stuff in PSP IS? Does PSP EP do that too? Hmmm, I was hoping that the new cat NPC had a sweet, new dungeon or something.

cjkeats

Speaking of which, when do the PSN stores update for you guys? Mine never seems to until sometime Wednesday morning.

And another question, anyone here know if stores in Canada have gotten it? My solid gold isn't shipping untill friday, so I'm worried it's gonna be late to get across the border like P2:IS, Catherine and Devil Survivor OC were.

Speaking of which, when do the PSN stores update for you guys? Mine never seems to until sometime Wednesday morning.

And another question, anyone here know if stores in Canada have gotten it? My solid gold isn't shipping untill friday, so I'm worried it's gonna be late to get across the border like P2:IS, Catherine and Devil Survivor OC were.

I heard a rumor that PSN udates earlier and Canada has standard versions of the games in some stores but you better know the management if you want to get the goods early. Just a rumor, couldn't come true, maybe.

cjkeats

I heard a rumor that PSN udates earlier and Canada has standard versions of the games in some stores but you better know the management if you want to get the goods early. Just a rumor, couldn't come true, maybe.

I'm in the earliest time zone in Canada, and it's always in the middle of the night.

I have a standard edition ordered in store, but I'm not really concerned about getting it early, just on time. Atlus has a track record of never getting stuff up here on time. Arena was on time, but just when I thought they had it together, Code of Princess wasn't.

I'm in the earliest time zone in Canada, and it's always in the middle of the night.

I have a standard edition ordered in store, but I'm not really concerned about getting it early, just on time. Atlus has a track record of never getting stuff up here on time. Arena was on time, but just when I thought they had it together, Code of Princess wasn't.

Hmmm, well there is a big PSN update on the 19th with all of the PS+ Vita service and what not. Perhaps P4G will show up alongside of it - as usual, NeoGAF will know.

Top Bottom