• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capra

Heh, did you start studying only after the game tells you to for exams? The way to do it is to study regularly, not just try to cram it all before the exams, since you usually won't level up your knowledge in time like that.

How could I have been doing it regularly when I only have enough time to do one thing each day? Playing on Hard might be contributing to the problem here - I had to keep chiseling at the Palace over several days due to running out of SP and barely had any free time afterwards.

Man just finish the game first.
Also sense of urgency is not necessary for a good plot, I don't need to be chased to feel like I am progressing. But still, finish the game first.

yeah i'll do that, it's just that... i dunno, even if the twist is CRAZY GOOD, it's hard to forget 100 hours of nothing really interesting happening (at least to me)

i didn't felt engaged like the previous persona games! Sure you don't need to be chased to have a good plot, i fully agree with you on that! The game is still amazing of course, one of the best out there, but i excepted more from the plot during the WHOLE game, not just at the end!

At least your comment reassures me, i'll probably finish it tomorrow! (i know it's dumb to judge a game like that, but when you have too much exceptations, it will do that to you, haha)

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I can't be the only one who thinks that Persona 5 is better on all fronts than Persona 3/4 can I? Feeling really lonely here.

nOoblet16

Story is completely underwhelming, you're vspoiled hours ago by the game itself and the twists should've instead bring content. Back I'm bored and just want it to end now. I shouldn't have hoped that after chapter 4 that story will pick up.
Like I said, just finish the game. If I say anything or even hint at anything I'll be spoiling stuff so I'll just ask you to play the thing before coming to conclusions like that afterall you are not at the end.

i'm at the end of the
7th palace
and to me the story is pretty underwhelming, i just can't put it over P3 or P4! there's never a real sence of urgency or the feel of a real threat, like previous persona games, especially persona 3! I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a twist after this palace, can you tell me if it will change my mind about the story? I really hope so!

Also you should play persona 2 if it's not already the case, the best one when it comes to the story IMO, especially if you like darker stories!

I didn't think P4 had any sense of threat until almost the end of the game. Despite the game being focused on a murder mystery it was about as non-threatening and bloodless as an episode of "Murder She Wrote".

Recall

I guess the more I play (I'm just about to start Palace 3) the more I've gotten over my original fear of not levelling up my confidants enough and it somehow punishing me.

My only fear now is not having the right persona when it comes to weaknesses.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm following a 100% guide and my knowledge was 1 at the first exams man.

I'd actually rate Persona 5's Social Links as pretty high just because of their affects of gameplay and the systems. Like all of the Confidants have effects related to who they are and what they do and affect the game in pretty large ways.

My knowledge was at 2 for the first one. I guess the optimal route requires you to sacrifice that.

FluxWaveZ

How could I have been doing it regularly when I only have enough time to do one thing each day? Playing on Hard might be contributing to the problem here - I had to keep chiseling at the Palace over several days due to running out of SP and barely had any free time afterwards.

Hard mode would probably be the contributing factor. On Normal, I just had enough to level up my knowledge to 2 before the first exams hit. I went to the diner a lot.

I can't be the only one who thinks that Persona 5 is better on all fronts than Persona 3/4 can I? Feeling really lonely here.

Of course you're not, I feel that a lot of people have been saying this. Including me.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
i'm at the end of the
7th palace
and to me the story is pretty underwhelming, i just can't put it over P3 or P4! there's never a real sence of urgency or the feel of a real threat, like previous persona games, especially persona 3! I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a twist after this palace, can you tell me if it will change my mind about the story? I really hope so!

Also you should play persona 2 if it's not already the case, the best one when it comes to the story IMO, especially if you like darker stories!

Story is completely underwhelming, you're vspoiled hours ago by the game itself and the twists should've instead bring content. I'm bored and just want it to end now. I shouldn't have hoped that after chapter 4 that story will pick up.
I totally disagree. I was consistently engaged from beginning to end. It's insane how a 90 hour game managed to be so interesting for such a long period of time.

I liked Persona 2, but it was a bit too dark for me.

Oh, and (no explicit spoilers, but read at your own peril)
the twist isn't the twist, it's meant to be obvious as a red herring. There are layers beyond who sold you out at the beginning.

nOoblet16

yeah i'll do that, it's just that... i dunno, even if the twist is CRAZY GOOD, it's hard to forget 100 hours of nothing really interesting happening (at least to me)

i didn't felt engaged like the previous persona games! The game is still amazing of course, one of the best out there, but i excepted more from the plot during the WHOLE game!

At least your comment reassures me, i'll probably finish it tomorrow!
I donno previous Persona games have shit RNG dungeons which were just palatte swaps of each others which I wanted to get out of, that's pretty big misfire for me when it comes to something being engaging. Here I keep coming back because I want to see the dungeons and the story specific to the dungeons.

Your engagement should be determined by what the game is offering as a whole rather than a single main plot thread..which you haven't finished yet. The individual plot specific to each dungeons are good to keep you engaged until the next one pops up. Previous games didn't really have this done properly as the dungeons themselves had no character and that's why you probably needed a main thread to keep you engaged.

the saddest thing to me is that almost nobody talks about P2, haha

I donno previous Persona games have shit RNG dungeons which I wanted to get out of, that's pretty big misfire for me when it comes to something being engaging. Here I keep coming back because I want to see the dungeons. Your engagement should be determined by what the game is offering as a whole rather than a single plot line..Which you haven't finished yet.

i was just talking about the story! In term of gameplay, dungeons, and style, persona 5 do EVERYTHING better, no doubt about it

ShadyK54

No, you're right. It's way better on every single front.

P4G is one of my favorite games of all time, but P5 easily blows past it.

LiK

I love the laughs and humming from Futaba's English VA. It's really great and adds a lot of charm to her character.

Are you studying at the diner and the cafe on rainy days? You get extra knowledge for doing so.

I was able to get score in the Top Half for the first exam playing on hard. And Top Ten results for the second exams.

IS/EP were fantastic but I prefer the series from P3 onwards. I just love how unique the formula is.

I would kill for proper remakes for IS/EP that go a lot farther than the Vita versions. I don't need S. Links or anything. Just proper dungeon design and a snappier combat system.

My knowledge was at 2 for the first one. I guess the optimal route requires you to sacrifice that.

Yeah, I think it's because most of the knowledge requirement stuff is later on and earlier you can raise the other ones faster as well as unlock confidant stuff with lower levels of stuff like Kindness and Guts and Charm.

I forget, that was over like 80 hours ago lol

So far Persona 5 does seem to be better on nearly all fronts yes. There might be a few things I prefer about 3 though... we'll have to see.

At the moment (I'm just after the third dungeon) I think I slightly prefer the overall story in 3 and I feel like all the cast cares about is being Phantom Thieves. Can we talk about something else please?

Sometime this year I will revisit P2. I think I played like a hour or two but the random encounters were killing my vibe.

Shouta

I didn't think P4 had any sense of threat until almost the end of the game. Despite the game being focused on a murder mystery it was about as non-threatening and bloodless as an episode of "Murder She Wrote".

I'm pretty sure there have been bloodier episodes of Murder, She Wrote...

Chaos17

I guess the more I play (I'm just about to start Palace 3) the more I've gotten over my original fear of not levelling up my confidants enough and it somehow punishing me.

My only fear now is not having the right persona when it comes to weaknesses.
Don't feel that way, the game kinda force you into new game+ if you don't check any guide.

Well, starting with P3, it pretty much became an entirely different series.
I loved Innocent Sin on PSP for what it's worth, I thought the story was fantastic. Maya, Tatsuya, Ginko, Michel... Best Persona team imo. The gameplay has not aged well though, and that's being generous.

I've never been able to go past the first couple hours of Persona 1.

So far Persona 5 does seem to be better on nearly all fronts yes. There might be a few things I prefer about 3 though... we'll have to see.

Sometime this year I will revisit P2. I think I played like a hour or two but the random encounters were killing my vibe.

just play it in very easy or with cheats, and do it for the story! It's still the best for me, even if i love P3 and P4

I donno previous Persona games have shit RNG dungeons which I wanted to get out of, that's pretty big misfire for me when it comes to something being engaging. Here I keep coming back because I want to see the dungeons. Your engagement should be determined by what the game is offering as a whole rather than a single plot line..Which you haven't finished yet.

that's all i want to say really, persona kept evolving in a good way in term of gameplay and design, P5 is proof of that, but the characters and story and P2 are the best coming from an atlus RPG to me!

No you're not. I think P5 blew P4G away but P4G was one of my favorite games of all time last gen.

It's just that those who feel like P5 isn't completely better will be more vocal. I expected this because it's nigh on impossible to have everyone happy with a different game.

Alucrid

Banned
Is there a guide for this? Apt Pupil was OP for me, so I'll go with that over Ali Dance.

someone else asked me about this so i took the time to remember what i did

Chi You (absorb psy) x Kali (absorb nuke) = Cu Chulainn (absorb psy and absorb nuke)

Satan (absorb ice) x Ishtar (absorb wind) = Attis (drain wind and drain ice)

Attis (absorb wind and absorb ice) x Anzu = Yatagarasu (absorb win and absorb ice)

Cu Chulainn (absorb psy and absorb nuke) x Dionysus = Futshunushi (absorb nuke, absorb psy, apt pupil, ali dance)

Yatagarasu (absorb wind and absorb ice) x Futshunushi (absorb nuke, absorb psy, apt pupil, ali dance) x Okuninushi x Arahabaki x Shiki-Ouji = Yoshitsune (absorb nuke, absorb psy, absorb wind, absorb ice and apt pupil or ali dance)

replace Brave Blade with Hassou Tobi, keep charge, replace ziodyne with repel curse from Sandalphon via strengthening / save scum. you can switch out ali dance and apt pupil by strengthening with Futshunushi.

Guess Who

Banned
I think P5 is better than P4 vanilla. It's not really fair to compare it to P4G since that was a revision.

I'd say it's better than P4G too - P4G was honestly kind of a mixed bag in terms of additions, and pretty much every positive addition in P4G is present in P5 too.

Chaos17

I totally disagree. I was consistently engaged from beginning to end. It's insane how a 90 hour game managed to be so interesting for such a long period of time.

I liked Persona 2, but it was a bit too dark for me.

Oh, and (no explicit spoilers, but read at your own peril)
the twist isn't the twist, it's meant to be obvious as a red herring. There are layers beyond who sold you out at the beginning.
Also all the hanholding is horrible.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I would kill for proper remakes for IS/EP that go a lot farther than the Vita versions. I don't need S. Links or anything. Just proper dungeon design and a snappier combat system.

I'd buy a console for that. Actual remakes would be phenomenal. And I'll draw the ire of P1/2 fans but I'd love S-Links too. These are stories worth telling again, with better gameplay in any case. Not that say that the gameplay is bad. I still really love both P2s in their current form.

P1 is way archaic though.

A.J.

Banned
I'd say it's better than P4G too - P4G was honestly kind of a mixed bag in terms of additions, and pretty much every positive addition in P4G is present in P5 too.
Yeah, Marie felt really shoehorned and almost like a self insert fanfiction character

Gbraga

I'm still very early on in the game, but I feel like it starts very slow. Like, P4 started slow as well, but it felt better to me because it was more story-heavy. The "dungeon" where the game is still holding your hand is like one fight in the liquor store. P5 starts right on the action, but that's only the tone and cutscenes, the game is just as slow and tutorial-heavy. So you have this weird mix of not much going on because it's a dungeon sequence, but you don't get to really do anything because the game won't let you.

I'm about to start what I'm hoping will be the first dungeon crawling sequence with no hand-holding, let's see how it goes.

And Ryuji is a complete idiot. Please just shut up and stop saying you didn't understand everything.

Again, I'm still veeeeery early, so I know everything can change, but P4 had me hooked before.

Lunar15

I'm still very early on in the game, but I feel like it starts very slow. Like, P4 started slow as well, but it felt better to me because it was more story-heavy. The "dungeon" where the game is still holding your hand is like one fight in the liquor store. P5 starts right on the action, but that's only the tone and cutscenes, the game is just as slow and tutorial-heavy. So you have this weird mix of not much going on because it's a dungeon sequence, but you don't get to really do anything because the game won't let you.

I'm about to start what I'm hoping will be the first dungeon crawling sequence with no hand-holding, let's see how it goes.

And Ryuji is a complete idiot. Please just shut up and stop saying you didn't understand everything.

Again, I'm still veeeeery early, so I know everything can change, but P4 had me hooked before.

Had the same feeling at first, but once I hit the first boss the game really clicked.

Dantis

For me:

Gameplay and presentation is miles better than P3 and P4.

Characters are worse than P4, better than P3

Music, I'm unsure of. Better than P3. Probably worse than P4.

Story is worse than P4, better than P3.

It also adds some things that it doesn't need to, which bring it down a bit. The framing device is awful and frustrating. The number of times Morgana tells you to go to sleep is ridiculous. I also have serious issues with some of the narrative parts too.

At best, I'd say it stands level with P4, but we'll see how I feel when I finish it in English. I've changed my mind on some things since playing it in a language I can actually understand, hahaha.

Capra

Does the game let up on forcing me through story beats and dungeon segments after the first boss? I'm a few days into the next chapter and getting tired of having barely any choice in how to spend my time. I kinda just want them to bang out an introduction to the next palace and let me figure out how to tackle it from there in a certain timeframe - confidants and social sim stuff are really interesting but they might as well not be there at all if the game's just going to hold my hand and tell me what to do all the time.

Really love this game so far. I just wish it and this damn cat would loosen the grip on my balls.

Me too, so far. But you can't please everyone. There are even people who prefer DR1 over DR2! ;)

Similar to Persona 3 and 4, I think the first Danganronpa (that's what we are talking about right?) might have the more effective atmosphere. But even then 2 has it's own interesting tone and I think at the end of the day I go with 2 myself.

For me:

Gameplay and presentation is miles better than P3 and P4.

Characters are worse than P4, better than P3

Music, I'm unsure of. Better than P3. Probably worse than P4.

Story is worse than P4, better than P3.

It also adds some things that it doesn't need to, which bring it down a bit. The framing device is awful and frustrating. The number of times Morgana tells you to go to sleep is ridiculous. I also have serious issues with some of the narrative parts too.

At best, I'd say it stands level with P4, but we'll see how I feel when I finish it in English. I've changed my mind on some things since playing it in a language I can actually understand, hahaha.

It's funny you say that because I'd give story and music to Persona 3, and characters aren't that far behind.

Trago

After a week of fuckery, I finally have time to play this game for more that thirty minutes!

At the beginning of the game too. Will binge play throughout the weekend.

Also the steelbook I ordered is dented! FUCK!

Lunar15

I've only just completed the third dungeon, so I can't make sweeping comments on which game is better than which, but I am happy that, despite gameplay trappings being the same, the game is attempting to do extremely different things than 3 or 4. It actually makes it somewhat hard to compare to 4. The stories are just extremely different.

The only real observation that I have so far is that 4 really felt like these kids who had to do all this supernatural stuff they didn't want to do, while 5 is about these kids who really go out of their way to do supernatural stuff even though they don't have to. As someone mentioned before, the Phantom Thieves is the primary subject for the group, it's what all their discussions revolve around. In P4 they talked a lot about the murders, but it only really reached a head when a new person got kidnapped.

This isn't really a bad thing (yet), but it's an extraordinarily different feel from 4. Right now, my love for the concept of "phantom thieves" and picaresque elements is balancing out my preference for the more laid back atmosphere of 4's cast. It's a trade-off, essentially.

You're not alone here. The general consensus is that P5 is the best Persona game, but GAF isn't an echo chamber and the game isn't perfect either.

I still love many things from P3 more than what we see in P5, like the edgy atmosphere, for example. But it is undeniable how superior everything in P5 compared to its predecessors. Many people can still like the cast of the other games more or the Social links, etc., but the game as a whole is one of the best RPGs ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom