• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I think the official lyric is "At Poe's Masquerade". But like with all persona games, I'm basically going to go with whatever I hear first. Like Your Affection's classic line: "To Kick a Puppy".

Dammit you might be right lol. Thats just part of the charm trying to figure out what the vocals are.

So what's the new OT title gonna be :p

So much material...

Persona 5 |OT| I'm a shapeshifter

As you can tell I really love that song lol

So... One thing I think that is a hugely missed opportunity in this game is that the links to P3/P4 are next to non-existent. Which okay sure its a standalone experience for the most part and they wouldn't want those characters and stories to overshadow this game... The problem I have with that is that they've literally spent all of the games between the release of P4 and P5 building up the story of the casts of P3/P4 learning about each other and coming together and working together. Mitsuru's group and just Naoto in general would generally still be in Japan right around now and with all the crazy shit that happens with the Phantom Thieves and they don't get involved at all? I just find that hard to believe. Not to mention that after all the build up between the multiple games expanding the story I'm really just surprised that none of the characters show up ever not even some of the minor ones. I mean P4 had the cast goes to the school of P3 for a field trip and that one girl who was a social link in P3 was the one who greeted them. Theres nothing even like that in this game, just posters of Rise and Kanamin and I think Naoto's name is mentioned on TV at one point maybe?

I'm not trying to say I wanted tons of characters to return or anything (I mean I kinda wanted to see it happen in a final dungeon true ending epilogue or something) but it seems odd that none of the characters show up even for a minor part. Hell considering what happens during the endgame... P5 ENDGAME SPOILERS!!
With Goro basically filling Naoto's 'high school detective' role and then betraying you, wouldn't it have been interesting if Naoto or Mitsuru had been investigating the mental shutdown cases (since they clearly are paranormal and they have experience with such situations already) and they show up to help the team during the final arc of the game? It wouldn't have to be a huge role or anything, hell they'd basically just be taking Goro's place as the 9th character but it would be great fan service and really tie in the spinoffs and what not.
It wouldn't even have to be that either, having one of the characters as a social link could have been just as interesting.

I guess I just think its a missed opportunity and I was really expecting SOMETHING to come from all the spin offs in one of the mainline games. With how hard Atlus does fan service in general (both in this game and the last few) I guess I'm surprised how enclosed this game is to itself considering the Phantom Theives operate on a national stage and all. Just things like that and a few other things in this game just don't come off as believable to me really.

jonjonaug

Her interrogation for the tower arcana is the fucking best. I can't tell if it's supposed to be intentional because it's fucking hilarious.

Fortune and Tower are both hilarious

"Someone had to be giving you advice on what to do!"
*Cut back to protag, who is chatting with a fortune teller that just scammed him out of a thousand dollars*

"Someone had to be teaching you how to shoot!"
*Cut to protag at the arcade with a little kid*

Did anyone else think of this scene or was it just me?

Lunar15

Gonna have to disagree with point about references. I'm really glad there's very few connections to 3 or 4 in this game. In fact, I've actually been surprised at how many references there have been. As someone else mentioned, it's much more like P3 to P2, where the references are minor and restricted to the TV.

P4's been a huge thing for nearly a decade through spinoffs and whatnot. I'm glad they're letting 5 breathe on its own.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So... One thing I think that is a hugely missed opportunity in this game is that the links to P3/P4 are next to non-existent. Which okay sure its a standalone experience for the most part and they wouldn't want those characters and stories to overshadow this game... The problem I have with that is that they've literally spent all of the games between the release of P4 and P5 building up the story of the casts of P3/P4 learning about each other and coming together and working together. Mitsuru's group and just Naoto in general would generally still be in Japan right around now and with all the crazy shit that happens with the Phantom Thieves and they don't get involved at all? I just find that hard to believe. Not to mention that after all the build up between the multiple games expanding the story I'm really just surprised that none of the characters show up ever not even some of the minor ones. I mean P4 had the cast goes to the school of P3 for a field trip and that one girl who was a social link in P3 was the one who greeted them. Theres nothing even like that in this game, just posters of Rise and Kanamin and I think Naoto's name is mentioned on TV at one point maybe?

I'm not trying to say I wanted tons of characters to return or anything (I mean I kinda wanted to see it happen in a final dungeon true ending epilogue or something) but it seems odd that none of the characters show up even for a minor part. Hell considering what happens during the endgame... P5 ENDGAME SPOILERS!!
With Goro basically filling Naoto's 'high school detective' role and then betraying you, wouldn't it have been interesting if Naoto or Mitsuru had been investigating the mental shutdown cases (since they clearly are paranormal and they have experience with such situations already) and they show up to help the team during the final arc of the game? It wouldn't have to be a huge role or anything, hell they'd basically just be taking Goro's place as the 9th character but it would be great fan service and really tie in the spinoffs and what not.
It wouldn't even have to be that either, having one of the characters as a social link could have been just as interesting.

I guess I just think its a missed opportunity and I was really expecting SOMETHING to come from all the spin offs in one of the mainline games. With how hard Atlus does fan service in general (both in this game and the last few) I guess I'm surprised how enclosed this game is to itself considering the Phantom Theives operate on a national stage and all. Just things like that and a few other things in this game just don't come off as believable to me really.
Yeah, this bugged me too. Mitsuru and Naoto especially had the perfect excuses to appear and all Rise (a national star now) got was a poster.

Zekes!

I will say that I still missing shooting yourself in the head to summon your Persona

that shit was dope

I'm really loving Persona 5, but Persona 3 still has had the biggest impact of me, even though I thought 4 was a better game.

Lunar15

So why must masks be ripped off again?

tumblr_m6cxbx4MgW1qg8477.png

Setsu00

So why must masks be ripped off again?

Persona = Latin word for mask.

A Persona is a role that you play in everyday life. The characters in P5 are forced into roles they don't want: The protagonist is a criminal offender, Ryuji is a troublemaker, Ann is Kamoshida's toy, etc. They rip of their masks to symbolically rid themselves of the labels that were forced upon them. There's a reason why the characters are chained to their Personas.

Guess Who

Banned

As someone who thinks the P3/P4 spinoffs are terribly written compared to the mainline games, feels all attempts to cross them over have largely just revealed how much they were never meant to really go together, and feels the P3 and P4 casts have had enough spotlight on them for the past decade that we don't really need any more of them, P5 going in a totally new and different direction with almost no connection to past games is exactly what I wanted.

It's a waste of time that serves no constructive purpose. Every time it pulls me put of the game for one those stupid interrogation scenes it completely ruins my immersion.

I don't care how Sae percieves thw thieves. And that's ignoring that she doesn't actually provide any fucking insight whatsoever.

"The Phantom Thieves did a lot of running. You must have had someone providing you with high quality footwear for such feats! WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THAT???"

I'll agree here. I feel like the story spoils me on who the next target will be. The cast is mulling over who to target and I'm like "I know who the target is! Get to it already!" instead of thinking it out with them.

Mediking

Naoto and Kanji both suffer from society in the same way the P5 cast does. Naoto feels pressured to pose as a man since she feels (and according to P5 she's right) like she won't be respected in a society dominated by men. Kanji's arc is all about masculinity, its perception in society and trying to break away from the idea that you have to be aggressive and loud to be a man.

I hear you... but...

Does P4G after the end Naoto still care about investigating?

I know Naoto is referenced on the tv though...

Ryuji and Kanji would've been friends for sure.

Guess Who

Banned
I'll agree here. I feel like the story spoils me on who the next target will be. The cast is mulling over who to target and I'm like "I know who the target is! Get to it already!" instead of thinking it out with them.

I think the idea is that who the target is doesn't really matter, it's why they're the target that creates the tension (and the flashforwards don't spoil that).

Quick question. Can you Max a confident rank with a female character without entering a relationship?

Yes.

Yeah, this bugged me too. Mitsuru and Naoto especially had the perfect excuses to appear and all Rise (a national star now) got was a poster.

Glad I'm not the only one. Also isn't Yu Narukami from Tokyo anyway? I mean its been a few years but still. It's like they actively avoided putting any real character references to P3/P4 in this game and thats just really annoying to be honest because I thought these spinoffs were leading to some kind of real Persona lore and expanded universe like a Trails lite kind of thing.

It's just really disappointing.

Glad I'm not the only one. Also isn't Yu Narukami from Tokyo anyway? I mean its been a few years but still. It's like they actively avoided putting any real character references to P3/P4 in this game and thats just really annoying to be honest because I thought these spinoffs were leading to some kind of real Persona lore and expanded universe like a Trails lite kind of thing.

Was really neat how they handled cameos in Persona 2, sucks they didn't do the same for the other Persona games.

Hey guys got a question:

there is DLC out there that lets you use some of the music from previous games. But how does that work. Is it randomly used time to time, do you turn it on (thus forcing you to eventually turn it off if you want to go back to the P5 BGM etc.)

Everyone who praises P3's plot as unique has never watched Evangelion.
It's literally the exact same thing albeit with a different ending.

The comparison to Evangelion is on point. Except that SEES members are not annoying (except for Junpei), I keep finding lots of parallels between both stories.

P5 feels closer to P3 than to P4, which in my opinion is a good thing. The beginning of P4 feels very promising: a murder mystery that the main cast has to solve because they were targeted by the culprit themselves. But as the story progresses you don't get any clues that lead to the identity of the culprit, so you don't feel you're making any progress, and then you reach the point of the story when you have to decide who is the culprit and you choose someone randomly because the game didn't bother to give you any clues. That moment really disappointed me. But the worst part was how cliché the characters really are and how staged are all their interactions: The tough guy with a soft side, the pretty girl with terrible sense of humor and worse laughter, the tomboyish girl... I could've overlooked all those traits if it wasn't for all the times Teddy gives a character those prank glasses and Yukiko starts laugh at them stupidly, or all those times Chie makes clever remarks to anyone except herself. Every meeting at Junes starts the same and ends the same.

I don't know if P4G changes something to address those issues but something tells me it doesn't. But what I was pretty happy about was that P5's cast was very different and like in P3 you have the impression that there's a lot going on in the story and everything wraps up by the end.

Guess Who

Banned
Hey guys got a question:

there is DLC out there that lets you use some of the music from previous games. But how does that work. Is it randomly used time to time, do you turn it on (thus forcing you to eventually turn it off if you want to go back to the P5 BGM etc.)

"Normal" battles will play the appropriate game's battle music based on what costume Joker is wearing. If Joker is wearing the P3 costume, for instance, it'll play Mass Destruction. (This only applies to normal/"Last Surprise" battles; mini-bosses and bosses will play their normal P5 music).

I was always under the impression that the spin-offs were building up to some major crossover game (or anime) that would have revolved around (P3 ending spoilers)
the resurrection of the P3 protagonist
. But I never thought that game would be Persona 5. The mainline games are better off being stand-alone stories imo.

As someone who thinks the P3/P4 spinoffs are terribly written compared to the mainline games, feels all attempts to cross them over have largely just revealed how much they were never meant to really go together, and feels the P3 and P4 casts have had enough spotlight on them for the past decade that we don't really need any more of them, P5 going in a totally new and different direction with almost no connection to past games is exactly what I wanted.

They aren't on the same level sure but they are still enjoyable experiences and help expand the lore of the franchise.

I get what you mean about those characters already having enough spotlight from all the spinoffs but the problem is that they did have all that spotlight so its weird that this game has clear references to those games (Rise poster, ect) but characters you would think would get involved just aren't. Not even in passing or anything.

I think I'd be fine if this game was just meant to be standalone but it DOES have those references still, I think the game would have just been better served by NOT linking to those games in any way rather then what they ended up doing which just leads to more questions and a feeling of disappointment from fans of those spin offs.

Lunar15

I'm sure we'll get to see how Yu feels about the P5 protagonist when they're settling their differences out on the court.

Coming soon in Persona 5: B'Ballin' All Day.

Alright, cool, I have the Strength Level 10 Confidant. Finally, let's see what ability it grants.

*reads* Okay, but the cost must be prohibitive right?

*tries out a fusion*

MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, I AM BECOME DEATH DESTROYER OF WORLDS

Sup Palace 6 Boss, just hanging around here with a
Level 86
Persona, no biggy.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I was always under the impression that the spin-offs were building up to some major crossover game (or anime) that would have revolved around (P3 ending spoilers)
. But I never thought that game would be Persona 5. The mainline games are better off being stand-alone stories imo.
After Yu's appearance in Arena, P3 Hero deserves a speaking role too. I've wanted the conclusion to that story since it was hinted at in P4.
I hope we get another spinoff.

Xeteh

Alright, cool, I have the Strength Level 10 Confidant. Finally, let's see what ability it grants.

*reads* Okay, but the cost must be prohibitive right?

*tries out a fusion*

MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, I AM BECOME DEATH DESTROYER OF WORLDS

Sup Palace 6 Boss, just hanging around here with a
Level 86
Persona, no biggy.

Yeah, with how much Yen you make just playing the game the cost isn't really bad at all.

Yeah I guess we could always see another fighting game with the new characters teaming up with the old ones and helping to bring about the spoiler you were referencing but I really was expecting to at least see SOME sort of inclusion in this game, hell if the class field trip had been to Inaba and you stay at Yukiko's inn that would've been referencing the field trip that P4 has when you go the P3 school.

It's also just weird because as others have said pretty much every Persona game outside of 5 has fairly clear references to the previous games except for this one. It's just an odd choice to me.

Also is it me or did anyone else just hate all the trips and events in this game? (Various spoilers for midgame and beyond)
So the field trip to Hawaii sucked with Mishima fanboying it out every day, Ryuji complaining every day, ect. Then you have the school festival which is next to non-existent as a fun little event since the whole thing is dedicated to the team trying to recruit Akechi. The TV studio event is also about Akechi, and while I haven't seen the last event yet so far its just all been really disappointing.
It just feels completely wasted in having the characters really have a chance to play off each other, the P4 events were just so perfect helping to build the team dynamic and in general being hilarious or at least interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom