• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Saprol

There's a trophy tied to those? I swear I've only had a teammate taken hostage once in 128 hours of game.
I deliberately got surrounded in the last palace over and over with my party members almost dead trying to bait the hostage effect because it hadn't happened yet.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Do I need to do anything special for the hidden trophies? Also how do I get the True ending? I'm nervous, cause I'm on the 6th palace...

I guess I need a guide more than a list lol.
There is a spoiler free guide on gamefaqs I'm using that is working well for me so far. Don't know how well it does trophies or if there is much wiggle room for farming or grinding.

There is a spoiler free guide on gamefaqs I'm using that is working well for me so far. Don't know how well it does trophies or if there is much wiggle room for farming or grinding.

You can save time by using the fortune arcana to get social stats and social links up faster then the guide does. It gives you extra free time starting around late October to start blowing through books and such.

spidye

recruiting new personas is really irritating this time

enjoying the game so far but why did the game (very early spoilers for fusions)
force me to fuse arsene with a low level persona?

Guess Who

Banned

Presumably to
stop people from clinging to Arsene well past its usefulness because it looks cool

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

You didn't lose him. He's in the compendium for like 1000 yen.

MTC100

Banned
10/26

shit is getting real ! also i think i have a good idea of the 'real culprit', the character model was clearly feminine when she shot the big bang burger guy and we've only seen one female character wearing all black through out the game.

I see, wonder if you're right with your assumption.

Guess Who

Banned
The
smaller ones get insta-killed by mudoon. Just one shot em and focus down the big.

Yep, I'm really lucky I had a Persona with both
Maeigaon and Mamudoon for that fight. Eiga to knock them all down and get some heavy damage in on Michael, Mamudoon to follow up and kill the Angels

Opa-Pa

To be fair you're not really forced to fuse Arsene specifically unless you haven't captured enough personas by the time you visit the Velvet Room. I didn't want to get rid of him and had 3 more personas, I think, so I fused other 2.

It is silly that they force you to fuse at all though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
do you still have your days until the deadline if you send out the caling card early for palace 7, like the rest of them?

RalchAC

Yep, I'm really lucky I had a Persona with both
Maeigaon and Mamudoon for that fight. Eiga to knock them all down and get some heavy damage in on Michael, Mamudoon to follow up and kill the Angels

I noticed that after the 3rd fight with those adds. Shame on me. However, I found out that
you can use the reflect magic spell to cast Divine Judgement into its caster,
effectively halving its life. Mwehehe!

do you still have your days until the deadline if you send out the caling card early for palace 7, like the rest of them?

Yup.

You have to fish, play baseball and water your plants at least once though, in case you missed these three.

A new one appeared when I worked at the flower store, is that the same as the watering plants one? I'm probably going to garden anyway but I figured I'd check.

Opa-Pa

Eikichi (P2:IS) > The rest of the "bros"

Eikichi is my favourite character in the series though, so it's hard for the likes of Junpei, Ryuji or Yosuke to compare.

I doubt literally any character from the main cast of a modern Persona game is better than a P2 IS or EP one, not really fair.

But yeah, Eikichi is top 5.

Splinter

I'm probably picking up the game later today, I just have one last question..

Is the combat in this game boring, are there too many battles? (For a non-jrpg fan) I used to live jrpgs, finally fantasy 7-9, Dragoon, Chrono trigger, etc. This was before a more active rpg combat system was popular for rpgs. Now turn based combat seems boring, I view it as a chore.

Does Persona's combat appeal to someone like me? Does it have any redeeming qualities combat wise that would make it more interesting?

How often are battles? I hate random encounters, I do not like battles popping up every couple of steps. I wouldn't mind the turn based combat as much if the battles were scarce. Every persona video I've watched seems to have battles every 30 seconds... is that accurate?

Toki767

Is the combat in this game boring, are there too many battles? (For a non-jrpg fan) I used to live jrpgs, finally fantasy 7-9, Dragoon, Chrono trigger, etc. This was before a more active rpg combat system was popular for rpgs. Now turn based combat seems boring, I view it as a chore.

Does Persona's combat appeal to someone like me? Does it have any redeeming qualities combat wise that would make it more interesting?

How often are battles? I hate random encounters, I do not like battles popping up every couple of steps. I wouldn't mind the turn based combat as much if the battles were scarce. Every persona video I've watched seems to have battles every 30 seconds... is that accurate?
There are no random battles.

You see enemies on the screen and you can engage them.

Eikichi (P2:IS) > The rest of the "bros"

Eikichi is my favourite character in the series though, so it's hard for the likes of Junpei, Ryuji or Yosuke to compare.

Truth.
Eikichi will never be topped. They keep reusing the same archetype for every bro character. Junpei, Ryuji and Yosuke are pretty much the same guy. Atlus just adjusts the anger slider a little bit every time. Eikichi was unique.

Still love all the bros though.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

No random encounters but there are a lot of battles. It's hard to say if you'd like it. It's essentially a battle system where you gain free turns by targeting enemy weaknesses. But the same goes in reverse. So battles can be very fast and zippy, or can go south pretty quickly. It's part of the charm.

IMO it's the best turn based battle system of all time. Extremely fast, plus the whole demonic Pokemon aspect of collecting enemies....ain't nothing like it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
rage -> killed mysefl. Welp guess I'll need a physical nul or at least strong persona on me >_>

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm over 80 hours and it hasn't happened once. I'm going for the platinum and am annoyed I don't have such a basic trophy.

I've seen it happen twice in 140 hours. Got it on the second try. It's a bit ridiculous. In fact I can't say I've seen it happen outside of the first palace.

nOoblet16

Persona's turn based combat is probably one of the most unique and refreshing ones out there. It is fast and requires a lot of active engagement and at any point you are constantly indeed planning ahead which is more than I can say for a lot of other turn based games. Buffs/debuffs are more important here than in most JRPGs. Enemies and yourself, epending on your Persona..Who are basically Pokémons with different stats, can have weakness, strength, immunity and even exotic perks like actually gaining life from being attacked with that element and even repelling the damage back to normal the enemy.

But the most unique aspect of Persona's combat is the 1 more system. Anytime you hit an enemy with a critical attack or an element that it's weak to you down them and get 1 extra chance instantly. You can then attack another enemy to down them and keep following until they are all down, at which point you can either go all out attack that deals massive damage or talk to them to negotiate for an item, money or ask for their power (basically capture them).

Another thing you can do when you get you extra chance is that instead of taking the turn yourself you can pass it over to a teammate (basically give your additional turn to be used by your teammate), this is called baton pass. When you do a baton pass the teammate gains increased damage stats and you can use this along with the exploiting weakness bit I mention previously as long as you keep downing enemies.

What this means is that you can finish fights before the enemy even gets a turn, but this also means the enemies can do the exact same thing to you and kill you before you even get a chance. Which is why to avoid this you have to ambush them because ambushing them means the entire team goes once before the enemy gets their turn. But if they ambush you, the reverse becomes true. If neither you or your enemy ambush and start the fight then the turn depends on whoever has the highest agility.

The combat system Atlus has in place has had years of refinement behind it and I think it's the best turn based system I've ever experienced. Also game has no random encounters, because fuck random encounters.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Also game has no random encounters, because fuck random encounters.

vb9b5sozes.gif

nOoblet16

rage -> killed mysefl. Welp guess I'll need a physical nul or at least strong persona on me >_>
This is where it gets interesting, enrage your enemies then make it so that you attract all the enemy hits....While you keep a physical repel persona. Then just watch as the enemies killed themselves.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
This is where it gets interesting, enrage your enemies then make it so that you attract all the enemy hits....While you keep a physical repel persona. Then just watch as the enemies killed themselves.

Oh hai Rangda.
It's Rangda for everybody

Looks like ailment susceptibility affects Hama and Mudo success rates like in other games.

This changes EVERYTHING. Fuck I always flush that move...

DNAbro

Only have a few more trophies left.

Complete Compendium
Do all Requests
Max out all Confidants
Fuse
Satanel
and Catch Guardian.

120 hours in and at the last palace in NG+.

nOoblet16

Seriously, I wanted to play Lost Odyssey when it became backward compatible and I just couldn't. Doesn't help that the turn based combat is so vanilla (no I don't like timing rings).

Nothing grates me more than the time wasting that random battles bring about. You go to a low level area with worthless enemies and you end up doing random battles. You kill them, move forwards but you realise you missed something 3 feets back so you turn and bam...Random battle ! Now I wait while I OHK these enemies and sit through all the intro and win sequence. What a ginormous waste of time ! I firmly believe random battles existed because of memory restrictions in retro consoles, but it became a style of it's own hah.

Another thing I do hope for in JRPGs is for them to start moving away from intro and win celebration for common mobs because it is a bit tiring and a time water as well. The consoles now are powerful enough to have the fight start immediately in the same area you are in rather than a separate arena where you get in and out of fight seamlessly without the need of any intro and win celebration. FFXV does this quite well as the game doesn't stop when you finish the fight but just gives you stats on part of the screen while letting you move as normal. This can be done for turn based games too.

And while we are at it, more battle themes for common mobs rather than just 1-2 would be nice too. Persona 5 has 110 tracks but only two battle themes for common mobs. This is another thing FFXV did well.

nOoblet16

Only have a few more trophies left.

Complete Compendium
Do all Requests
Max out all Confidants
Fuse
Satanel
and Catch Guardian.

120 hours in and at the last palace in NG+.
I have the exact same trophies remaining. I only have one confidant remaining. The requests will finish on their own. I have 3-4 million yen and I am level 99 so I can just fuse everything....Except the treasure demons who are a bitch to spawn even with traps. I used traps in palace 6 and broke every object, and the demo didn't spawn even once.

Alright, I maxed every Confidant except for Yusuke, Iwai (weapons dealer), Shinya (gamer kid) and the politician (stuck at rank 9, ugh). Not terrible but I only failed to max one social link (the French kid) in Persona 3 ten years ago on my first playthrough. I'm getting old.

Seriously, I wanted to play Lost Odyssey when it became backward compatible and I just couldn't. Doesn't help that the turn based combat is so vanilla (no I don't like timing rings).

I love Lost Odyssey but every time a random battle would trigger I would just ask the game: "Why?"
I don't mind it in old FF or Dragon Quest games but I don't want to see that shit in a modern game.

I love the stealth mechanic and the way you initiate battles so much in Persona 5 that I can excuse the not having the typically superior random battles. If Persona 5 were still like the other games where you have to run up and swing at a shadow's ass, I would take random battles over that in a second.

12/24
So I just finished the series of Angel bosses. How long before the boss of this chapter? I got SO CLOSE to maxing out Haru and Sojiro, but I didn't take into account that they wouldn't be available on all free days.

Thank god my parents went to church, or they could have walked into me fighting a giant Mara squad.

gun_haver

I dunno what happned man but I'm so bored of this game now.

I'm just skipping all the dialogue for now and hoping maybe by the time the next dungeon is getting set up I'll be behind enough on what is going on that I'll only need to sit through it being repeated 2 or 3 times instead of 50.

Rhaknar

why exactly does
Shido
get 2 turns in a row without hitting weaknesses? oh because reasons thats why.

Hate when games do that shit

Top Bottom