• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

12/24
So I just finished the series of Angel bosses. How long before the boss of this chapter? I got SO CLOSE to maxing out Haru and Sojiro, but I didn't take into account that they wouldn't be available on all free days.

Thank god my parents went to church, or they could have walked into me fighting a giant Mara squad.

You're basically at the final boss.

Also, I'm only bringing this up because you said your parents went to church, but the end of the game definitely risks offending sensitive religious types.

nOoblet16

I love the stealth mechanic and the way you initiate battles so much in Persona 5 that I can excuse the not having the typically superior random battles. If Persona 5 were still like the other games where you have to run up and swing at a shadow's ass, I would take random battles over that in a second.
Typically superior random battles..I don't see it.

The only way I can take and digest random encounters is when they are done like how they were done in FFXIII-2. The enemy spawns would be random and you'll still have character control while they spawn so you can choose to run away or engage. Random encounters where the screen suddenly freezes and takes you to battles are such a time waster and annoyance "Oh I moved 3 feets back now I am in a random encounter".

Xevren

I have the exact same trophies remaining. I only have one confidant remaining. The requests will finish on their own. I have 3-4 million yen and I am level 99 so I can just fuse everything....Except the treasure demons who are a bitch to spawn even with traps. I used traps in palace 6 and broke every object, and the demo didn't spawn even once.

If you're at the end of the game it's easier to just catch the treasure demons in mementos. Last few treasure demons can show up in the last few floors in the last set.

Setsu00

You're basically at the final boss.

Also, I'm only bringing this up because you said your parents went to church, but the end of the game definitely risks offending sensitive religious types.

SMT and Persona aren't really the kind of games that you should buy if you're sensitive of that kind of material in the first place.

nOoblet16

If you're at the end of the game it's easier to just catch the treasure demons in mementos. Last few treasure demons can show up in the last few floors in the last set.
Yea I know, but it still requires a lot of time to go around. And last dungeon has 3 exclusive treasure demons, which means I'll get several duplicates before I get them all...Especially since one of them is a bitch to get.

Dantis

Just lost an absolute ton of gametime because I died in the final dungeon and there doesn't seem to be any saferooms?

It's a great dungeon, but fuck me that's some harsh design.

SkylineRKR

Random battles are the worst, and those fake ones where you absolutely cannoit avoid one sucks too (hello FFXIII).

In games like Tales you can pretty much avoid quite a bit and just fight what you want. In P5 you can also avoid a decent chunk if you choose so but you need to be a bit stealthy. There are those smoke bombs though I threw through memento floors and just casually went past everyone. I think its good this way, there are options to avoid almost everything and some caution is rewarded.

Zolo

10/20: Neat.
I know some people pointed out it was weird how Sae was 24 years old, but she just made a comment regarding how it's weird to be given a case because of her being fairly inexperienced.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Only have a few more trophies left.

Complete Compendium
Do all Requests
Max out all Confidants
Fuse
Satanel
and Catch Guardian.

120 hours in and at the last palace in NG+.

Tip for that goddamn fish:

Cast the bait towards it, and when it starts to swim towards the bait, reel in. Repeat until the goddamn fish is as close to you as possible, that way you don't have to reel that much when you've actually hooked it.

It still sucks. Fuck that fish.

Jisgsaw

A new one appeared when I worked at the flower store, is that the same as the watering plants one? I'm probably going to garden anyway but I figured I'd check.

Whoops my bad, it was working at the flower shop, not watering your plant.
Though you should definitely water your plant, dat +3 free kindness....

Opa-Pa

I think random battles aren't intrinsically bad, just like non-random ones aren't always good.

I like how games like Etrian Odyssey and Nocturne do random ones, where you have an indicator on screen at all times that tells you how close you're to trigger an encounter, so you can plan accordingly, and sometimes even stop them. Stupid high encounter rates always make them bad though, and it's part of the reason why Persona 2 is unbearable to play through. DDS also suffers from this, specially having those elaborate dungeons, but at least the combat is fantastic so it's not that bad.

Persona 3 and 4 had the right idea but I think they didn't make initiating encounters dynamic enough, so it ends up feeling dull.

P5 is so damn fun in this respect though, the stealth had it quirks, but for the most part it makes traversing areas with enemies very exciting.

----

Anyway Palace 7
I think I locked myself into a pretty bad situation by making it out of the "cleaner" boss fight with the whole party except Joker out of SP and running into Akechi. Oh boy.

Typically superior random battles..I don't see it.

The only way I can take and digest random encounters is when they are done like how they were done in FFXIII-2. The enemy spawns would be random and you'll still have character control while they spawn so you can choose to run away or engage. Random encounters where the screen suddenly freezes and takes you to battles are such a time waster and annoyance "Oh I moved 3 feets back now I am in a random encounter".

Just like there's nothing fun about getting thrown into random encounters as you're exploring a dungeon, there's also nothing fun about trying to navigate a floor of enemy avatars as you try and either get behind them to ambush or weave your way through them to avoid fights. It's almost always tedious, except when it's made to be fun like in Persona 5.

The difference is that with random encounters, it's actually contributing to a sense of dread as you travel. Only got a couple restorative items left and are a floor away from safety? Every step is agony as you hope you don't get thrown into a battle with a tough enemy with no way to avoid it. And that's cool I think. With enemies on the field it just boils down into a frustrating side-step fest because character movement is awkward for those kinds of situations.

And there's not one way to do random battles. Random battles during puzzle sections? Complete shit, I agree. Random battles in places you've long out-leveled? Complete shit, I agree.

nOoblet16

I think random battles aren't intrinsically bad, just like non-random ones aren't always good.

I like how games like Etrian Odyssey and Nocturne do random ones, where you have an indicator on screen at all times that tells you how close you're to trigger an encounter, so you can plan accordingly, and sometimes even stop them. Stupid high encounter rates always make them bad though, and it's part of the reason why Persona 2 is unbearable to play through.

Persona 3 and 4 had the right idea but I think they didn't make initiating encounters dynamic enough, so it ends up feeling dull.

P5 is so damn fun in this respect though, the stealth had it quirks, but for the most part it makes traversing areas with enemies very exciting.

----

Anyway Palace 7
I think I locked myself into a pretty bad situation by making it out of the "cleaner" boss fight with the whole party except Joker out of SP and running into Akechi. Oh boy.
I like how XIII-2 did it, random enemy spawns then you can ambush them or get ambushed or just escape the battle. The amazing thing was the music would dynamically shift to an "aggressive version" seamlessly when the enemy spawns and then transfers back to normal if you decide to not engage. Every level specific theme in the game had an aggressive mix version for this reason.

As for your spoiler, I just used Haru's vegetables and curry.

Dantis

Just checked, lost a whole fucking hour of play.

Is there nowhere to save? Might just have to stick to using a Persona with Enduring Soul.

nOoblet16

Just like there's nothing fun about getting thrown into random encounters as you're exploring a dungeon, there's also nothing fun about trying to navigate a floor of enemy avatars as you try and either get behind them to ambush or weave your way through them to avoid fights. It's almost always tedious, except when it's made to be fun like in Persona 5.

The difference is that with random encounters, it's actually contributing to a sense of dread as you travel. Only got a couple restorative items left and are a floor away from safety? Every step is agony as you hope you don't get thrown into a battle with a tough enemy with no way to avoid it. And that's cool I think. With enemies on the field it just boils down into a frustrating side-step fest.

And there's not one way to do random battles. Random battles during puzzle sections? Complete shit, I agree. Random battles in places you've long out-leveled? Complete shit, I agree.
You do not need random battles to get that sense of dread. You can have an unavoidable encounter or an enemy ambush, you can also do it like XIII-2 where the spawns are random but decision to start the battle is on you. As much as the sense of dread is nice when you are low on items, it's not always nice...especially if instead of being low on items you have no items if you've just traversed an area for like an hour and then die because you cannot fight anymore.

Very mild Tower rank 4 spoilers
"A grown-up shouldn't spend so much time playing videogames."
Hey, who do you think you are? Nintendo? How dare you, Persona 5!

Opa-Pa

This changes EVERYTHING. Fuck I always flush that move...

Yup. I can't recall which game also did this, but I noticed that the Ongyo Ki mini-boss insisted in using either foul breath or stagnant air constantly to then spam mudoon and no ailments at all. That has to be it.

I'll try it myself with a persona with stagnant air amd mamudoon/mahamaon.

The difference is that with random encounters, it's actually contributing to a sense of dread as you travel. Only got a couple restorative items left and are a floor away from safety? Every step is agony as you hope you don't get thrown into a battle with a tough enemy with no way to avoid it. And that's cool I think. With enemies on the field it just boils down into a frustrating side-step fest because character movement is awkward for those kinds of situations.

Yeah I agree, the sense of tension random battles can add to exploration can be fantastic if things are well thought. And I think it works particularly well in first person dungeon crawlers. Strange Journey in particular it's all about its sense of dread and otherworldlyness, so random battles kept me on my toes the entire ride. What a fucking game that is.

I like how XIII-2 did it, random enemy spawns then you can ambush them or get ambushed or just escape the battle. The amazing thing was the music would dynamically shift to an "aggressive version" seamlessly when the enemy spawns and then transfers back to normal if you decide to not engage. Every level specific theme in the game had an aggressive mix version for this reason.

That does sound like a pretty cool way to handle it. For all the shit that trilogy gets, I keep finding little overlooked aspects like this that sound pretty fun. I have to give XIII another try someday...

DNAbro

I have the exact same trophies remaining. I only have one confidant remaining. The requests will finish on their own. I have 3-4 million yen and I am level 99 so I can just fuse everything....Except the treasure demons who are a bitch to spawn even with traps. I used traps in palace 6 and broke every object, and the demo didn't spawn even once.

Did you raise the alert level? Treasure demons are much more common when in the orange/red area. Though in end game it's kind of hard to force it there.

RalchAC

So, I've finished the game a while ago. I've been postponing posting my overall thoughts but here they are:

I've tried my best to not put spoilers, but if anybody think there is anything I should tag, feel free to tell me.

I've loved the game. It's not the life changing experience that Persona 4 Golden was for me, but I knew from day one that it wasn't going to be. I'm at a different spot in my life now, after all.

However, I can safely say that this game is the culmination of the road that started with Persona 3. They've taken the different elements that they created throughout the year, refined them and gave them a new and nice coat of red paint. The handcrafted dungeons were a necessity, the bigger story focus is a nice change of pace and I'd say the game has less pacing issues than Persona 3 and 4. Furthermore, I think the battle system is the best the series it's ever seen. It's took cues from mainline SMT while staying true to the original formula and adding a wider range of options like the Batton Pass. I loved how useful status aliments felt (like how you can get money from enemies using Confuse, or how you skip recruit conversations to a brainwashed enemy).

The game sets a new standard when it comes to UI, especially during battles. Having each action assigned to a button is incredible. After a few hours, it becomes a second nature.

I think gameplay goes along quite well with the game. You are a phantom thief. Everything you do is about intel. Looking for information, securing a route, that kind of stuff. Usually, long fights are equal to a Game Over. However, you can know most enemies weaknesses beforehand by fusing the dungeon Personas in the Velvet Room. And, once you've gathered information about the different enemies and their weaknesses, fights can be finished in a whim.

Overall, the game is the definitive refinement of a decade-long formula. However, and despite it being the "definitive version" of what the team has aimed to do since Persona 3, the game is far for perfect. Maybe due to it being a more complete package, the flaws the systems have always had are more noticeable.

Romance is probably the biggest flaw. It's an option that it's there, but it doesn't have any weight in the story. They certainly made a bigger effort in the last few weeks of the game, but they need to step up their game. The way it's triggered and seeing how formulaic it feels at times (it's always when you're leveling a Confidant from level 8 to 9) doesn't do it any favours. Other characters acknowledging it in some way, even if it's not fully voiced would have been great.

Furthermore, I don't think romancing every single female character is a good idea. I don't think, for instance, that the Temperance arcana should be an option at all. It completely destroys any kind of impact the Confidant has. It completely goes against the narrative.

To a lesser extent, this applies to other adults. Seeing how the beginning hours of the game are
about a teacher sexually abusing a student, I wasn't really comfortable with that decision, despite Tae being in my top 5 as far as P5 characters go.

Other than that, there are some problems with Confidants feeling "out of place" if you neglect him for a while after they are first introducted. However, one thing that Persona 5 mostly fixes, is the "is this the right answer?" pressure from previous entries. The Fortune arcana helps a lot in that regard.

Overall, I'd say it's a great game. It had been years since the last time a game have managed to grab me as much. It was like one of those times you read a book and can't help but go back to it everytime you have 30 spare minutes. The wait was worth it, and I'm looking forward to Persona 6 a few years down the line. I think that, now that they've sorted most of the biggest issues the franchise previously had (boring dungeons mainly, but the battle system is much more complex than it was in Persona 4), they need to go all out and evalute the VN aspects in the same way they did with the rest of the systems. If they manage to solve the flaws mentioned above, I don't know what they will be able to do to beat themselves after that.

Can someone explain how treasure skimmer (futaba skill) works? Trying to get liquid mercury and it tells me they have it, then when I negotiate they give me something else. If I kill them I get nothing.

SkylineRKR

XIII-2 did it right, enemies pop up and a ring appears. If you leave that ring you ran from the battle and everything is chill again. Its easy to do so if you desire.

XIII however, enemies are on screen but I think you can't avoid any of them. Maybe on a select few wide areas.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
jesus
Shido
just fucking die already.

Palace 7 down, time to wrap it up... tomorow, cause I gotta go to work (thats why the double turns were annoying me, I was on a timer lol)

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Seriously, I wanted to play Lost Odyssey when it became backward compatible and I just couldn't. Doesn't help that the turn based combat is so vanilla (no I don't like timing rings).

Nothing grates me more than the time wasting that random battles bring about. You go to a low level area with worthless enemies and you end up doing random battles. You kill them, move forwards but you realise you missed something 3 feets back so you turn and bam...Random battle ! Now I wait while I OHK these enemies and sit through all the intro and win sequence. What a ginormous waste of time ! I firmly believe random battles existed because of memory restrictions in retro consoles, but it became a style of it's own hah.

Another thing I do hope for in JRPGs is for them to start moving away from intro and win celebration for common mobs because it is a bit tiring and a time water as well. The consoles now are powerful enough to have the fight start immediately in the same area you are in rather than a separate arena where you get in and out of fight seamlessly without the need of any intro and win celebration. FFXV does this quite well as the game doesn't stop when you finish the fight but just gives you stats on part of the screen while letting you move as normal. This can be done for turn based games too.

And while we are at it, more battle themes for common mobs rather than just 1-2 would be nice too. Persona 5 has 110 tracks but only two battle themes for common mobs. This is another thing FFXV did well.

I think it should at the very least be a toggle. Like with fight intros and outros, or not. Or one of the two turned on. I mean P5's fight outro is incredibly stylish but it is the same over....over and over. Of Joker running in circles Simpsons style. And I also agree on the music. Maybe next time, do a slight variation of the battle theme for each dungeon, like how each floor of Tartarus was one piece of music but with slight differences for each floor. Or at the very least, don't lock other battle themes behind DLC shenanigans.

Guess Who

Banned
Speaking of DLC battle themes, I'm still fucking bummed that no amount of money can buy you regular-ass Reach Out to the Truth as a battle theme.

Thud

Need liquid mercury and iron sand for those last tools.
After that those treasure demons.
Compendium (92%)
Final request.
Story social links.
NG+ boss fight.

OmegaDL50

Seriously, I wanted to play Lost Odyssey when it became backward compatible and I just couldn't. Doesn't help that the turn based combat is so vanilla (no I don't like timing rings).

Nothing grates me more than the time wasting that random battles bring about. You go to a low level area with worthless enemies and you end up doing random battles. You kill them, move forwards but you realise you missed something 3 feets back so you turn and bam...Random battle ! Now I wait while I OHK these enemies and sit through all the intro and win sequence. What a ginormous waste of time ! I firmly believe random battles existed because of memory restrictions in retro consoles, but it became a style of it's own hah.

Another thing I do hope for in JRPGs is for them to start moving away from intro and win celebration for common mobs because it is a bit tiring and a time water as well. The consoles now are powerful enough to have the fight start immediately in the same area you are in rather than a separate arena where you get in and out of fight seamlessly without the need of any intro and win celebration. FFXV does this quite well as the game doesn't stop when you finish the fight but just gives you stats on part of the screen while letting you move as normal. This can be done for turn based games too.

And while we are at it, more battle themes for common mobs rather than just 1-2 would be nice too. Persona 5 has 110 tracks but only two battle themes for common mobs. This is another thing FFXV did well.

I agree with everything except for the bolded. A game being turned based or not has pretty much been a stylistic choice, especially so for the RPG genre since it's earliest conception for even consoles no less. In fact Action RPGs such as Dragon Slayer and even Xanadu from Falcom were released in the early 1980's predating even Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.

There are other examples, one notable one being the Ys series which is almost as old as Dragon Quest too. In fact all of the games I mentioned are from Falcom. I guess Falcom really was the progenitor of the Action RPG combat system.

Funny enough it's interesting how their recent popular Trails series has Turn Based mechanics.

I think the format done in Persona 5 is best Atlus has done so far. As opposed to the randomized dungeons in previous installments.

Only have a few more trophies left.

Complete Compendium
Do all Requests
Max out all Confidants
Fuse
Satanel
and Catch Guardian.

120 hours in and at the last palace in NG+.
I only need the last two. Fishing in this game compared to persona 4 is AWFUL though. I don't think I will ever get it.

RalchAC

I agree with everything except for the bolded. A game being turned based or not has pretty much been a stylistic choice, especially so for the RPG genre since it's earliest conception for even consoles no less. In fact Action RPGs such as Dragon Slayer and even Xanadu from Falcom were released in the early 1980's predating even Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.

There are other examples, one notable one being the Ys series which is almost as old as Dragon Quest too. In fact all of the games I mentioned are from Falcom. I guess Falcom really was the progenitor of the Action RPG combat system.

Funny enough it's interesting how their recent popular Trails series has Turn Based mechanics.

I think the format done in Persona 5 is best Atlus has done so far. As opposed to the randomized dungeons in previous installments.

He is not talking about turn based battle systems. He is talking about random battles as opposed to being able to actually see the enemies on the field before engaging a fight with them.

How do I start Kawakami's Confidant rank? I went through
meeting her as the maid. Then she left and I don't know what I need to do next.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Better block out several hours if you're planning to finish it tomorrow.

oh lol fuck off,
there's still a lot after this
? haha

Morgana the little fucker wont let me go downstairs to
call Becky for my massage
;_;

NotLiquid

A simple yes or no question from people who have already beaten the game (I have not)

Is the period between finishing Shido's Palace the last period I can use for finishing Social Links?

RalchAC

A simple yes or no question from people who have already beaten the game (I have not)

Is the period between finishing Shido's Palace the last period I can use for finishing Social Links?

You have the usual "wait and see what happens period" if you send the calling card early and a couple of days after that. Like 2 or 3.

Finished Palace Seven today. Just need to send the calling card. That was....not as bad as I expected. I'd even go so far as to say it's not my least favorite palace. That would probably be the Fifth.

NotLiquid

You have the usual "wait and see what happens period" if you send the calling card early and a couple of days after that. Like 2 or 3.

Goddammit.
I don't think I can max out Haru's Social Link then. I've only had it on Rank 1 since the Proficiency stat is annoying as fuck to boost. 23 days to max it out seems like a reach at this point.

this stupid cat is reLly testing my patience. i get the whole go to bed early thing, but why is it stopping me from buying stuff at stores? fuck off. oh and all the lady ann BS really sucks. i hate these loser "cutsy" animal characters

OmegaDL50

this stupid cat is reLly testing my patience. i get the whole go to bed early thing, but why is it stopping me from buying stuff at stores? fuck off. oh and all the lady ann BS really sucks. i hate these loser "cutsy" animal characters

This mechanic existed in previous games.

Instead of Morganna telling you to go to sleep it would instead be internal dialog of the MC saying stuff like "I'm too tired to do this, I'll just go to sleep" or "I don't have time to shop right now, I'll come back later"

Top Bottom