• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Playing through new game plus and starting the second arc. Holy fuck I still really hate Yusuke

I had forgotten
he was using blackmail for the nude painting

nOoblet16

this stupid cat is reLly testing my patience. i get the whole go to bed early thing, but why is it stopping me from buying stuff at stores? fuck off. oh and all the lady ann BS really sucks. i hate these loser "cutsy" animal characters
It's atleast not Teddie type of cutsey, who can't even walk without making "cutesy sounds". There's also the fact that Teddie turns from that to a fuckboi looking human because reasons. Morgana is pretty interesting actually and not as cutsey as mascot characters usually are.

There's nothing negative from dating multiple girls right? I've heard
that the only bad thing is you get beat up by them all, but nothing is actually effected right?

RalchAC

Goddammit.
I don't think I can max out Haru's Social Link then. I've only had it on Rank 1 since the Proficiency stat is annoying as fuck to boost. 23 days to max it out seems like a reach at this point.

I think I didn't had a single "I think your bond won't deepen yet" moment with Haru. And if there is one, there is always the Fortune arcana.

Machina

Banned
I'm currently going through one of those dilemmas where you can't bring yourself to make progress on someone's social link because you can't stand the character involved. I'm getting this with Ryuji, Yuseke and Mishima. I just...don't care guys lol

Opa-Pa

I'm currently going through one of those dilemmas where you can't bring yourself to make progress on someone's social link because you can't stand the character involved. I'm getting this with Ryuji, Yuseke and Mishima. I just...don't care guys lol

Disgusting!!

nOoblet16

I agree with everything except for the bolded. A game being turned based or not has pretty much been a stylistic choice, especially so for the RPG genre since it's earliest conception for even consoles no less. In fact Action RPGs such as Dragon Slayer and even Xanadu from Falcom were released in the early 1980's predating even Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.

There are other examples, one notable one being the Ys series which is almost as old as Dragon Quest too. In fact all of the games I mentioned are from Falcom. I guess Falcom really was the progenitor of the Action RPG combat system.

Funny enough it's interesting how their recent popular Trails series has Turn Based mechanics.

I think the format done in Persona 5 is best Atlus has done so far. As opposed to the randomized dungeons in previous installments.
I'm not talking about turn based battles. Turn based gameplay predates even video games afterall. I'm talking about random encounters where you walk around and empty field, then suddenly the game is now having you fight enemies in a separate small new arena. All of that is suspiciously convenient and I really believed it was there due to memory restrictions that they couldn't have these enemies displayed on screen or have them fight in the same location, and then it became a tradition to do it so that even PS360 era games did it.

Honestly I got this feeling with a lot of social links in P4G (Marie, Shuhei, that nurse woman), but I've been pretty smitten with the ones in 5.

Except Mishima. Well, he's fun to bully.

nOoblet16

Ryuji is quite different in his Slink though, plus dude always wants to either go to ramen shop or train.

Dabi

Finished my third palace and waiting for the change at 45 hours of playtime... yeah this playthrough is going to be a while 😭

nOoblet16

Honestly I got this feeling with a lot of social links in P4G (Marie, Shuhei, that nurse woman), but I've been pretty smitten with the ones in 5.

Except Mishima. Well, he's fun to bully.
Mishima is the kind of guy who even the kindest person alive would love to bully. Plus he really is an NPC.

PK Gaming

You better finish Yusuke's confidant

Or else the "Phantom Thieves" might be paying you a visit

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
not done yet but events up to and including Palace 7 spoilers

Im not a big fan that they wrap everything up with a neat little bow by linking every case to Shido. I understand why they do it, but I dont like it.

RalchAC

Mishima is the kind of guy who even the kindest person alive would love to bully. Plus he really is an NPC.

The game realizes that. I think it's quite telling when during the trip to Hawaii you have to
share the room with him and the 3 different answers you can give when Ryuji asks: "How was it?" are different ways of complaining because he just won't stop talking about the Phantom Thieves.

kadotsu

Banned
Got the Platinum, the (NG+ Boss)
twin
fight was great. I'm already looking forward to the re-release. There is a lot of potential for new crazy confidant stories.

Guess Who

Banned

Im not a big fan that they wrap everything up with a neat little bow by linking every case to Shido. I understand why they do it, but I dont like it.

I definitely agree that linking even
Madarame and Kaneshiro to Shido seemed really unnecessary

nOoblet16

They gave Reaper life leech as an attack...that isn't cool. Especially when I'm trying to farm it at level 17.
As far as I know Reaper I had access to most if not all attacks/elements. Anyways how are you only level 17? Isn't the first flue season in October? You should be like 40 or so by that time.

Even then it's not really easy to farm him without having a vanish ball or the star confidant escape ability. More so if you can't survive even one hit from him.

nOoblet16

This world needs more modern SMT games btw (on platforms that are worth giving a shit about for these type of games).

I was too young to play the old ones (Pre Persona 3) plus they were niche games difficult to find, and they are dated as fuck now so difficult to enjoy.

Aki-at

I think it was at this point I really disliked Shido as a villain. They want the audience to feel he was a mastermind and throw these past guys in with him to make him out to be a bigger threat.

NotLiquid

I think I didn't had a single "I think your bond won't deepen yet" moment with Haru. And if there is one, there is always the Fortune arcana.

Hm, might still have a chance then.

Will have to exclusively work on Proficiency building then. Good thing I'm at Rank 4 for that. Time for tool crafting all day.

nOoblet16

P2 isn't that old. Give them a chance.
Demon-negotiation is pretty meh, but otherwise they are really enjoyable.
I don't mean dated in terms of graphics, but rather gameplay. I'd get Persona 2 on Vita (the PS1 classic and PSP remake) but people here have said Persona 2 plays awful. Nocturne looks cool but I'm really not sure about how much fun I'll have with it plus I'll have to get a PS2 for it or set up an emulator.

I like it thematically because
Pride is supposed to the most severe and the source of the other Deadly Sins.

I dislike it narratively because it doesn't work as well as they probably hoped.

Toki767

As far as I know Reaper I had access to most if not all attacks/elements. Anyways how are you only level 17? Isn't the first flue season in October? You should be like 40 or so by that time.

Even then it's not really easy to farm him without having a vanish ball or the star confidant escape ability. More so if you can't survive even one hit from him.

NG+.

I created a
Satanael
with Regeneration 1, 2, 3, and Firm Stance and have Divine Pillar equipped (not even sure if it stacks).

Basically Reaper damages me for less than I heal every turn.

Except when he uses Life Leech.

nOoblet16

NG+.

I created a
Satanael
with Regeneration 1, 2, 3, and Firm Stance and have Divine Pillar equipped (not even sure if it stacks).

Basically Reaper damages me for less than I heal every turn.

Except when he uses Life Leech.
Oh you are fighting him proper.

Toki767

Oh you are fighting him proper.

If you consider this proper I guess lol

yHOGVxp.gif

Opa-Pa

I don't mean dated in terms of graphics, but rather gameplay. I'd get Persona 2 on Vita (the PS1 classic and PSP remake) but people here have said Persona 2 plays awful. Nocturne looks cool but I'm really not sure about how much fun I'll have with it plus I'll have to get a PS2 for it or set up an emulator.

P2 are straight up the worst playing JRPGs I've ever finished, which pains me because they're Atlus' best written, most mature games out there. They're worth a watch but that's it... Also people love to recommend P2 but P1 is never mentioned, which is tragic because that one is actually fun and heavily connected to the story of P2.

But yeah personally I consider everything from Nocturne onwards "modern SMT" and they're worth a try, IMO. If you enjoy the combat in P5 you owe it to yourself to try at least Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga. From what you say it sounds like you aren't very fond handhelds, so I won't recommend the ones available on portables haha (they're fantastic tho!)

But yeah hopefully SMT5 or whatever Atlus teased at the Switch presentation is the start of a new era.

I've hit 70 hours or so, and as much as I've enjoyed my time playing it I'm also way past my peak interest. I'm in what I presume to be very late game at the
Shido
palace and I've just got the
recommendation letter.

How far am I from finishing a playthrough?

Toki767

I've hit 70 hours or so, and as much as I've enjoyed my time playing it I'm also way past my peak interest. I'm in what I presume to be very late game at the
Shido
palace and I've just got the
recommendation letter.

How far am I from finishing a playthrough?

Probably less than
10 hours
if you zoom straight to the end.

nOoblet16

P2 are straight up the worst playing JRPGs I've ever finished, which pains me because they're Atlus' best written, most mature games out there. They're worth a watch but that's it... Also people love to recommend P2 but P1 is never mentioned, which is tragic because that one is actually fun and heavily connected to the story of P2.

But yeah personally I consider everything from Nocturne onwards "modern SMT" and they're worth a try, IMO. If you enjoy the combat in P5 you owe it to yourself to try at least Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga. From what you say it sounds like you aren't very fond handhelds, so I won't recommend the ones available on portables haha (they're fantastic tho!)

But yeah hopefully SMT5 or whatever Atlus teased at the Switch presentation is the start of a new era.
I don't like portables because I can't play long games on them mainly because I get tired quickly because of small screen and having to bend my head down.

I've reached the sixth palace and I've got to stop for the day yet to my shame the main thing I'm thinking of regarding my current game progression is "my man needs to get himself a girl but I feel I need to see what Haru's links are like before making a (tricky) decision".
These are the real deadline woes of a phantom thief.

Some of that itemization gear makes me think that at some point I'll have to get all of it ready for the next playthrough and then do a hard mode run with all the hilariously overpowered gear equipped.

Zafir

I did some futaba line grinding on Momemtos, but I got bored so took a break from it. The trophy unlocked in dungeon 7. *phew*

Top Bottom